Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Speaking of Dortmund, anyone catch the game v Hamburg (where the saviour Klopp side got thumped)

Some free kick in it, keeper should be shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    I would have saved that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

Has he played this season at all yet?

Last game he played as far as I can tell was for Germany against Paraguay on 14/08/13 and he only has one league appearance for Dortmund this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

kryogen wrote: »
    Jesus what a pair of keepers!

Schmeichel was such a physical beast its kinda funny seeing Edwin tower above him :)

I really believe if we can keep De Gea long term he will be every bit as good, if not better than the two of them.

He's getting better all the time. And not to mention he has put on serious muscle since arriving!;

david-de-gea-manchester-united-muscle-620x350.jpg
    David De Gea is poised to sign a new deal that will keep him at Manchester United until 2018.

De Gea’s current contract expires in two years and United are keen to tie him down to an improved deal worth £90,000 a week.

Barcelona have been monitoring the keeper’s situation , with a view to a potential summer move for the £25million-rated Spaniard.

De Gea, 23, has become United’s first-choice keeper despite a shaky start after joining from Atletico Madrid for £17.5m in 2011 and the club are keen to endorse his value with a new deal.

With skipper Nemanja Vidic quitting at the end of the season and Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra set to follow, United boss David Moyes faces a big rebuilding job this summer.

Ryan Giggs, 40, is also set to end his illustrious playing career, but De Gea is one Moyes wants to keep long-term.

No
    I would love to know what likes of Rio, Nani, Valencia and DDG can bench.

They would obviously not be huge lads as footballers,but they just have all muscle. Especially Nani and Valencia.

Valencia is built like a cruiserweight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Valencia taking care of Baines;

1608nid.jpg
    Rio Ferdinand about Valencia:

I saw Valencia in the gym today…the guy throws the weights around like how I threw @RobbieSavage8 about! #strongestwingerinthegame #fact !

No

Some of them stronger then you give them credit for

Some of them stronger then you give them credit for

?

Middleweight probably would have been more accurate, but what??

• Advertisement

No
    Ah well sure make up your mind!

anyway few back pages tomorrow in relation to us.

BhG533FCUAAyGS7.jpg

BhHP5EmCUAA9obJ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Nani is a bit of a tank.

nani2x70s.gif

Cruiserweight is bigger then middleweight, so I would have been giving him more credit for strength then middleweight, thats what has confused me, anyways

No
    How come I read as Bantamweight:o:o:o

Cruiserweight. Strong but not that strong.

Maybe somewhere along Super Middleweight.

Ill tweet Rio to find out;)

No
    Just realised we have no game next week.

booo hooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

No
    VDS record is under serious threat after today by Fraser Forster, think it would cheapen it somewhat if he were to break the British record for consecutive minutes without conceding all things considered?

No I don't think it cheapens anything. The record is what it is.
    VDS can keep the English record.

So even though it is the best record in Scottish or Even British football history, it's somehow easy?

Forster is an excellent keeper, and has great relationship with his back 4

• Advertisement

No
    Maybe in the next match, for the first time in his reign, Moyes will pick an unchanged 11?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Maybe in the next match, for the first time in his reign, Moyes will pick an unchanged 11?!

Mata cup-tied so it can't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

No
    No I don't think it cheapens anything. The record is what it is.
    VDS can keep the English record.

So even though it is the best record in Scottish or Even British football history, it's somehow easy?

Forster is an excellent keeper, and has great relationship with his back 4

That's what happens when there's no rangers,piss poor opposition fact.
    There champs lge record backs up how good the are :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Missed the second half. Dud fellaini step it up or was he still timid in his passing?

No
    Mata cup-tied so it can't happen.

Oh right

Then I guess Shinji will come in, Moyes seems to like him in the Champions League

• Advertisement

No
    bassy wrote: »
    That's what happens when there's no rangers,piss poor opposition fact.
    There champs lge record backs up how good the are :)

When picking and choosing which games should count, how many of VDS's games were against strong opposition in your opinion?
    Or does it go by shots on goal? Is there a minimum number for the game to become valid?
    Or maybe VDS isn't valid as he played for a dominant Man Utd team?

Champions League matches don't count when setting league records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    Who gives a crap about some poxy record anyway.

There's a billion and 1 meaningless records out there. They will be forgotten about in the morning until someone else gets close.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

You've just been Hodged lads....

Moyes Sunday paper quotes: "It isn’t always the best teams that get to the final in Europe. Liverpool in 2005 gives us hope."

fűcking hell he is managing Manchester Utd.

Would Fergie, Jose, Pep, etc ever say similar?

No
    Mind games maybe? Why are you offended anyway? It's true.

Jose would definitely say something like that or worse. He pretty much called Wenger a failure.

I don't think any United fan is under any illusion that we are one of the better teams who can compete for the champions league at the moment either. Maybe in a couple of years.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Mind games maybe? Why are you offended anyway? It's true.

I wouldn't say offended but when Hodgson came out with such tripe it was nothing more than pure selfish manoeuvre to do nothing but lower expectations for no other reason than to save his own skin, or buy more time due to his incompetence.

Moyes is up to the same here imo.

He just spent £80million on players ffs and resigned another for £70mil over next 5yrs.

No
    I think you're reading a bit too much into it.

All he said was we aren't the best team in the competition and that the best team doesn't always win and that we have a chance.

I don't think saying we are one of the best teams in it and that we have a great chance of winning would help the cause.

I think you're reading a bit too much into it.

All he said was we aren't the best team in the competition and that the best team doesn't always win and that we have a chance.

Fine I couldn't give a flying tbh and the sooner you's are out the better imo.

just reminds me so much of Hodgsons days at Liverpool which rises some weird dark anxed in me :)

No
    I find it funny that Liverpool supporters are so preoccupied with United.

I never go into the Liverpool thread or any other team thread. Likewise on facebook.

Enjoy 4th while you can, it won't last for long. :)

There's 1 thing this season reminded me of though. Never show any pity or understanding to pool supporters, kick them when they are down and keep kicking them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

No

I never go into the Liverpool thread or any other team thread. Likewise on facebook.

There's 1 thing this season reminded me of though. Never show any pity or understanding to pool supporters, kick them when they are down and keep kicking them :)

I would suggest that both sets of fans can be equally preoccupied by eachother, this season has been a crazy one that we've not seen for many a year. Which has seen a serious change in fortunes.

Great win yesterday, coupled with the Rooney on a par in cash with some of the football mercenaries on the PL, Moyes steadies the ship until the next result - hopefully enough to keep the man in a job for next season.

Love Moysie.

No
    Ah it's all good. The rivalry is back for the first time in years.

If the Gundogan rumors are true then that's another great acquisition for a position we badly need quality in.

We have a good foundation for a great team there with only 3 more top signings needed.

Who do we buy for the remaining positions? My vote goes to Coleman for RB. What about CB and LB?

We might need 1-2 more depending on who is leaving in the summer.

????----Jones---????----????
    Fellaini--Gundogan
    ----Mata-Rooney-Kagawa---
    RVP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I thought we played ok last night. But ive got great encouragement from that ok performance, the strategy was changed up big time, more variation and less crossing, this strategy is only going to get better and better with these players on the pitch together. Fellaini and Carrick looked a promising pair, Fellaini impressive after a long time out, strong, robust, passed it simply and moved his weight forward. Really liked Rooney and Mata dropping off and linking things together and aiding a good possession game. Palace away under Pulis was gonna be tough and has been tough for most everyone and the job got done.
    Rio and Vidic continue to look dodge tho.

Overall, I think there was lots to be positive about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

No
    Ah it's all good. The rivalry is back for the first time in years.

If the Gundogan rumors are true then that's another great acquisition for a position we badly need quality in.

We have a good foundation for a great team there with only 3 more top signings needed.

Who do we buy for the remaining positions? My vote goes to Coleman for RB. What about CB and LB?

We might need 1-2 more depending on who is leaving in the summer.

????----Jones---????----????
    Fellaini--Gundogan
    ----Mata-Rooney-Kagawa---
    RVP

I don't get the Kagawa angle from many supporters. They guy has now been left out for Fergie (Whose word is pretty much Gospel) and now Moysie. When he plays in Europe he seemed to have a freer role and played notably better but will that remain we shall see. In the PL he's been pretty poor but for some reason by being left out of the side his stock rose - kinda like Fletcher in a way who was a rotating player under Fergie but by missing some crucial games most notably Barca he went up a notch.

Do you really see Kagawa in that position week in week out? If so why is he not playing at all really under Moyes? Or is it that many fans just WANT to see him succeed?

Fellaini for Carrick? Finding a centr back partnership is the most crucial imo, forget the 30mill attackers, go buy some quality defenders if you feel only Jones is good enough for that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    You've just been Hodged lads....

Would Fergie, Jose, Pep, etc ever say similar?

Hasn't Jose been talking about poor little Chelsea all season? The team that aren't ready yet for a league title.

If he was asked what chance United had of winning the Champions League, what answer could he have given that wouldn't have you running in here like an excited schoolgirl that couldn't wait to tell us all?
    If he said we had a good chance he'd be deluded :rolleyes:

For someone that "couldn't give a flying" you sure as f**k don't act it.

No
    I don't get the Kagawa angle from many supporters. They guy has now been left out for Fergie (Whose word is pretty much Gospel) and now Moysie. When he plays in Europe he seemed to have a freer role and played notably better but will that remain we shall see. In the PL he's been pretty poor but for some reason by being left out of the side his stock rose - kinda like Fletcher in a way who was a rotating player under Fergie but by missing some crucial games most notably Barca he went up a notch.

Do you really see Kagawa in that position week in week out? If so why is he not playing at all really under Moyes? Or is it that many fans just WANT to see him succeed?

Fellaini for Carrick? Finding a centr back partnership is the most crucial imo, forget the 30mill attackers, go buy some quality defenders if you feel only Jones is good enough for that team.

I think he deserves another season playing that formation. Having more quality around him should also improve his performances. He's shown what he can do at Dortmund. If they do sell him in the summer he will need replacing. Adnan can obviously play there too but we need at least 1 more if Kags goes.

Yes Fellaini for Carrick. Carrick is 33 in the summer. He's still going to get plenty of games but we need to develop Fellaini to be his replacement.

Jones was chosen as he's tipped to be a great CB even though he hasn't proven it yet. Evans and Smalling will still get lot's of games but we need at least 1 world class reliable established CB to hold the fort with 1 of them while they develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hasn't Jose been talking about poor little Chelsea all season? The team that aren't ready yet for a league title.

If he was asked what chance United had of winning the Champions League, what answer could he have given that wouldn't have you running in here like an excited schoolgirl that couldn't wait to tell us all?
    If he said we had a good chance he'd be deluded :rolleyes:

For someone that "couldn't give a flying" you sure as f**k don't act it.

They're so desperate for parallels so they can get on their high horses it's quite funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

No
    I missed the game yesterday. How did Fellaini play?

nahh I couldn't give a flying tbh.

its just I work in an industry that quickly weeds out incompetence, and I get to see first hand the excuses dished out by someone preserving ones skin, or trying to buy more time due to their own incompetence.

Wouldn't expect anyone to come out and say they were going to win X when performances tell a different story - yes that would be deluded.

but sometimes its better to say nothing at all.

Hodgson with his 'historic win' and 'hope we dont concede 10 against City' comments are classic cases.

Tell one positive aspect a manager of one of the biggest clubs in football today gets out of saying that? -nothing!

It was (imo) a comment that benifits no one but himself.

Hodgsonesque.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

One win against Palace and this thread completely changes.

No
    Maybe. Time will tell if Moyes was a mistake. The obvious verdict at this moment in time is that he was. He's not the best public speaker in the world and I don't think he's used to the media and public scrutinizing everything he says.

The positivity will come with results.

I think he will build a great team and it's shaping up nicely so far. Whether he has the player management and tactical skill to make the most of them remains to be seen. If not at least he's going to leave a great team for his replacement, unlike Fergie.

• Advertisement

No

Yes, we all think we're going to win the league now :rolleyes:

Yes, we all think we're going to win the league now :rolleyes:

Thats fair enough but don't you dare says 'Its our Year' .... We've that badboy tradmarked.

get your own :)

No
    nahh I couldn't give a flying tbh.

its just I work in an industry that quickly weeds out incompetence, and I get to see first hand the excuses dished out by someone preserving ones skin, or trying to buy more time due to their own incompetence.

Wouldn't expect anyone to come out and say they were going to win X when performances tell a different story - yes that would be deluded.

but sometimes its better to say nothing at all.

Hodgson with his 'historic win' and 'hope we dont concede 10 against City' comments are classic cases.

Tell one positive aspect a manager of one of the biggest clubs in football today gets out of saying that? -nothing!

It was (imo) a comment that benifits no one but himself.

Hodgsonesque.

Ok, so he should have said we have a great chance and be called deluded or said we have no chance and be called defeatist?

Or should he have told them to f*ck off and mind their own business and be called mental?

Dalglish took the third option and came out of it looking worse than Hodgson if you ask me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

You can't kick those Liverpool fans hard enough. By far the worst in the premiership.

Big brushes in use today I see.

Thank fůck the minority don't represent the majority in life.

Ok, so he should have said we have a great chance and be called deluded or said we have no chance and be called defeatist?

Or should he have told them to f*ck off and mind their own business and be called mental?

Dalglish took the third option and came out of it looking worse than Hodgson if you ask me..

he tried to use a negative to make a positive point.

Hodgson is the king of cockup.

Kenny got some things wrong but the majority and most important things right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Wait until Liverpool lose a game, then come over.

Seriously - the reverse preoccupation has been going ever since Ferguson's perch comment. There's always been a preoccupation with the other team from both clubs becuse of the rivalry.

And we're more conerned about SPurs at the moment, so relax.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

No
    he tried to use a negative to make a positive point.

Hodgson is the king of cockup.

Kenny got some things wrong but the majority and most important things right.
    Managers have to deal with sh*tty questions all the time. There will be no right answers to a lot of them.

Kenny came across as a bitter, angry, old man, out of touch with the modern way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

What do you expect? Still talk about Stoke game..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Thank god, good season for them is just playing for 4th place, imagine them playing like Bayern.. I would just close the account and take permanent break from all football forums.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    What do you expect? Still talk about Stoke game..

My point was quite simple. Last week, the majority of lads in here were *shock horror* having conversations with Liverpool fans in here, now after a win against Palace there is no interest in a conversation, just about how obsessed we are.

Newsflash buddy, we are much more interested in how Spurs are doing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement