Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    Shame we arent playing that way. 4th is long gone

Liverpool have the harder run in, if we beat them there's every chance of nicking it, I'll live in hope, a performance today will go a long way with Liverpool not playing til tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Liverpool have the harder run in, if we beat them there's every chance of nicking it, I'll live in hope, a performance today will go a long way with Liverpool not playing til tomorrow

2 things

Liverpool are not the only problem. Spurs and Everton are above us and also challenging on merit.

We have shown no signs of being able to play half decent against the better teams in the league. Abysmal record and Liverpools forwards could tear us apart.

(I'm a natural pessimist though)

No
    2 things

Liverpool are not the only problem. Spurs and Everton are above us and also challenging on merit.

We have shown no signs of being able to play half decent against the better teams in the league. Abysmal record and Liverpools forwards could tear us apart.

(I'm a natural pessimist though)

Everton lost today, if we win today we go into 6th, 8 points behind 4th with a game in hand although we would have to start performing consistently on the run in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Everton lost today, if we win today we go into 6th, 8 points behind 4th with a game in hand although we would have to start performing consistently on the run in

this is the probem. too much talk of x amount of points to make up. we've shown nothing to suggest we can

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

We've nothing to play for in the league and hes leaving. Why not see what Jones can do? Don't see any merit in your argument

Big game next Tuesday too so I think he played Rio and Smalling to rest others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    Good team, tactics are still crap unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

beno619 wrote: »
    Good team, tactics are still crap unfortunately.
    What's going wrong with tactics and what should be done instead?

I'm not going to get carried away, it is only Crystal Palace, but I actually 'enjoyed' that first half. Yeah we could go on to lose 2-0 on the counter or it could remain 0-0, but the link-up play and emphasis on attacking through the middle is the first bit of positive football I've seen from the team in too many minutes.

Also, Fellaini is making his presence known and showing a small percentage of his ability in a Utd shirt...finally! I saw one of our own completely chop Fellaini in the match thread for missing that chance, but it was some nice play from Fellaini in the 1st place that created it. He isn't the first to miss one of those 'shoulda put his foot through it instead' chances and won't be the last, plus his match sharpness is at an all time low.

Have great hopes that Utd can put at least one on the score-sheet, it is quite the bus that CP park at Selhurst in their Pulis era, but we have the talent out there to break through and almost have done a few times so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Where did the game in hand come from ? I don't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

eigrod wrote: »

Everton have a game in hand over Utd (the storm blew one out) not the other way round. Liverpool and Utd are on same games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

United don't have a game in hand, Everton do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    Fantastic goal by Rooney

No
    eigrod wrote: »

I meant Liverpool have a game in hand in that they're playing tomorrow, spurs playing tomorrow too and Everton with their called off game still to play

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Really happy with the result and more importantly the performance today. The tactics and style were night and day compared to the last few games.

Granted, there's no point playing well today if we don't build on it, and I hope we don't have cries of "Here we go!". But a good performance is a good performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    Fellaini played well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

One of the commentators in the match after saying that Evra has now played enough games this season to extend his current deal. First I've heard of it but does that mean its up to Evra whether hes at United next year or not (regardless of whether united want to offer him a contract)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Fellaini played well :)

Yup. Back after an injury but looked solid. Should of scored too.

Happy with him overall though. Hopefully he can push on from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

No
    That wasnt bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's a good result. RVP and Rooney both scoring is a good sign. Needed to call on De Gea a couple of times and he was solid as a rock when needed.

• Advertisement

No
    2-0 against a bus im happy.

No
    What's going wrong with tactics and what should be done instead?

Fellaini was pushing up too high beyond Rooney and Mata on numerous occasions. Poor movement. Adnan and Mata should have changed is up a bit as Smalling had to provide the width on the right, his crossing ain't great.

No
    One of the commentators in the match after saying that Evra has now played enough games this season to extend his current deal. First I've heard of it but does that mean its up to Evra whether hes at United next year or not (regardless of whether united want to offer him a contract)?

Yeah it's up to evra now if he wants to extend his contract, can't see it happening though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

No
    Some encouraging signs today but won't be gettin carried away just yet. We need to see a consistent improvement before gettin too excited i think.

Rooney's goal was a beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Headshot wrote: »
    nothing to play for so i would like another dagger in moyes side
    Jaysus you must be disgusted with the result ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

beno619 wrote: »
    Fellaini was pushing up too high beyond Rooney and Mata on numerous occasions. Poor movement. Adnan and Mata should have changed is up a bit as Smalling had to provide the width on the right, his crossing ain't great.

I'd disagree with Fellaini, the most dangerous moments were when he got forward. Definitely needs to be better movement from the rest when Mata or Rooney has the ball facing the defense. There should be better options than Smalling as 2nd choice RB with Rafael out so often. I'd even take Valencia there now at this stage. Still no Kagawa which is annoying as usual.

All that said there were more positives in that performance than any time this year. Much more like the United of last season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

evra brilliant today, goal for rooney rvp aswell, fellaini 80min under the belt, things looking good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Headshot wrote: »
    nothing to play for so i would like another dagger in moyes side

some united fan you are

No
    Liam O wrote: »
    I'd disagree with Fellaini, the most dangerous moments were when he got forward. Definitely needs to be better movement from the rest when Mata or Rooney has the ball facing the defense. There should be better options than Smalling as 2nd choice RB with Rafael out so often. I'd even take Valencia there now at this stage. Still no Kagawa which is annoying as usual.

All that said there were more positives in that performance than any time this year. Much more like the United of last season.

I was happier when he sat back broke up play and released quickly, would prefer not to see him waiting outside the box for a cross. Na Smalling is solid defensively Val isnt good at anything anymore.

Decent performance, easily could have ended 0-0 if we didnt get a slice of "luck". I still dont see a clear way of integrating RVP,Mata and Rooney. Enjoyed seeing Mata in the Ineasta role for the last 10 mins though.

bangkok wrote: »
    some united fan you are
    Don't, you'll only be called a "super fan" for questioning it...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Ah jesus, we just won. Do we need to continue the personal bickering? Ironically, I thought it would be the other side who'd be the first to go back to the negative...

• Advertisement

Ah jesus, we just won. Do we need to continue the personal bickering? Ironically, I thought it would be the other side who'd be the first to go back to the negative...
    Don't worry I'm fcuking delighted for the team and David Moyes with the result :)

No

This thread will have barneys regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

No
    The table can be looked at now .

Wonder can Spurs/Pool be nabbed .?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    We can only hope. It's theirs to lose.

I still also have hope that we take down Olympiakos and get a relatively easy semi draw to have a chance to get into the UCL final and you never know what could happen there.

It would be worth all the turmoil this year to deny Liverpool their spot by winning the champions league.

A dream I know but a sweet one :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Today was like a breath of fresh air :-)

No
    2-0 against a bus im happy.

Exactly, palace set up very similar to Fulham except this time we didn't play the crossing game, we played well through the middle and had some good performances from the likes of evra and fellaini, hopefully we can keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Looked more like a team today than any other time this season. I'd like that side or as close as possible to it from here on in.

We are badly in need of a right back that can deliver a cross.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    Today was like a breath of fresh air :-)

Really?

Today was the same awful football it's been all season. Rooneys strike was the only thing in 90mins with any skill. That aside he was poor too.

There's no tempo or pace to the team. And the subs he brings on...

No
    Looked more like a team today than any other time this season. I'd like that side or as close as possible to it from here on in.

We are badly in need of a right back that can deliver a cross.

Seamus Coleman. It would be great to have an Irish man back in the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

lordgoat wrote: »
    Really?

Today was the same awful football it's been all season. Rooneys strike was the only thing in 90mins with any skill. That aside he was poor too.

In fairness Palace just sat in their own half surrendering possession all game. They deserved to lose.

Games like that are always frustrating and I don't think onlookers appreciate it. It was very tight and Selhurst park is a narrow pitch.

There was some patient buildup play and some good linkup play. Alot of positives coming from that including another game with RVP, Rooney and Mata together and Fellaini getting a good run out ( and doing really well).

That combo of Carrick sitting alongside Fellaini looks tasty.

Good result, bit of confidence going into Champo league and hopefully we can build on it

• Advertisement

No
    Really?

You're really a breath of fresh air in this thread:pac:
    Every single post of yours is negative

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Certainly need to speed up and be slicker.

Genuinely pleased that more patience was displayed and more attempts at passes around the box rather than just kicking the ball into the box.

Carrick had 135 successful passes today so good to see him being influential in teams approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Todays performance was far more fluid and solid then what we had seen before.

We were nothing out of the ordinary, but that was like Fergie many occasions past few seasons.

Least our performance was more mixed today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No
    Let's see what a burst of positivity can do to this team.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    TheDoc wrote: »
    In fairness Palace just sat in their own half surrendering possession all game. They deserved to lose.

Games like that are always frustrating and I don't think onlookers appreciate it. It was very tight and Selhurst park is a narrow pitch.

There was some patient buildup play and some good linkup play. Alot of positives coming from that including another game with RVP, Rooney and Mata together and Fellaini getting a good run out ( and doing really well).

That combo of Carrick sitting alongside Fellaini looks tasty.

Good result, bit of confidence going into Champo league and hopefully we can build on it

I'd agree with this, but I still feel we were not solid enough at the back and def not fluid enough going forward. Do you think if we play like this in the CL it will be good enough to score goals?
    You're really a breath of fresh air in this thread:pac:
    Every single post of yours is negative

And this post sums up the vast majority of what you contribute to the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

No
    I am not a United fan, but even I could see that they were doing all the right things and in the end they were worthy winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Very hard to play against a team that sits deep & stays compact. Its job done & back to winnings ways but some United fans expect us turn up, win 5-0 every week and wont be happy until we do so

No
    There's deficiencies in the team that can't be sorted until the summer although Rio should be playing as little as possible. I know it's his last season and all but he looked like he was in bits towards the end of that game despite having very little to do for most of it.

I know he had to because of injuries though. It's a prime example of why we need to buy 1-2 solid CB's in the summer. A couple of injuries in there, which seem to be common for CB's, and we're screwed.

No

And this post sums up the vast majority of what you contribute to the thread.

Do you want to explain why or hang on, maybe you should just reply with "you don't have a clue" like you normally do, or maybe you want to get owned like you did when you said David May didn't say that Ryan giggs wasn't very clever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Wayne Rooney has scored/assisted 19 goals in 22 appearances (20 starts) this season.

Not bad at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement