Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pro. F wrote: »
    So last season was a once off and RvP carried the team. What about the season before that, where the team finished on the same points total? What about the fact that Moyes has spent £60m adding to the squad? What about the fact that the team hasn't finished outside the top 2 in 7 years?

To paint the issue as a problem of quality with the team is ridiculous.

But Fergie points to the lack of goals in his book as being one of the reasons the team lost on points. Says it was a factor in him going for Van Persie, who Moyes hasn't had much of this season. He also laments the defensive frailties against Everton as a defining moment in the team losing, and those frailties are still there. Also don't forget Fergie asked Scholes to come out of retirement and got him to sign a contract extension.

Moyes's signings we haven't seen enough of yet, although he has placed a lot of faith in Januzaj for which he hasn't been given much credit. Obviously he's trying not to be too reliant on the kid.

You might scoff at the claim that the quality isn't there but even those on this thread who want Moyes gone are also saying practically half the squad aren't good enough. There are more problems at United than Ferguson not being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    dixiefly wrote: »
    Anyone know if The Chosen One banner is still being displayed at home games?

Was thinking the same if its gone the media will really pile on the pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

• Hococop wrote: »
    Yep last home game it was displayed for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Man I would do anything to hear Moyes has walked out in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Olympiakos have never won a game in England...

Moyes might have something to say about that

• Olympiakos have never won a game in England...

Moyes might have something to say about that
    Oh Jesus no not another stat broken..

Nightmares to reality in one season :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    But Fergie points to the lack of goals in his book as being one of the reasons the team lost on points. Says it was a factor in him going for Van Persie, who Moyes hasn't had much of this season. He also laments the defensive frailties against Everton as a defining moment in the team losing, and those frailties are still there. Also don't forget Fergie asked Scholes to come out of retirement and got him to sign a contract extension.

Moyes's signings we haven't seen enough of yet, although he has placed a lot of faith in Januzaj for which he hasn't been given much credit. Obviously he's trying not to be too reliant on the kid.

You might scoff at the claim that the quality isn't there but even those on this thread who want Moyes gone are also saying practically half the squad aren't good enough. There are more problems at United than Ferguson not being there.

The team didn't lose on points, they lost on goal difference. The fact that the team were able to get to the exact same points total the previous season, without RvP, should show that the team weren't in such a bad condition.

It doesn't matter that the team were champions last season as much as it matters that they finished high up the table. Just like they had done in previous years. This team squad is strong. The idea that only having RvP for 18 games this season (15 league) is a valid excuse for the awful season is idiotic.

Anybody saying that half the squad aren't good enough has no clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    Kirby wrote: »
    The problem is there are no correct facts in your post. Ill quote your post again.

Originally Posted by BloodBath View Post
    Ronaldo is on 580k a year btw, Rooney is on 250k.

The contracts include image right deals worth a certain amount. In Ronaldos case it's a lot.

Rooneys including image rights comes to about £300k a week, Ronaldos with image rights comes to around £580k a week.

Of course I meant week for Ronaldo. Not year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Valencia did the exact same in the 30th minute and it really pissed me off. Smalling went to take a throw in their corner, first of all no one came looking to receive it and then Valencia turned his back to Smalling (and kept it turned) so he wouldn't throw it to him. There were too many defenders back and Valencia knew he didn't have the ability to do anything with it.

That really got me.

Finally found a clip of this, skip to the 30:55 minute mark for the throw in.

• Advertisement

No
    I just hope people got on the Greeks at 4/1(7/2 generally) to qualify like I was saying for past few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    Man I would do anything to hear Moyes has walked out in the morning

He will never in a million years walk out. Being sacked is the only way. And still a slim chance of that.

Van Gaal is on the look out for a job. Any takers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Hococop wrote: »

Stupid banner in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    Fair play to roy keane telling it as it is......

He is manchester united.... surely keane would do a better job than moyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No
    I knew it would be bad, but it was far far worse. Much like this season.

No
    Was a nice gesture by the greeks towards the 96 that died.... kudos to them

No

No matter what Keane says, he is as hurt as any United fan. You can see it in his face.

Ya he has been a *insert banned word here* in past no question, but if players only cared half as much as he did we be ok.

Moyes tactics are still the main blame, but some players need look themselves in mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It finally happened tonight, I finally completely lost confidence in Moyes. Yes, I'm very late to the party but I was determined to reserve my final judgement until Christmas. However, tonight's performance was quite possibly the worst I've seen from a United team in my lifetime - he is going backwards, not in comparison to SAF (which would be understandable), but in comparison to himself. There is no sign, not even an inkling of a grand plan, of a system, or progress of any sort.

I just don't see where he can go from here and, in addition to the performances, his attitude and demeanour on the sidelines as well as his uninspiring interviews have finally pushed me over the edge. I don't see how he can improve. The team out there tonight looked completely disinterested, completely unmotivated, and I'm beginning to think that he has lost the faith of almost every player in the squad.

It has become painful to watch United now and with 12 more games to go, the summer can't come fast enough just so I can give my weary soul a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

When you have a poor and overly cautious manager the players always end up not doing enough. They're so weighed down with warnings and so bamboozled with unnecessary and ineffective instructions that they end up falling apart on the pitch. This is what a team being managed badly looks like.
    Where have we seen this before... :rolleyes: Thank god he is gone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

No
    Sorry, but this bull of the Premier League being a poor league is just that: a bunch of bull. It's easily amongst the top 3 in Europe (Germany and Spain being the others). I posted a big long diatribe earlier about how well English teams have done in Europe in the last decade, so I'm not going to rehash it completely, but some pertinent points:

-Since 2003/4, English teams have won 3 Champions Leagues. By contrast, Spanish teams (well, team, cos only Barcelona did it) also 3 times, Italian teams twice, and once each for Portugal and Germany

-At least one English team featured in 8 of the 10 previous Champions League finals (only the 2010 and 2013 finals did not feature an English club)

-Consistent appearances in quarter finals and semi finals

Yeah, the standard is not the absolute best, and Keano did have a point with it being the best brand, but this nonsense of it being a poor league is a load. It is currently ranked 2nd (behind La Liga) by UEFA. And it didn't get there for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Not a chance Keane would be welcome at Utd after all he's said. But his drive, passion and honesty would be just whats needed to turn things around.

There was a real lack of urgency, passion and courage tonight. A few players seemed disinterested (RVP, Valencia), others seemed lax (Carrick, Ferdinand, Evra), and a few others seemed scared (Cleverly, Smalling). It was such a sh1te performance it was almost unbelieveable.

There is something fundamentally wrong within the club. Whether it is a lack of respect for Moyes or his methods I dont know but one thing for certain, the players are not putting in the same level of effort and committment this year that they have in previous seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Best view I've seen on Twitterby Alistair Ferguson @Fergie1975
    "No game for two weeks, RVP dissents, odds tumble on DM sacking, interesting moments. Test of nerve for owners, teammates and manager."

Things getting very edgy for Moyes, with WBA, Liverpool, Olympiakos, City as the next fixtures coming up.

I've defended Moyes a lot, but tonight was very bad. Line up was poor, CM destroyed. Vidic made a terrific last ditch block in the first half, coming from a player who just sprinted by CM without a bother.

After very promising weekend, I expected something from the game. By 70 mins I was hoping they wouldn't concede a third. That's far from the attitude displayed in the past.

Realistically, if anything is to happen regarding the job, it will happen before Friday to give a potential new man a week to prepare.

Not sure about the general opinion, but I thought Vidic displayed yet again what good a captain he has been.

• Fair play to roy keane telling it as it is......

Telling what how it is exactly, the points being made this evening are so vague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No
    beno619 wrote: »
    Yep added two of the best players in the league for the past two season and Adnan. Better squad than last year. The football has only really been ****e for 18 months.

But Vidic,Ferdinand and Giggs weary legs are a year older.They are not the players they were a year ago.
    Scholes has retired.
    Andersen is gone.
    Nani and RVP are injury plagued.

Cleverely has regressed drastically as a player .
    Valencia has no confidence at all .

I'd like to see a midfield of Mata,Carrick,Fellaini and Januzai going forward ,anything would be better than Cleverley,Young and Valencia .

No
    Best view I've seen on Twitterby Alistair Ferguson @Fergie1975
    "No game for two weeks, RVP dissents, odds tumble on DM sacking, interesting moments. Test of nerve for owners, teammates and manager."

It was Blatter I remember who came in here at the time and said there was money on Moyes to take over United last May few days before Fergie left.

Im kinda hoping him or somebody else who watches these comes in with something similar.

asap would be lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

This thread and forum has gone to sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Didn't see game, but any account I'm reading is telling me we were muck.....

It is getting very difficult to stay remotely positive.

No
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Telling what how it is exactly, the points being made this evening are so vague

Read that again and what??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

When you have a poor and overly cautious manager the players always end up not doing enough. They're so weighed down with warnings and so bamboozled with unnecessary and ineffective instructions that they end up falling apart on the pitch. This is what a team being managed badly looks like.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    Where have we seen this before... :rolleyes: Thank god he is gone!

I wouldnt be so dismissive and condescending about the above possibility. Moyes has had a small team mentality with cautious tactics for years. Its something very hard to change especially when under so much pressure.

No
    Al Capwned wrote: »

The way things are going we will be lucky to finish the league
    Higher than 7th or 8th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No
    DazMarz wrote: »
    Sorry, but this bull of the Premier League being a poor league is just that: a bunch of bull. It's easily amongst the top 3 in Europe (Germany and Spain being the others). I posted a big long diatribe earlier about how well English teams have done in Europe in the last decade, so I'm not going to rehash it completely, but some pertinent points:

-Since 2003/4, English teams have won 3 Champions Leagues. By contrast, Spanish teams (well, team, cos only Barcelona did it) also 3 times, Italian teams twice, and once each for Portugal and Germany

-At least one English team featured in 8 of the 10 previous Champions League finals (only the 2010 and 2013 finals did not feature an English club)

-Consistent appearances in quarter finals and semi finals

Yeah, the standard is not the absolute best, and Keano did have a point with it being the best brand, but this nonsense of it being a poor league is a load. It is currently ranked 2nd (behind La Liga) by UEFA. And it didn't get there for no reason.

Its a 3 tiered league though.
    The top 4-5 teams that regularly feature in the Champions league are far superior to the teams in the next 4-5 places and then you have the bottom half of the league which are dross.

Keane is right ,the standard of football in the EPL is generally poor especially for the neutral fan.
    The average game between two bottom half of the table teams is usually very poor fare.
    A match involving two similar placed teams in Spain would be of far higher quality and much more entertaining.

No
    Red Crow wrote: »
    This thread and forum has gone to sh1te.

The Moyes effect on this thread:

XcYNkhC.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Keane seems tactically inept, and also seems to have 1 mode, sometimes a player will need an arm around the shoulder. You can't fix every problem by shouting at it.

I think he'll mature and possibly become a good manager but not sure when.

The inclusion of Young and Valencia after the decent showing at Palace without wingers is baffling. Valencia is just terrible, why does he start for United, why did Fergie use him so much last season being equally as shít? It's all beyond my comprehension.

Every game this season all I've wanted to see is a free flowing attack, no rigid wingers, just players being able to showcase their talent passing the ball, linking up.

Mata, Kagawa, Rooney and RVP is possibly one of the best attacking combinations there is on paper yet we've not seen it used the way it should be. We're 7th in the league, we're out of the FA cup, out of the league cup, most probably out of the CL if it stays the same. Surely the time to play it safe is well and truly over, the next 12 games is time to experiment and go ultra attacking on other teams' asses.

Every single United supporter will want Moyes gone if he doesn't show something in the remaining games and it's too late for the majority anyway.

• Read that again and what??

How exactly did he 'tell it how it is'?

Your point is so vague

Understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    Al Capwned wrote: »

You're one of the lucky ones!

Van Persie isnt happy, has came out and said the tactics dont suit his game. Feel sorry for him, Fergie brought him & promised him big things. Now hes lumbered with Moyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

No
    The top 4-5 teams that regularly feature in the Champions league are far superior to the teams in the next 4-5 places and then you have the bottom half of the league which are dross.

Keane is right ,the standard of football in the EPL is generally poor especially for the neutral fan.
    The average game between two bottom half of the table teams is usually very poor fare.
    A match involving two similar placed teams in Spain would be of far higher quality and much more entertaining.

Granted, that is true. The standard of lower ranked teams can be abhorrent. But the same could be said of some lower teams in other leagues too. But granted, not to the same extent.

I would, admittedly, much rather watch Rayo v. Getafe as opposed to Norwich v. Fulham or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Is Van Persie talking about Rooney, when he says some of his team mates are playing in his zone?

Why is Rooney never criticised on here?

He was useless again.

No

Better to watch, which is something I value highly myself, does not mean better quality. Other than the top 2, the majority of teams in any place in the EPL are stronger than their Spanish counterparts.

• Advertisement

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Is Van Persie talking about Rooney, when he says some of his team mates are playing in his zone?

He was useless again.

Rooney wasnt in the box all night, stats show he played a defensive midfield role so Van Persie cant be talking about Rooney

• Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

He was useless again.
    He was forced to drop deep, starved of possession. He tracked back mutiple times and made interceptions when Smalling was caught out in possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Van Persie isnt happy, has came out and said the tactics dont suit his game. Feel sorry for him, Fergie brought him & promised him big things. Now hes lumbered with Moyes

Poor guy. I feel sorry for him. He's like a slave.

No
    M!Ck^ wrote: »

How exactly did he 'tell it how it is'?

Your point is so vague

Understand?
    Well his point on the players we need.. although i think its more 7/8 players needed for the squad. His point on it simply not being good enough..

why was he wrong in what he said in your opinion???

No
    Its how far apart United players are from the player with the ball is what I cant get over.

Its like as if Moyes is telling them "Whoever has the ball you run away as fast as possible"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

No
    With all the rage, anger and hair pulling.........the easiest way to explain how I feel is simply, 'F*&k off Moyes'.

I actually feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

No

He was useless again.

think he's talking about Welbeck. rvp had a shot at one stage that welbeck was in the way of and it just hit off welbeck. You could see rvp banging the ground in annoyance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

No
    In his interview before the game he said (not an exact quote but roughly) "we've set up to be tight and compact and make ourselves difficult to beat". For christ sake, this is Man United. Given the opposition, he should've been looking to kill off the tie tonight with a solid attacking, yet slightly cautious performance. Instead, he essentially played for a 0-0 but the players showed nowhere near the level of commitment or work-ethic needed to get any sort of result.

Ferdinand is finished. Looked complacent and disinterested at times.

Cleverley simply not good enough at this level. Didn't play or even attempt to play one probing ball in the whole game... or all season.

Young was at his peak two season's ago when he was knocking in goals and assists for fun. His form has dipped critically in recent times though and was dreadful tonight.

How Kagawa didn't start is a mystery. He oozed class when he came on. While the physical nature of the PL doesn't seem to suit him, he was in his element tonight.

Moyes got the tactics completely wrong and he hasn't gotten rid of a small-club mentality from a decade at everton but a lot of players need to take a long, hard look in the mirror.

No
    Its how far apart United players are from the player with the ball is what I cant get over.

Its like as if Moyes is telling them "Whoever has the ball you run away as fast as possible"!

I have seen better football in the league of ireland shocking....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

He was useless again.

You are joking? Rooney and Vidic were probably the only two doing anything the whole night.

Rooney had to drop back deep to get the ball because it wasn't arriving up front, no point in both him and RVP staying up front not touching the ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement