Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    DM-ICE wrote: »
    United midfield and tactics are ****e

Not Kagawa.

So succinct and accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Given out season is basically done - I wouldn't be playing Rio or Vidic unless forced to by injuries. I'd be giving Evans, Smalling and Jones the game time and chances to show they should be part of the first choice United pairing next season (with Vidic gone and Rio likely to follow). They may not prove themselves enough, but worth giving them a chance now and having a better understanding of what is required in the summer as a result.

+1

Now is the time to see if they are up to the task,not waiting to play in meaningless pre-season games where they won't be tested as they would be in EPL games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    BloodBath wrote: »
    Not true. That leaves us with only 3 CB's and 1 RB. A couple of injuries there and we're ****ed.

We need to buy at least 1 top quality CB and 2 wide backs + 1 CM + another attacking option if RVP is going.

Which is why I said we would have to strengthen the squad. I just don't think we NEED another top level center back; we could do with cover for the three we have, but we NEED a new left back and central mid before we start looking towards buying a top level center back.

We realistically can't start next season with top intentions without a left back and a center mid, while we could with our center backs. Yes, injuries can be an issue, but I am talking about what we have when everyone is healthy.

We need a new left back and a new center mid.
    We would then like a central defender, cover for RB, cover for CM.

That, mind, is going off who we know is going and who we think is staying. Need vs like will change if RVP leaves, for instance...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

DM-ICE wrote: »
    United midfield and tactics are ****e

Not Kagawa.

Not sure if sarcasm but were our tactics ****e last year when we won the title?

Many players who were good in other leagues struggle to adapt to the cut and trust of the EPL. Forlan, Veron, Shevchenko.

Many players struggle initially but find a way. Kagawa as it stands has not been one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

can I ask why people think.....

Mata Rooney kagawa
    van persie
    is our best option when januzaj has been probably one of our best players this season? should he not be starting ahead of kagawa who has been very poor all season??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    Which is why I said we would have to strengthen the squad. I just don't think we NEED another top level center back; we could do with cover for the three we have, but we NEED a new left back and central mid before we start looking towards buying a top level center back.

We realistically can't start next season with top intentions without a left back and a center mid, while we could with our center backs. Yes, injuries can be an issue, but I am talking about what we have when everyone is healthy.

We need a new left back and a new center mid.
    We would then like a central defender, cover for RB, cover for CM.

That, mind, is going off who we know is going and who we think is staying. Need vs like will change if RVP leaves, for instance...

It's that kind of thinking that will put us in situations where Valencia is playing right back and Carrick or Fellaini are playing CB because Jones, Rafael and Smalling or Evans are injured or suspended from all the games they have to play.

You can't possibly say we don't need a CB when 2 prolific CB's are leaving in the summer and not 1 of the younger ones have proven themselves to be worthy replacements yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I think Kagawa is gone in the summer. He's not going to take another season as a bit-part player when he was the golden boy at Dortmund. I'd like to see him going back to Dortmund but I think wages could be a factor in that.

We def need a new LB and CM, that is a must is we have any hope. Vidic is gone so we need a new CB, whether as a first-teamer or as backup. Rio is finished too, so that's 2 CBs we'll need to get.

Anderson is pretty much gone, but I guess Fellaini is that one covered already. Giggs will retire, I hope, so that's another CM needed. So far that's 2 CMs, 2 CBs, and a LB. Cover at RB for Rafael would be nice, someone who could also play LB.

Now if RvP goes, I think we will go after a world-class striker, as I think Chico will also leave this summer.

That's a lot of transfers to be making in one summer. Last summer screwed us, we should've been planning for this summer with the likes of Evra, Vidic, Rio, Giggs all leaving/retiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    bangkok wrote: »
    can I ask why people think.....

Mata Rooney kagawa
    van persie
    is our best option when januzaj has been probably one of our best players this season? should he not be starting ahead of kagawa who has been very poor all season??

Januzaj would obviously interchange with the three. He had to carry us for most of this season which it just wrong and rightfully Moyes has taken him out of the firing line the only issue is that Valencia and to a lesser extent Young have been brought into the side.

No
    Macca07 wrote: »
    I think Kagawa is gone in the summer. He's not going to take another season as a bit-part player when he was the golden boy at Dortmund. I'd like to see him going back to Dortmund but I think wages could be a factor in that.

We def need a new LB and CM, that is a must is we have any hope. Vidic is gone so we need a new CB, whether as a first-teamer or as backup. Rio is finished too, so that's 2 CBs we'll need to get.

Anderson is pretty much gone, but I guess Fellaini is that one covered already. Giggs will retire, I hope, so that's another CM needed. So far that's 2 CMs, 2 CBs, and a LB. Cover at RB for Rafael would be nice, someone who could also play LB.

Now if RvP goes, I think we will go after a world-class striker, as I think Chico will also leave this summer.

That's a lot of transfers to be making in one summer. Last summer screwed us, we should've been planning for this summer with the likes of Evra, Vidic, Rio, Giggs all leaving/retiring.

We don't need 2 CB's. We have 3 already. We do need 1 quality one though.

Fellaini is a Carrick replacement, not Anderson. They can't play together. Jan is a Giggs replacement.

1 quality CM, 1 quality CB, 1 quality LB and 1 quality WB who can play left or right and we're sorted.

Bring Powell and Lingard back to fill the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Many players struggle initially but find a way. Kagawa as it stands has not been one of them.

His champions league stats categorically prove you wrong.

• Advertisement

every time I watch Valencia play............shudder....... how can a man utd winger not be 2 footed and even if he only has a right foot not cross properly with it!!!

No
    It's that kind of thinking that will put us in situations where Valencia is playing right back and Carrick or Fellaini are playing CB because Jones, Rafael and Smalling or Evans are injured or suspended from all the games they have to play.

You can't possibly say we don't need a CB when 2 prolific CB's are leaving in the summer and not 1 of the younger ones have proven themselves to be worthy replacements yet.

Promoting Michael Keane and maybe bringing in another young CB should suffice.

Evans,Smalling and Jones have all shown glimpses of their ability now is the time for them to establish themselves. Rio and Vida didn't get to top being bit part players interchanged week in week out. Bringing in a top level CB should be low on the list of priorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

every time I watch Valencia play............shudder....... how can a man utd winger not be 2 footed and even if he only has a right foot not cross properly with it!!!

Giggs has no right foot. . . In this day and age professional footballers should be able to kick with both feet.

Amazing how many wingers use only one foot. . . Robben is similar with Bayern.

Still - both great players.

No
    beno619 wrote: »
    Promoting Michael Keane and maybe bringing in another young CB should suffice.

Evans,Smalling and Jones have all shown glimpses of their ability now is the time for them to establish themselves. Rio and Vida didn't get to top being bit part players interchanged week in week out. Bringing in a top level CB should be low on the list of priorities.

We don't need another young CB prospect, we have 3 already. We need a strong established CB in his prime with good experience and leadership.

CB's don't usually peak until their late 20's. Do you fancy waiting 5 years for Smalling and Jones to learn the ropes?

Evans should be leading the way on that front but I don't fancy him to take the mantle. A strong squad player is as good as he'll get for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Many players who were good in other leagues struggle to adapt to the cut and trust of the EPL. Forlan, Veron, Shevchenko.

We bought a world class attacking midfielder and played him as a winger which doesn't suit.

Rooney is a world class striker and attacking midfielder when played as a winger he has been shocking.

People laughed about someone suggesting buying Reus and playing him in cm. That's not far off buying Kagawa and playing him as a winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Also the difference being those players you mentioned actually a) got played and b) surprisingly in their favoured positions.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    We bought a world class attacking midfielder and played him as a winger which doesn't suit.

Rooney is a world class striker and attacking midfielder when played as a winger he has been shocking.

People laughed about someone suggesting buying Reus and playing him in cm. That's not far off buying Kagawa and playing him as a winger.

Didn't Rooney effectively put in a transfer request last season as he was pissed off with Fergie continuously playing him in the wrong position.

For a while he was on the Left - FFS.

It took a commitment from Moyes to keep Rooney.

It's basic - play your players in the positions they're most comfortable.

No
    We don't need another young CB prospect, we have 3 already. We need a strong established CB in his prime with good experience and leadership.

CB's don't usually peak until their late 20's. Do you fancy waiting 5 years for Smalling and Jones to learn the ropes?

Evans is 26, Jones is 22 today. They deserve a proper run in the side.

Kompany is 27 now and has been the best CB in the league for 3 seasons now, before that he was just a lot of potential and I didn't think he would reach the initial hype around in his teens. He played consistently and became the player he is today.

We need a world class CM and LB. A top CB would just block the progress of 3 players who could potentially be world class.

No
    It wouldn't block anything. There's a lot of games in the season and the other 3 will still get plenty of games.

Sure play the young lads for the rest of the season as a test but there is no way a combination of those 3 will be solid anytime soon. It's going to take years of development.

Vincent Kompany they ain't.

A world class CB in his prime could actually help their development as they could learn a lot from him.

Also who is going to lead this backline? Smalling, Jones and Evans do not have leadership skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No
    lordgoat wrote: »
    I've been one of his harshest critics all season. Have a read of my post properly.

"Without weakening the team" and "without altering how they play" are not interchangeable. You could put Januzaj in for Robben and tell him to hug the touchline and he could do it, but they would be far, far worse off.

EDIT: I see the point you were making though, NVM

• Advertisement

It wouldn't block anything. There's a lot of games in the season and the other 3 will still get plenty of games.

Sure play the young lads for the rest of the season as a test but there is no way a combination of those 3 will be solid anytime soon. It's going to take years of development.

I don't think there'll be much experimenting with anything as Moyes still thinks fourth place is an option.

In fairness to him he cannot give up on it

If anything things will only begin to change when fourth place is out of reach.

Giggs has no right foot. . . In this day and age professional footballers should be able to kick with both feet.

Amazing how many wingers use only one foot. . . Robben is similar with Bayern.

Still - both great players.

giggs no right foot??!! are you joking? I remember him scoring a goal away to juventus with the right and also a cracker against Coventry from 25 yards with the right... Valencia doesn't even attempt a shot or cross with his left. and don't even compare robben with Valencia, robben is world class, Valencia is sadly not

giggs no right foot??!! are you joking? I remember him scoring a goal away to juventus with the right and also a cracker against Coventry from 25 yards with the right... Valencia doesn't even attempt a shot or cross with his left. and don't even compare robben with Valencia, robben is world class, Valencia is sadly not

I'd classify a two footed player as one who takes the ball routinely in with both feet and is not solely reliant on one foot.

Giggs doesn't use his right foot even though he has had some decent moments in a glorious career with his right foot.

I'd classify a two footed player as one who takes the ball routinely in with both feet and is not solely reliant on one foot.

Giggs doesn't use his right foot even though he has had some decent moments in a glorious career with his right foot.

that sentence is a pure contradiction... he doesn't use it yet had some decent moments? Valencia has had no moments with his left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭mobydopy

According to BBC,Wayne Rooney has agreed to a 5.5 year contract with united. :)

No

A world class CB in his prime could actually help their development as they could learn a lot from him.

Also who is going to lead this backline? Smalling, Jones and Evans do not have leadership skills.

It most definitely would block their development. Jones has hardly played at CB this season, he's effectively 4th choice. Were not talking about teenagers either its time for them to play.

Jones received the same type of hype Kompany did as a teen.

Kompany did not become the player he is today by sitting on the bench.

295136.PNG

Again Kompany looked unremarkable in his first 2 season.

They have learned from Vida and Rio so I dont think they need any more educating. Evans is our most vocal player when Vida isnt on the pitch and I would have him ahead of Rooney in terms of future captaincy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Ben Smith ✔ @BenSmithBBC
    Rooney's contract is five and half years. All agreed. Confirmation later today #MUFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No
    Play Kagawa at 10 and you will play much better and win many more games. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

No
    According to BBC,Wayne Rooney has agreed to a 5.5 year contract with united. :)

Lot of money to be throwing around, about £85m for the total contract.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26287482

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Once we get Rooney signed sealed and delivered can we shift him back into centre mid. again...........

Evans is 26, Jones is 22 today. They deserve a proper run in the side.

Kompany is 27 now and has been the best CB in the league for 3 seasons now, before that he was just a lot of potential and I didn't think he would reach the initial hype around in his teens. He played consistently and became the player he is today.

We need a world class CM and LB. A top CB would just block the progress of 3 players who could potentially be world class.

Evans over the past 3 seasons has probably played more games than any of our other defenders. He is first choice imo and i think he reads the game well and his distribution is very good. His biggest weakness is in the air but he has improved that.

Smalling i just don't get the hype. People constantly talk about his world class potential i just don;t see it. He is 24 and barely kicked a ball at the top level. He really should have gone on loan the season we signed him. Whatever potential he has he is not going to fulfill as a rotation player.

Jones should be given a chance until the end of the season beside Evans i think they would compliment each other well. Again another player who if he had went out on loan would be more developed and ready to walk in and replace Vidic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Is Rooneys £74 million part of the £200million warchest promised by end of 2014?

Is he the player who almost had telepathic link up play with RVP or am i imagining things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Tactics were not ****e last season in the league. IMO no tactic is ****e if it means you win games. I don't buy into the snobbery ideas of the game needing to be played a certain way. But current tactics are seeing poor results and results are how tactics can be judged. So they are ****e this season.

Kagawa is not playing well. He should not be exempt from criticism and I understand the points you made. But circumstances are playing a part in why he is not playing well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    Is Rooneys £74 million part of the £200million warchest promised by end of 2014?

Sometimes i really wonder.

Why would any team pay an entire 5.5 year contract out of one years (reported) budget?

Why would you budget to pay any players contract over one financial year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

What do you guys think of Rooney getting 300 grand a week?

Do you think he's worth it?

Are you worried that it will set a precedence when trying to attract high caliber players?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

No
    Well if we finish 7th and also lose rooney the chances of top players wanting to sign would be diminished.

I also think without rooney in the team we play much much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No

Are you worried that it will set a precedence when trying to attract high caliber players?

You could have a read of the thread and find that out - been discussed at great length.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

lordgoat wrote: »
    Sometimes i really wonder.

Why would any team pay an entire 5.5 year contract out of one years (reported) budget?

Why would you budget to pay any players contract over one financial year?

Lol why the attitude?

I never suggested his contract would be calculated into a single financial year.

but the reported £200million spend could be construed in many different ways which was the basis of my point.

But go ahead and knock yourself out :)

• Advertisement

No
    It most definitely would block their development. Jones has hardly played at CB this season, he's effectively 4th choice. Were not talking about teenagers either its time for them to play.

Jones received the same type of hype Kompany did as a teen.

Kompany did not become the player he is today by sitting on the bench.

295136.PNG

Again Kompany looked unremarkable in his first 2 season.

They have learned from Vida and Rio so I dont think they need any more educating. Evans is our most vocal player when Vida isnt on the pitch and I would have him ahead of Rooney in terms of future captaincy.

Jones would still have his place alongside a new signing. Evans isn't going to be world class. Both him and Smalling will still get games to rest the other 2 or fill in for injuries and suspensions and be part of a 2 team system when we have 3 games in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think he might be worth it given where Utd are now.

The club is in a serious fight for the next couple of years and it's probably worth overpaying to keep Rooney in your corner (which is why he's doing it I guess)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The only way Rooney should be getting that is if he's going back up top next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

No body is worth this type of money, this is whats wrong with the world. (the safe bubble of a world we live in)
    pure greed.

Sad day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

The only way Rooney should be getting that is if he's going back up top next season.

Exactly, I said the same last week, that's a goalscoring number 9s wage not a 'do a job' 'fit him in' players wage.

Would not be surprised in the slightest if RVP bolted in the summer, for some reason I could see him following a similar career path to Henry, some big continetal club in warmer climes for a couple of years and then head for the MLS, the lower volumes and stress on the body would certainly suit him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Didn't Rooney effectively put in a transfer request last season as he was pissed off with Fergie continuously playing him in the wrong position.

For a while he was on the Left - FFS.

It took a commitment from Moyes to keep Rooney.

It's basic - play your players in the positions they're most comfortable.

I Agree, I mean you don't ****ing see Iniesta as a striker, sure there are games you're stretched and you make allowances, but don't ****ing buy a striker if you're going to play him centre back, don't buy a centre back and play him up front, don't buy german player of the year, give him one game behind the striker and 10 on the left ensuring he doesn't develop ANYTHING with the striker he is supplying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    Catching up and reading the last few pages, it really is depressing that Utd have in their squad, but will most likely move on in the summer, the likes of Kagawa and Nani.

Two class players that could have a huge influence on the first team but are frozen out while we are served up the drivel week in week out under Moyes.
    Mata is only going to end up the same as well I fear.

It sends a shudder down my spine to think of Moyes being given a "war chest" in the summer to buy players.

So utterly frustrating. Its like time has stood still. We are stuck in the pool of mediocrity and will be until Moyes gets the boot. He is the biggest single issue at the club and is slowly strangling the life out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Given out season is basically done - I wouldn't be playing Rio or Vidic unless forced to by injuries. I'd be giving Evans, Smalling and Jones the game time and chances to show they should be part of the first choice United pairing next season (with Vidic gone and Rio likely to follow). They may not prove themselves enough, but worth giving them a chance now and having a better understanding of what is required in the summer as a result.

Definitely agree with that.

Put Rio and Vidic together for the last home game as a send off (not like there's going to be anything riding on the game...) but other than that, they shouldn't be given playing time when we need to move on with a new defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    You could have a read of the thread and find that out - been discussed at great length.

Not really how it works tbf, how many times has Pogba, Kagawa and the likes been discussed without the details changing that much?

Has it even been made official yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Thanks guys. Obviously I agree Utd are over paying but the fear of Rooney leaving causing a mass exodus has probably forced their hand.

I'd be worried that wage demands will go up now for other players and possible targets.Like Stuxnet says a sad day for English football.

Mitch : I don't usually come in here, so rather than read through the thread I thought I'd just ask ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement