Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

jaykay74 wrote: »
    You lied :(

Unless you meant that we turned 4 corners and are back to square one of course.

you turn 3 corners to get back to square one, 4 corners will get you to square 2 ;)

At least you beat Palace last Saturday, Pulis must be kicking himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

No
    Well its a combination of average players,low confidence and a clueless manager .

Utd won a bad league last season playing mediocre football at best ,nothing like the flowing football seen in previous years .
    The standard of the Premiership last season and indeed this season is extremely low ,the bottom half of the table is complete dross and the ironic thing is that these are the teams that Fergies Utd used to win the league against .
    Moyes Utd struggle against this dross which indicates the managers input.

The standard of football at Utd has been falling steadily over the last 5 years ,Ronanldo was papering over the cracks for years and Fergie was able to get the best out of an average team for the last few years by playing pretty defensive football especially away from home.

The players simply arent good enough and neither is the manager.

Agree with this completely, its a combination of problems. United would be doing alot better with a better manager but the players aren't as high quality as they were in previous squads either. Ferguson worked wondered the last few seasons and he's not a fool, he probably knew now was the time to retire.

• NUTZZ wrote: »
    Oh I knew what your point was, I really just quoted you because my point was in the same vain as your post.
    OK apologies if came across aggressive, I'm a bit upset with the result and Keane's attitude in relation to the interview. A couple of pool fans in the other thread stir spoon-age for the sake of it so didn't help me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Thought Keane was incredibly restrained.. can't believe anyone would say bad form.

Feel bad for rvp.. he's receiving absolutely nothing. rooney needs to become more of a leader.. dissapeared for me tonight.

Kagawa made an immediate difference. it's said here time and time again, but it's mind boggling how he can't get in the team. his run and lay up to welbeck near the end was footballing beauty.

there's nothing positive to say about tc23. a damning performance and the team struggles with him in the team. fellainis performance on sat contrastingly highlighted this perfectly.

I've always been, and just about still am in the - give moyes more time- camp... but the team selections are slowly pushing me to think he just fundamentally may not be the man for united. the only word I can think to describe uniteds football under him is embarrassing. it's just so by the numbers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

A friend of mine (who supports Leeds) has pointed out to me that tonight's performance was the worst in Greece since Shane Ritchie played Danny Zuko.

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    Well its a combination of average players,low confidence and a clueless manager .

Utd won a bad league last season playing mediocre football at best ,nothing like the flowing football seen in previous years .
    The standard of the Premiership last season and indeed this season is extremely low ,the bottom half of the table is complete dross and the ironic thing is that these are the teams that Fergies Utd used to win the league against .

The standard of football at Utd has been falling steadily over the last 5 years ,Ronanldo was papering over the cracks for years and Fergie was able to get the best out of an average team for the last few years by playing pretty defensive football especially away from home.

Are you denying that this squad is good enough to at least get close to the top 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

A friend of mine (who supports Leeds) has pointed out to me that tonight's performance was the worst in Greece since Shane Ritchie played Danny Zuko.

;-)
    That's from Paddy Power, seen it on their FB page :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No

This squad is better than last seasons. The football has only been really poor the last 2 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

I have never seen such a terrible performance from United as tonight against Olympiakos.

The club is in a terrible and rapid descent. I like Moyes, I have nothing against him but he is well out of his depth with this job.

The players are average but for years were motivated by Fergie to get over the line. Without Fergie, they are being exposed.Too many aging players as well as players that are meant to blossom soon - I'm looking at you Smalling and Cleverley!

The financial matters of the club are being run arseways too. YOU DO NOT PAY E40 MILLION TO YOUR RIVALS FOR A PLAYER WHO IS CUP-TIED IN EUROPE! Also, Rooney isn't worth 300k a week. Not with the performance tonight anyway. Yes, it would have been costly to buy a replacement, but they should have made a stand like the way Dortmund did with Lewandowski. Man Utd look weak for caving to Rooney and he is not worth the wages that Ibrahimovic, Yaya, Messi and Ronaldo are on. You could have brought in proper youth players for all of that money. Also, he is not Captain material or a club ambassador material.

Big shake up required.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

irishfeen wrote: »
    That's from Paddy Power, seen it on their FB page :)

Must be true so!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No
    I watched a bit of Carrick's interview with SSN

He said something about the team doing well the last few weeks,

Right that's a loss at Stoke and draws with Fulham and Arsenal and a win against Palace,

As Moyes said before the game the team were coming into tonight's game in good form,

Whatever they were drinking in Dubai I want some of it beacuse that must be deadly stuff.

• Giruilla wrote: »
    Thought Keane was incredibly restrained.. can't believe anyone would say bad form.

Feel bad for rvp.. he's receiving absolutely nothing. rooney needs to become more of a leader.. dissapeared for me tonight.

Kagawa made an immediate difference. it's said here time and time again, but it's mind boggling how he can't get in the team. his run and lay up to welbeck near the end was footballing beauty.

there's nothing positive to say about tc23. a damning performance and the team struggles with him in the team. fellainis performance on sat contrastingly highlighted this perfectly.

I've always been, and just about still am in the - give moyes more time- camp... but the team selections are slowly pushing me to think he just fundamentally may not be the man for united. the only word I can think to describe uniteds football under him is embarrassing. it's just so by the numbers.
    Jesus restrained about what?

I think I'm repeating myself constantly.

THE INTERVIEW RESPONSE WAS BAD FORM

No
    nuxxx wrote: »
    Agree with this completely, its a combination of problems. United would be doing alot better with a better manager but the players aren't as high quality as they were in previous squads either. Ferguson worked wondered the last few seasons and he's not a fool, he probably knew now was the time to retire.

Fergie retired because his wife's sister died and he wanted to spend more time with her. He left the club with a strong squad and with a huge transfer budget available.

I am disgusted by people like you who doubt his motivation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Man United have only won 1 game out of the last 5 in the champions league when Vidic and Ferdinand started together.

I'm not a stats man but that is some stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Jesus restrained about what?

I think I'm repeating myself constantly.

THE INTERVIEW RESPONSE WAS BAD FORM

Would you prefer if he gave the moyes response and say he thought they played well and it was down to luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No
    Moyes, "We came into the game in good form and a good mind set but it just didn’t show. I am surprised."

I presume he means in good form as in a good mood?

In 11 games in 2014 we have won 4 (including the win that ultimately ended in a lost penalty shoot out) lost 5 and drawn 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No

The financial matters of the club are being run arseways too. YOU DO NOT PAY E40 MILLION TO YOUR RIVALS FOR A PLAYER WHO IS CUP-TIED IN EUROPE! Also, Rooney isn't worth 300k a week. Not with the performance tonight anyway. Yes, it would have been costly to buy a replacement, but they should have made a stand like the way Dortmund did with Lewandowski. Man Utd look weak for caving to Rooney and he is not worth the wages that Ibrahimovic, Yaya, Messi and Ronaldo are on. You could have brought in proper youth players for all of that money. Also, he is not Captain material or a club ambassador material.

Big shake up required.

The financials are fine. We can well afford it. Ronaldo is on 580k a year btw, Rooney is on 250k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I am comfortable with Moyes being given the time he will undoubtedly get. I agree with Keane; Moyes must be shocked at the supposed talent at his disposal.

I think most of that United team are awful and in need of being turfed out. People will point to them being champions last season but I agree with Dixon's comments: the other teams didn't put up a good enough challenge last season. Add in RVP carrying the team for large parts, particularly at the start of the season, and Ferguson's legendary capacity to get the best out of players and it proved a recipe for success.

I expected a tough transition, although definitely not this tough. His tactics have been questionable numerous times, and he could have done better transfer business in the first window. I also question the wisdom in giving Rooney the contract he was given.

But he will be given time and I see no reason to call for him to be sacked when it's futile. What will happen for many (not all) on this board is that because they have been so vociferous in wanting Moyes sacked, they will find themselves secretly harbouring hopes for United to lose. The alternative would be to have to hope United keep winning and that they end up being spectacularly wrong on Moyes. Many won't want to choke down that humble pie.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Ronaldo is on 580k a year btw, Rooney is on 250k.

What are you on about? :confused:

No
    K4t wrote: »
    From redcafe:

For the english lads,

Robin said he was unhappy with the game, we played bad but they didn't create much either. The chance I had went pretty good but the shot was to hasty and if you only get one chance in a match like this...you need to score it.

But now it gets interesting. Jack van Gelder (interviewer) asked if Robin feels frustrated being isolated (couldn't find the proper way to translate this, but basically not getting any football) wanting to and because of that feels the urge to drop back. Or if hes not allowed to do that.

This is RvP's reply: "I am allowed to drop back to touch the ball, but my teammates also sometimes play in the position where i like to play. And if i see that then its hard for me to also play there, so im forced to change my run paths because of my teammates.

And unfortunately they play too often in my zone and i don't like that."

Interview: Do you know what is wrong with this United?

RvP: Yeah but, I won't point fingers, because im not like that.

link: http://nos.nl/video/616277-van-persie-gelooft-nog-in-kwartfinale.html

Star CF talking about players in his way and things not working, damning stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No
    Pro. F wrote: »
    Are you denying that this squad is good enough to at least get close to the top 4?

No ,it is good enough to be up there challenging for the top 4 ,no doubt about that,its a poor league ,Utd should not be dropping points against sides in the bottom half of the league.

Winning the title by 11 points last season was not a true reflection of the squad though ,Chelsea and Man City shot themselves in the foot and Utd won a ridiculous amount of matches coming from behind especially at the start of the season when RVP was on fire and singlehandedly winning matches.
    If RVP hadnt been in such good form last season ,it would have been a very different story.
    This squad is better than last seasons. The football has only been really poor the last 2 years..
    Are you serious ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

No
    Get him out ASAP, he's wrecking the gaff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

No
    jamie jackson ‏@JamieJackson___ 17m

On Januzaj Moyes said he'd decided to play Cleverley so left him out...
    jamie jackson ‏@JamieJackson___ 12m

Moyes:"I decided last week I would play Cleverley and it was a time to bring [Adnan] in and out at right moments so I chose not to use him"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    K4t wrote: »
    From redcafe:

For the english lads,

Robin said he was unhappy with the game, we played bad but they didn't create much either. The chance I had went pretty good but the shot was to hasty and if you only get one chance in a match like this...you need to score it.

But now it gets interesting. Jack van Gelder (interviewer) asked if Robin feels frustrated being isolated (couldn't find the proper way to translate this, but basically not getting any football) wanting to and because of that feels the urge to drop back. Or if hes not allowed to do that.

This is RvP's reply: "I am allowed to drop back to touch the ball, but my teammates also sometimes play in the position where i like to play. And if i see that then its hard for me to also play there, so im forced to change my run paths because of my teammates.

And unfortunately they play too often in my zone and i don't like that."

Interview: Do you know what is wrong with this United?

RvP: Yeah but, I won't point fingers, because im not like that.

link: http://nos.nl/video/616277-van-persie-gelooft-nog-in-kwartfinale.html

Mutiny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    Kirby wrote: »
    What are you on about? :confused:

Ronaldos salary before tax is 580k, Rooneys is 250k.

What's the problem?

• Hococop wrote: »
    Would you prefer if he gave the moyes response and say he thought they played well and it was down to luck

Your post doesn't even make sense, 'Would you prefer if he gave the moyes response and say he thought they played well and it was down to luck'

Read it back to yourself.

One more time..

My point was about Keane's attitude towards Carricks interview.
    Not the Critic about the Game.
    Capiche?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    He took the corner. What's the issue with that?

If that is true I stand corrected. Did not think he did. I take your word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

No
    BhWnJPYCIAEwzdU.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

xtal191 wrote: »
    BhWnJPYCIAEwzdU.jpg:large
    As damning as it gets really :(

No
    I am comfortable with Moyes being given the time he will undoubtedly get. I agree with Keane; Moyes must be shocked at the supposed talent at his disposal.

I think most of that United team are awful and in need of being turfed out. People will point to them being champions last season but I agree with Dixon's comments: the other teams didn't put up a good enough challenge last season. Add in RVP carrying the team for large parts, particularly at the start of the season, and Ferguson's legendary capacity to get the best out of players and it proved a recipe for success.

I expected a tough transition, although definitely not this tough. His tactics have been questionable numerous times, and he could have done better transfer business in the first window. I also question the wisdom in giving Rooney the contract he was given.

But he will be given time and I see no reason to call for him to be sacked when it's futile. What will happen for many (not all) on this board is that because they have been so vociferous in wanting Moyes sacked, they will find themselves secretly harbouring hopes for United to lose. The alternative would be to have to hope United keep winning and that they end up being spectacularly wrong on Moyes. Many won't want to choke down that humble pie.

So last season was a once off and RvP carried the team. What about the season before that, where the team finished on the same points total? What about the fact that Moyes has spent £60m adding to the squad? What about the fact that the team hasn't finished outside the top 2 in 7 years?

To paint the issue as a problem of quality with the team is ridiculous.

The reason to say that he should be sacked is because that is the truth. Talk your bollocks about United fans wanting the team to lose because they have an opinion about the manager all you want, it doesn't change the truth that he has shown himself incapable of doing the job.

• Advertisement

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    What did Keano have to say? Was watching TV3

I see someone has now posted the vid for you there a few pages back.
    NUTZZ wrote: »
    Keane completely held back, you could see it in his eyes he wanted to tear that performance apart but he didn't because it's ITV and most of the squad were English that started.

Yes, Keane was evidently biting his lip while still coming across as passionate, but I think he just a bit down by Michael Carrick's lack of fight and his defeated nature. Granted it's not Michael's place to say outright in a post-match interview what is his honest opinion about the current situation, what is it really like behind the scenes, start a mutiny etc, but some form of passion should have been displayed, and I think that's what got Keane most. Not even a sign of 'This is unacceptable and we must do better' or any acceptance of an under-performing United, just the usual Moyesist tripe (as in ' along the thinking of Moyes', not anti-Scottish :D) about us hopefully getting better results. 'We will be confident of turning the tie in our favour once we get them on our own turf', anything that ressembles a fighting, defiant mentality, the mentality of champions would have sufficed.

But that's the thing, it looks like the manager's 'we hope' has infected the mind of these champions, and those it hasn't affected it has disgruntled and unsettled instead. I've a feeling that most of the personalities who would have a hope of changing things from within the dressing room or rising morale, i.e. Evra, Rio, Vidic, RVP, are going soon anyway and therefore don't see it as their battle to fight.

For those here that are still firmly on the managers side, what are the things that are currently keeping you there? Not digging at you at all or stirring shíte. I myself up until recently believed that when our prime players returned from injury, and if we dogged it out until the summer transfer window and got in the players we desperately needed, things would get much better with Moyes and staff. I thought 'right manager, part-wrong squad, terrible luck'. But now and for this past while, with his insistence on setting the team up to play this atrocious football, I feel we would struggle to get results with UEFA's team of the season playing for Manchester United.

I really wanted to see the man get it right and still do, but the longer this goes on the less faith I have in his ability to do it, and the more I'm having a look to see what other managers would actually have the ability.

No
    yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VDS CLEANSHEET RECORD STANDS

UP YA BOYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No
    People (small %) still defending Moyes at this stage is bizarre.

The general theme from his defenders is he's been left with a bad squad and Ferguson was a genius to win the league with them.

So they are basically saying Ferguson is a football genius but at the same time managed to fill the squad with absolutely rubbish players.

How exactly does that compute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No
    436c44727408fab13f82aab2b6df8eb6.png

:pac:

Daniel_Bryan_YES.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

No
    yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VDS CLEANSHEET RECORD STANDS

UP YA BOYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I scrolled down I thought Moyes had been sacked haha, glad that VDS keeps his record, will be a long time before someone comes this close again I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    Said it before, I really do wonder what is going through Moyes head when picking the team?

The Carrick, Cleverley, Young, Valencia combination has been utterly abject every single time they have been on the field. Not once this season has Valencia or Cleverley looked anything but useless, but for the biggest game left in our season Moyes decides that they are the players to pick. Its utterly baffling.

A three year old knew what was going to happen just by looking at the teamsheet, so what the **** was Moyes thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    Are you serious ??

Yep added two of the best players in the league for the past two season and Adnan. Better squad than last year. The football has only really been ****e for 18 months.

No
    No ,it is good enough to be up there challenging for the top 4 ,no doubt about that,its a poor league ,Utd should not be dropping points against sides in the bottom half of the league.

Winning the title by 11 points last season was not a true reflection of the squad though ,Chelsea and Man City shot themselves in the foot and Utd won a ridiculous amount of matches coming from behind especially at the start of the season when RVP was on fire and singlehandedly winning matches.
    If RVP hadnt been in such good form last season ,it would have been a very different story.

Yeah, sure if RvP wasn't at the club there is no way the team would have finished on 89 points...

11/12 final league standing: 89 points, 2nd place.

Ronaldos salary before tax is 580k, Rooneys is 250k.

What's the problem?

The problem is there are no correct facts in your post. Ill quote your post again.
    Ronaldo is on 580k a year btw, Rooney is on 250k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Star CF talking about players in his way and things not working, damning stuff.

If he can criticise players surely he realises the manager sets them up to play that way and should be criticising the manager then?

also if he's bold enough to say he knows what's wrong with United to the media then he should also be brave enough to share his views with the manager in training.

No
    Ah who needs the CL when we can keep a world record for clean sheets

Lets pretend the match never took place

VTPN3w8.gif

No
    also if he's bold enough to say he knows what's wrong with United to the media then he should also be brave enough to share his views with the manager in training.

I suspect he has done just that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No
    Said it before, I really do wonder what does be going through Moyes head when picking the team?

The Carrick, Cleverley, Young, Valencia combination has been utterly abject every single time they have been on the field. Not once this season has Valencia or Cleverley looked anything but useless, but for the biggest game left in our season Moyes decides that they are the players to pick. Its utterly baffling.

It is indeed a baffling selection.
    2 central midfielders that are slow ,one paced ,cant take the ball forward, are ultra conservative and rarely get into the last third of the pitch .

Where is the creativity going to come from ,2 poor wide men ,whose sole tactic seems to be to try to cross the ball into the penalty area where there are no attacking players or midfielders making runs into as the forwards have to repeatedly come deep to try to get the ball and the central midfielders get a nose bleed once they get within 35 yards of goal.

Baffling.

No
    If he can criticise players surely he realises the manager sets them up to play that way and should be criticising the manager then?

He is right to not criticise the manager publicly. If anything he is going to far by saying what he did say. But there isn't much a player can do right when put in that situation (ie screwed over by manager and then having to explain it all to the press).

I also wouldn't assume that RvP hasn't said something to Moyes in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I suspect he has done just that.

So then the way Moyes has us playing is taking RVP's view into account? Otherwise would RVP not be subtly criticising the manager rather than the players for not taking his views on board?

I just have a feeling all is not as it seems and we probably won't find out what's really happened this season until a few years down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No
    I seriously hate the man he'll not be mentioned by name until he is gone from United.

Look at him, like wtf. If the players look over too that to find inspiration/guidance and see that face/faces he has pulled before they haven't a fcuking hope of getting anything off that man seriously, look at him!!!!!!!! :mad:

Rabbit caught in the headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Your post doesn't even make sense, 'Would you prefer if he gave the moyes response and say he thought they played well and it was down to luck'

Read it back to yourself.

One more time..

My point was about Keane's attitude towards Carricks interview.
    Not the Critic about the Game.
    Capiche?

Fair enough my apologizes. Like many here the loss tonight has put me in bad form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Anyone know if The Chosen One banner is still being displayed at home games?

• Hococop wrote: »
    Fair enough my apologizes. Like many here the loss tonight has put me in bad form
    Me too dude, I'm raging. :(

No
    So then the way Moyes has us playing is taking RVP's view into account? Otherwise would RVP not be subtly criticising the manager rather than the players for not taking his views on board?

I just have a feeling all is not as it seems and we probably won't find out what's really happened this season until a few years down the line.

My own opinion based on nothing is that RVP is a very strong character that would not be afraid to tell Moyes, Round and Neville exactly just how unimpressed he is at the minute. He knows he is a world class player that Moyes can't just bench, so while he might hold back in public I suspect he will be scathing behind closed doors.

Of course, I also believe that Moyes lost the dressing room quite some time ago. Nobody in that team is playing for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement