Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

No
    I love when people come in and say the manager is playing the "wrong" formation and they know the best one.

It proves how easy it is to be a professional football manager and that we likely have many in our midst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I love when people come in and say the manager is playing the "wrong" formation and they know the best one.

It proves how easy it is to be a professional football manager and that we likely have many in our midst.

Lol what tripe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

No
    Red Crow wrote: »
    Lol what tripe
    I know, yet they persist with posting it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Olympiakos could cause us a lot of problems, the only way they attack is down the wings and long shots, two things we've had major problems with this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Bad form by any standards.
    1798564_10152075515664279_1673650010_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Bad form by any standards.
    1798564_10152075515664279_1673650010_n.jpg
    Not arguing our poor form or anything but stuff like that just pisses me off.
    It shows a defeat and a draw in the league cup instead of a defeat and a win. Just to make it look even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Not going to get into stat bashing and that rubbish, but you linked the mail :rolleyes:

Yeah, linking the Mail is bad. There was a ranking list widely reported recently but I can't find any good links to that now.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Wellbeck has a roughly 25% conversion rate, when you take he has scored 8 times for 35 attempts.

Weigh that up against the strikers for the top 5 teams, he is pretty low on the list. But I accept there is arguments there that others are playing more etc. etc.

For a laugh, check out Chelsea strikers :D

Actually he is right in the middle of the list and ahead of RvP and Rooney.
    Looking at the premierleague.com numbers for this season, conversion rates in descending order for the top 5 clubs and United:

Aguero: 26 goals, 87 shots, shot conversion 29.9%
    Negredo: 23 goals, 77 shots, shot conversion 29.9%
    Sturridge: goals 17, shots 59, shot conversion 28.8%
    Hazaard: 10 goals, 38 shots, shot conversion 26.3%
    Torres: 7 goals, 27 shots, shot conversion 25.9%
    Welbeck: goals 9, shots 35, shot conversion 25.7%
    Suarez: goals 23, shots 92, shot conversion 25%
    Van Persie: goals 10, shots 41, shot conversion 24.3%
    Giroud: 13 goals, 65 shots, shot conversion 20%
    Lukaku: 9 goals, 46 shots, shot conversion 19.6%
    Rooney: goals 11, shots 69, shot conversion 15.9%
    Eto'o: 8 goals, 46 shots, shot conversion 14.4%

I think it's time for you to admit that Welbeck's scoring record this season is good. Whatever else you think about him, he has been scoring a lot of goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Rio Ferdinand mouthing off about team selection on Twitter, should know better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No

what's he saying?

can get twitter at minute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Quotes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

No

seriously, what is he playing at

what's he saying?

can get twitter at minute.

Shag all from what I see so just asked for some quotes, maybe they were deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No

No he's not, read his tweets again

No he's not, read his tweets again

Are you sure they were not deleted or something, it wouldn't be like all white to sensationalise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    Do you mean these?
    @qpepuccino: @rioferdy5 good luck for the next match,I hope u give the best performance” > who told u I'm playing? Team not announced yet
    Whenever we find out we are playing let's be honest guys....here is not where we'd be talking about it!
    Because thats very tame in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    From what I can see a fan has wished him well for the next game and he's answered saying "who says I'm playing" and if he was he wouldn't have it on twitter, someone else called his answer harsh and he says he's just telling it like it is.

Why he felt the need to answer a tweet about team selectiom i dont know, he must get thousands of tweets each day about various things & he picks that one to answer. This is the guy who said on BT 2 months ago that he never knows when hes playing cause Moyes doesnt give the team out like Fergie did so it effects his match preperation. His days are numbered at United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Those tweets are nothing, unfortunately.

I'm all for mutiny at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    J. Marston wrote: »

Im convinced the senior players arent happy, especially Evra. Hard to see one of the best LB's in the world at one stage has degraded this much. Somthing up there imo

J. Marston wrote: »

Im not, im a fan of Moyes but if you a player and you dont know if your playing at the weekend, could that possibly effect your performance like Rio suggested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Hey lads/ladies. Just a quick one. I have the October, November and December edition of UWS here if any of you would like them.

A fella I know is involved at the mag and I got him to send me these as two of them have the Woodward exclusive interview and I wanted to see what his plans are for you.

Plus I also wanted to see how obsessed you lot are about us (Liverpool). Turns out not to much ;)

Anyway I have read the mags and am happy that Woodward is going to play a part in your destruction ;) so I would like to pass them on to one of you lot, so if anyone wants them, just let me know and I'll post them to you or meet in Dub City. First come etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Bfp6hQsCQAA9NMe.png:large

Valencia on the left...THE most right sided player in the known world!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Evra has been shít in fairness, not sure how much Moyes has to do with that, in fact Moyes had set up the team in a way Evra gets cover and he's still been shít

After the France mutiny, I hoped we'd never see that side to Evra at United, but if his form is in any way intentional it'll be good when he's shown the door in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Evra has been shít in fairness, not sure how much Moyes has to do with that, in fact Moyes had set up the team in a way Evra gets cover and he's still been shít

After the France mutiny, I hoped we'd never see that side to Evra at United, but if his form is in any way intentional it'll be good when he's shown the door in the summer.

Agree re.the France thing, and ive never been his biggest fan however Moyes hasn't helped himself wrt Evra with his obvious courting of various left backs. You wouldn't blame Evra for not being at 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    ericzeking wrote: »
    Agree re.the France thing, and ive never been his biggest fan however Moyes hasn't helped himself wrt Evra with his obvious courting of various left backs. You wouldn't blame Evra for not being at 100%

from what I was told, Evra wanted to leave in the summer and the courting of left backs was in response to that. He agreed to stay as we did not get a left back in.

If what I was told it true, our courting of left backs can be no reason for Evra's performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No
    What on earth does this even mean? Are you 12 years old? Do you think this is a discussion forum or a place to score childish internet points?

Says the boy pulling out ~10% of a post to give a snarky response to. Call the kettle black.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't really understand why I'm even having this conversation.

Because you misrepresented what another poster was saying and I called you on it.

Good stuff.
    Oh dear I lost credibility, my stars.

The point is - clearly - saying that Matic doesn't need a bedding in period after one and a half games implies that you have made a judgement based on that sample size that he has successfully bedded in already, or is so good that he doesn't need to bed in in the first place.

I imagine similar statements were made about David Luiz after his first couple of performances for Chelsea which were class before he, you know, ended up actually needing a good long time to bed in before he was actually any good on a consistent basis.

I don't really understand why I'm even having this conversation. Someone here has used ten games to make a judgement about one player and contrast it to another player based on a game and a half. If you are willing to nod along as though that comparison is anything other than garbage that's your own look out.

It's not the first season Evra played badly either.

No
    from what I was told, Evra wanted to leave in the summer and the courting of left backs was in response to that. He agreed to stay as we did not get a left back in.

If what I was told it true, our courting of left backs can be no reason for Evra's performances.

He's been clean useless for close to if not three full seasons in fairness. Couldn't believe the arguments I was having to have explaining that Baines was vastly superior during the summer.

No
    DM-ICE wrote: »
    It's not the first season Evra played badly either.

indeed - this season's form is just a continuation of the downward trajectory his defending has been on for the last couple of years. This season's form isn't a massive surprise. I had hoped he would recapture his form, and I didn't want Baines in the summer because of that hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    I thought Evra had a decent enough season last season, after being awful the season before and beyond useless so far this season.

As for the Rio twitter stuff, the mind boggles if people are actually reading anything into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Some very good points earlier in relation to Fellani. I think he will become a top class defensive midfielder for us. He has been average so far for us but so too has Carrick and Cleverly. Personally I think there would be more balance with Cleverly and Fellani in lieu of Carrick and Fellani. Carrick is just too slow and static when playing with Fellani. At least Cleverly has the energy to get up and down the pitch.

A lot of criticism has been directed at Cleverly when Carrick has been just as poor if not poorer imo

No
    adox wrote: »
    I thought Evra had a decent enough season last season, after being awful the season before and beyond useless so far this season.

As for the Rio twitter stuff, the mind boggles if people are actually reading anything into that.

Last season was a small improvement on the previous one but it was still pretty desperate, just that the season before he'd been dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

Back page of one of the tabloids is linking United with Tiote.That is up there with a deal for Townsend.Should be steered clear of at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    Last season was a small improvement on the previous one but it was still pretty desperate, just that the season before he'd been dreadful.

Possibly you are right and my judgement on him last season is clouded by a combination of his brutal form the season before and knowing what a good defender he was, hence an improvement leading me to believe he was on his way back to form.

Last season was definitely his strongest of the last three, not saying a lot I know, but I wouldn't have the three of them in a flatline as others would.

No
    adox wrote: »
    Possibly you are right and my judgement on him last season is clouded by a combination of his brutal form the season before and knowing what a good defender he was, hence an improvement leading me to believe he was on his way back to form.

Last season was definitely his strongest of the last three, not saying a lot I know, but I wouldn't have the three of them in a flatline as others would.

Everyone was hoping for a big improvement from him last year because he's been a great player in the EPL and I think we all bought it for a while but he really wasn't great. He got more involved going forward but his tracking back after and his general defending was still a good bit off.

I don't think he's any worse this year than he was the season before last. It's a shame really because he was very good at his best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

F.J. wrote: »
    Back page of one of the tabloids is linking United with Tiote.That is up there with a deal for Townsend.Should be steered clear of at all costs.

Made up nonsense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    Headshot wrote: »
    Im convinced the senior players arent happy, especially Evra. Hard to see one of the best LB's in the world at one stage has degraded this much. Somthing up there imo

Like what? Cas whatever it is he's been like this for 3 seasons (bar a mini purple patch last season)

Maybe he misses Mike Phelan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    I would bet you actually don't even disagree with my point.

Answer me this. Our options are a defender and a 40 year old. Why is Cleverley not an ever present?

And don't even think about spouting off about injury or squad rotation. You think if a Roy Keane or Paul Scholes were there they would ever be "rested" in the manner Tom Cleverley has?

Face facts, we have zero depth in midfield so Cleverley gets his chance. He plays crap until eventually even Moyes gives in and takes him out of the team. But then Giggs is also crap and so a few games later Cleverley gets back in and the circle goes round again. Its been the same all season.

There is no way a solid professional gets dropped the way Cleverley does, not with the state of our midfield. Look at Carrick for example, not world class by any means yet he plays every game when fit because he has to. But Cleverley will get dropped for Jones or Giggs. Says it all.

Carrick is first choice when he's been fit because he is the only properly defensive CM we have. Fellaini isn't reliable enough defensively to play alongside a forward thinking CM. Jones is okay, but not as good defending in midfield as Carrick. Fletcher isn't physically able to play the role or even play at all half the time. Carrick had also shown, before this season, that he was physically capable of playing 40 games a season, not all players are.

With Giggs and Jones there are two different things happening.

Giggs, when he has played instead of Cleverley, has mostly been used in CM in the smaller and/or easier games. This has everything to do with rotation, keeping the team fresh and covering for injuries. He started the Liverpool game in the League Cup, which came three days after the Man City game (coincidently, that also saw Carrick "dropped" as you would call it). He played the Everton midweek game which came three days after the Spurs game. He played the easier and less important CL games. He has definitely been covering for Cleverley rather than replacing him.

Jones is similar, except he has also played alongside Cleverley when Carrick has been injured and, more importantly for your argument, has been selected ahead of him in two big games - Arsenal and Chelsea. That was a purely defensive move from Moyes, who is an overly defensive manager. Holding those two games up as evidence that Cleverley isn't a solid professional is a weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

If I'm honest I wouldn't mind an upgrade at RB either. Rafael doesn't seem to be kicking on. He needs competition there.

No
    F.J. wrote: »

This is my worry for the summer - we'll have sat on our hands in January on some deluded assumption we will relatively easily pick up Gundogan/Kroos/Vidal etc, and then end up buying players like Tiote.

Tiote would improve us, cause basically anyone would, but he is the type of player we probably could have got in January, to aid a push for 4th spot and make it easier to get a world class player or two in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    If Tiote is in any shape or form a target for United then we're fooked.

I see Real are rumoured to want to sack Ancellotti if he doesn't win everything. We're like ying and yang. Moyes would have to get relegated apparently before that's considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

This is my worry for the summer - we'll have sat on our hands in January on some deluded assumption we will relatively easily pick up Gundogan/Kroos/Vidal etc, and then end up buying players like Tiote.

Tiote would improve us, cause basically anyone would, but he is the type of player we probably could have got in January, to aid a push for 4th spot and make it easier to get a world class player or two in the summer.

Mitch good to see you being positive as usual. I do agree with you totally though. I think the Mata deal covered a multitude along with Moyes making apperances all over Europe. Its led us into some belief that the summer is going to be unbelievable and we're going to sign all around us. I was watching SSN on Friday night and their Manchester United reporter was "promising all United fans a busy and exciting summer..

I remain to be convinced, I'm giving Moyes the summer transfer window to get the team sorted out or I'm taking up membership of the Moyes out club.

I would expect a number of players to retire, be sold not have contracts renewed etc and an infusion of new top class talent into the team. If that happens and it takes few months to get running i'd be ok with that and give Moyes the chance.

However if we end up sitting on our hands as you say and bring in players like Tiote then Moyes is done in my eyes.. Lets be honest in two windows he's managed to get 2 players in and blamed lack of knowledge and targets not being available for his failure to get more deals done. Well david you have til 31st of August, 2014 to remedy these problems and get it right, otherwise you can have no excuse if a P45 comes your way.

Ideally in the summer, Moyes needs to
    1. Add quality full backs and settle on a back 4
    2. Add strong and dominant CM's who can win back and get the ball to the attack
    3. Ship out all of the deadwood from the senior and U21's squads (and tbf he's been doing that recently)
    4. Settle on a gameplan, none of this defending crap....attack attack attack is the United way

No
    would not mind seeing Coleman come in.

No
    would not mind seeing Coleman come in.

With Everton probably wanting to fund deals for Barry and Lukaku in the Summer it might be possible to get him. But just have a feeling Everton are gonna be very stubborn if United come calling.
    They'll want big money for a player who we don't desperately need. Can't see it happening.

No
    GSPfan wrote: »
    With Everton probably wanting to fund deals for Barry and Lukaku in the Summer it might be possible to get him. But just have a feeling Everton are gonna be very stubborn if United come calling.
    They'll want big money for a player who we don't desperately need. Can't see it happening.

Considering the mess we made of trying to get Fellaini and Baines off them, I could see a move for Coleman being a nightmare.

As for Everton maybe needing cash - I don't think they spent much in the summer, but sold Jelevic, Anichibe and Fellaini for north of 40million in total, so could be ok for money next summer.

No
    GSPfan wrote: »

pretty much agree. excellent player imo.

can be a useful RW in future too. he does not have to be in competition with Rafa.

No
    can be a useful RW in future too.

We don't like wingers in here anymore. :). Antonio Valencia has single handedly turned us all against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

Considering the mess we made of trying to get Fellaini and Baines off them, I could see a move for Coleman being a nightmare.

As for Everton maybe needing cash - I don't think they spent much in the summer, but sold Jelevic, Anichibe and Fellaini for north of 40million in total, so could be ok for money next summer.

McCarthy 15 million
    Kone 7 million
    McGeady 2-3 million
    Robles 4 million
    Lukaku loan was supposedly 3.5 million

That 30 million-ish. Add in the huge wages that Barry takes/will take. I would imagine there is not much in the pot for Martinez to spend. It will be sell one to buy one. A decent offer for Coleman would get him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Our 18 year old savior is 19 today. Happy Birthday Januzaj.

No

Yeah I don't think they need cash but I'd imagine they are gonna have to pay close to £25 million for Lukaku (A lot, I know), and maybe 7 to 10 for Barry. That could be North of £30 million plus they really need another Striker.

I think it may be the only scenario I see them selling Coleman. But also still very unlikely we'd get Coleman for anything less than £20 million. His price has shot up again this season.

I actually can imagine Arsenal going for Coleman.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement