Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Yep, there is absolutely no way we're dropping points, never mind losing, to Fulham this weekend. It'll be a boringly comfortable 2-0 win which means nothing since we'll have Arsenal away a few days after it.

God damn you, Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    I really don't think his job is as safe as some of you believe. The board gave him a target of top 4 this year. If it's looking like he won't reach that target and is losing what should be easy games consistently then he has a lot to answer for.

Not making the champions league would be a loss of at least £50m to the club with the additional strains of keeping players and signing players. It would be far cheaper to get rid of Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    I've been youtubing Jurgen Klopp interviews and the man is gas. If he ever became United manager I'd be delighted just for the laugh you'd get out of him.

He couldn't be worse than Moyes either.

With the Dortmund team being dismantled around him he may end up somewhere else after this Summer. It can't be easy to have all your best players sold from under ya. Just hope if Moyes is sacked in the next year or so that he is in the running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

BloodBath wrote: »
    I really don't think his job is as safe as some of you believe. The board gave him a target of top 4 this year.

Link ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Not making the champions league would be a loss of at least £50m to the club with the additional strains of keeping players and signing players. It would be far cheaper to get rid of Moyes.

The club can easily absorb the loss of £50m for one season. Financially, it is not as big a deal as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

I really don't think his job is as safe as some of you believe. The board gave him a target of top 4 this year. If it's looking like he won't reach that target and is losing what should be easy games consistently then he has a lot to answer for.

Moyes is going no where, even if we finish 8th or 9th 15 points off 4th. He will be there at the begining of next season no matter how we finish this season. Now if he was to start off poorly again next season then im sure it would be under threat. We assume his minimum target this season was top 4 but we dont know what his targets were. Its expected that United finish top 4, in the history of the Premier League we have never finished lower than 3rd. The club is prepared to miss out on Champions League football though, its not a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

yabadabado wrote: »
    Link ?

he's on the board duh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Its such and Irish/British attitude to have tbh. Going out drinking during the season should be 100% frowned upon. Proper top class athletes these days understand the effect that consuming alcohol has on the body. Its not about whether you can get away with it, its about maximising your athletic potential. To do this requires discipline.

Now i don't know the ins and outs of whether these claims about Welbeck and Cleverly are even true or not but it's something i feel quite strongly about.

You won't see the top athletes in the world out on the p*ss during their season. Calvin Johnson, Lebron, Bolt, Ronaldo etc would never be caught out "on the lash".

Agreed, drink isn't the be all and end all there are plenty of alternatives but this is the culture we live in were social events take place in pubs and clubs 99% of the time.

Ronaldo doesn't drink and Bolt loves his BigMac's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Link ?

Do you seriously need a link for that. What do you think they said our aim is a mid table finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

ericzeking wrote: »
    Re the drinking, I've nothing against it and it's their personal choice and I imagine the club has rules around it, but if you were a pro footballer with the money and luxury they have would you really be bothered with the pub?

With that cash you could have your house kitted out to the nth degree, you'd have flash cars and you could have so much Totti hanging off you that pints of Heineken would be the last thing on your mind... at least one would have thought

Haha, sometimes it's not about the alcohol but simply about the atmosphere that you get, I personally prefer having a few with my mates in the house and slagging the living daylights out of each other but others prefer the pub.

• Advertisement

No
    Haha ok. I shouldn't have stated that as fact but it's reasonable to assume.

He's most likely going to get to the summer at least. If he can't get top 4 with the team he has for the second half of the season though he should go.

With the players he's been chasing though I would like to see the finished product but can he get the most out of them?

Is he the tactical genius that Jose is? It's pretty obvious that he's not at this stage.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Do you seriously need a link for that. What do you think they said our aim is a mid table finish.

I have no idea what the board said was the aim for the season and I would doubt anyone posting here would know the targets Moyes was set.

Thats the reason I looked for a link because I am not aware of anyone from the club having publicly outlined the clubs aims for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

GSPfan wrote: »
    I've been youtubing Jurgen Klopp interviews and the man is gas. If he ever became United manager I'd be delighted just for the laugh you'd get out of him.

He couldn't be worse than Moyes either.

With the Dortmund team being dismantled around him he may end up somewhere else after this Summer. It can't be easy to have all your best players sold from under ya. Just hope if Moyes is sacked in the next year or so that he is in the running.

Don't know about that in fairness, Klopp did some nice work in January and Aubeymang (spellcheck) getting more game time now and scoring , another two at the weekend. Obviously is replacing Lewandowski.

Dortmund aren't in a position to keep their best players. They are still suffering from their near bankruptcy and need to get the financials of the club in a solid state before mounting year in year out challenges.

Bundesliga isn't as competitive as a lot of people there like to make out. At present it's a Bayern dominated world, until they massively ****up which would let someone slip in. For everyone else its playing second and champions league.

Klopp is in a very comfortable position in that he's not expected to win the title, or champions league. All that **** is a massive bonus. His target is Champions league, to attract new players and continue generating revenue.

Oddly can see him as a potential Arsenal manager in the not too distant future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    Its safe to assume the board wanted champions league at least, there is no way they could have thought that we would go from a league winning team to Hoofball United.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Is Rio just stirring or genuinely daft to be asking this kind of stuff? Either way he most know that he is asking for

https://twitter.com/rioferdy5/status/431051766348931072

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

No
    Is Rio just stirring or genuinely daft to be asking this kind of stuff? Either way he most know that he is asking for it

What an idiot!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Is Rio just stirring or genuinely daft to be asking this kind of stuff? Either way he most know that he is asking for it

I'd go with genuinely daft personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Is Rio just stirring or genuinely daft to be asking this kind of stuff? Either way he most know that he is asking for

You'd nearly say he must've been on the lash to post that at 5 in the morning :pac:

Its safe to assume the board wanted champions league at least, there is no way they could have thought that we would go from a league winning team to Hoofball United.

Of course they knew this was going to happen, sure isn't Fergie on the board and wasn't he protecting his legacy? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No
    of course Rio wants him out, hes barely kicked a ball this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I have no idea what the board said was the aim for the season and I would doubt anyone posting here would know the targets Moyes was set.

Thats the reason I looked for a link because I am not aware of anyone from the club having publicly outlined the clubs aims for the season.

It's called common sense you don't need a link to know the minimum target would have been Champions League football.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    You'd nearly say he must've been on the lash to post that at 5 in the morning :pac:

How he thinks that is a sensible tweet is beyond me. He should quit twitter before he makes a real howler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Wasn't it posted in the last thread that the financial projection for the year was based on a minimum of a 4th place finish.
    I'm sure a couple of posters said at the time that this would likely be the target given to Moyes.

Adamcp898 wrote: »

It was posted at 1.08pm though....
    Am I missing something? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No
    bullvine wrote: »
    of course Rio wants him out, hes barely kicked a ball this year

Mainly because he can barely kick a ball anymore. West Brom game at home was his "Neville at Stoke".

• Advertisement

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Wasn't it posted in the last thread that the financial projection for the year was based on a minimum of a 4th place finish.
    I'm sure a couple of posters said at the time that this would likely be the target given to Moyes.

From November:
    For fiscal 2014, Manchester United continues to expect:
    Revenue to be £420m to £430m.
    Adjusted EBITDA to be £128m to £133m.
    This assumes the team finishes third in the FA Premier League and reaches the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League and the domestic cups

No
    The only way he could make up for not getting top 4 would be winning the champions league.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Rio should focus on trying to get himself back in contention rather and help drag the team back up the table than posting tripe on twitter.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    It's called common sense you don't need a link to know the minimum target would have been Champions League football.

You or me have no idea what the minimum target was and that's why I asked for a link where the boards said top 4.I would hope the board told him to go out and win the league but I have no way of knowing.

From November:

Nearly!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No
    Let's be honest here, if we were asked in July if Moyes should be sacked for failing to make the top 4 while having the team play turgid football with seemingly no improvement in sight, I'm sure the vast majority of us would have said yes.

Not many considered this happening a possibility, which in itself speaks volumes of how bad the situation is. It is beyond worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No
    How he thinks that is a sensible tweet is beyond me. He should quit twitter before he makes a real howler.

That's all he seems to be good for these days,tweeting.

The results are putting enough pressure on Moyes and his team mates as it is,without him adding to it with nonsense tweets.Just giving the rags an excuse to make up a story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

No
    Blatter wrote: »
    Let's be honest here, if we were asked in July if Moyes should be sacked for failing to make the top 4 while having the team play turgid football with seemingly no improvement in sight, I'm sure the vast majority of us would have said yes.

Not many considered this happening a possibility, which in itself speaks volumes of how bad the situation is. It is beyond worst case scenario.

tumblr_lemkdyfPaq1qdoghio1_500.png

Liverpool have Arsenal at home the weekend. Everton have Spurs and Chelsea away in their next three league games. Both teams also have FA cup fixtures coming up.

We need Arsenal to take points off Liverpool and to get something away to Arsenal.

The Liverpool home game and Everton away will be massive.

No
    The Liverpool home game and Everton away will be massive.

Yes a massive disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

No
    What annoys me most is that win, lose, or draw the performance is shíte.

That squad has and still can produce better.

Getting rid of all the back room staff was as big a mistake as any he has made to date.

Rio should never play for United again for 2 reasons

1. Hes not good enough anymore, hes a liabilty
    2. His behaviour & snidey comments as a senoir team member have been disgraceful

Should stay off Twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Al Capwned wrote: »
    It was posted at 1.08pm though....
    Am I missing something? :)

No idea, not on twitter myself but it shows up as 5.08 am under the tweet for me so just assumed that was the posting time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Seeing as it is his birthday:

Bd3Gx-ICUAEqUot.jpg

Kroos
    “Hey guys, in the last few days much has been written - speculation about my future in sports. But you should not believe what is written. The fact is that I am very happy to play at Bayern,”

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/02/05/manchester-united-target-toni-kroos-comments-on-speculation-over/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    Rio should never play for United again for 2 reasons

1. Hes not good enough anymore, hes a liabilty
    2. His behaviour & snidey comments as a senoir team member have been disgraceful

Should stay off Twitter

1. Fair enough. It s an argument.
    2. Are you having a laugh?

No
    It was a loaded question in fairness.

Rio isn't the brightest but he's not that stupid to be asking a question like that with the pressure Moyes is under.

adox wrote: »
    1. Fair enough. It s an argument.
    2. Are you having a laugh?

No. He has now done it 3 times, As a long serving senoir player he should no better, he should be setting an example and supporting the new manager rather than making stupid comments.

These days he is more interested in selling hats & magazines than putting in a good performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    These days he is more interested in selling hats & magazines than putting in a good performance.

not the only 1 though sadly

Yes a massive disappointment.

Jokes aside they are going to be crucial.

Rooney, RVP, Mata, Fellaini will hopefully get some serious game time together and hopefully give us more control.

I know the top three played away to Stoke the other day but, and at the risk of bringing a sh1tstorm down on myself, there were some good points to take from the match

• 62% possession.
    • 347 completed passes (vs 177)
    • 147 attacking 3rd passes, vs 78
    • 19 shots.
    • fouled off the pitch (18 given for; no red card for what looked like a clear decision).
    • 1 fluke deflected goal.
    • 1 worldy strike from Charlie "bloody" Adam.
    • 2 CB injuries before half time.
    • Amazing Begovic save at the death.
    • Having to play football in Stoke in those conditions.
    I'm not blaming bad luck here as we were wasteful. I'm just highlighting some stats to show that the game could have gone our way on another day.

We only have the UCL plus the league left so we need to try and get as settled a first 11 as we possibly can from here until the final day of the season. We have a good chance if we do.

Am I right in saying that was the first loss this season in a game that Rooney and RVP started together this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Mata has made huge difference already.

watched the Stoke again. Giving terrific balls to players only for the usual to **** up.

on another day he would have been the centre of 3-4 goals.

Really deserved to be on winning side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Ah Rio...

He's social media savvey enough to know what response that was going to get.

No
    I really hope so. I thought Moyes had turned a corner there a while back. The football was still **** but we were getting results.

He really has no excuses from this point forward with all of our main players back. It's 100% on him now.

• Advertisement

No
    just realised Fulham game is the super Sunday game

also keep note that it is the 2nd trial of the singing section.

Its in East Stand. Hopefully it works out again and might are permanent move.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement