Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

So does Evra have the option of another year? Martin Tyler said on Saturday that he had triggered a clause in his contract due to the amount of games he has played this season.

Correct AFAIK. United have to offer him a new contract based closely to his current one, but I don't think it'll make much difference to him. He wants a move back to Monaco. Think Moyes convinced him last summer to give it one more year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Ben Davies from Swansea? 20, Good young player, possibly for less than £10M. Daley Blind from Ajax? 23, regular Dutch international.

I actually do like Davies but I don't know if he is United standard. Haven't seen too much of Blind.

If we haven't signed someone before the WC, I really hope we don't sign someone that is unknown and unproven that just happens to have a good WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    Franz Beckenbauer has told Bayern Munich contract rebel Toni Kroos not to “overplay his hand” and warned the club will not be held to ransom by the 24-year-old midfielder.

Kroos’ current deal expires in June 2015 and the Germany international has yet to agree terms on extending his stay with the European champions.

The club's youth product displayed his immense talent with a wonderful display in Bayern’s 2-0 Champions League win at Arsenal last week but that has not altered the club’s stance, according to honorary president Beckenbauer.

He told Sky: “You have to make a decision as a club when someone's demands are going through the roof. There is not a single player who's worth changing your entire wage structure for.

"Nobody's indispensable. If the player wants to stay at Bayern, I can only advise him not to overplay his hand."

Bayern sporting director Matthias Sammer was less forthright when asked about Kroos, who has been linked with Manchester United.

"Toni has a contract until the summer of 2015 and he will not be going anywhere before then," he said to Bild.

"And we are determined to make sure he will stay at Bayern beyond the expiry date of his current deal.

"We really value Toni and have shown so more than once."

Kroos has made 35 appearances in all competitions for Bayern so far this term, scoring twice in the process.

Seems they won't overpay, is it worth a bid in the summer or is it a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

I think Kroos wants to go, wants a new challenge after winning everything possible with Bayern. There something like 20 points clear of Leverkusen in the league and that isn't going to change with Bayern snapping up all the best talent from there rivals. The league isnt competitive like the Premier League is. There is a realistic chance of getting him

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

bren2001 wrote: »
    Squad size is obviously a big issue for those clubs. But there is more to it than that.

I travelled with the Ireland team to Estonia for Euro 2012 play offs and I was absolutely wrecked. The Europa league has a lot of eastern european teams with huge travelling times involved. That is the killer of it. Regardless of who we play, most of the squad will still have to travel and it takes it out of anybody.

Not sure RVP, Mata and the lads will be having the 20 pints you had though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He would be a great buy but Kroos wont solve the midfield problem on his own. Very tidy passer and he likes a shot.....but he isn't the quickest. He isn't going to break his bollox to win the ball back or track a midfield runner.

You still need a Keane/Viera type. Fletcher in his pomp filled that role pretty well but at the moment, nobody at United can do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I think Kroos wants to go, wants a new challenge after winning everything possible with Bayern. There something like 20 points clear of Leverkusen in the league and that isn't going to change with Bayern snapping up all the best talent from there rivals. The league isnt competitive like the Premier League is. There is a realistic chance of getting him

Seems like Moyes met his representatives when Bayern played Arsenal.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/manchester-united-manager-personally-meets-agents-of-german-midfi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I really hope evra stays another season, still one of the best attacking left backs in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    bangkok wrote: »
    I really hope evra stays another season, still one of the best attacking left backs in the world

You left the bit out about his defending........which is kind of important for defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No

Have you watched our last ten games? He has been shocking bad

There are about a dozen full backs better than him in the premier league alone. He's well past his best.

Have you watched our last ten games? He has been shocking bad

I have watched every single united games for the last 20 years. His defending has not been the best but he is still probably our no1 chance creator from defence/midfield. and in the last 10 games he has had either young, kagawa or januzaj playing in front of him....none of them are known for tracking back and helping out. he will be badly missed when he is gone

Kirby wrote: »
    There are about a dozen full backs better than him in the premier league alone. He's well past his best.

a dozen better left backs in the prem league??!!!! name them

I'd rather not go down that route. I'd name them and then you would feel the need to quote half of them with some sort of "L0lz! roflc0pter he is terribad!" response and we would go round in circles.

I think even the most ardent United fans recognise Evra is a weakness in defence and could do with replacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

No
    I wonder will kagawa come in for mata on Tuesday or will United play an extra body in midfield instead , I can see fellaini carrick and fletcher all starting with Rooney januzai and Rvp up front , sure hope young or Valencia don't start

I'd rather not go down that route. I'd name them and then you would feel the need to quote half of them with some sort of "L0lz! roflc0pter he is terribad!" response and we would go round in circles.

I think even the most ardent United fans recognise Evra is a weakness in defence and could do with replacing.

because they don't exist... he is still one of the best left backs in England. Fabio contraeo isn't a patch on him and luke shaw is another over rated English player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

No
    That's been one of our biggest issues too this year - Evra's form and trying to play guys at RB that aren't good enough on the ball when Rafael wasn't available.

The way modern football is, the LB and RB are more important than ever before. Evra has been dire with his distribution this season (and most of last) - I actually found myself shouting at the TV Saturday when he'd burst down the line and attempt a cross which would inevitably end up in the stand behind the goal.

A RB and LB are needed in summer, even if the RB is just backup or pushing Rafael for a place. I'd love to see Coleman come in. Decent left backs are a little harder to come by and that's mostly the reason Shaw's premium is so high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Oh bugger. Just realized I'll miss the match tomorrow. Have tickets to The Panel Reunion show in Vicar street.

Think it's the first match I've missed all season :(

You poor man, I was delighted when I saw The Panel Reunion show on Ticketmaster a few months ago and was all ready to book it but I checked the fixture list as I always do when booking a gig or event and saw the game was on...needless to say the girlfriend was not impressed! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

I wonder will kagawa come in for mata on Tuesday or will United play an extra body in midfield instead , I can see fellaini carrick and fletcher all starting with Rooney januzai and Rvp up front , sure hope young or Valencia don't start

Kagawa's days are numbered, most likely be gone in the summer. Moyes doesnt fancy him. Can see Valencia coming in for Mata to add a bit of pace to the team.

• Advertisement

That's been one of our biggest issues too this year - Evra's form and trying to play guys at RB that aren't good enough on the ball when Rafael wasn't available.

The way modern football is, the LB and RB are more important than ever before. Evra has been dire with his distribution this season (and most of last) - I actually found myself shouting at the TV Saturday when he'd burst down the line and attempt a cross which would inevitably end up in the stand behind the goal.

A RB and LB are needed in summer, even if the RB is just backup or pushing Rafael for a place. I'd love to see Coleman come in. Decent left backs are a little harder to come by and that's mostly the reason Shaw's premium is so high.

correct me if im wrong but does evra not have 5 assists this season in the league? 6 assists last season?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No
    Evra is a grand man for getting up the pitch, not so great at getting back into position though these days. Thats his problem and thats why its time for him to go.

Keeping him would be an absolute guarantee of leaking goals down his side next season.

No

Gibbs, Kolarov, Clichy, Shaw, Baines, Azpilicueta, Cole, Davies.. and that's just off the top of my head.

correct me if im wrong but does evra not have 5 assists this season in the league? 6 assists last season?

Even a blind squirrel eventually finds a nut. If you dump enough balls into the stands or to opposition players, the law of averages dictates eventually you will get one right. And I believe winning penalties and free kicks count as an assist so that stat is massaged a bit anyway.
    Gibbs, Kolarov, Clichy, Shaw, Baines, Azpilicueta, Cole, Davies.. and that's just off the top of my head.

Don't bother man.

No

I was waiting for the assists stat. He assisted for Rooneys goal last weekend.. which involved smashing the ball off a defender looking for a corner and the ball being deflected to Rooney who pinged it. He hardly put it on a plate for him.

Just because they're important on Fantasy Football, they don't tell the overall tale. Chance creation, cross completion etc more important. And of course defensively, he leaves a lot to be desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

He would be a great buy but Kroos wont solve the midfield problem on his own. Very tidy passer and he likes a shot.....but he isn't the quickest. He isn't going to break his bollox to win the ball back or track a midfield runner.

You still need a Keane/Viera type. Fletcher in his pomp filled that role pretty well but at the moment, nobody at United can do it.

Crikey and here was me thinking thats what carrick does??? is Kroos not the forward minded player we wanted in the 2 of a 4-2-3-1 with carrick, Fellaini, Fletch being the defensive minded player...Is the suggested Kroos or an other signing not as the guy who's going to link midfield and attack and push on forward.
    I see your point Kirby and is that not why we were being linked to trying to bring back Pogba as well.
    Unfortunately the days of Keane and Vieria in there pomp is gone. i.e tough tackling etc. The game today is based more around being tactically aware getting into the positiion to intercept the ball rather than having to win it in the tackle. This is something Carrick is very adept at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

the law of averages dictates eventually you will get one right.

No it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Cissokho..

No
    brinty wrote: »
    Unfortunately the days of Keane and Vieria in there pomp is gone. i.e tough tackling etc. The game today is based more around being tactically aware getting into the positiion to intercept the ball rather than having to win it in the tackle. This is something Carrick is very adept at

Agree with this. The one thing that would worry me about Carrick in the coming years is that the new type of midfielders out there at a high level tend to be able to go past players or play in tight situations high up the field. Carrick prefers to have the game in front of him and very rarely dribbles toward goal.

That said Alonso is doing much the same job at Real so maybe its just who he plays beside that may be the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    djPSB wrote: »
    Cissokho..

Is he even a footballer?

Looks like he turned up to work in the canteen and picked up a training bib instead of an apron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    I have watched every single united games for the last 20 years.

I find that very hard to believe.

just to set the record straight, has any player for man utd this season created more chances that evra??

adox wrote: »

how? not that hard not to miss a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

No

It is when you are talking about before Sky and internet streaming.. Unless of course you have attended every game that was not on the TV.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We need a replacement for Evra whether he stays or goes, I think he would be best played as a winger at this stage, rather than a left back. He is very good in attack, and arguably better than some of our other wingers.
    Evra did say he played as striker at one stage of his career, so he is versatile and we can't depend on him to defend, which is kind of important for an attacking defender....

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »

So true, even with internet, BT sports, Sky and Setanta, it is possible to not see all the games even recorded, due to life...

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

It's impossible.

I am sure we will be surprised.

That said CNN had a surprise stat for United on their soccer half hour program. United score more goals in Europe and concede less goals than in the league and they even went to say with their stats their best chance of CL next year is by winning the CL, though we kind of know that at this stage. Liverpool look too far away right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I don't think anyone posted it here, but was reading on another forum someone who pasted some post match comments from Moyes after the palace game. (Or maybe did he do a pre CL conference today)

Mentioned how they have been working on having a front four that interchanges and is fluid. Hard to mark and pickup, but all four move into different positions and receive the ball, and that it's not rigid or static. Feels that having a solid two CM's provides the base for this.

First indication or mention I've seen of Moyes explaining what he wants to do longterm, saw some evidence of that at Selhurst, and I think there is alot of support for it, considering the amount of people including myself that have mentioned 4-2-3-1. I think he maybe feels Fellaini is a key to that whole thing working.

Positive stuff, hopefully the stuff we saw the last while was improvisation with the squad members available. I never believed crossing etc. was the endgame, but from reading those quotes it's mighty encouraging and the first sort of indication publicly of what Moyes wants to do. I think we can agree we would be happy enough with that idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

TheDoc wrote: »
    I don't think anyone posted it here, but was reading on another forum someone who pasted some post match comments from Moyes after the palace game. (Or maybe did he do a pre CL conference today)

Mentioned how they have been working on having a front four that interchanges and is fluid. Hard to mark and pickup, but all four move into different positions and receive the ball, and that it's not rigid or static. Feels that having a solid two CM's provides the base for this.

First indication or mention I've seen of Moyes explaining what he wants to do longterm, saw some evidence of that at Selhurst, and I think there is alot of support for it, considering the amount of people including myself that have mentioned 4-2-3-1. I think he maybe feels Fellaini is a key to that whole thing working.

Positive stuff, hopefully the stuff we saw the last while was improvisation with the squad members available. I never believed crossing etc. was the endgame, but from reading those quotes it's mighty encouraging and the first sort of indication publicly of what Moyes wants to do. I think we can agree we would be happy enough with that idea?

I suspected that that is what he wanted to do long term, but it's difficult to see evidence of it yet. The three best options in CM are all "solid base" like options, that aren't going to offer a hat full of creativity or score a lot of goals.

The key to that sort of system is to have flexible options in the forward positions. I'd say Mata is definitely part of that, obviously he is comfortable on the right, left, or center. I don't think he'd spend 37 million on him and have him exclusively stick to one position out wide. A player as creative as that has to be given license to roam, or to be interchangeable at very least. I assume that as a base position, Mata will be an inside-left, or inside-right player, free to interchange (a bit like Pienaar did successful at Everton). We've seen that a bit already.

I think getting his own two full backs, and how they link with Mata, Kagawa, Januzaj, will be key to Moyes long term success (or otherwise).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    just to set the record straight, has any player for man utd this season created more chances that evra??

Id guess Rooney

EDit:cant link it from work but a twitter account has Rooney at the most

Why yes

chances-created.png

Now that's not fair. You aren't allowed to use facts and logic. Only fanboyism and hyperbole is permitted! :p

No
    Now that's not fair. You aren't allowed to use facts and logic. Only fanboyism and hyperbole is permitted! :p

Ignore that post I never checked the date :pac:

But the date or year doesn't matter! :D Faaachhts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    If Moyes wants a solid CM pairing to provide the base for the freedom afford to a roaming front four - do players like Fabregas (last summer) and Kroos (next summer, maybe) fit with that?

I think both are excellent CMs, but if they are restricted to protecting the defence and passing forward, their performance will be very limited/hampered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Hi lads, a mate of mine has just started a massive blog going though the history of United all the way from its inception right through to a season by season guide of every season from 1895-1896 onwards. He's got the overview and the first three blog updates complete and it's a bit of a must read for anyone interesting in United history.

http://www.unitedreds.net/xfa-blog-entry/the-history-of-manchester-united-overview.2/
    http://www.unitedreds.net/xfa-blog-entry/update-1-united-teams-through-the-ages-newton-heath-1878-1893.3/
    http://www.unitedreds.net/xfa-blog-entry/update-2-united-teams-through-the-ages-newton-heath-1894-1895.7/
    http://www.unitedreds.net/xfa-blog-entry/update-3-united-teams-through-the-ages-newton-heath-1895-1896.9/

Here's the opening paragraph.

The Early Years: 1878 - 1939

The story of Manchester United begins in 1878 when employees of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company's Carriage and Wagon Works requested permission and sponsorship from their employers to start a football team. Permission was given, and Newton Heath LYR (which stood for "Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway") was born, playing at a pitch on North Road.

Initially they played against other teams of railway workers, within their own company and against teams from other companies, but in 1885, they entered in the Manchester Cup competition and reached the final. The next year, they won the competition.

No
    Rooney has created 60 chances for united this season the most of any united player- average 2.5 per match

There ye go lads :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    The positivity from the players was good on Saturday. Like to see it in place 4-5 games though before get hopes up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The positivity from the players was good on Saturday. Like to see it in place 4-5 games though before get hopes up

This Olympiakos game will tell a lot. They may be a poor team on a Euro scale but it's the kind of slip up we've been making this season. A decent run of wins before the Liverpool game is all we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No
    Missed the match on Saturday but was able to download and watch it last night.

Maybe it was because I didn't have the nerves by knowing the result, but I thought Saturday's performance was a world away from the Fulham game. It was pass, pass, pass, instead of cross, cross, cross, and for the first time in... Eh... A long time, there was a purpose about our build up play. This is because Valencia, and to a lesser extent, Young, were not on the pitch. By having only 1 winger on the pitch in Januzaj, the attacking 4 had to keeping coming and showing for the ball, and finally in Carrick and Fellaini we had a duo capable of taking a pass from the back 4, turning, and passing it on.

We have to abandon our wingers. We need to put our best players out there and Valencia and Young just are not going to cut it. I would love to see Kagawa come in and get some action with Carrick and Fellaini behind him and RVP and Rooney in front of him.

Much better, but the fear is next week we go back to a rigid 4-4-2 with wingers and go back to the absolute crap we have been seeing over the last few months.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement