Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

No
    Wd need to take at least some positives out of the season as **** as it,s been.
    if they are knocked out of the cl, drop the lot of them and bring in the whole reserve side for the last 6 or 7 games.
    need to find something positive from the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Watching the Carrick interview and it seemed like he has nothing against the manager

Strange that interviews by the players seem to always go with the "we are letting ourselves down on the pitch" theme

They cannot blame the manager, for various reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

No
    Soups123 wrote: »
    As **** as tonight was i'd still be confident of United doing them for 3/4 at OT. Olympiakos are pretty **** it will only take a half decent effort to get the two needed to tie the round

Based on what exactly ! Think the only time we scored more than 2 all season was against Swansea match day 2 and even then we conceded 2 , open to correction here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

dubmick wrote: »
    Well he knows where to go then. 24 touches of the ball in 90 minutes and we had 60% possession.

And this is the CF's fault how exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Soups123 wrote: »
    As **** as tonight was i'd still be confident of United doing them for 3/4 at OT. Olympiakos are pretty **** it will only take a half decent effort to get the two needed to tie the round

Olympiakos aren't ****e though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    nuxxx wrote: »
    Perspective please, AVB got overpowered by the big players at Chelski. Spurs are a nothing club compared to United.

Perspective please, AVB was doing better than Moyes and still got sacked.
    ebbsy wrote: »
    3-0 is not beyond ye with those players.

3 goals in a game has been beyond these players for quite a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

kryogen wrote: »
    They cannot blame the manager, for various reasons.

He said they(the players) are getting justified criticism from every angle

Surely you can't sit and say stuff like that, and take the criticism if they know Moyes is the fundamental problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I get a brain numbing head rush on the way down on a rollercoaster but once the rest of my body catches up I'm good, and I'm ready for the trip back up. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    dubmick wrote: »
    Well he knows where to go then. 24 touches of the ball in 90 minutes and we had 60% possession.

Yeah, he should have been doing a Rooney and going back into midfield to get the ball himself.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

No
    secman wrote: »
    Based on what exactly ! Think the only time we scored more than 2 all season was against Swansea match day 2 and even then we conceded 2 , open to correction here.

It was matchday 1, we only conceeded once, but I do think it is one of only 2 games in the league where we scored more than twice. (away to Hull being the other occasion if im not mistaken)

We also scored more against Norwich (I think) in the Carling Cup and Leverkusen in Champions League

• Advertisement

He said they(the players) are getting justified criticism from every angle

Surely you can't sit and say stuff like that, and take the criticism if they know Moyes is the fundamental problem

As I said, they cannot blame Moyes publicly.

The players are getting justifiable criticism. They are not doing enough, Moyes is getting criticism, not widespread in the media, but in certain sections and he is being lambasted on message boards etc, and rightly so.

Not many in this story blameless tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Watching the Carrick interview and it seemed like he has nothing against the manager

Strange that interviews by the players seem to always go with the "we are letting ourselves down on the pitch" theme

I got the opposite, didn't exactly back him did he when asked if Moyes could inspire the players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

No
    He sure did, maybe you should text Moyes and inform him of his mistake?

He's probably unable to reply ,everytime he pushes a key he presses back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Realistically the team is awful - no matter who is in charge ... None of these players would make any other top (CL winning) team in Europe.

De Gea
    Smalling
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Carrick
    Cleverly
    Valenica
    Young
    Rooney
    Van Persie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

No
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Realistically the team is awful - no matter who is in charge ... None of these players would make any other top (CL winning) team in Europe.

De Gea
    Smalling
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Carrick
    Cleverly
    Valenica
    Young
    Rooney
    Van Persie

You forgot Evra, I'd cross off Carrick too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

OctavarIan wrote: »
    The 'pool fans were already disappointed that Hodgson was chosen ahead of Daglish as well. Who could Utd bring in who would have that impact? There aren't any legends who could lift the club right now bar Ferguson himself.

Its a problem - so many ex Utd players turned managers but I think they are all in work. Clearly the board won't sack Moyes for Rene Meulensteen even then and I suppose they will do nothing before the summer anyway - even if OT is completely empty bar the away support.

What the OT faithful HAVE to do though is make it clear they will not put up with the sh1t on a stick when at the games, not on phone ins or online where its is merely filling (cyber) space (where the board doesn't hear your screams).

Create a wave of visible anger and the board will react eventually, put up with it and Moyes is safe for longer than he deserves to be.

(not sure why I should be advising on tactics really! :p)

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    I got the opposite, didn't exactly back him did he when asked if Moyes could inspire the players?

Two things

Trying to shield the manager and not appear to be blaming him

Trying to protect their own egos by denying that Fergie made such a huge difference to performance. The players would find it tough to admit that surely? That they were made to look better then what they were by their manager.

If they were able to take the plaudits they have to be able to take the criticism you know.

To say they are struggling so badly now because they dont have Fergie to give them that something extra and drag them through it would be to also say that they only won all those trophies because of Fergie, that the players were just supporting characters in it rather then the main guys

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Could be the beginning of the end lads as the tone of the English media seems to have changed toward Moyes.

Most of tomorrow's papers going with damming headlines.

never good.

De Gea
    Smalling
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Carrick
    Cleverly
    Valenica
    Young
    Rooney
    Van Persie

Or Carrick or Smalling.

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    You forgot Evra, I'd cross off Carrick too
    ... I didn't want to go mad but I actually agree with you -

De Gea
    Smalling
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra
    Carrick
    Cleverly
    Valenica
    Young
    Rooney
    Van Persie

.. and people solely blame Moyes for this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

No
    Liverpool on the 16th of March, Olympiakos a few days later and then Man City the week after.

When we get hammered by Liverpool and City and crash out of the CL, surely he has to be gone. How long before the Old Trafford crowd turns on him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No

De Gea
    Smalling
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Carrick
    Cleverly
    Valenica
    Young
    Rooney
    Van Persie

Alot of posters on here were crowing last season that it was the strongest Utd squad of all time :eek:
    I wont embarass them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    I've read two stats for the game but its really hard to believe if they are actually true . rvp only pass to Rooney was at ko and Ferdinand had 0 Tackles won and 0 interceptions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    Could be the beginning of the end lads as the tone of the English media seems to have changed toward Moyes.

never good.

Thats great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

A perfect storm of disaster might force the Glazers to sell.

Is Moyes an inside man?

Fergie fixing his Coolmore mistake to protect his legacy????

I've been watching too much coverage of the Maidan. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

never good.

Yea. We are the obsessed ones.

Hococop wrote: »
    I've read two stats for the game but its really hard to believe if they are actually true . rvp only pass to Rooney was at ko and Ferdinand had 0 Tackles won and 0 interceptions

Is the one about first shot and only shot on target being in the 89th minute true ?

Two things

Trying to shield the manager and not appear to be blaming him

Trying to protect their own egos by denying that Fergie made such a huge difference to performance. The players would find it tough to admit that surely? That they were made to look better then what they were by their manager.

If they were able to take the plaudits they have to be able to take the criticism you know.

To say they are struggling so badly now because they dont have Fergie to give them that something extra and drag them through it would be to also say that they only won all those trophies because of Fergie, that the players were just supporting characters in it rather then the main guys

He was asked could this manager give them something to lift them and basically looked startled and said its up to the players and never mentioned the manager. Looked odd to me. Would have been easy to say yes we re behind the manager, in this together, will turn it around blaa blaa blaa. Not mentioning the manager at all rang alarm bells for me anyway.

Yea. We are the obsessed ones.

Sorry. What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Smart thing to do now would be to get rid of Moyes in the morning and appoint Laudrup as manager for the remainder of the season with the possibility of a long term contract if things look promising.

*player manager

• Advertisement

No
    Is the one about first shot and only shot on target being in the 89th minute true ?

I don't think so if I remember they showed we had one shot on target at around the 60-70 min mark

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

No
    ... I didn't want to go mad but I actually agree with you -

De Gea
    Smalling
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra
    Carrick
    Cleverly
    Valenica
    Young
    Rooney
    Van Persie

.. and people solely blame Moyes for this :rolleyes:

I wouldn't cross off Vidic just yet, and for Young Valencia and Cleverley you have Januzaj Kagawa and Fellaini to replace them.
    So seeing as Moyes is solely the one in charge of picking the team I would solely blame him for that problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

K4t wrote: »
    Smart thing to do now would be to get rid of Moyes in the morning and appoint Laudrup ........

I was with you up till that point. Laudrup. Seriously?

No
    I don't think so if I remember they showed we had one shot on target at around the 60-70 min mark

Edit : just reading my own comment makes me realise how depressing that is

I can't believe I messed up editing my own comment

"@OptaJoe: 89th - Manchester United's first and only shot on target came in the 89th minute of the game. Restricted."

doesn't look like a fake account hence why I asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Zico wrote: »
    A perfect storm of disaster might force the Glazers to sell.

Is Moyes an inside man?

Fergie fixing his Coolmore mistake to protect his legacy????

I've been watching too much coverage of the Maidan. :(

Only a financial disaster will cause an early Moyes sacking. If he never won anything at UTD ever but he kept on scraping 4th and the cash kept rolling in the Glazers wouldn't give a **** after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    "@OptaJoe: 89th - Manchester United's first and only shot on target came in the 89th minute of the game. Restricted."

doesn't look like a fake account hence why I asked.

No, we had shots prior to that, not many but we did. Cleverley's effort that went over the bar was our first I think and that was around the half hour mark if I remember correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No
    Edit : just reading my own comment makes me realise how depressing that is

I can't believe I messed up editing my own comment

That was just one chance. Not one on target

Thats great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :( so Kew its all Moyes fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

No
    Schwiiing wrote: »
    Only a financial disaster will cause an early Moyes sacking. If he never won anything at UTD ever but he kept on scraping 4th and the cash kept rolling in the Glazers wouldn't give a **** after that.
    He's never going to get 4th, ever, no matter how long he stays. Out of his depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

No, we had shots prior to that, not many but we did. Cleverley's effort that went over the bar was our first I think and that was around the half hour mark if I remember correctly

"on target" are the key words here mate.

1 **** on target

Edit: lol typo, accurate I'll leave it

Hard to pass to Rooney when he's busy running after the opposition wingers playing as a left back. I know Rooney means well but he's got no positional discipline. That another problem we have. Rooney can't play off RVP because he will not stay close enough to him. Wander all over the place trying to do everyone else's job for them. We should only play Rooney up top or not at all. In other words one of the two needs to sit on the bench. We need a proper number ten behind one or the other.

No
    Schwiiing wrote: »

So the arsenal way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Well at least we'll have Mata back for the second leg.

Keane is dead right, and he looked a bit bewildered there at the lack of emotion in Carrick's interview. The ITV interviewer did his best to get some quote out of Carrick, but Carrick was a shell. To be honest, Carrick's words and his demeanor couldn't be further apart. 'We just need to get better results', haha Michael surely you are just keeping a United front, don't want to call it as it is, and don't truly believe that is the fundamental problem?

After all the hope from Saturday's game, we have now reverted back to this shíte. It never changes; Moyes puts out a shíte team with shíte tactics, then when we go 1 or 2 down, he empties the bench of mostly the players he should have started, and then the stench of fúcking desperation chokes us all while acting as laughing gas for ABUs and neutrals alike.

No Fellaini at all? With Rio and Vidic playing, I would have thought Fellaini would be the man to protect this back 2, as he did quite well last Saturday. Plus in not playing tonight, the returning Fellaini who is need of minutes will now not get a chance to play for another 10 days or so, slowing his reintegration back into the team needlessly.

Smalling was a disgrace. Antonio Valencia needs to be shipped out. Shinji Kagawa, who unfortunately occupies the bench these days, played the only bit of football that the team indulged in all night when he came on. Real shame what is being done to this very talented player.

Ah David, you are hammering the nails into your own coffin, you are threading the very rope that will hang you, basically you are doing yourself no favours at all never mind Manchester United. This season is so painful to endure, and the small glimmer of hope we get every once in a while, i.e. performance/result against Palace only makes it worse in my opinion. I was so sure Moyes had seen the light in looking at the way the team were set-up to play last weekend, makes tonight even more frustrating

Make no mistake, Olympiakos were decent especially in the way they closed everyone of our players down and subsequently out and maintained that pressure, but it really was like Headless Chicken Run watching our lads go about. I don't give a fúck, there are serious deficiencies in our squad and team, but not the kind that should see us more likely get bet than win in any match we now play. This whole ordeal is really the worst I can remember since I actively started following the team and matches in 1989, something has got to change.

This rate of going, Moyes should bow out as soon as the season ends. There are fans who 'don't want us to be like City and Chelsea' with a revolving door of managers, and I was like this myself up until recently. But where those teams sacked managers because they weren't winning trophies, our situation is totally different. Those clubs hadn't fallen out of the top 4 or were going through a downward spiral like the one Manchester United are definitely in now.

And the lack blame directed at Moyes from the TV pundits is laughable. Yes the players have blame to accept, but that has been mentioned over and over now. In fact, I think the players have been placed too much in the firing line as of late in lieu of their manager escaping it. I can't see RvP and his 'mental softness' staying next season to chase long balls and off-aimed crosses for another year, of which he hasn't got many left as a professional.

A bit sick here to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    He's never going to get 4th, ever, no matter how long he stays. Out of his depth.

Note my use of the word 'If'.

No
    :( so Kew its all Moyes fault?

The tactics were 1950 stuff. I mean playing pretty much 4-4-1-1 today is what Trap got knocked on head for.

Yes certain players like Cleverley who was gutless yet again and Valencia was awful, but main blame lies with manager.

I've no doubt Moyes would get us 4th in the next few years if he's kept and is allowed to spend but that's hardly good enough for United is it

• Advertisement

No
    I thought Welbeck did well when he came on. He showed a lot of fight when others did not. Went up in my estimation after tonight. Even if he was only on pitch less then 30 minutes.

One of the few that tried to battle and do something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement