Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    Stuxnet wrote: »
    No body is worth this type of money, this is whats wrong with the world. (the safe bubble of a world we live in)
    pure greed.

Sad day

Sure sad day??

But someone in a few years time will be paid 400k a week at top level...

Its the way the game has been in past 25 years and it will continue in that path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    The only way Rooney should be getting that is if he's going back up top next season.

So maybe bye bye RVP, Rooney up top and Mata/Kagawa/Januzaj in the whole?

Hrrmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

No
    Delighted to hear Rooney signed, despite all the problems we've had with him he's still one of our best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    I think people forget that a players value is more than just what he does on the pitch. Rooney is England's best player in an English club. The marketing value he brings for sponsorship deals and advertising as well as what he does on the pitch warrants the salary.

Real got ronaldo for a bargain of 80m not just for what he does on the pitch but for his marketing value and shirt selling power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

What do you guys think of Rooney getting 300 grand a week?

Do you think he's worth it?

Are you worried that it will set a precedence when trying to attract high caliber players?

Interesting article in the International Business Times that answers that question;

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/why-manchester-united-are-paying-wayne-rooney-300000-week-1437116

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

adox wrote: »
    Catching up and reading the last few pages, it really is depressing that Utd have in their squad, but will most likely move on in the summer, the likes of Kagawa and Nani.

Two class players that could have a huge influence on the first team but are frozen out while we are served up the drivel week in week out under Moyes.
    Mata is only going to end up the same as well I fear.

It sends a shudder down my spine to think of Moyes being given a "war chest" in the summer to buy players.

So utterly frustrating. Its like time has stood still. We are stuck in the pool of mediocrity and will be until Moyes gets the boot. He is the biggest single issue at the club and is slowly strangling the life out of it.

Nani is still injured. Don't see him moving this summer after getting a new contract last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Catching up and reading the last few pages, it really is depressing that Utd have in their squad, but will most likely move on in the summer, the likes of Kagawa and Nani.

Two class players that could have a huge influence on the first team but are frozen out while we are served up the drivel week in week out under Moyes.
    Mata is only going to end up the same as well I fear.

It sends a shudder down my spine to think of Moyes being given a "war chest" in the summer to buy players.

So utterly frustrating. Its like time has stood still. We are stuck in the pool of mediocrity and will be until Moyes gets the boot. He is the biggest single issue at the club and is slowly strangling the life out of it.

Maybe Moyes has some valid ideas though. Jose wouldn't take any of those three players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No
    Trilla wrote: »
    So maybe bye bye RVP, Rooney up top and Mata/Kagawa/Januzaj in the whole?

Hrrmmmm

Is there any possibility Mata could play in central midfield like Iniesta did for Barcelona a few years ago ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

No
    Sure sad day??

But someone in a few years time will be paid 400k a week at top level...

Its the way the game has been in past 25 years and it will continue in that path.

Where does it end though? Will we eventually reach a stage where players are getting a million a week?

It's a bit weird. The global economy collapsed, yet wages in elite football keep going up regardless. Surely the bubble will burst eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    BloodBath wrote: »
    Real got ronaldo for a bargain of 80m not just for what he does on the pitch but for his marketing value and shirt selling power.

Cant be said enough, 100-120 would have been a fairer price we were robbed.

No
    I can guarantee you that Real have made a lot more than 80m from Ronaldo before you even take into account what he does on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is there any possibility Mata could play in central midfield like Iniesta did for Barcelona a few years ago ?

Not just directed at you but what is with people suggesting buying a world class player and playing him in a different position. United are not a f#cking club lacking funds. If we sign a world class attacking midfielder play him their. If we want a world class midfielder go out and sign one.

No
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    Not just directed at you but what is with people suggesting buying a world class player and playing him in a different position. United are not a f#cking club lacking funds. If we sign a world class attacking midfielder play him their. If we want a world class midfielder go out and sign one.

Couldnt agree more tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

beno619 wrote: »
    Cant be said enough, 100-120 would have been a fairer price we were robbed.

Twas a baffling figure. Maybe Real wouldn't go higher and Utd knew Ronaldo had been promised his move and didn't want a sulking player.

Jones would still have his place alongside a new signing. Evans isn't going to be world class. Both him and Smalling will still get games to rest the other 2 or fill in for injuries and suspensions and be part of a 2 team system when we have 3 games in a week.

How would Jones have his place alongside a new signing. At the moment he is 4th choice at the club. Bringing in a new signing next season replacing Vidic puts Jones back to 4th choice. Jones and Evans should play the rest of the season together to give Jones experience for next year. I would like Evans, Smalling, Jones, Keane and a young defender with potential.

Personally if i was Jones i would want assurances for next season about playing as a cb or i would put in a transfer request. He needs first team football for his development. Sitting around being a makeshift rb or midfielder will stunt his progress as a cb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Tactics were not ****e last season in the league. IMO no tactic is ****e if it means you win games. I don't buy into the snobbery ideas of the game needing to be played a certain way. But current tactics are seeing poor results and results are how tactics can be judged. So they are ****e this season.

Kagawa is not playing well. He should not be exempt from criticism and I understand the points you made. But circumstances are playing a part in why he is not playing well.

This was the point I was making. Tactics were not ****e yet Kagawa struggled. Now we are getting its the tactics not Kagawa.

Many players were poor last season also. They don't get the tactics excuse.

No
    WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Where does it end though? Will we eventually reach a stage where players are getting a million a week?

It's a bit weird. The global economy collapsed, yet wages in elite football keep going up regardless. Surely the bubble will burst eventually.

I would love to see wages capped if im honest. I just cannot see it happening...

The likes of sky sports funding and sponsor deals are making clubs more willing to horse money out for better players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

the 80m utd received for Ronaldo was unconditional meaning it was actually a brilliant deal for united. 80m up front not many transfer deals are like that, although looking at his goal scoring record for Madrid they could have got more but hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

No
    How would Jones have his place alongside a new signing. At the moment he is 4th choice at the club. Bringing in a new signing next season replacing Vidic puts Jones back to 4th choice. Jones and Evans should play the rest of the season together to give Jones experience for next year. I would like Evans, Smalling, Jones, Keane and a young defender with potential.

Personally if i was Jones i would want assurances for next season about playing as a cb or i would put in a transfer request. He needs first team football for his development. Sitting around being a makeshift rb or midfielder will stunt his progress as a cb.

If he has all the potential he's supposed to have then he will get games the rest of this season and next. That line up of CB's you suggested is just terrible. How long are you willing to put up with our defence being **** for? Smalling and Jones are too young and inexperienced to take the first team. We need an established world class CB.

Vidic and Ferdinand were for a time the best CB pairing in the world. Suggesting that we don't need to buy at least 1 replacement when they are both leaving in the summer when none of the younger players are anywhere near them in their prime is ludicrous.

I would love to see wages capped if im honest. I just cannot see it happening...

The likes of sky sports funding and sponsor deals are making clubs more willing to horse money out for better players.

Capping wages is silly and counter intuitive. The clubs make the money to pay the wages. Would you prefer that the owners make even more profit over the players earning it?

If Sky/Bt and sponsors want to pay silly money for rights then surely some of that should pass onto the players. It's them we pay to see at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No

But United havent signed a world class midfielder since Roy Keane ,(Hargreaves and Veron dont really count )
    The team has been crying out for a quality central midfielder for over 5 years ,nothing was done in that time period to address the problem.

Ferguson seemed to love buying players and playing them out of position ,in a bid to fill the central midfield role ,he was obsessed with putting square pegs in round holes.

United have given Rooney a huge new contract he doesn't deserve and to accommodate him in the team they have to play either him out of position or other players out of position,like Mata .
    Not just directed at you but what is with people suggesting buying a world class player and playing him in a different position.
    But he is currently playing out of position ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

But United havent signed a world class midfielder since Roy Keane ,(Hargreaves and Veron dont really count )
    The team has been crying out for a quality central midfielder for over 5 years ,nothing was done in that time period to address the problem.

Ferguson seemed to love buying players and playing them out of position ,in a bid to fill the central midfield role ,he was obsessed with putting square pegs in round holes.

United have given Rooney a huge new contract he doesn't deserve and to accommodate him in the team they have to play either him out of position or other players out of position,like Mata .
    Why was Mata bought in the first place if he is going to be played out of position ??

RVP will be gone (NAP)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No

Why does Veron not count? He was world class when signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No
    Why does Veron not count? He was world class when signed.

Cause he was durt!

the thing is about midfielders is there are not that many world class midfielders around and if there are the sad fact is other teams with greater resources will more than likely buy them.... if you look at the top midfielders in the world today most have either come through the clubs youth system ........xavi iniesta fabregas busquets, Schweinsteiger, kroos, all came through the clubs youth set up, then others like Modric yaya toure all went for big money, when a world class midfielder comes on the market they are really difficult to buy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Some explosive quotes from Moyes' press conference...
    #mufc boss impressed by Tony Pulis’ work at Palace: “He always has his sides well organised & well drilled. He’s good at getting results.”
    Moyes hopes warm-weather break will help #mufc: “We'd rather have been in the FA Cup, but it was great to have some time to train & relax.”
    Moyes on @WayneRooney contract talks: “When we have news we'll tell you. He's a terrific player. If we can get it done it’ll be great."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

/\ Hodgson only more so! /\

Boggled that Rooney has played Utd not once, not twice but three times like a violin. 85 million over 4 and and half years is a weight around the clubs neck, imagine the next round contract negotiations for players like Cleverly and Jones - they will know their place but only to a point. I trust the squad does not suffer wage envy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    #mufc boss impressed by Tony Pulis’ work at Palace: “He always has his sides well organised & well drilled. He’s good at getting results.”

head-desk-bartlett.gif

He's preparing people for a loss already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Why doesn't everyone make a huge deal out of generic press conference word filler?

Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    If he has all the potential he's supposed to have then he will get games the rest of this season and next. That line up of CB's you suggested is just terrible. How long are you willing to put up with our defence being **** for? Smalling and Jones are too young and inexperienced to take the first team. We need an established world class CB.

Vidic and Ferdinand were for a time the best CB pairing in the world. Suggesting that we don't need to buy at least 1 replacement when they are both leaving in the summer when none of the younger players are anywhere near them in their prime is ludicrous.

Do you think players become world class overnight , when Jones turn 27 he's not going tomagically become a world beater he needs to play.

Rio wouldn't be the player he is if he was constantly chopped and changed at a similar age.

Fergie brough in these players for the purpose to take over from Rio and Vida. They should be given a chance our best defensive performances this year have come from Evans and Smalling imo.

Smalling at 24 and Jones 22 hardly young and inexperienced.

I would agree with moyes 100% about pulis.... so what!! his sides are well drilled and do get results whats the big deal. do you want him to say palace are a poor side and we should win 4-0!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    J. Marston wrote: »
    Some explosive quotes from Moyes' press conference...

In fairness to the man what was he supposed to say?:confused::confused:

"Oh ya Pulis is **** manager and we are going to beat living **** out of them"

"Oh ya contract is done and dusted" When it might not be done deal?

The man is poor with media, but go around to any press conference and you will hear these types of answer every.......week.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

3yrs of Rooneys 5.5yr contract will see him earn £300k a week whilst being the wrong side of 30yrs old.

man he has a great agent.

beno619 wrote: »
    Do you think players become world class overnight , when Jones turn 27 he's not going tomagically become a world beater he needs to play.

Rio wouldn't be the player he is if he was constantly chopped and changed at a similar age.

Fergie brough in these players for the purpose to take over from Rio and Vida. They should be given a chance our best defensive performances this year have come from Evans and Smalling imo.

Smalling at 24 and Jones 22 hardly young and inexperienced.

It should be Evans beside Smalling or Jones. Evans is a level above both right now. Personally i would like to see Jones get the nod beside Evans let them develop a partnership. Then at the end of season decide if they are good enough to start together next season or do we need a quality cb signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    In fairness to the man what was he supposed to say?:confused::confused:

"Oh ya Pulis is **** manager and we are going to beat living **** out of them"

"Oh ya contract is done and dusted" When it might not be done deal?

The man is poor with media, but go around to any press conference and you will hear these types of answer every.......week.

I wasn't having a go at him (for once...), just posting his quotes and taking the mick out of the usual football clichés that every manager uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Great news about Rooney - he will break United's scoring record to become a Manchester United legend along the lines of Charlton, Best, Law, Giggs, Scholes, Foulkes etc. .... have no doubt we will be talking to our grandkids as old men and women about the great Wayne Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No
    Did Moyes say anything about Disco Stu? Surely we will see him back in the starting line up for this game.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Great news about Rooney - he will break United's scoring record to become a Manchester United legend along the lines of Charlton, Best, Law, Giggs, Scholes, Foulkes etc. .... have no doubt we will be talking to our grandkids as old men and women about the great Wayne Rooney.

Rooney will be well down my list of names when I talk about players from my generation. Sure he's scored bucket loads of goals for us. But give me Cantona, Ronnie, Scholes any day in their prime ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    Did Moyes say anything about Disco Stu? Surely we will see him back in the starting line up for this game.

Don't think so but United's instagram account said he was back in full training and ready for a return to action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bullvine wrote: »
    Cause he was durt!

I could use a term for that based on part of your name.....

He was not dirt, far from it. He was immense in europe and started so well. he tailed of as fergie tried to accommodate him in with Giggs-Scholes-keane-beckham

He is the ideal midfielder we need right now (looks for a time machine!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

lordgoat wrote: »
    Rooney will be well down my list of names when I talk about players from my generation. Sure he's scored bucket loads of goals for us. But give me Cantona, Ronnie, Scholes any day in their prime ahead of him.
    His career at United is far far from over - he has 5 more years at OT to truly become a legend.

No
    brinty wrote: »
    I could use a term for that based on part of your name.....

He was not dirt, far from it. He was immense in europe and started so well. he tailed of as fergie tried to accommodate him in with Giggs-Scholes-keane-beckham

He is the ideal midfielder we need right now (looks for a time machine!!!)

Which games in Europe exactly? Olympiakos was it? Home and Away defeats against Deportivo in the group stage. I don't remember too many good performances from United that season in Europe despite the fact they got to the semi finals, Deportivo away in QF was the only one that sticks out and that featured a brilliant performance from Beckham.

Time has clouded peoples memories of Veron, he was so feckin poor for United its not even funny. I recall a not fully fit Keane having to come of the bench in Old Trafford against Bayer..

Its like Oasis fans looking back and thinking Be Here Now was actually a good album because of what came after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

irishfeen wrote: »
    His career at United is far far from over - he has 5 more years at OT to truly become a legend.

I don't think he's bothered about becoming a Utd legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

No
    Its like Oasis fans looking back and thinking Be Here Now was actually a good album because of what came after it.

D'You Know What I Mean? Was a great song:P, rest of album was very average

No
    D'You Know What I Mean? Was a great song:P, rest of album was very average

I listen to it these days and the album is so much better than the stuff since but its still poor, similar to Alien 3. Looking back thinking it wasn't that bad because of Alien Resurrection and Prometheus...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

No
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    3yrs of Rooneys 5.5yr contract will see him earn £300k a week whilst being the wrong side of 30yrs old.

man he has a great agent.

4 years he is 29 in october. He has some agent alright based on the last 18 months is he even in the top 10 premier league players anymore. RVP, Mata, Suarez sturridge??, hazard, yaya, aguero, silva, negredo??, ozil(poor of late but a better player IMO). The only way it makes some sort of sense to me is if Rooney plays as the main central striker next year this would allow kagawa, mata play in their preffered position and to a better effect than rooney does. He is certainly not a 300k a week NO. 10.

• Advertisement

Lads, Oasis or Blur?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    I don't think he's bothered about becoming a Utd legend.

Nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Sacramento wrote: »
    Lads, Oasis or Blur?

Mastodon.

No
    Sacramento wrote: »
    Lads, Oasis or Blur?

Meh to both. Early Oasis if I was pushed although Albarn has gone on to a lot more interesting things post Blur.

No
    Cause he was durt!

That's neither here nor there. Utd signed possibly the best midfielder in the world at the time so the original statement about Keane being the last world class midfielder we signed is incorrect.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement