Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Red Crow wrote: »
    Change of tune so. Well done

What change of tune? I could name too many games we where better we where still playing poor though, Your trying to get a silly argument here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    Yes you are

2bp85f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Yes you are

2bp85f.jpg

I missed the post match interview. Did he actually say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Lawrenson is slaughtering RVP. Saying he has checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

collie0708 wrote: »
    Sth stand 3 rows from the pitch, sure I will have plenty spare next season so give me a shout anytime you are looking. I will give you all next seasons champions league tickets for free

Wow! Thanks for that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    A cowardly team selection and performance that got exactly what it deserved.

On another note, I am convinced that David Moyes is actually a goldfish. I think he just totally forgot that Cleverley and Valencia have been utter shlte all season, completely slipped his mind!!! :pac:

And you know whats worst? Come the next match Antonio Valencia is far more likely to start than Kagawa is. Thats the David Moyes way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    dubmick wrote: »
    Lawrenson is slaughtering RVP. Saying he has checked out.

I personally believe RVP feels let down big time from Fergie hence just not bothered at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

I just hope he's gone in the summer nothing else to add

I missed the post match interview. Did he actually say that?

No

Said he didnt expect that level of performace, didnt see it coming (of course, thats all well and good, except every time he has selected Young/Valencia/Cleverley/Rio etc that level of performance has been more or less where its at)

Said we were a little unlucky, the deflected goal but didnt do enough ourselves to create and score

That despite how poor the performance was he didnt think we were 2 goals worse

That was all I got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I'm honestly baffled by the selection... I was doing my training on the bike and heard the team on today fm and I hit a low, after looking forward to the game all day, I lost interest to a degree. Young did OK, but he and Valencia just totally change the dynamic of the team, instead of constructive play linked together with one-twos.. it just disappears down an alley when it gets to those 2.

We played half decent Saturday, why not just play the same team and swap Kags for Mata, like for like, same tactics, dominate possession and cruise through.

You're making it hard for me David, you really are.

That's not to mention we played with 4 defenders who were disinterested and mentally just not there. 3 are off, and Smalling has the concentration of a gold fish.

RVP also does not give a toss IMO, if he was sharp and at it, he buries that chance... hes missed a fair few of those this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

We dont have another match for nearly 2 weeks. Why rest Fellaini & Januzaj after winning at the weekend. Crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

No
    RVP's body language is all wrong, to be fair Ferguson must have told him he'd be there for a few years. Must be deflating having Moyes coming in off the back of his success last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

This is becoming tiresome.

Moyes ain't leaving. Many of the poor players will be. That's where things are at the moment.

United are not a club who will readily dismiss their manager like the majority of clubs in the Premier League.

All the Moyes criticism on internet forums and whatnot? The club doesn't care. Ferguson and Charlton don't care either.

So that's where things are.

If fans boycotted matches or launched some sort of vociferous campaign to oust him then the club would take notice. But they still wouldn't get rid of him. Most likely Ferguson would make a public statement urging fans to cease the campaign and back the manager and that would likely buy him more time.

But he WILL get time. Make no mistake about it.

So all these posts of 'Moyes out', 'he's destroying the club' etc. are about as effective as opening your front door and yelling at the clouds not to rain tomorrow.

The club has made it perfectly clear he will be backed, at least until this time next season or near enough to it, and regardless of whether United are in the Champions League or not.

He will be given time. And if fans can't take this then tbh stop supporting the club because this is the kind of club Man United are, and that is what Fergie made clear in his retirement speech at the end of last season and numerous times since.

My thoughts on the game tonight: bad result, but the tie's not dead. On to the next game.

That remains to be seen. Undoubtedly, the only thing keeping Moyes in a job now is Fergie. It is to his great fortune that the man who appointed him is in a position of great power at the club, and also famously reluctant to admit to making a mistake. That's the only reason Moyes will still have a job tomorrow. If it were Liverpool, Bayern, Barca, Milan, Juve or any other big club, he'd have been gone long ago.

That's not to say that Fergie's rule is absolute, though. In the next few weeks and months, there's a fascinating clash in prospect: between the 'tradition' of Man United, the presumed backing of Moyes from Fergie and Charlton, and on the other side, the realities of running a modern football club with huge debts and a financial model based on qualifying and progressing far into the Champions League season after season. If you're the Glazers, are you really going to confident in doubling-down on Moyes with €100 million+ in the summer? Are you confident in going head-to-head with Fergie in sacking his 'chosen one'?

Whichever way you slice it, this summer is massive for United. It has to be either a war chest for Moyes, or the appointment of a new manager. Either way is a risk, but I know what I'd go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No
    I'm sick of this ****ing **** , time for moyes to go and **** off , this is just not good enough , would bayern real or barca stand for thus ****e .

Real would have sacked him before Christmas. But that's why Real are the biggest and greatest club in the world - their standards are beyond compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

No
    kryogen wrote: »
    No

Said we were a little unlucky, the deflected goal

That goal wasn't a deflection he ment to flick it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No
    Headshot wrote: »
    I personally believe RVP feels let down big time from Fergie hence just not bothered at the moment

What's the story there? Wasn't there something about him being promised by Ferguson that he wasn't retiring or am I picking it up wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    More from Moyes: "I didn't see that performance coming. The one good thing is there's still a second game." #mufc

Strange that about 7 billion other people did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its time for the fans now to get Moyes out.

We have the most patience fans in the world. No other club in the world would put up with this.

While Liverpool were in slightly more precarious position earlier in the season, 12th on Dec 29th (though still in the EL) the supporters made it clear that Hodgson HAD to leave with chants and then empty seats (the home game to Wolves game which Liverpool lost). He was gone 12 days later, an ex manager came in and it was like night and day (even if KD would end up disappointing in the following season) the same players reacted as if a great weight had been lifted and turned in far better performances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

No
    What is the point in playing RVP when NOTHING goes to his feet?

No
    What's the story there? Wasn't there something about him being promised by Ferguson that he wasn't retiring or am I picking it up wrong?

RVP came to utd to win and be managed by the Fergie, one season later Fergie retires. Fergie even publicly acknowledged RVP would be disappointed to see him retire.

RVP must of feel slightly betrayed tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Singly the most crushing defeat for me supporting United, not a nice feeling at all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Is there any reason to keep Moyes? Even juat an interm manager for a few weeks wouls be worth a try. cant be much worse or do much more damage....

Rafa?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Have we beaten any team 3-0 at Old Trafford this season? Its very rare that a team turns around 2-0 1st leg loss. There is no belief in that squad so i dont give us a hope of turning it around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

No
    mosstin wrote: »
    Rafa?
    Heynckes? He's free...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

No
    its incredible how Moyes gets no criticism from the media
    how he is still in a job is also very strange

No
    MD1990 wrote: »
    its incredible how Moyes gets no criticism from the media
    how he is still in a job is also very strange

foreign manager wouldnt get away with it

No
    foreign manager wouldnt get away with it
    AVB must wish he was british

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

mike65 wrote: »
    While Liverpool were in slightly more precarious position earlier in the season, 12th on Dec 29th (though still in the EL) the supporters made it clear that Hodgson HAD to leave with chants and then empty seats (the home game to Wolves game which Liverpool lost). He was gone 12 days later, an ex manager came in and it was like night and day (even if KD would end up disappointing in the following season) the same players reacted as if a great weight had been lifted and turned in far better performances.

The 'pool fans were already disappointed that Hodgson was chosen ahead of Daglish as well. Who could Utd bring in who would have that impact? There aren't any legends who could lift the club right now bar Ferguson himself.

I'd back Moyes through these results if there were signs that he had a gameplan, like Rodgers, or Wenger, or Pellegrini, or Mourinho, or even Martinez. But there's no sign of that at all.

That said, the players aren't helping. He tried to play a 4-2-3-1 tonight but the pathetic play at the back ended up dragging the shape all over the place. Couldn't believe what I was seeing with Smalling and Ferdinand at times, they looked like two Sunday leaguers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

As **** as tonight was i'd still be confident of United doing them for 3/4 at OT. Olympiakos are pretty **** it will only take a half decent effort to get the two needed to tie the round

kona wrote: »
    That goal wasn't a deflection he ment to flick it.

He sure did, maybe you should text Moyes and inform him of his mistake?

• Advertisement

No
    AVB must wish he was british

Perspective please, AVB got overpowered by the big players at Chelski. Spurs are a nothing club compared to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Soups123 wrote: »
    As **** as tonight was i'd still be confident of United doing them for 3/4 at OT. Olympiakos are pretty **** it will only take a half decent effort to get the two needed to tie the round

Judging by recent games a half decent effort may be beyond us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

After the game against palace i thought there was some signs of life in the team so expected to see more or less the same team with maybe kagawa coming in for mata. Instead moyes rolls out the 2 pointless players in valencia and cleverley again. They add nothing to the team. Cleverley is afraid to get possession and valencia for got how to be an attacking winger a few years ago. If moyes' mentallity is to go to the weakest of the last 16's ground to contain, then he's worse than i thought(and i thought little of him before tonight). He could have sent out a team to get a couple of away goals and kill the tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

No
    This is becoming tiresome.

Moyes ain't leaving. Many of the poor players will be. That's where things are at the moment.

United are not a club who will readily dismiss their manager like the majority of clubs in the Premier League.

All the Moyes criticism on internet forums and whatnot? The club doesn't care. Ferguson and Charlton don't care either.

So that's where things are.

If fans boycotted matches or launched some sort of vociferous campaign to oust him then the club would take notice. But they still wouldn't get rid of him. Most likely Ferguson would make a public statement urging fans to cease the campaign and back the manager and that would likely buy him more time.

But he WILL get time. Make no mistake about it.

So all these posts of 'Moyes out', 'he's destroying the club' etc. are about as effective as opening your front door and yelling at the clouds not to rain tomorrow.

The club has made it perfectly clear he will be backed, at least until this time next season or near enough to it, and regardless of whether United are in the Champions League or not.

He will be given time. And if fans can't take this then tbh stop supporting the club because this is the kind of club Man United are, and that is what Fergie made clear in his retirement speech at the end of last season and numerous times since

My thoughts on the game tonight: bad result, but the tie's not dead. On to the next game.

I cannot stand this complete and utter bulls**t!

I'm not attacking you necessarily for posting this, just this mentality that is there among some fans and important people at the club.

It is ridiculous to think that we have to stand behind moyes and support him simple because he was who was selected to take over. Sven Goran Eriksson came out a few months ago and said he had agreed to be Fergie's successor back in 2003 when he first thought of retiring, but I think its clear to see based on his career since then that he would have been an awful manager for us. So if they so obviously made a wrong choice back then in picking him why is it so hard for some people to realise that they made a wrong choice this time around too?

Moyes has ruined this team, no questions about it, and I am sick of all this talk that we have to back him simple because he happens to be in charge. He has taken a team that won the league by 11 points to now trailing liverpool by 11 points in the space of 9 months.

Why does Moyes need/deserve so much time to get his team together when 4 of the 6 managers ahead of us in the league (Mourinho, Pelligrini, Martinez and Sherwood) are all also new to their jobs but none of them are performing with the incompetence that Moyes is?

The team selection followed by the result that it created are the latest straw for me, I am 100% on the "Moyes out" team now!

No
    nuxxx wrote: »
    Perspective please, AVB got overpowered by the big players at Chelski. Spurs are a nothing club compared to United.
    how by not picking them:confused:
    which resulted in the media getting on his back
    Spurs under AVB were ahead of Man Utd in the table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    OctavarIan wrote: »
    The 'pool fans were already disappointed that Hodgson was chosen ahead of Daglish as well. Who could Utd bring in who would have that impact? There aren't any legends who could lift the club right now bar Ferguson himself.

I'd back Moyes through these results if there were signs that he had a gameplan, like Rodgers, or Wenger, or Pellegrini, or Mourinho, or even Martinez. But there's no sign of that at all.

That said, the players aren't helping. He tried to play a 4-2-3-1 tonight but the pathetic play at the back ended up dragging the shape all over the place. Couldn't believe what I was seeing with Smalling and Ferdinand at times, they looked like two Sunday leaguers.

Jesus christ man, this is the second time I've said this to you, it was the most obvious 4-4-2 ever played. Don't even try claim it was a 4-2-3-1

No

That's exactly my point and the point of the previous poster.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

We play you's 3 days before the 2nd leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

No
    3-0 is not beyond ye with those players.

That's from a scouser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Carrick asked a very straight question, effectively Fergie gave you something that would get you out of this can the current manager do that. His eyes said no, he waffled on about Fergie not playing then said its up to the players. Never once mentioned Moyes. Think Moyes may have lost the dressing room.

The most frustrating thing for me about Lawrensons ****e is that some people will believe it, repeat it, and then it becomes some sort of pseudo accepted fact.

What exactly do people want from Robin? He has been putting them away since he has come back, he is basically on an island the whole time watching the rest of the team play the ball away from him or belt it at his head. Any striker, doesnt matter who it is, is going to struggle to score with every chance they get.

He got one tonight, he fluffed it on his weaker foot. It happens.

This season he has 19 starts, 22apps altogether, 14 goals and 3 assists. Hardly downed tools has he? Missed a **** load of games through injury too disrupting his season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

No
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    We play you's 3 days before the 2nd leg.

2 handy wins for Giggs in his first 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Watching the Carrick interview and it seemed like he has nothing against the manager

Strange that interviews by the players seem to always go with the "we are letting ourselves down on the pitch" theme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

No
    The Glaziers are money people, when the 1billion bottom line value drops to 700, 650 million they won't give a fcuck about Fergies feeling s, they will get rid of Moyes, can't see them giving him 200 million , just as well we were only in 4 competitions as he has screwed up everyone we were in. Moyes is proving to be a tactical dinosaur, doesn't say much about the pro licence !

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Elro

ebbsy wrote: »
    3-0 is not beyond ye with those players.

That's from a scouser.

It may however be beyond us with this manager.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Big Sam for manager!

His freezing out of players and refusal to adapt his tactics to his squad strength did for him tbh, how many times did he need to be shown he could employ his high line defence?

Moyes needs to start showing some capacity to adapt himself though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Ando Evra Rio Vidic Giggs and possibly Nani will go in the summer. Can £100m replace them to an acceptable standard of player and is Moyes the right man to do the re-build?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Well he knows where to go then. 24 touches of the ball in 90 minutes and we had 60% possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

kryogen wrote: »
    The most frustrating thing for me about Lawrensons ****e is that some people will believe it, repeat it, and then it becomes some sort of pseudo accepted fact.

What exactly do people want from Robin? He has been putting them away since he has come back, he is basically on an island the whole time watching the rest of the team play the ball away from him or belt it at his head. Any striker, doesnt matter who it is, is going to struggle to score with every chance they get.

He got one tonight, he fluffed it on his weaker foot. It happens.

This season he has 19 starts, 22apps altogether, 14 goals and 3 assists. Hardly downed tools has he? Missed a **** load of games through injury too disrupting his season

Lawro's a tool, and that's from a Liverpool fan, he has been rattling on about this subject, I think originally a few months ago he was saying RVP was not playing because he was sulking, not injured. He comes across as a sleezy cnut imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement