Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

J. Marston wrote: »
    League form is only going to get worse, in my opinion.

1. No motivation. Champions League places are gone so nothing to play for.

2. Champions League. That will/should be the players main focus. Basically throwing our last few cent on the roulette wheel.

3. World Cup. Players aren't going to strain themselves too much in pointless games when there's nothing to play for and there's a World Cup around 4 months away.

nothing to play for???!!! its man utd they are playing for...there is always something to play for. Do you think the fans or manager would accept players not trying?!!! any player not putting 100% effort into the shirt can go in the summer as far as I am concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

If United win the CL do they take a spot off the fourth placed team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If you think a poster is trolling, please report them. Don't call them out in the thread coz that's breach of charter.

Likewise for stating or implying that you or someone else should put another poster on ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

No
    Essien wrote: »

Yes, same as Liverpool in 06 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

yes, like when Liverpool won everton were 4th or when Chelsea won it spurs were 4th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    If you think a poster is trolling, please report them. Don't call them out in the thread coz that's breach of charter.

Likewise for stating or implying that you or someone else should put another poster on ignore.

No text talk :D......oh god I'm getting banned lol

Cheers, I couldn't remember what happened on previous occasions. I'm just imagining the meltdown here if Liverpool get 4th and you lot took their CL spot by going and winning the fecking thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Cheers, I couldn't remember what happened on previous occasions. I'm just imagining the meltdown here if Liverpool get 4th and you lot took their CL spot by going and winning the fecking thing!
    I dream about it every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Louis van Gaal will be looking for a job in England after the world cup apparently (according to Sky Sports!)

Good coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    Louis van Gaal will be looking for a job in England after the world cup apparently (according to Sky Sports!)

Good coach.

Does he like crossing a lot and blaming luck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

bangkok wrote: »
    yes, like when Liverpool won everton were 4th or when Chelsea won it spurs were 4th

But Liverpool didn't take the place from everton that year. There where 5 English clubs in the CL in 05/06. Changed since though.

xabi wrote: »
    But Liverpool didn't take the place from everton that year. There where 5 English clubs in the CL in 05/06. Changed since though.

That's the thing that threw me. I knew there was a rule change at some stage but wasn't sure what it was changed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

No
    TBH i think beggars cant be choosers when it comes to the Europa League. If we do have to suffer another 6 months like we have, then at least we will have two routes into the Champions league with the league position or potential Europa league champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Wasn't Louis Van Gaal interested in the job when Fergie was first stepping down around 2002?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Gary Neville retweeted someone saying that if United won the Champions League, and finished outside the top 4, there would be five English teams in the Champions League next season. He also said that he didn't realise that himself.

I'm not sure whether that is correct or not. I'm assuming it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Sum up your season in one gif thread on reddit. Good for a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

No

Interestingly enough from next season onwards I think 5 teams can qualify because UEFA plan to have the winners of the Champions league and Europa league get an automatic place in the Champions league.

So Europa league could be more important next year.

Although, I can't see any definite confimation on it.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11945/8730422/uefa-open-to-champions-league-including-five-english-teams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Good coach.

Old and inflexible. Nudging inexorably to 3-4-3 all the time and to hell with changing from that. It had gone to pot properly when he left Bayern. We'd play alright for a while...within eighteen months he'd have fallen out with everyone, and results would have turned. Probably amongst the top of the list of coaches I don't want to see here ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭bren2001

Julez wrote: »
    Interestingly enough from next season onwards I think 5 teams can qualify because UEFA plan to have the winners of the Champions league and Europa league get an automatic place in the Champions league.

So Europa league could be more important next year.

Although, I can't see any definite confimation on it.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11945/8730422/uefa-open-to-champions-league-including-five-english-teams

If you look at the Regulations for the Champions League Article 2.02 states:

2.02 Associations are represented on the following basis:
    a) One representative: winner of the top domestic league championship.
    b) Two representatives: winner and runner-up of the top domestic league
    championship.
    c) Three representatives: winner, runner-up and third-placed club in the top
    domestic league championship.
    d) Four representatives: winner, runner-up, third- and fourth-placed clubs in
    the top domestic league championship.

From that, the maximum number of teams from one association is 4. Presumably, the winners of the Europa League/Champions League take the 4th place. In the unlikely event an English team wins both the 3rd and 4th place would go to the Champions League winner and the Europa league winner respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Yes, same as Liverpool in 06 I think.

Liverpool did not take a CL spot from anyone in 2005.

There was no rule that allowed the holders of the CL into the following seasons CL. . . So Everton, who finished fourth, were allowed into the CL.

The rules were then changed whereby the holder automatically qualifies . . . But Liverpool had to go through the qualification stages (from the first round).

In 2012 Chelsea (who finished 6th) denied Spurs (who finished 4th) a place in the CL after they sadly won it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

RVP and Maradona juggling

RVP is doing it so well it looks like some spaceship is trying to beam him up with that purple tractor beam so they can have him play for Intergalactic FC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No
    Meh, don't see how you can use his ability to spot a player and know how to use him as part of his philosophy.

It's part of the philosophy he brings to the table at a club, which is what the initial question was.

If you look at the definition of philosophy, which is essentially what we're debating here, you should realise that his ability to spot a player and know how to use him, would definitely fall under the term.

Philosophy:

1. the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline.

2. a theory or attitude that acts as a guiding principle for behaviour.

No
    Blatter wrote: »
    It's part of the philosophy he brings to the table at a club, which is what the initial question was.

If you look at the definition of philosophy, which is essentially what we're debating here, you should realise that his ability to spot a player and know how to use him, would definitely fall under the term.

Philosophy:

1. the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline.

2. a theory or attitude that acts as a guiding principle for behaviour.
    Pretty sure it's football philosophy we're discussing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

bangkok wrote: »
    ridiculous statement, of course moyes knows what its about. didn't he manage a good everton team for 10 years in the prem league and highlighted straight away a need for a world class midfielder in the summer when he joined

It was tongue in cheek. The entire footballing world recognised the need for a midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Wasn't Louis Van Gaal interested in the job when Fergie was first stepping down around 2002?

Yup he said it was a done deal and approved by United board.

No
    Pretty sure it's football philosophy we're discussing here.

As I said before, it's all interlinked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Looks like an older version of Robb Stark in a few of those...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

No
    Blatter wrote: »
    As I said before, it's all interlinked.
    Fair enough, I still think you're taking it far too literally.
    I would go something along the lines of what Unitedirishman said if asked about Mourinho's philosophy
    His tactical philosophy is fairly simple. Be extremely hard to break down and get our creative players on the ball as much as possible. Its always been a 4-2-3-1 as such with almost all of the creativity coming from the 3 behind the striker providing the creativity.

I'd also agree with TheDoc in saying that philosophy doesn't really belong in football but if it has to then that would be my interpretation.

I would go something along the lines of what Unitedirishman said if asked about Mourinho's philosophy

I'd also agree with TheDoc in saying that philosophy doesn't really belong in football but if it has to then that would be my interpretation.

There are many clubs/fans who wouldn't mind the "philosophy" of a manager who has won the league in three countries and the Champions League twice.

Do posters seriously think that United would be in the position they're in now if they'd appointed Mourinho instead of Moyes?

• Advertisement

No
    There are many clubs/fans who wouldn't mind the "philosophy" of a manager who has won the league in three countries and the Champions League twice.

Do posters seriously think that United would be in the position they're in now if they'd appointed Mourinho instead of Moyes?
    Well that has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about, don't know why you're quoting me?

No

I don't think I'm taking it too literally tbh. His ability to see a good player and knowledge of knowing how to use them is key to him being able to implement his styles of play to such a great effect.

Managers often buy players that don't really fit into the styles they want to impose and it has an negative effect on the team's chances. Mourinho does this much less! It's all part of what he brings to the table and what makes him so great.

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

No
    Yup he said it was a done deal and approved by United board.

Was that not Sven Goran Eriksson no?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    mewe wrote: »
    Was that not Sven Goran Eriksson no?

Sven had been lined up is what i had thought too

lordgoat wrote: »
    Sven had been lined up is what i had thought too

i believe Eriksson even said it himself.

I don't recall Van Gaal being mentioned at the time.

It would surprise me if he was in the reckoning. . . .As Van Gaal had stepped down as Holland manager after failure to qualify for the 2002 WC [after defeat to Ireland ;)]

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

TheDoc wrote: »
    Bigger con then KaiserSoze this philosophy lark. It seriously wrecks my head.

This coach has a philosophy, that club has a philosophy. Sick of hearing this twisted phrase the British Press and certain management elect choose to keep saying.

It's called a tactic, or a style, it's not a philosophy.

I heard it first coming from Brendan Rodgers and people banging on about it. He hasn't had an original thought since this year. He inherited a massively successful system at Swansea that Martinez implemented from experiences in Spain and attending visiting sessions provided by La Massa to European coaches.

Obviously Rodgers has himself some exposure to continental coaching, but he kept the ting mainly the same and carried on.
    Had a decent season with Swansea and rightly so got the plaudits.
    Laudrup comes in maintains the same system, adds a bitching striker and trophy emerges.

Rodgers has completely changed the way Liverpool play this season. His "philosophy"( which is bollox ) wasn't working. He made changes this season and bang they are flying. And playing amazingly breathtaking direct football.

Is that a change in philosophy? No, it's a change in tactics, its a change in system.

Philosophy is something Wenger had at Arsenal. Buy in raw talent, coach them, integrate into first team. And even then it's a stretch calling that a philosophy.

It's such a bollox word that has no business being in football, but the UK media and press band it around to make their game sound more intelligent and advanced, to counter act the argument that the Enlgish game is not as technical as Italy, Spain or Germany.

It's such a fallacy that I wish people would see through and call it up for the bull**** that it is.

Totally agree. It's up there with 'moment' as in we are in a wonderful moment right now. Initially spouted by moronic sounding Italian managers that couldn't speak English very well but now clowns like Rodgers have been using it. Wreaks my head. Up there with early doors. Seriously can we stop now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Dont buy much into this philosophy BS. Each manager has a style of play and sets up teams accordingly. However he should always be able to adjust the systems, formations and tactics to suit a particular opponent

Looking at Bayern last night they have at least 6 or 7 players who can play in at least 2 different positions comfortably. Some posters on here thought we didnt need Mata and that Kagawa is wasted on the wing. They have a point based on our style of play this season and generally the way we have played for years [442, wingers, 'philosophy' etc].

IMO we need to forget about 442 and continuously playing 2 wingers. 80 odd crosses in a game and still create f**k all decent chances sums it up. Kagawa, Mata, Januzai, RVP and Rooney are all good footballers who would fit into the systems being played by both Bayern and Barca. We need to be playing passing football through the middle and we have the players to do it.
    Unfortunately I dont think we have the manager to play this style of football

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    Robson99 wrote: »
    Dont buy much into this philosophy BS. Each manager has a style of play and sets up teams accordingly. However he should always be able to adjust the systems, formations and tactics to suit a particular opponent

Looking at Bayern last night they have at least 6 or 7 players who can play in at least 2 different positions comfortably. Some posters on here thought we didnt need Mata and that Kagawa is wasted on the wing. They have a point based on our style of play this season and generally the way we have played for years [442, wingers, 'philosophy' etc].

IMO we need to forget about 442 and continuously playing 2 wingers. 80 odd crosses in a game and still create f**k all decent chances sums it up. Kagawa, Mata, Januzai, RVP and Rooney are all good footballers who would fit into the systems being played by both Bayern and Barca. We need to be playing passing football through the middle and we have the players to do it.
    Unfortunately I dont think we have the manager to play this style of football

i'd agree with this.

Q: How many current united players (outfield) could have played on the Bayern team last night without weakening it? (Without altering how the play)

For me:

Mata
    Kagawa
    RVP
    Rooney
    Janz

(Yet all 5 of these couldn't play at the same time.

At a push:
    Rio
    Evra

i'd agree with this.

Q: How many current united players (outfield) could have played on the Bayern team last night without weakening it? (Without altering how the play)

For me:

Mata
    Kagawa

:confused:

i'd agree with this.

For me:

Mata
    Kagawa
    RVP
    Rooney
    Janz

At a push:
    Rio
    Evra

No way Rio or Evra could get into that side. Jan either. Been a ray of light for us during a **** season but no way near the finished article. Kag has been simply awful for us full stop, would get no way near that side.

• Advertisement

i'd agree with this.

For me:

Mata
    Kagawa
    RVP
    Rooney
    Janz

At a push:
    Rio
    Evra

I agree all 5 couldnt play at the same time but any 4 of the 5 could.

I dont think Rio or Evra are anywhere near good enough anymore for that level. Vidic possible could fit in

No
    i'd agree with this.

For me:

Mata
    Kagawa
    RVP
    Rooney
    Janz

At a push:
    Rio
    Evra
    Agree with Mata, Kagawa, Rooney and RvP, that's it though.
    I'm sure a certain someone will be along to tell you none of them have a hope.

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Kag has been simply awful for us full stop, would get no way near that side.

Put Kagawa in a team with any two from Kroos, Martinez, Thiago or Schweinstiger and I bet he would fit in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

No
    i'd agree with this.

For me:

Mata
    Kagawa
    RVP
    Rooney
    Janz

At a push:
    Rio
    Evra

This is brilliant, let me share this on the Chelsea thread ;)

This is brilliant, let me share this on the Chelsea thread ;)

No, you won't.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    No, you won't.

Why shouldn't he?

Why shouldn't he?

Because it's not relevant to the Chelsea thread and will be off topic. He can by all means start a discussion in the Chelsea thread about which Chelsea players will get in to the Bayern Munich squad if he wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No
    i'd agree with this.

For me:

Mata
    Kagawa
    RVP
    Rooney
    Janz

At a push:
    Rio
    Evra

Christ almighty you're absolutely crazy if you would rate Januzaj as able to get anywhere near the Bayern team.

The Januzaj thing has to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    No way Rio or Evra could get into that side. Jan either. Been a ray of light for us during a **** season but no way near the finished article. Kag has been simply awful for us full stop, would get no way near that side.
    :confused:

Kagawa would fit into the Bayern team easily, no question.

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    Put Kagawa in a team with any two from Kroos, Martinez, Thiago or Schweinstiger and I bet he would fit in

He might fit in but the question was would he weaken the side and based on any reasonable assessment of his form over the last two years then yes he would weaken Bayern.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement