Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    These lads are on 50k+ a week.

The money they are paid does not change the fact that they are human beings. Confuse and intimidate anybody for long enough and they will start to perform poorly. Money doesn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

adox wrote: »
    Keane conveniently forgot to apportion blame to the manager last night if I remember correctly. I'm all for people calling players out for under performing but, and I'd have to watch it again to be sure, my take on it was it was another cheap shot at Ferguson, blaming him for leaving that squad to Moyes.
    If I remember correctly he said it isn't Moyes fault and the player have to take the blame - he also said we need 6 players to return to being a force ... on both I agree with him fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    irishfeen wrote: »
    If I remember correctly he said it isn't Moyes fault and the player have to take the blame - he also said we need 6 players to return to being a force ... on both I agree with him fully.

You honestly think last nights performance wasn't largely Moyes fault? :confused:

I am speechless at this stage.

No
    Have to disagree. Some of the players are clearly not trying hard enough. As poor as Moyes has been some of the players must shoulder it too.

Evra, Clev, Young, Val, Rio have all been shocking. You can say Moyes should have replaced Evra but a player on the pitch not trying enough is not something I would excuse because he could have been replaced.

If a player knows its his last season or competition was going to be brought he still needs to give it his all. He still gets a wage and owes the club for previous years.

If Clev wasn't picked in MF last night we may not have been as poor? true, but Clev gives the ball away and doesn't try to defend his error, he didn't even try to track the player and we are two down. Moments like that are on the players. Moyes is hardly telling to try lads, you know, if you can be bothered.

Other than DDG, the entire squad have drastically under performed this season. When an entire squad under performs for two thirds of a season then there is obviously a problem beyond the players just not trying hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

You honestly think last nights performance wasn't largely Moyes fault? :confused:

I am speechless at this stage.
    Its as much Moyes fault as the players ... these are Manchester United players, it doesn't matter who is manager - you still always try you best for your club.

No
    I love how the fact that the summer is now in sight means the excuses have turned from "we had a tough start" and "x or y player has been injured" to "players know they'll be off in the summer so they aren't trying any more."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Usually I agree with that but in this case no - how the fcuk could Moyes have known the mess we find ourselves in - uninterested players who know in the summer they will be out anyway. They don't even seem too bothered about humiliating themselves and the club in England or Europe, 6/7 of the players who started last night know fully well their time at United has come to an end.

I agree with you there. Watching last nights 'performance', I just got the feeling some of those guys on the pitch didn't particularly give a fúck. Regardless of whether tactics or team selection was right or wrong. You expect to see a 100% effort from a United team. Christ if the obscene amount of money these guys are on isn't motivation enough, then what does it take? I didn't agree with some of the team selection last night and that's obviously on Moyes. But for most of the team to put in a such a gutless performance like they did. Well that has to be on them, unless of course they're expecting their hands to be held on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,591 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No
    Its as much Moyes fault as the players ... these are Manchester United players, it doesn't matter who is manager - you still always try you best for your club.
    You're kind of contradicting yourself alot here, not making the most coherent of arguments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah I definitly don't want to be in the place of where Liverpool fans were for years, their only "glory" is if they beat us, or if United had a slip.

I have spent years hanging around or knowing Liverpool fans who would celebrate a United defeat as much or more than a Liverpool win. One in particular who would back against United every week throwing away money. In fairness to him he has backed against United all season and is wiping his arse with fifty's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Just heard there on the radio that the New York stock exchange has said moyes has stepped down...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    You can blame players to an extent, and they deserve a large share of the blame.

But ultimately, Moyes exudes negativity so it's not a huge shock that spreads to the players. Some players know no matter how bad they play, they can keep getting shots, while others rot away on the bench. The way he talks to the press, the tactics he sets them out to play....it's all negative.

People go on about how much better Fergie was; a huge part of that was a positive mindset. If Moyes wants players playing better, then step one is to get more positive.

But that might be too little, too late....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

No
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    Just heard there on the radio that the New York stock exchange has said moyes has stepped down...

Rumours, been debunked

No
    MrMac84 wrote: »

What station, what show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What a load of tripe. Moyes is picking these players who have constantly been poor all season. Valencia and Cleverley have been hopeless all season and Young has been average. He for the first time Saturday adopted a different style of play which worked well. He could have done the same last night putting Kagawa in for Mata while Fellaini and Janjuaz played instead of Cleverley and Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    Still behind Moyes here - (don't eat the head off me) :pac: ... I honestly think he is becoming a scapegoat of the players not performing. We have some very average players, players well past their prime and players who never deserved to wear the united shirt in the first place.

I do though think if we loose to Liverpool, don't claw back last nights result and loose to City then he could very well be gone - I really hope not though.

I think the players performance has become a scapegoat for Moyes. He's the one who keeps selecting players who are underperforming and playing shocking negative tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I think this guy started the NYSE talk:
    Market talk on the New York stock exchange that Moyes is to leave Man Utd by mutual consent

6 hours ago | February 26th, 2014 11:12:58 GMT by Miles Eakers | 52

I will post more when I hear more.

Update 12.58: At the moment the rumours are still unconfirmed. They’ve come from trading desks in the US and are probably not having the same effect over there than they do here in the UK. Until I get further confirmation we should just treat them like all market chatter.

ForExLive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Really good post, and it makes me sit back and go " wow, why do you bother defending this guy"

And it becomes even harder and harder to find the positives and put any sort of case of defence together.

If I'm honest in my heart while it's somewhat easy for me to keep mentioning various things, and wait until the summer, if things continue to go the way they are with bad performances and the likes, I won't have a defence left.

I was much more stand hearty earlier in the year, before the christmas period. That's when I thought we would make ground. I've been conflicted since then but felt I needed to stick with my gut.

But a part of me feels it won't be long before I'll have to concede and join the calls for his removal. It's not pigheaded-ness on my behalf, and like I said not out of some pure mentalness, it's just trying to find/make sense out of what has been on reflection, chaos.
    portcrap wrote: »
    This.

Absolutely agree. Im in the same boat. Starting to feel like a creationist arguing with richard dawkins, relying completely on blind faith, with increasingly little evidence to back up why i think moyes is the man for the job.

Add me to this group too! Pretty much exacltly what I'm feeling about the whole situation....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    I hate when get hopes up only to be dashed:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No
    We're going to get a lot these false hope stories of him stepping down/sacked until the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

No
    user2011 wrote: »
    We're going to get a lot these false hope stories of him stepping down/sacked until the end of the season.

At which point the board gives him a vote of confidence and a contract extension :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Give us a fright there lads, no more of this hasty moyes out talk now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    At which point the board gives him a vote of confidence and a contract extension :pac:

Please don't joke about that, we are already on nightmare ground now that would be to a whole different level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

No
    Season ticket holders have been issued with this email from the club.

"The deadline to buy your ticket for Olympiacos FC is Wednesday 26th February 2014 at 8pm,". "Please note that not buying this ticket will result in your Season Ticket being suspended for the Manchester City game.

"We look forward to hearing from your shortly."

http://www.givemesport.com/435852-loyal-manchester-united-fans-threatened-with-ticket-ultimatum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    Season ticket holders have been issued with this email from the club.

"The deadline to buy your ticket for Olympiacos FC is Wednesday 26th February 2014 at 8pm,". "Please note that not buying this ticket will result in your Season Ticket being suspended for the Manchester City game.

"We look forward to hearing from your shortly."

http://www.givemesport.com/435852-loyal-manchester-united-fans-threatened-with-ticket-ultimatum

We have a few season ticket holders here. To those that have one, is this true? If so I think its disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

No
    Wow. Basically 'support us or be punished'. Terribly worded by the ticket office.

No
    KH25 wrote: »
    We have a few season ticket holders here. To those that have one, is this true? If so I think its disgraceful.

Just found it odd myself when I heard it, wanted to see what you guys think of it. Very unfair it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

Usually I agree with that but in this case no - how the fcuk could Moyes have known the mess we find ourselves in - uninterested players who know in the summer they will be out anyway. They don't even seem too bothered about humiliating themselves and the club in England or Europe, 6/7 of the players who started last night know fully well their time at United has come to an end.[/QUOTE

True. They had no fight last night. A group of Sunday league players would have showed more heart. Just because we beat Palace away in a mickey mouse league game people were getting confident that we were back to our best. Absolute crap talk. A major clean up off the squad is need in the summer and if results continue as they are they should sack Moyes and ask Fergie to take over until the end of the season. About 6 players need to leave this summer as their not fit to wear the United jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No
    That's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Pro. F wrote: »
    Other than DDG, the entire squad have drastically under performed this season. When an entire squad under performs for two thirds of a season then there is obviously a problem beyond the players just not trying hard enough.

Rooney, Januzaj, Vidic Rvp and Welbeck (to an extent) have done well and show heart
    I love how the fact that the summer is now in sight means the excuses have turned from "we had a tough start" and "x or y player has been injured" to "players know they'll be off in the summer so they aren't trying any more."

Who said this? Its clear some players haven't been giving it their all since day one and they are a disgrace for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

This team does not need to be shouted at. The problems this season are not because of lack of effort, commitment, character or skill. The problems are caused by an extremely over rated manager being allowed to implement his negative and inappropriate strategy and tactics on a team who are under pressure to be winning regularly.

bollocks, the lack of effort is there for anyone to see even men with white sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

n32 wrote: »
    That is utter nonsense. Fergie inherited a club that was going nowhere and had been starved of success.

Fergie didnt inherit a team with the quality of Van Persie & Rooney and certainly didnt have the equalivent of £70 million to spend in his first season

zerks wrote: »
    Another misleading stat,Fergie took over a team of boozers and chronic underachievers then cleared the decks to build an empire.Moyes took over the Champions & is turning them into a mid-table shambles.

He took over a team that had finished 2nd the previous season.
    Was choc bloc full of internationals including the England Captain.
    Had 3 future PFA players of the year.

I will grant ye had a pretty bad culture at the club and he needed to dismantle that team. But to suggest they where a rubbish team is just Horlicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Part of the t&c's. Buy the cup ticket or risk being shut out of a home league game.

The match day ticket revenue is becoming less important with increase in the other revenue streams.

Having a full OT for every game, especially the European ones which have wider audiences, is a big selling point for the marketing team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

No
    He was Ferguson on the pitch. He knew what the manager would accept and what he would not, and also what was acceptable by his own standards. It's a rare and wonderful thing when a squad has that.

Not easily replaceable.

He's never been replaced, best midfielder ever IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

That season ticket thing is a joke, surely people who paid for those are píssed

I'd love to know what Fergie and Charlton think about what's going on now, surely they realise they've made a mistake

No
    148oktj.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    scudzilla wrote: »
    He's never been replaced, best midfielder ever IMO

Robson for me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No
    You have no option for Cl games when you purchase a season ticket. That I understand if people aren't paying.

No
    Part of the t&c's. Buy the cup ticket or risk being shut out of a home league game.

The match day ticket revenue is becoming less important with increase in the other revenue streams.

Having a full OT for every game, especially the European ones which have wider audiences, is a big selling point for the marketing team.

Its not right tho. Fans shouldn't be punished for not attending a cup game, they bought there season ticket for the league so should be entitled to go to every game without any threats of a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

No
    Robson for me. :)

Close but too injury prone, that shoulder of his seemed like it was held on by sellotape at times

• Advertisement

BBC Radio 5 live ‏@bbc5live 4m

Man U have told the BBC that "nothing's changed" Moyes will stay their manager @ManUtd what are your thoughts?

No
    KH25 wrote: »
    I can understand the reasoning, although it is something that would have to be specified in advance of buying the season ticket. There are ****loads of people out there who would love to get a United season ticket. Makes sense to sell them to the ones who are willing to pay for ALL the games from a commercial perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

No
    CSF wrote: »
    I can understand the reasoning, although it is something that would have to be specified in advance of buying the season ticket. There are ****loads of people out there who would love to get a United season ticket. Makes sense to sell them to the ones who are willing to pay for ALL the games from a commercial perspective.

People on the tweet machine seem to be suggesting this is always the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

That season ticket thing is a joke, surely people who paid for those are píssed

I'd love to know what Fergie and Charlton think about what's going on now, surely they realise they've made a mistake

I'm a season ticket holder and don't mind the club sending mails to those who have not paid as the deadline to have paid for the Olympiakos game was a week ago.

I do have a major issue having to pay full price for Europa league tickets if we actually qualify not acceptable being forced to spend £50 a ticket for a competition that no one wants to see us play in.

No
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    People on the tweet machine seem to be suggesting this is always the case?
    No idea. I've only ever been a season ticket holder at a LOI club where naturally they're in a lot weaker a bargaining position to tell us what we need to do to qualify for a season ticket. It seems logical though. If you can get people to pay for 25ish games a season or pay for 19, a massively commercial entity like Manchester United is almost obliged to go for the people who will pay for all 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

collie0708 wrote: »
    I'm a season ticket holder and don't mind the club sending mails to those who have not paid as the deadline to have paid for the Olympiakos game was a week ago.

I do have a major issue having to pay full price for Europa league tickets if we actually qualify not acceptable being forced to spend £50 a ticket for a competition that no one wants to see us play in.

Did you get a similar message to the one posted Collie?

• Advertisement

No
    collie0708 wrote: »

Surely prices would be reduced for Europa League fixtures. I can't see any compulsion being removed though, there will still be people willing to pay for the full package. It is Manchester United.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Did you get a similar message to the one posted Collie?

No the only season ticket holders that would have got that mail where those who had failed to pay for there cup ticket on time. 98% of season ticket holders would not have received that mail as the money would have automatically been debited from there account last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

In ideal world I would agree.

The problem though is this...

what happens if Fergie gets results. say we win second leg 3-0 and Fergie gets us 4th.(I did say ideal world;))

then huge pressure all of sudden is on new manger. Actually the fans will want Fergie to stay. Now of course whats wrong with getting CL football. I just think now Fergie is gone and he should not come back.

We need to look forward. Get a manager who is going to bring us forward. Going back to Fergie imo will make other managers shy away from job as they will feel that they will always be looked down upon because of what he did.

It's all been part of a master plan by Fergie to get the owners to release funds. He choose Moyes because he knew he'd f*ck up. Gets to come back and be the knight in shining armour, Glazers realise how great he is and how much he saved them over the years. Release a flood of money to entice him to stay. He buys 5 top players and wins the CL for the next four years. Goes out on his shield on the last day of the 17/18 season having reclaimed the treble!

I wish.

CSF wrote: »
    Surely prices would be reduced for Europa League fixtures. I can't see any compulsion being removed though, there will still be people willing to pay for the full package. It is Manchester United.

I rang the ticket office last week and they confirmed that should we qualify for the Europa league it would be part of the automatic cup renewal scheme and that the prices would not be discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    It's all been part of a master plan by Fergie to get the owners to release funds. He choose Moyes because he knew he'd f*ck up. Gets to come back and be the knight in shining armour, Glazers realise how great he is and how much he saved them over the years. Release a flood of money to entice him to stay. He buys 5 top players and wins the CL for the next four years. Goes out on his shield on the last day of the 17/18 season having reclaimed the treble!

I wish.

I will bet Ferguson would love that scenario as well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement