Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    This time next year all will have changed when Moyes has been sacked.

You're probably right but we will just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Ah Wayne please

"There was a lot of speculation in the summer but I was pleased when David Moyes came in to the club. I’ve got a great relationship with him"

Sounds more like he's having a go at Fergie there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    At that stage he'll be approaching 32. . . No chance of better terms or a better contract anywhere else.

He's only staying as no one else is prepared to give him that contract at this stage in his career.

Let's be honest non of us truely know the reason for Rooney asking out in the summer but evidence would point to a complete breakdown in his relationship with Fergie then Moyes strange comments about Rooney being back up for RVP.

I would be pretty pissed as well, he's world class and has been at the club for a decade now,certainly deserves a bit more respect than he was getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    £300,000 per week?

I hope there is a clause in that contract that makes him pass the ball to Van Persie, because a playmaker that can't find his striker isn't worth £300,000 per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'm very happy to have him signed now. He's been our most important player for years now. He'll most likely be our top goal scorer ever. The job that he does and the work rate that he does it at is a very rare thing.

That being said, the ambassador crap irks me a little. He wanted to leave twice. His behaviour on these occasions is not befitting of an ambassador of the club. I know it's a stupid job anyway, it just stinks of hypocrisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Keno wrote: »
    I'm very happy to have him signed now. He's been our most important player for years now. He'll most likely be our top goal scorer ever. The job that he does and the work rate that he does it at is a very rare thing.

That being said, the ambassador crap irks me a little. He wanted to leave twice. His behaviour on these occasions is not befitting of an ambassador of the club. I know it's a stupid job anyway, it just stinks of hypocrisy.

£300,000 a week

A say in the club's transfer policy

Future Ambassador

What next for the greedy one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    I said this already its taking 50k out of Anderson wages and having 20k left over.

Silver lining and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The club is hard at work on a cloning device it seems
    Moyes: "I want to bring more Wayne Rooney's to Old Trafford."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Super news regarding rooney..... Just imagine the headline a few months ago..... "Man utd accept 27m bid from Chelsea to sign Wayne rooney"

Super super news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

No
    I said this already its taking 50k out of Anderson wages and having 20k left over.

Silver lining and all that

Very simplistic way of looking at things. You're not accounting for the fact that any world class player that does sign for the club in the next few years will also seek higher wages as Rooney is now on such an extravagant wage.

How can such an excessive wage be justified? Rooney will turn 30 and will still have 4 years left on his contract at £300k per week which is ridiculous. Plus I'm sure there was a fairly hefty signing on fee in there as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    £300,000 a week

A say in the club's transfer policy

Future Ambassador

What next for the greedy one?

Do you always believe everything you read in the papers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

£300,000 per week?

I hope there is a clause in that contract that makes him pass the ball to Van Persie, because a playmaker that can't find his striker isn't worth £300,000 per week.

Has there been an official statement declaring his salary? That would be unusual!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

A breakdown of Rooney's new contract - http://es.pn/Nj1vqR

£15,600,000-a-year
    £300,000-a-week
    £43,000-a-day
    £1,800-an-hour
    £30-a-minute
    50p-a-second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    A breakdown of Rooney's new contract - http://es.pn/Nj1vqR

£15,600,000-a-year
    £300,000-a-week
    £43,000-a-day
    £1,800-an-hour
    £30-a-minute
    50p-a-second

so
    kryogen wrote: »
    Has there been an official statement declaring his salary? That would be unusual!

No
    Very simplistic way of looking at things. You're not accounting for the fact that any world class player that does sign for the club in the next few years will also seek higher wages as Rooney is now on such an extravagant wage.

How can such an excessive wage be justified? Rooney will turn 30 and will still have 4 years left on his contract at £300k per week which is ridiculous. Plus I'm sure there was a fairly hefty signing on fee in there as well

Top players arnt cheap, If we do manage to sign a Vidal or Kroos they would want >200,000 a week regardless of Rooney.

People need to get with the times, the club has been criticised for not spending enough on players now people are complaining that were spending too much to keep our best players. When does it end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭billyhead

If Rooney is worth €300,000 a week now what would Messi or Ronaldo be deserving of:eek:. The amount these lads earn for hoofing a ball around the pitch is insulting to the general public

No
    billyhead wrote: »
    If Rooney is worth €300,000 a week now what would Messi or Ronaldo be deserving of:eek:. The amount these lads earn for hoofing a ball around the pitch is insulting to the general public

They're both making much more money..

No
    beno619 wrote: »
    Top players arnt cheap, If we do manage to sign a Vidal or Kroos they would want >200,000 a week regardless of Rooney.

People need to get with the times, the club has been criticised for not spending enough on players now people are complaining that were spending too much to keep our best players. When does it end.

Says who?? Vidal just signed a new contract recently and his wages are still under £80k per week. I don't think the problem with Rooney was that he wasn't earning enough, so then why is the solution an increase in his wages? Illogical.

Players in other leagues are on much less than many PL players and there are top players who will take pay cuts if they really want to play for a club. Rooney should not have been given another pay raise imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

No
    billyhead wrote: »

Them hoofing a ball around the pitch is what generates billions.

The general public don't get 300k cause no one pays to watch them sit at a desk job

No
    Says who?? Vidal just signed a new contract recently and his wages are still under £80k per week. I don't think the problem with Rooney was that he wasn't earning enough, so then why is the solution an increase in his wages? Illogical.

Players in other leagues are on much less than many PL players and there are top players who will take pay cuts if they really want to play for a club. Rooney should not have been given another pay raise imo.

Vidal should get a new agent. I'm not sure what Juves finances are like and what they're wage structure is like but Vidal will 100% double his wages if he leaves this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    Pogbas on 25k a week :)

Offer Juve 30m and Pogba 150k a week and we could poach him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Sounds more like he's having a go at Fergie there.

That's how I interpreted that comment also.

No
    Anyone hear anything on Vidic here?

• Who gives a **** happy days he has signed a new contract, he's a greedy professional footballer big deal there everywhere, as long as he starts putting in the performances, starting at palace

• Anyone hear anything on Vidic here?
    As in the Inter move?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    i know there is a divide here with Rooney signing a new contract but im delighted to see him stay,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No
    kryogen wrote: »

All the reliable sources, BBC, The Guardian etc. are reporting the figure is approaching £300k/week. We can say with a fair degree of certainty that the wage is in that region.

Ferguson, or any top manager for that matter, would not give Rooney a 5.5 year contract on that money. It's even more ridiculous that he'll be approaching 34 when it ends.

First of all, he's not that good. Nowhere near. He's a fantastic player, but not at that level at all.

Secondly, just imagine the impact it will have when it comes to renegotiating contracts of current players or signing new players. Say for example if de Gea is in negotiations for a new contract, what's stopping his agent saying ''If Wayne Rooney is worth £300k/week, then my client is worth at least £180k/week''

The agent would be dead right as well, it's a perfectly reasonable argument that players should be paid relative to what other players at the club are getting.

The same goes for all other contract negotiations. It's a ridiculous precedent.

No
    beno619 wrote: »
    Vidal should get a new agent. I'm not sure what Juves finances are like and what they're wage structure is like but Vidal will 100% double his wages if he leaves this summer.

Why? Because his current agent isn't milking Juventus for everything he can get?

Vidal is worth a hell of a lot more than £80k per week. He knows it, his agent knows it, Juventus know it and everyone else knows it but yet he's still more than happy to play for Juve for much, much less than he could get elsewhere and that is exactly the kind of player Rooney isn't.

Rooney clearly doesn't care about United or he wouldn't be looking for transfers and demanding wage increases and the likes. By giving in to Rooney's demands, United have left themselves in a horrible situation for dealing with future signings and contract extensions like Blatter said above.

(Juventus' wage structure would be lower than the likes of United's due to their finances being directed towards paying off the new stadium. Yet even with a significantly lower wage structure they can still attract and keep top players.)

No
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    As in the Inter move?

maybe and little more

• Advertisement

• maybe and little more
    Latest but I would say this was posted already;
    A deal for Manchester United defender Nemanja Vidic to join Inter Milan is almost complete, with Inter chief Erick Thohir claiming the deal is 90% finalised.
    The Man United captain is out of contract at Old Trafford in the summer, and it seems this will almost certainly be his last season at the club.
    “I can’t saying anything other than the deal for Vidic is 90% done," Inter chief Erick Thohir told Eurosport.
    The news coincides with Wayne Rooney's new contract negotiations at the club, and as revealed by Mirror Football, Rooney will replace Vidic as captain when the Serbian leaves in the summer

• Blatter wrote: »
    All the reliable sources, BBC, The Guardian etc. are reporting the figure is approaching £300k/week. We can say with a fair degree of certainty that the wage is in that region.

Ferguson, or any top manager for that matter, would not give Rooney a 5.5 year contract on that money. It's even more ridiculous that he'll be approaching 34 when it ends.

First of all, he's not that good. Nowhere near. He's a fantastic player, but not at that level at all.

Secondly, just imagine the impact it will have when it comes to renegotiating contracts of current players or signing new players. Say for example if de Gea is in negotiations for a new contract, what's stopping his agent saying ''If Wayne Rooney is worth £300k/week, then my client is worth at least £180k/week''

The agent would be dead right as well, it's a perfectly reasonable argument that players should be paid relative to what other players at the club are getting.

The same goes for all other contract negotiations. It's a ridiculous precedent.

Maybe I do give a **** now...

Daglish echoed what your saying and it makes sense.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wayne-rooney-new-deal-kenny-3171051

No
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Maybe I do give a **** now...

Daglish echoed what your saying and it makes sense.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wayne-rooney-new-deal-kenny-3171051

He's right about the precedent of course but it's rich coming from him, the man who agreed to spend £35m on Andy Carroll and nearly £20m on Stewart Downing.

No
    is the 300 grand a week figure official or is it a case of when one paper mentioned (guessed) the figure everyone copied and followed suit.

No
    So what was the alternative?

No
    Blatter wrote: »
    He's right about the precedent of course but it's rich coming from him, the man who agreed to spend £35m on Andy Carroll and nearly £20m on Stewart Downing.

and selling them for £15.5 and £6 million making a loss of £33.5 million

• Advertisement

No

Offer him a reasonable wage. If he didn't accept, try to sell him to a foreign club in the Summer.

If he wouldn't have moved, let him run his contract down and let him do what he wants. No player is bigger than the club, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    I find it hard to accept that anybody is worth 300k. We need wage caps in football soon.

No
    Offer him a reasonable wage. If he didn't accept, try to sell him to a foreign club in the Summer.

If he wouldn't have moved, let him run his contract down and let him do what he wants. No player is bigger than the club, simple as that.

I can see both sides in this argument.

Im very 50/50 on it. Part of me is happy, the other part is much like what you said.

Although im not as worried about the precedent as some.

Its not a ideal scenario, but at same time it might also let other players that may want to join see that we are trying to hang onto the good players we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Selling him to Chelsea last summer. It's made naff all difference to our season over the piece and Chelsea would be the ones worrying about his physique in the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If we're accepting the figure reported now well then we have to accept the figure reported the last time he got a bump in his contract.

250k a week

So Fergie gave him around ~120k more than the next player down before RVP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

KH25 wrote: »
    I find it hard to accept that anybody is worth 300k. We need wage caps in football soon.

No we don't. It's a free market and should remain that way. Is Bill Gates worth the same as the millions of people combined who he has out earned?

Maybe players joining will think that if they do well enough they can get that type of money and it will motivate them? Rooney's been at United for 10 odd years now. Him being high paid shouldn't set a precedent unless another player who's been there for 10 years is looking for the money.

No
    I can see both sides in this argument.

Im very 50/50 on it. Part of me is happy, the other part is much like what you said.

Although im not as worried about the precedent as some.

Its not a ideal scenario, but at same time it might also let other players that may want to join see that we are trying to hang onto the good players we have.

I think with situations like this, there will always be positives and negatives you can take from it.

When you weigh them all up though, the negatives overpower the positives here, for me anyway. I just don't think it's a good decision, it smacks of fear and desperation. Makes the club look like pushovers.

As I said, I couldn't see Fergie allowing this to happen in a million years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

300k a week to Rooney is madness. IMO it makes the summer transfer targets even harder to get. They will now want premium wages to join us. Expect to see this being used as an excuse if we dont get our targets during the summer.

Rooney is not even in the top five players in the EPL. Hes nearly 30 and will have little or no sell on value in a couple of years. Maybe Utd are just getting him signed up so as they can get a higher sale price in the summer.

A Utd legend he is not. He isnt in the same bracket as Edwards, Best, Charlton, Law, Robson, Schmeichal, Keane, Cantona, Scholes, Giggs. And somehow even if he stays the 5 years he will still not be accepted as a legend by a number of fans

No
    If we're accepting the figure reported now well then we have to accept the figure reported the last time he got a bump in his contract.

250k a week

So Fergie gave him around ~120k more than the next player down before RVP

Nowhere near as bad when you take Rooney's age into account when signing that particular contract.

Also, United did really need Rooney back then too. Now they have RvP, Mata, Kagawa, Welbeck, Hernandez and Januzaj.

No
    I think with situations like this, there will always be positives and negatives you can take from it.

When you weigh them all up though, the negatives overpower the positives here, for me anyway. I just don't think it's a good decision, it smacks of fear and desperation. Makes the club look like pushovers.

As I said, I couldn't see Fergie allowing this to happen in a million years.

Ya I can see what you mean alright.

I am still going to sit very much on the fence on this one I say till summer anyway. I think it will be then we will see if it really was a bad move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

jamie jackson ‏@JamieJackson___ 3m
    Moyes: 'I can't tell you the amount of phone calls I've had from top players around the world who want to play for Manchester United" #mufc

Believe him, or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

We're after Alex Song according to a few different sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    A lot of over reactions to the salary here. Ronaldo is on 580k a week and he's worth every penny.

It's the entertainment industry. Players of Ronaldos and even Rooneys standard are worldwide stars with massive audiences and marketing value.

The club has insane revenues and can easily afford it. It's only natural that a higher revenue stream from the new tv and sponsorship deals will lead to higher player wages.

They are the stars of the show we pay to watch every week.

No
    Paully D wrote: »
    jamie jackson ‏@JamieJackson___ 3m
    Moyes: 'I can't tell you the amount of phone calls I've had from top players around the world who want to play for Manchester United" #mufc

Believe him, or not?

I dont think even a Sunderland player wants to join us at the moment Paully;):pac:

I dont believe that fully. Maybe a player or two are interested if things are right like wages etc. I dont think there is a long que though

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

So you speak for Ferguson, Moyes and 90% of United fans??

It's been well noted that Ferguson left glowing reports of Kagawa, You haven't a clue what Moyes thinks of him, perhaps Moyes thinks he doesn't fit into our new super idiotic tactical system of CROSS CROSS CROSS (he's right, too.)

As for 90% of fans, i'd never be such a tit as to think I can speak for other people.

Well I presume it's obvious even to the most idiotic keyboard warrior that neither Fergie nor Moyes have rated him highly enough to play the guy. These guys see him everyday in training, know the league and don't pick him yet you get guys waffling on in here proclaiming to know more than them while basing their opinions on his form two seasons ago.

Also not such a leap to say 90% of fans have been underwhelmed by Kagawa. He's done very little to impress since his arrival.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement