Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    At a stag weekend and missed the game, read through the match thread which was surprisingly short (we must have played okay)

Looks like Fellaini had a good game, was there anything new or just the same old stuff?

Well we mixed it up more. Rooney got fantastic goal.

It was not cross cross cross. We were nothing special, but it was enough to win.

Palace will be tricky place for lot of teams under Pulis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    At a stag weekend and missed the game, read through the match thread which was surprisingly short (we must have played okay)

Looks like Fellaini had a good game, was there anything new or just the same old stuff?

We were solid and had a visible midfield. Nothing much to say other that that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

A lot more play through the middle with Mata and Rooney facing the defense. Fellaini provided good penetration through the middle but all 3 didn't really come together for a successful move in the first half, they would all do something well but one of them would mess it up. Palace were probably too deep for RVP to have a proper impact but he wasn't great. The game pretty much passed Januzaj by outside the first 15 odd minutes where he still did nothing much of note. Overall I think if they continue to play this way the fluidity will come and the sky is the limit when that happens. At least Fellaini will show all the idiots laughing at him that he's one of the best midfielders in the league.

No
    Dont think they will. Traditionally the biggest bottlers in the PL.

Yes they still are. Good old Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I saw Rooney's goal, brilliant

City and Liverpool coming to OT after the CL game, big few weeks ahead, we've nothing to lose at this stage so we're better off just going for it in every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

No
    Felexicon wrote: »
    5th just got a bit more likely. Norwich 1-0 up

I'm actually quite disappointed by this.
    At the end of the day 5th and 6th are the same to me, I would much rather see Spurs making the 4th place spot over liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I'm actually quite disappointed by this.
    At the end of the day 5th and 6th are the same to me, I would much rather see Spurs making the 4th place spot over liverpool.

Do MU really want to play in the Europa League next season and all the Thursday matches that entails?

Part of the reason for Liverpool's successful season is the fact that they've no midweek matches - especially on a Thursday in the EL.

If fourth is not looking likely (and it isn't) then, paradoxically, 5th or 6th could be worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No
    Europa league could be a nightmare next season,Sherwood said earlier the travelling for it is the worst.
    Hardly get away withnrge U21'S playing it would we?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    dahat wrote: »
    Europa league could be a nightmare next season,Sherwood said earlier the travelling for it is the worst.
    Hardly get away withnrge U21'S playing it would we?

Was thinking the same thing. If we are in it we send the reserves

• Advertisement

The 2015 Europa League winners will qualify for the following season's Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The 2015 Europa League winners will qualify for the following season's Champions League.

A nice carrot in fairness. Hard not to take it seriously then especially once you get to the knock out stages. The group stage before Christmas though is a pain in the hoop.

No
    Spurs have dropped a load of points the weekend after Europa game. Be honest I rather take my chances in league then hope to win EL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    Fluck sake, a man city advert just appeared here on the touch site

Grrrrr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

No

Part of the reason for Liverpool's successful season is the fact that they've no midweek matches - especially on a Thursday in the EL.

Grasping at straws now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Grasping at straws now

He's not a United fan or even a fan of any EPL team as far as I can gather so he's not grasping at anything. He is right though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hococop wrote: »
    If we are in it we send the reserves

Doesn't anyone for a minute think we'll do this? Of course not, it's silly.

If we're in the Europa League next season then we will take it seriously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Honestly, I think it could be a chance for a manager to build up his win records, and realistically could be a winnable trophy, even playing our second string team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

No
    I disagree with the attitude that the Europa League should be dismissed. Its still a trophy to compete for, and given the size of United's squad, it shouldn't prove too much of a hindrance. Realistically, fifth is the highest United can finish now, but I think sixth could be enough to get European football next season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

No
    In my opinion, we should definitely be looking to get into the Europa League.

The squad is well used to balancing competitions and tight schedules as it is. It's not as if they'd be travelling to the other side of Europe and back on horseback every fortnight. They're well looked after. The current squad is big enough to keep everyone fit and getting games, and that's without taking summer signings into account. We regularly bemoan Kagawa and Mata not playing in the middle, Jones and Smalling not in CB etc. Without Europe we'll have a pile of squad players sitting around waiting for an injury before they can get a chance.

Given the disaster this year has been, Moyes needs a trophy next season. The EL offers him a competition that the club has never won and would still be seen as an achievement given the handful of other strong teams that are in it. The fact it offers us a route into the CL and gives some kind of help in preserving our seeding is a bonus in my eyes.

If this season has thought us anything it's that we're not the powerhouse of modern football that we thought we were. If we can't make top four while playing in the Europa then we certainly won't be competing for the CL and the title any time soon. We didn't see Juve throwing out reserves last Thursday and they're doing fine tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I disagree with the attitude that the Europa League should be dismissed. Its still a trophy to compete for, and given the size of United's squad, it shouldn't prove too much of a hindrance. Realistically, fifth is the highest United can finish now, but I think sixth could be enough to get European football next season

I wasn't dismissing the Europa League as a tournament.

FWIW I think the EL is a great tournament and I do watch it in some form every Thursday it is on. Chelsea had a great attitude to it last season - they found themselves out of the CL and took on an attitude of "Let's go and win this"

My point is that MU are at a defining moment. Moyes can be forgiven for missing out on the CL next season but there cannot be a second season in a row without CL football and/or a title challenge for a club of United's stature and reputation. The Glazers will tell him as much.

So being pragmatic about it United would probably be better off not being in Europe at all next season if they don't make 4th.

Do you really want MU to have, say, an away game to Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk on a Thursday night . . . three days before an away game to Chelsea (for instance)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

No
    I wasn't dismissing the Europa League as a tournament.

FWIW I think the EL is a great tournament and I do watch it in some form every Thursday it is on. Chelsea had a great attitude to it last season - they found themselves out of the CL and took on an attitude of "Let's go and win this"

My point is that MU are at a defining moment. Moyes can be forgiven for missing out on the CL next season but there cannot be a second season in a row without CL football and/or a title challenge for a club of United's stature and reputation. The Glazers will tell him as much.

So being pragmatic about it United would probably be better off not being in Europe at all next season if they don't make 4th.

Do you really want MU to have, say, an away game to Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk on a Thursday night . . . three days before an away game to Chelsea (for instance)?

My answer to that is yes, I believe that United have a big enough squad to handle a race for fourth/ title challenge, and compete in Europe. I do take your point though, and of course, the league is much more important, but I don't think the EL could be that much of a distraction.

Being very optimistic for a second and assuming a big improvement in United's fortunes, would you prefer United finish 2nd next season, but trophyless, or 4th and win Europa League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭mobydopy

We may have moved up to 6th spot but i think people have forgotten that everton still have a game in hand. So apart from tottenham screwing up, not much has changed in our hopes for 4th place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Honestly, I think it could be a chance for a manager to build up his win records, and realistically could be a winnable trophy, even playing our second string team.

You think you could win the Europa League with a second string team? Its a tougher competition than you think. Do you not remember Bilbao? If United were in it I'd imagine they would take it seriously, not full strength but not a second string team either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

United had scouts watching Carvahlo again,http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=461842

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    I know its a youtube video and can make anyone look decent but theres some serious quality from Powell here

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

I know its a youtube video and can make anyone look decent but theres some serious quality from Powell here

Looks class. Pity it's so hard for young players to get a start at Utd these days. Moyes would be very brave to take a chance on him given the pressure he will be under next season. That said I'd give Moyes more credit and be more patient with him if he was blooding young players instead of sticking with the tried and trusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Majestic turn around the 3:30 mark

Ah lads stop talking about catching Liverpool. We have blew that while back.

Yep.

There's simply far too many mistakes and shortfalls to make up for at this late stage of the season, and 4 points from 9 in the run of games vs Stoke, Fulham and Arsenal should have been the end of 4th place fantasies for even the most hopeful of fans. This really will be a season to write off. But there can be positives in 'write-off' situations, and it is up to Moyes and the team to see out the season on a high now.

Yesterday's match was a surprise for me. Moyes actually changed the tactics, quite noticeably. After numerous quotes from the man insisting he was doing it right and it was luck and decisions that were at fault and the team would keep playing the same way and get it right eventually, he actually fúcking changed it!

This alone would not be enough to give me hope, but the fact that the team played arguably the best football it has in months (wouldn't be too hard I know) with a lot more play focused through the middle, picking up 2 goals and a clean sheet in the process, well it was the best 'Man United day' I've had in far too long.

Finally Fellaini, fúcking finally! No the man was not anywhere near world-beater material, but he definitely showed glimpses of why he was brought to OT and the job he can do for us. I thought he was a breath of fresh air, looking at him break-up the opposing play and then move forward with the ball, creating and linking up our own attacks, the team have been starved of such a presence for too long. That chance he missed, yes I would say he was unfocused rather than unfortunate in missing, but his role in initially creating that chance was sublime and had he kept his composure and put the ball in the net, it would have been one to immediately rival Rosicky's vs Sunderland earlier in the day. Anyway, onwards and upwards for Fellaini. With no league game next weekend, he should get the nod to start in Europe Tuesday night.

Speaking of Europe, we are not winning the Champion's League!

No
    stankratz wrote: »
    Yep.

Agree with everything you say. Especially on Felaini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Someone above said something about not dismissing the Europa League, well I would. It would be a hindrance more than anything, way too many games, poor opposition, Thursday night football and the possibility of longer travelling distances. Also it kicks off in July doesn't it? But sure what can you do, it's not as if you can choose not to play in it.

I've gone from worrying about not getting 4th (it's gone) to worry about Liverpool actually winning the league. They are some run at the moment. Pool winning the league and us finnishing 5th would be grim.

I suppose winning the Champions League would help. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

stankratz wrote: »
    Yep.

Good post.

No
    Sprinter Sacre out of Cheltenham:eek::eek::eek:

Seriously though when will papers ever give up on this story

BhMWxcBIEAA-LUn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

No
    If Utd had some consistency til the end of the season I would say there is a glimmer of hope as Liverpool have been struggling a bit against the bottom teams and still have to play Utd,Chelsea and City,However I think they will hold their nerve and get fourth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I wouldn't be guaranteeing 4th, it's in Liverpool's hands but they really are there for the taking in games if their 'we know you'll score but we'll score more' method starts to go against them with the pressure is on in the remaining games, and some big teams still to play.

United should be playing with no fear now 7th 6th is all the same. We've nothing to lose whereas Liverpool have a lot to lose because missing CL would set them back and probably see Suarez leaving.

33 points to play for, the fans will appreciate it if we play risky football and go for it and lose some games than playing conservatively even though we've been sitting in 7th most of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wouldn't be guaranteeing 4th, it's in Liverpool's hands but they really are there for the taking in games if their 'we know you'll score but we'll score more' method starts to go against them with the pressure is on in the remaining games, and some big teams still to play.

United should be playing with no fear now 7th 6th is all the same. We've nothing to lose whereas Liverpool have a lot to lose because missing CL would set them back and probably see Suarez leaving.

33 points to play for, the fans will appreciate it if we play risky football and go for it and lose some games than playing conservatively even though we've been sitting in 7th most of the season.

Liverpool PPG 2.07, since Jan 1st 2.50 - to reach 75 points (my estimate of the max points needed to bag 4th) they need to average 1.72 PPG for the next 11 games

Utd PPG 1.67, since Jan 1st 1.38 - to reach 75 Utd need 2.72 PPG over the next 11 games - which include Liverpool, Man City, Everton, Southampton plus the extra stresses of your CL campaign however long that may last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

United wont be getting 4th, thats pretty much assured at this stage, but a strong finish to the season would go some way to restoring some faith in Moyes among some of the fans, some are still with him anyway, some will never be with him, but a progressive style of play and a strong finish would help his cause for obvious reasons.

This season is a failure regardless now, all we can hope for is a good finish to being some positive momentum going into next year, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

kryogen wrote: »
    United wont be getting 4th, thats pretty much assured at this stage, but a strong finish to the season would go some way to restoring some faith in Moyes among some of the fans, some are still with him anyway, some will never be with him, but a progressive style of play and a strong finish would help his cause for obvious reasons.

This season is a failure regardless now, all we can hope for is a good finish to being some positive momentum going into next year, hopefully.
    Only one thing for it - go out and win the Champions League and become a managerial hero at United this season... its easy as that ;)

irishfeen wrote: »
    Only one thing for it - go out and win the Champions League and become a managerial hero at United this season... its easy as that ;)

I guess the nice way to say it would be, Im not overly confident we will see off Olympiakos never mind Bayern/Barca/Chelsea/Madrid :)

I guess the nice way to say it would be, Im not overly confident we will see off Olympiakos never mind Bayern/Barca/Chelsea/Madrid :)
    Aye ha i'm not too confident myself as of yet but the usual thing that happens is i'll have myself convinced come kick off that we're brilliant again :)

• Advertisement

No
    2 things in our favour if you're glass half full type

1. If we have crucial CL match we can now rest players weekend before. I dont think we will get beyond QF if we even get that far, but its a bonus compared to when going for the league and playing out strongest team on a Saturday and then midweek.

2. We can play without pressure now. League is long gone, but so too now is CL. We should go into games more comfortable and maybe express ourselves more now.

2 things in our favour if you're glass half full type

1. If we have crucial CL match we can now rest players weekend before. I dont think we will get beyond QF if we even get that far, but its a bonus compared to when going for the league and playing out strongest team on a Saturday and then midweek.

2. We can play without pressure now. League is long gone, but so too now is CL. We should go into games more comfortable and maybe express ourselves more now.

image.png

... :) like that optimism by the way Kew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

No
    It's grand. We'l finish 9th, Pool in 4th. We'll scrape past Olympiacos in ET. We'll draw PSG, Ibra will get sent off for clattering Cleverly in the 2nd leg, Fellaini will get the winner, 1-0 agg. Chelsea in the semi, lose 2-0 at the Bridge but Rooney will pop in a hatrick of 30 yarders in the 2nd leg. Real in the final, Fellaini will injure Bale early on, Ronaldo will be an emotional wreck. Rooney scores 2. Mata seals a 3-1 win in injury time. We get CL next season. Pool cry into the Europa League trophy.

Worth a euro surely...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

No
    WallyGUFC wrote: »
    It's grand. We'l finish 9th, Pool in 4th. We'll scrape past Olympiacos in ET. We'll draw PSG, Ibra will get sent off for clattering Cleverly in the 2nd leg, Fellaini will get the winner, 1-0 agg. Chelsea in the semi, lose 2-0 at the Bridge but Rooney will pop in a hatrick of 30 yarders in the 2nd leg. Real in the final, Fellaini will injure Bale early on, Ronaldo will be an emotional wreck. Rooney scores 2. Mata seals a 3-1 win in injury time. We get CL next season. Pool cry into the Europa League trophy.

Worth a euro surely...

You had me until here. Mata's cup-tied. Now I'm beginning to think you're making it up.

No
    image.png

... :) like that optimism by the way Kew.

I did state here while back that if we somehow win CL ill be in me jocks singing Ashley Youngs name from one part of Dublin to the other.

Cant remember precisely. I will throw it up if it happens but I dont think I will have to worry.:pac:

Bayern for me.

I did state here while back that if we somehow win CL ill be in me jocks singing Ashley Youngs name from one part of Dublin to the other.

Cant remember precisely. I will throw it up if it happens but I dont think I will have to worry.:pac:

Bayern for me.
    Yeah, not a pretty sight I'm guessing :) .... Bayern or Real for me.

• Advertisement

Im not sure this has been covered yet lads, is Mata available for Champions League?

No
    Yeah, not a pretty sight I'm guessing :) .... Bayern or Real for me.

4148830036_tumblr_lmlwttWudc1qzwnso_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

No
    Im not sure this has been covered yet lads, is Mata available for Champions League?

Dont think he can. Aint he cup tied?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No

Nearly sure he is cup tied

Sorry lads :)

900x900px-LL-658002b7_joke_over_your_head.jpeg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement