Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

FTFY :P

:D

there was some other scottish cup aswell wasnt there?? or was that just some invitational thing?

no doubt Fergie was one of the best young managers around when he went to United. that and the situation United where in are the reason he got so much time. if that was now he probably wouldnt have gotten as much time. if it was AVB another young up and coming (yet slightly messed up his career) manager went to United as his first english job he probably wouldnt have lasted either

Moyes has to go. no excuses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

No
    zerks wrote: »
    I think I know what the real problem is: Steve Round doesn't wear shorts in the dugout.

Round is nothing but a 'no' man! If he said 'yes' more we'd be winning these types of games!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Having a look at the current pedigree of managers available, there is a couple who could provide the short term solution or we could possibly look at brining in someone with a more long term view. For the latter, Klopp probably won't be interested at present due to his continuing commitment to Dortmund.

I can't help but thinking that we missed a serious trick this summer. How many times has the 6 of the top clubs in football changed manager the same season with some world class managers up for grabs and we got landed with David Moyes. Sometimes i wonder if its all a cruel joke.

Anyways, short term - probably Hiddink/Van Gaal/Bielsa/Heyneckes - Gets us back into the UCL next year then either make a big move for Klopp or consider Simeone. I'd throw Conte in aswell but i doubt the chances of him leaving Juve atm.

A comment on the transfer business this year:

Being honest, I think Fellaini was the last type of player we needed, complete panic buy imo and it showed. Not good enough for the job required.

Mata is bait more difficult to discern. I have no doubt the guy is a class player but also requires a different type of team to the one we posses to get the best out of him. Paying that kind of money for him with Rooney and Kags playing the same position smacks of he was all we could get during january - another panic buy but he is a utd pedigree player so will at least be a good signing if we can change our system to get the best out of him

Blowing money on players that should not be a priority seems to be the current tactic(i.e its all we could get)

Would this have been the same had we captured an accomplished manager with some clout in attracting players? i think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No
    When Fergie took over United they were at about the same level as Newcastle are now

You would have got your point across just as well by using the age he took over the job at instead of trying to make it look even worse.

ok so he was 45 not 35. to be fair 3 and 4 are right beside each other and its early in the morning and im slightly bewildered looking at numbers all morning. so correct me instead of being unhelpful. its not like im trying to slag him off ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

No
    Paulegend wrote: »
    pre united

Alex Ferguson (age 35)
    OBE
    scottish premier division (3 times)
    scottish first division
    scottish cup (4 times)
    scottish league cup
    cup winners cup

David Moyes (age 50)
    football league second division
    lma manager of the year (3 times)

yea its the exact same
    yep.
    and one inherits a side whose three best players were functioning or non-functioning alcoholics that hadn't won a league in 19 years.

the other inherits a side that won the league with games to spare the previous year and would likely have beaten real madrid in the quaters if it wasn't for a referee balls up.

I'm sick of this lazy apples to apples bull**** comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT COMPARE david moyes to alex ferguson....

Having a look at the current pedigree of managers available, there is a couple who could provide the short term solution or we could possibly look at brining in someone with a more long term view. For the latter, Klopp probably won't be interested at present due to his continuing commitment to Dortmund.

I can't help but thinking that we missed a serious trick this summer. How many times has the 6 of the top clubs in football changed manager the same season with some world class managers up for grabs and we got landed with David Moyes. Sometimes i wonder if its all a cruel joke.

Anyways, short term - probably Hiddink/Van Gaal/Bielsa/Heyneckes - Gets us back into the UCL next year then either make a big move for Klopp or consider Simeone. I'd throw Conte in aswell but i doubt the chances of him leaving Juve atm.

A comment on the transfer business this year:

Being honest, I think Fellaini was the last type of player we needed, complete panic buy imo and it showed. Not good enough for the job required.

Mata is bait more difficult to discern. I have no doubt the guy is a class player but also requires a different type of team to the one we posses to get the best out of him. Paying that kind of money for him with Rooney and Kags playing the same position smacks of he was all we could get during january - another panic buy but he is a utd pedigree player so will at least be a good signing if we can change our system to get the best out of him

Blowing money on players that should not be a priority seems to be the current tactic(i.e its all we could get)

Would this have been the same had we captured an accomplished manager with some clout in attracting players? i think not.

just remember arsenal eventually have to replace wenger. city will eventually tire of their guy and chelseas jose will do a jose and move on. this wont be the last time these clubs change managers. hell even spurs will probably change this summer.

funnily enough the only long term managers i can see in the top 6 are the mersey side clubs. Liverpool wont want to rid of Rodgers if he gets us champions league and Everton will be trilled with Martinez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No
    bullvine wrote: »
    When Fergie took over United they were at about the same level as Newcastle are now

They were 21st in the league and full of a team of unfit boozers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I knew when I saw the team sheet last night that we were in trouble , I know we all like to play football manager but I really think Moyes might be taking strong medication , the team selection and tactics was woefull. And it keeps on going and going , week in week out. I know we need new players in , but he has to work with what he has now and IMO he isn't doing it right.

De Gea - Of course.

Smalling - Can't pass a ball ,I've seen players on a wet saturday in St.Annes pass better than him , absolutly cannot cross and has no business as a RB or going beyond the half way line.

Vidic - Had to play no option but was poor.

Rio - Awful again had to play but really poor.

Evra - Did try, but has become very predictable in his movement going forward.

Carrick - Had his number the greeks , pressure him quickly on the ball and he disapears from games.

Cleverly - Offered nothing , no drive , no fight , no tackles , no movement another non-performance from shy Cleverly.

Valencia - Awful, one way movement , no drive forward , no crosses , no cutting inside. His time is done and has been for a while.

Young - Doesn't have the skill or composure to beat a player , can cross when given enough space, touch was poor and gave the ball away over and over.

Rooney - Poor last night , dropped far too deep and had no outlet to play to up ahead of him.

RVP - Looks really frustrated as he is getting no service from his midfield. Even a top striker needs people to create chances to get him in a position to score.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Janazai - Why was he not on the pitch?? ahead of them two ****ing clowns. We'd play better with him as one winger than with them two.

Fellaini - Had a good game against palace and would have offered more in midfield breaking up play and carrying forward.

Kagawa - Our best game in Europe came when he played in behing RVP, even putting him on the wing and letting him roam would have improved us.

Welbeck - At least fought like a player who wanted to win when introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No

I wasnt talking about the quality of the team not league position

to be fair though noone saw that start of the season coming. they where one of the favorites for the title the season before and finished 4th

but yea there needed to be a huge change in professionalism at the club and Fergie certainly brought that. he came in and actually took charge of the club

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Like a lot of people, I have defended Moyes but I think his position as manager at United is untenable at this stage. He clearly has lost the dressing room and now the fans.

His selection for the game last night defied all logic, why change a team that had just won at the weekend and had a two week break prior to the Palace game and had another week and a half before the next game. The only player that should have been replaced was Mata for obvious reasons and he had a perfect replacement in Kagawa. Instead he ****ed with the team, brought in Cleverley, Valencia and Young. Why was Januzaj not even on the bench?! Recipe for disaster in a competition which is our only hope of silverware (other than the Community Shield).

He has not only been a failure at United, but he has been a spectacular failure at United. Part of that is down to the players, part of that is down to the owners and the board, but at the end of it all it comes down to the manager and his staff. This most recent performance is the end of me standing up for Moyes and I feel that if Liverpool beat us next month (which I think they will), that will be the end of Moyes tenure at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Does anybody actually believe we can overturn this deficit?

I was listening to Newstalk last night & they had a journo from The Guardian on after the game,he stated that speaking to opposition players who played at OT this season the fear factor is gone,they said that the first 10 minutes or so are intimidating due to the aura of the place but then they realise that United are just ordinary & not the monster that they used to be.

Teams used to line out against us in the hope of not conceding 4 or 5,now it's teams playing with the belief that they will get & score from chances against us.

1780682_432256536919884_734557918_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The game was lost from the time the team sheet was handed in. One look at the team news and my hopes of stumbling through this round against an average Greek team without the two main strikers that had got them this far, took a massive kick in the nuts.

Valencia, Cleverley, Young in midfield looked like a disaster, and it was exactly that. The only way it could be any worse was if Giggs was playing instead of Carrick or one of the strikers. Add to that the fact that Rio is a complete liability, Smalling should never be considered at RB, and Evra whose selection can't be questioned given the alternatives at LB, just can not defend.

If everyone else was with the squad except Jones & Evans, why not play the same starting 11 as against Palace, with Kagawa taking Mata's place?

I was firmly in the #MoyesIn camp until now, but how could he think that last night's team selection was good enough? I have sympathy with him in the sense that many players he inherited are not good enough, but why play them in his biggest game of the season?

The team selection, result, performance, lack of passion, commitment, desire, urgency were all completely unacceptable. Heads are going to have to roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

So Moyes said he wanted to play Clev last night (God knows why) and thats why he left Adnan out?

I may be stupid but last time I checked both of those players played in different positions? Can someone explain it to me.

Clev and Carrick were really bad last night. Rooney was collecting the ball from Rio at times. There was no link from MF to the forwards, the ball only went wide.

I read this short summary of this seasons style on the Guardian, its the best summary of our wide tactics differing from last seasons so far
    A lot has been made of United’s emphasis on crossing this season. It should be pointed out that their attack has always largely been based around wing play, the likes of Giggs and Beckham providing the ammo for the forwards. But there’s a crucial difference. Previous United sides would pass the ball snappily in midfield, rhythmically and hypnotically, always keeping the opposition on the move. They would pull them all over the place and then pounce. The cross would come at the right moment. This team? It’s just floaty, hopeful rubbish delivered from deep positions with opposition defences already organised and knowing what to expect.

We will get zero snappy, rhythmic and hypnotic MF play with Clev partnering anyone. Moyes hadn't used him in a while and I thought he'd had enough of him but then he throws him back in for an important match like that. Its very frustrating especially after Fellaini played well on Saturday where we actually had some play in the centre of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Alex ferguson was a league winner and more importantly, a european winner on the biggest stage available to him. He took over a rabble of a dressing room.

None of which changes the fact that it took him 3.5 years at United to have success. Moyes therefore deserves the same courtesy imo. Have you forgotten what our great leader asked of all us fans on the old Trafford pitch last May? Did he not ask us all to get behind the new man and give him time? SAF knows how important that is because he got it himself.

And that's what I'm doing. Now in 3.5 years time if things are worse yes I will start to grumble. But until then I will withhold judgement. I will wait for Moyes to build his team in his vision and then judge him accordingly. And not judge him based on a team that he didn't construct. A team with quite a few members who know they're for the chop in the summer. How anyone can pass final judgement on Moyes with a team that isn't his, is beyond me. Excluding my early childhood years, I waited 15 years to see United win the league again back in 1993. So I remember those painful barren years well.

Thankfully, that experience and those memories made me a realist and it gives me some perspective on where we are right now. Too many fans only remember the Ferguson era, so I suspect a few have been too spoiled by this.The natural growing pains and winds of transition doesn't sit well with some. Well time to suck it up and accept it, because no man was going to step into the biggest shoes in football without any hiccups.

Perhaps people are now finally seeing that we have no right to continued success. And that's what SAF gave us for 2 decades, but he was given the time to do it. We will never see his like again, after all he was the GOAT. So any man that followed in his footsteps was always going to be given a thankless task. But I never thought I'd see a Mutiny on the Bounty style reaction so quickly from some fans.

I mean when you seriously think about it, 8 months into a job. What has happened? Have some fans turned into City or Chelsea supporters? Everyone wants the cum shot but forgets about the foreplay. Let the man build his own team first for Christ's sake. Each to their own though, but personally I'll never forget the tough graft it was being a United fan before SAF came along.

Big Ron's 2 FA cup wins in '83' and '85' were the height of the glory years for me. I loved big Ron and then this dour Scot came along, took over and I hated it. Yes I stood by him but after 3.5 years of nothing, I just about had enough when a dramatic Lee Martin goal changed everything. Right now I'm operating on that, now throw in the wishes of what SAF wanted me to do as a fan and I have no problem sticking by our new man. It's the least he deserves from us imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Does anybody actually believe we can overturn this deficit?

I was listening to Newstalk last night & they had a journo from The Guardian on after the game,he stated that speaking to opposition players who played at OT this season the fear factor is gone,they said that the first 10 minutes or so are intimidating due to the aura of the place but then they realise that United are just ordinary & not the monster that they used to be.

Teams used to line out against us in the hope of not conceding 4 or 5,now it's teams playing with the belief that they will get & score from chances against us.

yes I do believe we can, but I also believe they will score at Old Trafford and I cant see the current United team scoring 4 goals.... could be in store for one of old traffords great European nights or another Leverkusen style knock out

• Advertisement

Probably gonna get slaughtered but I still believe Carrick is the most cowardly player we have,as a senior player he has a responsibility to help drive the team from midfield but once again showed that when put under any modicum of pressure he goes into hiding.This is magnified when he has somebody as useless as Cleverley playing alongside him so has no out ball when he panics under said pressure & wants to get rid of it as if it was an explosive device.

It's easy for him to pop around passes when the opposition stand off him but as soon as anyone closes that space he goes into his shell.Just look at when he played with Scholes,the tactic was to get the ball & give it to him to do the work.It's no coincidence that his best game this season was against Palace when Fellaini did the donkey work & kept the Palace midfield busy.Very easy to pop the ball around when nobody tackles you.His game of pass the ball to the other guy was negated last night as Cleverley did another impression of a cardboard cut-out again last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

No
    None of which changes the fact that it took him 3.5 years at United to have success. Moyes therefore deserves the same courtesy imo. Have you forgotten what our great leader asked of all us fans on the old Trafford pitch last May? Did he not ask us all to get behind the new man and give him time? SAF knows how important that is because he got it himself.

Ferguson has proved he can put together a winning team

Moyes hasn't

Fergie practically had to hold the boards hand as he appointed Moyes to succeed him, it's not working. Coulda used to Rooney money to get rid of Moyes

No

And that's what I'm doing. Now in 3.5 years time if things are worse yes I will start to grumble. But until then I will withhold judgement. I will wait for Moyes to build his team in his vision and then judge him accordingly. And not judge him based on a team that he didn't construct. A team with quite a few members who know they're for the chop in the summer. How anyone can pass final judgement on Moyes with a team that isn't his, is beyond me. Excluding my early childhood years, I waited 15 years to see United win the league again back in 1993. So I remember those painful barren years well.

Thankfully, that experience and those memories made me a realist and it gives me some perspective on where we are right now. Too many fans only remember the Ferguson era, so I suspect a few have been too spoiled by this.The natural growing pains and winds of transition doesn't sit well with some. Well time to suck it up and accept it, because no man was going to step into the biggest shoes in football without any hiccups.

Perhaps people are now finally seeing that we have no right to continued success. And that's what SAF gave us for 2 decades, but he was given the time to do it. We will never see his like again, after all he was the GOAT. So any man that followed in his footsteps was always going to be given a thankless task. But I never thought I'd see a Mutiny on the Bounty style reaction so quickly from some fans.

I mean when you seriously think about it, 8 months into a job. What has happened? Have some fans turned into City or Chelsea supporters? Everyone wants the cum shot but forgets about the foreplay. Let the man build his own team first for Christ's sake. Each to their own though, but personally I'll never forget the tough graft it was being a United fan before SAF came along.

Big Ron's 2 FA cup wins in '83' and '85' were the height of the glory years for me. I loved big Ron and then this dour Scot came along, took over and I hated it. Yes I stood by him but after 3.5 years of nothing, I just about had enough when a dramatic Lee Martin goal changed everything. Right now I'm operating on that, now throw in the wishes of what SAF wanted me to do as a fan and I have no problem sticking by our new man. It's the least he deserves from us imo.

Why does he deserve it? what has he done to deserve it?

because ferguson told you to get behind him?

is ferguson infallible? what other managerial appointments has he made or recommended in the past? MacLeish for villa was one he had recommended.

can't you grasp the ****ing difference between ferguson taking over in 1986 to Moyes taking over in 2013?

you say it's about the foreplay, wtf that means idk, but look at his ****ing foreplay. He's style is to be hard to beat. That is not manchester united. Are you..

I'm off to punch a ****ing wall tbh. This is just beyond ****ing retarded.

Probably gonna get slaughtered but I still believe Carrick is the most cowardly player we have,as a senior player he has a responsibility to help drive the team from midfield but once again showed that when put under any modicum of pressure he goes into hiding.This is magnified when he has somebody as useless as Cleverley playing alongside him so has no out ball when he panics under said pressure & wants to get rid of it as if it was an explosive device.

It's easy for him to pop around passes when the opposition stand off him but as soon as anyone closes that space he goes into his shell.Just look at when he played with Scholes,the tactic was to get the ball & give it to him to do the work.It's no coincidence that his best game this season was against Palace when Fellaini did the donkey work & kept the Palace midfield busy.Very easy to pop the ball around when nobody tackles you.His game of pass the ball to the other guy was negated last night as Cleverley did another impression of a cardboard cut-out again last night.

Now, fair enough, Carrick had an abysmal game, but of all the things wrong with the team, he is not the one to be focusing on.

Of the players selected last night, only De Gea, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Rooney, RVP are the players I would count as our first choice players, that actually were set out to play in their correct positions. The problem is the other 50% of outfield players that are simply not good enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

No
    United could score 3 against this team at OT. I wouldnt count on not conceeding though. Its hard to have to press forward and not leave spaces at the back. Its still possible, but tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I read this short summary of this seasons style on the Guardian, its the best summary of our wide tactics differing from last seasons so far

Thats a perfect description of what is wrong with the current style.

Uniteds wing play would come with the opposition on the back foot.. not feet firmly planted waiting for valencia's 'drilled' crosses to come in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    None of which changes the fact that it took him 3.5 years at United to have success. Moyes therefore deserves the same courtesy imo.

I'm genuinely sorry, cause you've obviously spent some time writing out that post. But honestly, I simply have to stop reading as soon as someone argues that Moyes DESERVES anything.

Why?

Because 95% of the people who use that word then go on to explain why he deserves time without actually giving a reason why he, as a manager, actually warrants such a massive leap of faith. Time and again, people tell me he deserves time, but can't actually give examples of what makes Moyes has done to convince to put the trust into him.

The examples are typically ones which are massively out of touch with modern football, are discussions about the club as opposed to the manager and which ignore how he has actually preformed so far in the job.

Ultimately, Moyes DESERVES sweet **** all at the moment. You can say we aren't "that" type of club, but that doesn't excuse the fact the man has drastically underpreformed at Man United and has done nothing himself to warrant the blind loyalty that some show him in their bid to be "real fans".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I've been very disappointed with this season. I think it would have been similarly difficult for anyone coming in and we could be talking about how Jose has walked out after a bust up with someone. If at the start of next season there isn't a clear tactical philosophy from the ground up beginning to be executed at the club then I'll be the first to jump on the anti-Moyes bandwagon. Looking at his previous job he has the mentality to do this and Fellaini and Mata are a step in the right direction. I think his problem is that he refuses to make any changes as a stop gap so wouldn't sign someone for a short period in January. It's all about this Summer, that's when my real judgement will start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

No
    United could score 3 against this team at OT. I wouldnt count on not conceeding though. Its hard to have to press forward and not leave spaces at the back. Its still possible, but tough.

If they score we'll need 4.

• Advertisement

v3ttel wrote: »
    Now, fair enough, Carrick had an abysmal game, but of all the things wrong with the team, he is not the one to be focusing on.

Of the players selected last night, only De Gea, Vidic, Evra, Carrick, Rooney, RVP are the players I would count as our first choice players, that actually were set out to play in their correct positions. The problem is the other 50% of outfield players that are simply not good enough.

When we have this slow,zombie play his style only serves to slow it down even more.Plus he has the appalling habit of going missing when under pressure.I'll save Cleverley from this as he hasn't turned up in the first place.
    Our traditional play has been attack with pace,but that's been dying a death for about 2 seasons now and mixed with Moye's bizzarre tactics the chickens have come home to roost big time.
    Can anyone recall the last time we tore into a team with speed,dynamism & movement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I though Carrick possibly had a go at cleverley in his interview last night. Basically said something like 'we needed to start second half well but immediately were very sloppy'. Within 20s of second half cleverley overhit and misplaced two passbacks - to vidic and then to ferdinand who was being closed down by two players.. almost gave away an instant goal. Both passes backwards with nobody within 2 metres of him.
    He's so far away from a united player its incredible. Yet.. its not his fault.. he's not the one picking the team.

Moyes in his interview - 'the good thing is we're only two goals down'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Olympiakos tired badly in the last 15 minutes. If the same happens at OT then I wouldn't discount a United team firing on all cylinders putting them to the sword and turning over the tie. But of course that would require good management and good motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

No
    Olympiakos tired badly in the last 15 minutes. If the same happens at OT then I wouldn't discount a United team firing on all cylinders putting them to the sword and turning over the tie. But of course that would require good management and good motivation.

This team under this management is not capable of putting a team to the sword in the last 15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Moyes needs more time.

No

this united side are at it's worst in the last 15 minutes of games.

we're out. for the best anyway, we were outclassed by the worst side left in the competition. A side like PSG would slap us about home and away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

No
    Lot of minor bull**** rumours going around NYSE about Moyes stepping down.....One can only hope, but he won't go before seasons end.

When we have this slow,zombie play his style only serves to slow it down even more.Plus he has the appalling habit of going missing when under pressure.I'll save Cleverley from this as he hasn't turned up in the first place.

Sorry, but this is absolute bollocks. He is the one member of the midfield we picked last night that is capable of playing CL standard football. What exactly was he slowing down? The rate at which Cleverley gave away the ball? Valencia's predictable and uninspiring wing play? Young's ineffectiveness?

Seriously, if you think that Michael Carrick is this teams biggest concern, you need to have a word with yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    Irishcrx wrote: »
    Smalling - Can't pass a ball ,I've seen players on a wet saturday in St.Annes pass better than him , absolutly cannot cross and has no business as a RB or going beyond the half way line.

Smalling is the type of player that is being hung out to dry by the Moyes regime.

He is a ****ing central defender. I'd like to see Rio or Vidic playing full back and having to be the teams biggest attacking outlet, how do you think that would work out? Smalling should be spending all his time at centre half, instead he is tasked with trying to interlink with Valencia and provide pinpoint crosses for Van Persie. Thats just doing wonders for his development isn't it.

He is a centre half, yet here he is getting abuse about his crossing. No wonder his confidence is shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

Rumours a plenty on Twitter that Moyes will be gone today.

No
    Odds are falling through the floor on Moyes to be next manager sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

We might be able to make some money out of this mess..

was Van Gaal ever linked with the Utd job?

as Utd fans would you say he would ever be on the radar when it comes to a possible replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Moyes is going no where lads. Speculating about it is a waste of time. Odds can fall through all the floors they want but Moyes is our long term gaffer

No
    Moyes is going no where lads. Speculating about it is a waste of time. Odds can fall through all the floors they want but Moyes is our long term gaffer

comical.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Giruilla wrote: »
    Thats a perfect description of what is wrong with the current style.

Uniteds wing play would come with the opposition on the back foot.. not feet firmly planted waiting for valencia's 'drilled' crosses to come in.

Its clear to see that Moyes has no faith in our MF pair of Clev and Carrick to create anything in the centre. As soon as they get it the ball it goes wide, Rooney has to drop very deep to collect.

Fellaini was pushing through the lines and trying to create on Saturday, he was clearly instructed to get high in the opposition half. Moyes has no faith in Clev and Carrick to do this. Why bloody play them and drop Fellaini then?

As a result we are the easiest team to defend and counter.

Clev will pass it to our wingers or wingbacks very early, they will recieve the ball about halfway between the halfway line ond the edge of our box. Now our wingback is faced with the task of

A) taking on and trying to beat a player with the ball in his own half
    b) working a one two with a winger and trying to get into a crossing position

option a works the least and usually ends up with us being attcked
    option b works 60% of the time if the interplay is good with defender and winger but its too easy to defend from the oppositions MF

The oppositions wide and MF players can come across and go 2V2 or 3v2 while the defence gets ready for the cross.

Before our MF would get the ball from defence and either play off the wingers or fullbacks to get the ball back in the oppositons half and then work a move wide or centerally. The key differnce was being in the attacking third before sending the ball out wide. The opposition players would be worried about this threat and the wingers had more time and space when they got the ball in attacking areas.

Right now our MF play consists of get it early in your own half and put pressure on our wingers by asking too much of them

As bad as Young and Val are playing its clear they are under more pressure with this style. Carrick and Clev are trying less forward play than ever.

Clev really annoyed me when he gave the ball away for the second goal and didn't even try to track back, he let Carrick do it and didn't get back into a defensive position.

Even with tactics as one dimensional as that he still managed to fcuk it up. He attempted 42 passes and made about 34. All of them sideways and backwards, some of his backwards passes were intercepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    Please jebus, let the rumours be true, please jebus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

No
    Lads, I've a cunning plan.

What if we put our entire transfer budget on Moyes being the next manager sacked then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Guillem Balague says its horse feathers, something that originated on Wall Street (as shareholders would need to be informed first I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Leftist wrote: »
    Why does he deserve it? what has he done to deserve it?

You obviously missed the 3.5 years bit in my last post. That’s the length of time SAF was granted, so Moyes should be extended the same courtesy imo.
    because ferguson told you to get behind him?

You catch on fast don’t you. Yes that’s part of it, but it’s also myself applying a little bit of cop on and realism based on the barren years we endured in the past.
    is ferguson infallible? what other managerial appointments has he made or recommended in the past? MacLeish for villa was one he had recommended.

Apart from yourself who else mentioned that SAF was infallible? Did I not previously mention Lee Martin's goal? and do you know why that was? Well it was to point out that SAF didn't start his reign in glory. He had 3.5 trophyless years and it's quite possible that if we had of lost that FA cup replay. Then our history and destiny may have been very different.
    can't you grasp the ****ing difference between ferguson taking over in 1986 to Moyes taking over in 2013?
    I can but you obviously can’t. The difference being back in 1986 United fans were a patient bunch, with realistic expectations. Today? Well today in 2013, the only difference I see is a bloated spoiled rotten brigade. A brigade who appear to have only known success. A dose of reality will do them no harm imo.
    you say it's about the foreplay, wtf that means idk,
    Looks like that went right over your head. I’ll make it clearer for you. Some fans want success right now, they want instant gratification hence my reference to cum shot. The foreplay comments refers to the actual effort you need to put in, in order to obtain the gratification/success.
    I'm off to punch a ****ing wall tbh. This is just beyond ****ing retarded.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Personally I wouldn’t go so far as to call you that, it is only a sport after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Good news - #MUFC source: David Moyes has not been sacked, he has Alex Ferguson full backing. Review meeting is planned in June with CEO & Ferguson.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement