Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Paully D wrote: »
    jamie jackson ‏@JamieJackson___ 3m
    Moyes: 'I can't tell you the amount of phone calls I've had from top players around the world who want to play for Manchester United" #mufc

Believe him, or not?

Reverse tapping up?

Na

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    I dont think even a Sunderland player wants to join us at the moment Paully;):pac:

I dont believe that fully. Maybe a player or two are interested if things are right like wages etc. I dont think there is a long que though
    Maybe when they see the kind of contracts getting bandied about...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Blatter wrote: »
    As I said, I couldn't see Fergie allowing this to happen in a million years.

Fergie started it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Fergie started it.

with who? not doubting you just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The head on Woodward is fcuking Gas! :pac:

BhBgdufCQAA9cfZ.jpg

No
    He looks like he was after few pints

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

with who? not doubting you just curious

With Rooney.

No one can come out with a statement saying Fergie would never have done this when he did the exact same thing when Rooney handed in a transfer request and was rewarded with 250k per week.

There is absolutely no difference in this case, Rooney had us by the balls then and he has us by the balls now. It doesn't matter if we now have Mata, Kagawa, Van Persie et al. The fact is Rooney is still our best and most important player and moving in to a season with no ECL is not the time to start off loading your best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There's some fcuker who's got a hold of Moyes' phone number and is ringing him using a variety of accents saying he's a top player who wants to sign in the summer

There's no other explanation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Paully D wrote: »
    jamie jackson ‏@JamieJackson___ 3m
    Moyes: 'I can't tell you the amount of phone calls I've had from top players around the world who want to play for Manchester United" #mufc

Believe him, or not?

Nope.

The name "Manchester United" will still hold a bit of sway but with no Champions League and him as manager, I feel this much anticipated summer spending spree is going to be a huge letdown.

• Advertisement

The name Manchester United will still hold a lot of sway not a little.

The sky is not falling, not yet anyway :)

J. Marston wrote: »
    Nope.

The name "Manchester United" will still hold a bit of sway but with no Champions League and him as manager, I feel this much anticipated summer spending spree is going to be a huge letdown.
    Bull****e - Man City have proved money talks in relation to getting players, simple as.

No
    With Rooney.

No one can come out with a statement saying Fergie would never have done this when he did the exact same thing when Rooney handed in a transfer request and was rewarded with 250k per week.

There is absolutely no difference in this case, Rooney had us by the balls then and he has us by the balls now. It doesn't matter if we now have Mata, Kagawa, Van Persie et al. The fact is Rooney is still our best and most important player and moving in to a season with no ECL is not the time to start off loading your best players.

That was 3 years ago then when he still had more to offer.

I see what you mean to a point, but 3 full years(It was October 2010 to be precise) is fair bit of time in football

kryogen wrote: »
    The name Manchester United will still hold a lot of sway not a little.

The sky is not falling, not yet anyway :)
    Definitely more then a little - we are if i'm not mistaken with Bayern the two most successful clubs in Europe over the last 20 years in terms of trophy's.

No
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Definitely more then a little - we are if i'm not mistaken with Bayern the two most successful clubs in Europe over the last 20 years in terms of trophy's.

Barca, Real and Milan have won more CL then us in that time - 3 each

We have 2 with Bayern

Barca, Real and Milan have won more CL then us in that time - 3 each

We have 2 with Bayern
    Didn't mean CL but in all major competitions - Leagues, Cups, CL

• Advertisement

No
    Oh sorry..

be easily us and them I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

The head on Woodward is fcuking Gas! :pac:

No big players will want to come to UTD? Have Mata guys, I got your back.

ed-woodward-manchester-united-executive-vice-chairman_3046697.jpg?20131205092906

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Hococop wrote: »
    and selling them for £15.5 and £6 million making a loss of £33.5 million

Or buying Suarez for €20 million who could be sold for a €50 million profit. swings and roundabouts tbh.

Regarding Rooney, his figures off the field, merchandise etc must be as good as his figures on the field so the contract would be perfectly justifiable if that's the case. Which Id say it is.

He's one of the most recognizable players in the world and his revenue generated must be huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    Lots of overreacting here.

If Rooney had left for Chelsea he would have gotten a wage rise there as well.

Madrid Havnt been extorted by players neither have City or Chelsea. At the end of the day it's about how much the player wants and how much the club is willing to play. Every top player isn't all of a sudden going to want an extra 20,000 because of Rooney. He is an exception. Anybody who thinks letting him run down his contract or go to Chelsea needs to get their head checked..

It would cost 35-50 million to replace him and then offer his replacement Rooneys current wages. This is a good deal on so many levels for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No
    There's some fcuker who's got a hold of Moyes' phone number and is ringing him using a variety of accents saying he's a top player who wants to sign in the summer

There's no other explanation

It was probably Rio

Moyes you have been "Merked"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Wrt Rooneys contract...if there's one thing Ed Woodward appears to be pretty adept at it's doing the financials so I've no issue with it, this is his bread and butter.

Its really only a 20% increase if we believe what his previous contract was, not really a big deal when you look at how the market has risen in terms of wages and we must also factor in the captains premium he's also likely to be getting

What was Fergie doing asking about Cavani if we're tying Rooney to that kind of deal

Oh sorry..

be easily us and them I say.

Just looking at Leagues and Champions Lg/UEFA Cup/Europa Lg - It seems to look like this.

Since Jan 1990 -

United - 13 PL, 2CL .... 15
    Bayern - 12 BL, 2 CL, 1 EL ... 15
    Barca - 12 LL, 3 CL ... 15
    Real - 8 LL, 3CL ..... 11
    Milan - 7 SA, 4 CL ... 11
    Juve - 7 SA, 1CL, 2EL ... 10

Would love to see net spending beside those trophies won for each of the clubs - winning 15 major trophies in the PL era and seeing off the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and later City is actually an amazing achievement when you think about it.

No
    Would love to see net spending beside those trophies won for each of the clubs - winning 15 major trophies in the PL era and seeing off the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and later City is actually an amazing achievement when you think about it.

Sadly the man who made this happen retired last May and replaced with a man out of his comfort zone.

Sadly the man who made this happen retired last May and replaced with a man out of his comfort zone.
    I have yet to give up on the man, as I said before i'll give him until at least Jan 2015 before calling for his head - I thing he deserves that... taking over from SAF was always going to be an impossible job for any other manager in world football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    Just looking at Leagues and Champions Lg/UEFA Cup/Europa Lg - It seems to look like this.

Since Jan 1990 -

You should count the European cup winners cup if you're going back that far. We won one, not sure about others.

No
    I have yet to give up on the man, as I said before i'll give him until at least Jan 2015 before calling for his hear - I thing he deserves that... taking over from SAF was always going to be an impossible job for any other manager in world football.

He had my full backing. I would still expect a team that cruised to PL last season to make CL football though and be able to beat Swansea and Sunderland in the cup along with beating Fulham at home.

If he turns it around I be over the moon. But I dont think its going to happen.

I would expect my 17yo brother to do better then this **** and he has never even played Football Manager;)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Anyone got line up predictions for tomorrow? It'll be a tough game without a doubt, real chance we won't get a win that's badly needed.

Anyway:
    DDG
    Raf Vidic Smalling Evra
    Valencia Carrick Fellaini Mata
    Rooney
    RVP

Talk of Rafael having an injury, so in that case it's Smalling at RB and Jones in the middle. I think Fellaini will start against the physical team that Palace have, and it may also allow Mata some more freedom to roam.

Valencia - just have a feeling he's going to start, and the rest more or less picks itself.

Leaves something like Buttner, Fletch, Hernandez, Welbeck, Jones, Jan, Lindegaard, Kagawa, Rio (7/9 for the bench)

430 million net spend since 1990

• Advertisement

No
    Trilla wrote: »
    You should count the European cup winners cup if you're going back that far. We won one, not sure about others.

23 years ago!!! I can barely remember it. I was only 7 then. Christ, Sparky got great great goal that day.

Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

No
    23 years ago!!! I can barely remember it. I was only 7 then. Christ, Sparky got great great goal that day.

Good times.

All this talk of the cup winners cup reminds me I'm 33 this day week :(

Average spend of less then 18million a year would look fantastic if you dont go deeper :)

Any idea of the rest of the clubs? Real must surely have spend a fantastic figure.

No
    Vertigo100 wrote: »

You will be getting the pension soon, free Bus pass all that;);):pac:

No
    Our road to CWC final was

Pecsi Mecesk
    Wrexham
    Montpellier
    Liga Warsaw

Tough enough:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Since Jan 1990 -

Ajax and Porto are both worth a mention in that too. Ajax won the CL and UEFA Cup in that time, and must have picked up a fair few league titles too. Similarly Porto have won the CL, as well as the Europa twice. They must surely have at least as many league titles as anyone there

Any idea of the rest of the clubs? Real must surely have spend a fantastic figure.

817 million since 1990

He had my full backing. I would still expect a team that cruised to PL last season to make CL football though and be able to beat Swansea and Sunderland in the cup along with beating Fulham at home.

If he turns it around I be over the moon. But I dont think its going to happen.

I would expect my 17yo brother to do better then this **** and he has never even played Football Manager;)
    Look I personally think our current results are to an extent showing exactly why SAF won those 13 major honours ... He was behind the success and had the ability to get 110% from players ... He knew what to say, when to say and who to say it to in order to keep United winning.

Moyes is not a bad manager, you do not manage a team on a shoestring budget into the top 4 when your a bad manager. I'm confident he can turn the corner once he buys his players on his own terms. This is not his team, he did not build this team and everyone knew last year that some of our players were average even under the great man, don't mind under Moyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    37 in a few weeks lad. Don't feel too bad!
    Our road to CWC final was

Pecsi Mecesk
    Wrexham
    Montpellier
    Liga Warsaw

Tough enough:pac::pac:
    Always remembered that first crowd as Pesci Munkas???
    Amazing I can remember that bloody thing but not more recent stuff. Actually it's been commented on a couple of times that my memory of 80's and early 90's United is just stupid.

817 million since 1990
    Basically double United - amazing how SAF kept us a giant of European football ahead of almost everyone else in his time.

No
    Al Capwned wrote: »
    37 in a few weeks lad. Don't feel too bad!

Always remembered that first crowd as Pesci Munkas???
    Amazing I can remember that bloody thing but not more recent stuff. Actually it's been commented on a couple of times that my memory of 80's and early 90's United is just stupid.

Can remember barely the Wrexham and Warsaw games. I remember the final a little better.

Think it was on RTE. Open to correction. I did watch it.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Ajax and Porto are both worth a mention in that too. Ajax won the CL and UEFA Cup in that time, and must have picked up a fair few league titles too. Similarly Porto have won the CL, as well as the Europa twice. They must surely have at least as many league titles as anyone there
    Ajax - 10E, 1 CL, 1EL ... 12
    Porto - 17PL, 1CL, 2 EL. ... 20

The academy and guys like Eric Harrison must get plenty of credit for that too.

Turning out the likes of Scholes, the Nevilles, Beckham, Giggs, Butt, Brown, O Shea, Fletcher, Welbeck, Evans etc etc etc

Even the likes of Bardsley, Richardson, Greening to an extent

The identifying and developing of Rafael, Fabio, Jan

They factor heavily into a relatively low net spend, **** it a really low net spend considering success. The work done by Ferguson, from top to bottom cannot be understated tbh

He had a mental eye at times with players, like all managers, but he got some serious bargains in his time too, ranging from Irwin to Vida to Chicha

Ajax - 10E, 1 CL, 1EL ... 12
    Porto - 17PL, 1CL, 2 EL. ... 20

Without disrespecting the leagues too much, strength of league does have to come in to it also.

• Advertisement

Without disrespecting the leagues too much, strength of league does have to come in to it also.
    Yeah any team winning 17/24 titles is either winning CL's all round them or are playing a reduced competitive/lower quality league.... Not that Porto shouldn't be given credit for the great achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Absolutely, but conversely, it makes their European achievements all the more impressive, more so Porto given they won it in an era with such a financial distortion between the leagues.

As an interesting case Liverpool have net spend of just under 370 million since their decline after 1990.

Just 60m less than us it really shows in this case that money isn't everything.

As an interesting case Liverpool have net spend of just under 370 million since their decline after 1990.

Just 60m less than us it really shows in this case that money isn't everything.
    It really is amazing ...

Liverpool - 1LG, 1 CL, 1 EL ... 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

How in the name of god can utd justify giving rooney 300 grand a week its laughable tbh

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement