Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Headshot wrote: »
    yes super

You're embarrassing yourself here tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    Soccer A.M showing the best championship goals.....mostly crosses and header....we cant even do that right :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

irishfeen wrote: »
    I'm nothing of the sort but I have never ever wanted United to loose a match as you have said.

Some people are just spoilt and demand instant success. It's gone a lot worse than anyone could have expected but everyone is being too quick to ignore the other issues and jist blame Moyes. It was a poisoned chalice and I'd trust Moyes to spend money better than the next rent-a-manager to be mentioned here. He'll probably be forced out before next season but I think that would be a mistake.

Some people have given valid reasons for their aversion to Moyes in here and that I can accept and even empathise with in a lot of cases but the people coming in saying that they hope the team lose are just showing themselves up as glory hunters imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    Lose not loose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Lads, usually we have to wait till aftert he match to start calling people glory hunters....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    Moyes has destroyed a PL winning team, how the **** is that possible? We all know it was going to be hard after Fergie but for a manager to destroy a PL is somthing else.

Any other top team in Europe would of sacked him and infact wouldnt of gone near him because they would of gone for someone proven. I dont want me team to lose, of course not but I want as much heat on Moyes before the seasons ends and finally he gets the kick. We are out of the CL race and if Moyes stays we wouldnt have it next year either. Im thinking of the future instead of the here and now, I dont want utd to lose but if it helps us in the future so be it.
    Lads, usually we have to wait till aftert he match to start calling people glory hunters....

that glory hunter thing is very childish and I thought it couldnt get worse than my childish super and the glory hunter things starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

No
    Back on the gossip/rumours talk wouldn't it be stupid to let Kagawa hop it to Besiktas rather than use him as bait in a swoop for either of the Dortmund players, Hummels, Subotic, Reus or Gundogen ?? It's looking increasingly likely Moyes isn't gonna accommodate Kags in the team.

With regards the "in-fighting" amongst United fans surely to God (Like me) ye have enough Liverpool pr1cks slagging ye all off without having a go at each other. I've unfollowed numerous "friends" on facebook cause I just couldn't be reading the pathetic sh1te they were posting about United and Moyes and all that.

No
    I thinks you lot are being overly harsh on Headshot. Surely you can see his thinking behind his statement?

It's a bit condescending to call him a glory hunter etc if all if wants is what he perceives is best for Manchester United.

I want Moyes gone ASAP, think he has been an unmitigated disaster but just couldn't ever bring myself to wish Utd lose a match, but I can understand his rational behind it and it's not as outrageous as some of you here seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I don't think I have ever referred to anyone here as a "glory hunter" ... people can call for Moyes head, its their prerogative but to hope for United to loose any match is ridiculous.

No
    Back on the gossip/rumours talk wouldn't it be stupid to let Kagawa hop it to Besiktas rather than use him as bait in a swoop for either of the Dortmund players, Hummels, Subotic, Reus or Gundogen ?? It's looking increasingly likely Moyes isn't gonna accommodate Kags in the team.

With regards the "in-fighting" amongst United fans surely to God (Like me) ye have enough Liverpool pr1cks slagging ye all off without having a go at each other. I've unfollowed numerous "friends" on facebook cause I just couldn't be reading the pathetic sh1te they were posting about United and Moyes and all that.

It really depends why happens with Moyes in the summer. I agree that if he's still in charge Kagawa will be gone but, if there's a new manager in place Kagawa may well stay and get a proper chance.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    I thinks you lot are being overly harsh on Headshot. Surely you can see his thinking behind his statement?

It's a bit condescending to call him a glory hunter etc if all if wants is what he perceives is best for Manchester United.

I want Moyes gone ASAP, think he has been an unmitigated disaster but just couldn't ever bring myself to wish Utd lose a match, but I can understand his rational behind it and it's not as outrageous as some of you here seem to think.
    Actually no - I cannot comprehend how any United fan could hope for us to lose any match.

No

Thank you

Its about about the future for me. We have only 12 games left now, what harm is it that utd lose quite alot of them if in the end that we finally get a proper manager in? We have nothing to play for so what is the harm? Look at the bigger picture is what I say

No
    Actually no - I cannot comprehend how any United fan could hope for us to lose any match.

But he's explained why. You may strongly disagree but it's quite clear why he said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    kryogen wrote: »
    How much do you think they were paying for Wilson

Again, you missed the point of the post completely it seems, read it again?

What does it matter what Greening offered to us? Or whether he was a decent player?

The only credit necessary would be if they made a profit on him - which helped to keep the net spend low - which is what I said.

I read your post. You listed players from youth System who were/are exceptional for us, and then you said even greening,bardsley etc to an extent. Wasn't clear to me.

Not looking for a I'm right you're wrong I won't back down argument here, but we made **** all really on greening, he did nothing for us and isn't worth mentioning...imo

Wilson, well it's easy to assume now he wasn't half or more of the 3m.

I'm sorry I nitpicked now tbh. Gibson would be a waaay better example. Did a job, made a little dough on him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thank you

Its about about the future for me. We have only 12 games left now, what harm is it that utd lose quite alot of them if in the end that we finally get a proper manager in? We have nothing to play for so what is the harm? Look at the bigger picture is what I say
    Is it good for United to lose again just before a Champions League tie? Maybe you hope we lose to Olympiakos as well? Sure what harm can it do?

To say that United losing now is better for United in the long term is using some kind of ridiculous faux logic. It makes zero sense. It's. just. stupid.

No
    I never want United to lose. I want them to win everything and want to dominate.

But I can completely understand the idea behind wanting Moyes to come under as much pressure possible. I want him gone and a manager at the level of the club appointed, or at least a manager who looks like he has a plan and a clue. So while I don't want United to lose, I have come to accept it, and the possibility that a loss today won't be in vain if it helps Moyes out the door...

Thank you

While 4th is unlikely its still not impossible - we should go for it very hard, we still have to play Liverpool & Everton and our run in could be perceived as handy enough to if we get our act together.

But he's explained why. You may strongly disagree but it's quite clear why he said it.
    Doesn't make it right though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    i think i did say i would of sold rooney for 20 million this summer. He is only worth what people would be willing to pay for him and i think 50 million would interest nobody.

That might be the case. There aren't many clubs who have the kind of money and Rooney like most English players won't leave the PL which narrows it down even more.

I would say Chelsea would easily have paid 40m+ for him. They paid 50m for Torres. They were chancing their arm with all the controversy surrounding Rooney last summer.

At the end of the day he's worth every penny of that 300k a week contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Shut up you glory hunter!

• Advertisement

No
    Is it good for United to lose again just before a Champions League tie? Maybe you hope we lose to Olympiakos as well? Sure what harm can it do?

To say that United losing now is better for United in the long term is using some kind of ridiculous faux logic. It makes zero sense. It's. just. stupid.

Im talking about PL but no one expects us to win the CL tbh. Most utd fans like myself expect a top 4 place in the PL not a Europa league spot.

With every lost, it puts more pressure on Moyes and the hierarchy at utd, they will be forced to sack him, im convinced at that. Fans in the stretford end will start booing him and it will be the end of him.

You give Moyes another season at utd and it will be Roy Hodgson all over again. I dont want utd to go down and slippery road like Liverpool did. I rather take my loses now and begin a fresh next season.

I know most will disagree with me on the topic but its my own personal view
    While 4th is unlikely its still not impossible - we should go for it very hard, we still have to play Liverpool & Everton and our run in could be perceived as handy enough to if we get our act together.
    delusion thy name is Irishfeen

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    Doesn't make it right though.

While you/me/the cat/ the dog might not agree with it. You don't get to say what's right or wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

No

Surely you must hold the players culpable as much as Moyes if not more so ?

delusion thy name is Irishfeen
    Well I did say it is "unlikely" :)

lordgoat wrote: »
    While you/me/the cat/ the dog might not agree with it. You don't get to say what's right or wrong.
    Granted alright - my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Fellaini should start today or is he still out?

No

Nope. Not that they are totally blameless but Moyes is the problem IMO.

No

Players are playing with the tactics set out by Moyes. He is also the one choosing them.

Ultimately, the manager's job is to manage the players, and if he isn't doing that, then he blame falls on him.

No
    Fellaini should start today or is he still out?

Was on the bench last week so hopefully gets a start today. Wouldn't mind seeing him and Fletcher partnered today. A little risky perhaps but would be nice to see a glimpse of how they could play together in the centre.

• Advertisement

Nope. Not that they are totally blameless but Moyes is the problem IMO.
    What would Moyes have to do with this group of players to turn it around in your eyes? - win the CL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

What would Moyes have to do with this group of players to turn it around in your eyes? - win the CL?

Win the CL?

He's the reason United won't be in it next season.

No

Speaking for myself, I don't think he can do anything; nothing will make me forget the horrid time he has had thus far.

Win the CL?

He's the reason United won't be in it next season.
    I meant this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No
    With Rooney.

No one can come out with a statement saying Fergie would never have done this when he did the exact same thing when Rooney handed in a transfer request and was rewarded with 250k per week.

There is absolutely no difference in this case, Rooney had us by the balls then and he has us by the balls now. It doesn't matter if we now have Mata, Kagawa, Van Persie et al. The fact is Rooney is still our best and most important player and moving in to a season with no ECL is not the time to start off loading your best players.

Yeah, it does actually. If Rooney left the club this Summer, United would still have an awful lot of quality in attacking positions. If he left in 2011, United would've been left with Berbatov, Hernandez and a 20 year old Welbeck coming back from a loan at Sunderland.

And he wouldn't have to be sold this Summer either, United would've still had him tied to a contract until Summer 2015 if he hadn't renewed. It's incorrect to insinuate that the decision was to either give Rooney this deal or lose him in the Summer. That wasn't the case. But as I said, even if he did leave, United have a lot of quality in the central attacking positions.

Also interesting that you didn't provide a rationale as to giving Rooney such a big contract until he's nearly 34. You seemed to ignore that.

No
    With the players leaving in the summer and the increased spending power we have for transfers and salaries we should be targeting any underpaid talent out there at the moment before others do. At least put pressure on their clubs to give them better deals.

Looking at some players out there and comparing their salaries to Rooneys new yearly deal.

Rooney 13m

Pogba 1.2m
    Reus 4m
    Hummels 3m
    Subotic 2m
    Vidal 3.5m
    Gundogan 1.5m
    Toni Kroos 3.4m
    Koke 1m

• Advertisement

Speaking for myself, I don't think he can do anything; nothing will make me forget the horrid time he has had thus far.
    I suppose that's fair enough, I would give him next season to turn things around but I do understand where your coming from.

I meant this season.

Ha Ha. . yea - That'd be some steal alright.

Can't beat Fulham/Stoke/Sunderland. . . .never mind Bayern Munich/Dortmund Barcelona

No

No, they arent good enough to win the CL.

Finish in the top four, be more positive with his tactics, team selections etc.

None of which will happen this season and none of which will happen next season if he is still in charge IMO.

He has done such a poor job this season I honestly don't believe he should be given the chance next season. I don't think majority of the players have confidence in him and are really playing for him.

My honest opinion is that it was a big mistake appointing Moyes and if he continues in charge things will only get worse. It's criminal to get this group of players to perform so poorly and get such poor results on such a consistent basis.

BloodBath wrote: »
    With the players leaving in the summer and the increased spending power we have for transfers and salaries we should be targeting any underpaid talent out there at the moment before others do. At least put pressure on their clubs to give them better deals.

Looking at some players out there and comparing their salaries to Rooneys new yearly deal.

Rooney 13m

Pogba 1.2m
    Reus 4m
    Hummels 3m
    Subotic 2m
    Vidal 3.5m
    Gundogan 1.5
    Toni Kroos 3.4m
    Koke 1

Looking at that list. . Rooney is not a better player than Reus, Gundogan or Kroos.

Ha Ha. . yea - That'd be some steal alright.

Can't beat Fulham/Stoke/Sunderland. . . .never mind Bayern Munich/Dortmund Barcelona
    Liverpool 05 .... One can dream mate :)

• Advertisement

He has done such a poor job this season I honestly don't believe he should be given the chance next season.

He will be given another chance though next season . . . and when it looks like he's not going to make the Champions League again. . . He'll get a phone call from the Glazers' office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    Looking at that list. . Rooney is not a better player than Reus, Gundogan or Kroos.

They may be in better form, but have done nothing in football compared to Rooney.

No

The point is all of the players on that list are underpaid and poachable. Most if not all would at least double their wages at United. The likes of Pogba and Koke would at least quadruple their salaries.

Rooney has proven himself over his entire career at United. There is no guarantee any of those signings would be as prolific for us as Rooney.

Rooney has proven his worth at United. They would have to do the same to get the same money.

No
    He will be given another chance though next season . . . and when it looks like he's not going to make the Champions League again. . . He'll get a phone call from the Glazers' office.

You may well be right but I sincerely hope you are wrong.

beno619 wrote: »
    They may be in better form, but have done nothing in football compared to Rooney.

But Rooney was signed on the basis of what he might do in the future.

He's a great player but is he worth that money?

I don't think he is.

That's exactly my take on it too ... If we are inside top 4 at Christmas he will stay , outside and he'll be asked do step aside.... Something I actually agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Lose not loose.

tilts me so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    But Rooney was signed on the basis of what he might do in the future.

He's a great player but is he worth that money?

I don't think he is.
    If any of those players are signed and achieve the level of success Rooney has then they will deserve to be in the same pay grade.

To United yes, I also think he would be worth the money to Chelsea or Madrid, teams like PSG with Zlatan and Cavani probably wouldn't fancy him because of their existing talent.

Again it would cost 35-50 million to replace Rooney - Whatever small fee we got for him. We would then have to play his replacement similar money to what Rooney was on.

At the end of the day we have tacked £50,000 a week onto his contract to keep our best player. Good deal IMO. The club can afford it.

No
    That's exactly my take on it too ... If we are inside top 4 at Christmas he will stay , outside and he'll be asked do step aside.... Something I actually agree with.

For what it's worth, with regards our little bet, if I win (i.e. if Moyes is sacked pre 1st Jan), I'll donate the tenner to charity :) You want to do the same? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

This is like the trappatoni ireland situation. Look if Moyes is a part of large part of the problem (which it certainly appears to me as a neutral) why the hell would anyone want him there to scupper another season? :confused: Moronic decision to appoint him to a club of united stature given the history and success, expectation. No other club in Europe in that class at the time of his appointment would even have him on the radar... I heard ferguson was pushing him, with all due respect, he's not paying his wages...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement