Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Taking Fergie back would be a disaster.

Moyes is suffering from being the guy that follows Fergie.

Utd will move on from this, either with or without Moyes.

Taking Fergie back would just cause it to happen again. Possibly even worse because the players would just be waiting for Fergie to return yet again.

I said when this appointment was made way way back that it was doomed to failure and that Moyes was actually a smart pick because Utd don't lose too much.

If they got say Klopp, he can now succeed as the man that follows Moyes. He also would have failed as the man that followed Fergie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    I may have misunderstood the situation here. How does a season ticket work? I was under the impression that you need to opt in for tickets for cup games?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

gosplan wrote: »
    Taking Fergie back would be a disaster.

Moyes is suffering from being the guy that follows Fergie.

Utd will move on from this, either with or without Moyes.

Taking Fergie back would just cause it to happen again. Possibly even worse because the players would just be waiting for Fergie to return yet again.

I said when this appointment was made way way back that it was doomed to failure and that Moyes was actually a smart pick because Utd don't lose too much.

If they got say Klopp, he can now succeed as the man that follows Moyes. He also would have failed as the man that followed Fergie though.
    Totally agree - Ferguson returning would be the very worst thing that could happen at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    So come on David Moyes
    Take your p45
    We'll go wild wild WILD!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If Moyes is being sacked before the end of the season we need to bring in a manager known for good attacking and passing football to begin the transition.

Until the summer when the lads can try and get a top manager in. In fairness following Fergie was already a massive task, but rebuilding a club that went out of all cups and finished 7th in the table surely sounds off putting. Mammoth task for the next manager in.

I wonder who makes the decision of next manager in if Moyes is sacked, does Fergie still get the main say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

No
    ST holder...only those people who's cards failed would have received that email.
    For Champions League and FA Cup you have to buy the tickets, no choice. League Cup is optional.
    Obviously they can't charge in advance for Cup as they don't know how many home games there is. So they charge your card/account a few weeks before each game. The 19 league games get charged immediately at season start.
    They are absolutely right to issue that email, if they did. You've already agreed when you buy/renew.
    Now I've heard this email has had the Chinese whisper treatment. People saying if you don't ATTEND the return leg then you won't be able to attend the derby. No that would be BS of the highest order but they wouldn't be able to enforce that.

Anyway....Moyes out :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    Robin van Persie is going to consider his Manchester United future in the summer. [guardian]

Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

KH25 wrote: »
    I may have misunderstood the situation here. How does a season ticket work? I was under the impression that you need to opt in for tickets for cup games?

Part of the terms and conditions of a season ticket is that you have to buy all home cup tickets with the exception of the league cup, but if you opt out of any league cup tickets you are not entitled to apply for away tickets.

So you pay for all your league games in advance and as home cup games are announced the money if taken from your account on a date chosen by the club, they notify individuals when this is by email and texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I will bet Ferguson would love that scenario as well.

Fergie got out at the right time because he knew the team was in decline and he had already created a successful leagacy behind and bowed out on a high winning the PL. I dont think they will sack Moyes in the summer no matter how the rest of the league campaign pans out. I can see them reviewing it in Ocotber/November if results and performances are still ****e after he has been given full backing in the transfer market and has gotten the dreaded vote of confidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Andy Mitten ‏@AndyMitten 27m

Big swing against David Moyes in latest http://uwsonline.com poll. Just 22% wanted him dismissed 3 weeks ago. Risen to 62.8% today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

No
    Lovely.

Did you read the article? It's complete speculation presented as an exclusive, unsurprising considering who it was written by.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/26/robin-van-persie-manchester-united-future?CMP=twt_gu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    Did you read the article? It's complete speculation presented as an exclusive, unsurprising considering who it was written by.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/26/robin-van-persie-manchester-united-future?CMP=twt_gu

Yeah I did, thought the guardian are pretty accurate? they were pretty spot on about Mata and Rooneys contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No

It's not even the result that has turned so many, it's the manner of it.
    We got an easy draw, as good as you could have hoped for, set up not to lose and lost, without really bothering Olympiakos at all.

Almost every time Moyes has picked a team where it's clear he has set up not to lose, we have lost.
    You could think about giving him a chance if there were signs of learning from mistakes but it's just pathetic at this stage.

The glimmer of hope we got from the Palace game just gets wiped out by reverting to type. It's Manchester United ffs, you don't arrive at Olympiakos scared out of your wits of conceding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    Only good thing to come out of last night was roy keanes interview... loves me a bit of keane.... he is well was our commander..... an absolute midfield general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Only good thing to come out of last night was roy keanes interview... loves me a bit of keane.... he is well was our commander..... an absolute midfield general

A man who never went hiding when going got tough

No
    Yeah I did, thought the guardian are pretty accurate? they were pretty spot on about Mata and Rooneys contract.

There's a few journo's there that'd I'd class as good, Daniel Taylor etc. Jamie Jackson isn't one of them imo. It could well prove to be true, but it's still him speculating and presenting it as an exclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

If you were a fan of Manchester United would you want him sacked?

Forget about allegiances. Put the football brain on and if you were a Manchester United fan would you want him sacked?

Can we have one decent football discussion on the forum? Or is that too much to ask?

I think he should be given at least until Christmas next year. Why? He's inherited a fairly poor squad. Cleverley, Valencia, Vidic, Rio, Giggs, Young, Evra etc aren't up to it anymore. I think he needs to rebuild and he has to be given a chance. If he can't get the team playing by Christmas of this year then he should be sacked. This squad obviously needs reinvestment and sacking Moyes now would set a dangerous precedence. If he ultimately fails then at least he will have probably sold a lot of the 'dead-wood' in the squad. If Moyes is sacked now then you leave the new manager with the same problem of having a bunch of overpaid wasters in the squad. At least give him until the Summer and judge him on how he integrates his new signings into the side.

Right now, Moyes has proven nothing at United. He is rightly under pressure but we have to give him a bit of time. If no improvement is made by the start of next season then he probably should go but sacking him now would be a poor decision. Who would replace him?

I'm prepared to stick by him and give him a chance into next season.

Should he walk the plank? Or be given time to rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No

Keano was brutally honest as a player,a trait that some of the current squad are lacking,give 100% no matter how big or small the game was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Thread needs a poll.

EDIT: And yes, He should have been sacked after the draw with Fulham, Shockin result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Not happy with how the team is playing or especially with the results, but Utd have had many ropey performances over the past few years, but did enough through ability and some luck to stay competitive and win trophies. The difference now is that the luck seems to have deserted them, several of their top players are struggling for form at the same time and Utd have lost their fear factor.

What galled the most about last night isn't so much the result, though that was bad, it was that we never pressed and harried the Olympiakos players in possession. Loss of form can happen, so can injuries, but that doesn't stop you pressuring the opposition, tackling like your life depended on it and generally making a nuisance of yourself. The players didn't show that they cared and that is more serious, as Ferguson had instilled a never say die, never surrender mentality in the team and that seems to have been lost.

Having said all that, people are clamouring for a whole raft of new signings in the summer, while at the same time calling for Moyes to go. I'm not sure Moyes is the right man and he wouldn't have been my first choice in the first place, but history(aside perhaps from Chelsea) has shown that teams that keep on firing their managers rarely enjoy success. Also remember that Moyes only signed a six year contract last summer, so if we fire him now we could have to pay him £20m or more; money that we could be using instead to sign new players. I would give him at least one more season and see how it goes.

We already face the challenge of signing world class players without the lure of Champions League football next season, if we start playing musical chairs with the manager, that will make signing new players even tougher still and force us to overpay to compensate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    United fans: Yes.

Non-United fans: No.

Thread needs a poll.

EDIT: And yes, He should have been sacked after the draw with Fulham, Shockin result.

I'm not that quick! Poll added!

No
    Wasn't there one of these done last week? Poll and all.

J. Marston wrote: »

Its not about that and hopefully it doesn't descend into that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

No
    Chelsea fan.

For the pure value of seeing a rival team falling asunder, Moyes should stay.

From a complete football view of should a team sack him, yes, he should go. no question.

EDIT: And for the record, I voted Yes, he should be sacked...

• Advertisement

Wasn't there one of these done last week? Poll and all.

Yes but that was just about David Moyes providing the lolz to all non-United fans. Hopefully this one has a bit more debate to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Wasn't there a similar thread to this a few weeks ago that disappeared from the face the earth? Or maybe it really was just in my mind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

End of the season and judge then. People have talked a lot about the squad he inherited, but he's had 2 transfer windows to address that and hasn't really done so.

I was previously of the opinion that he should be given until Christmas next year, but if there's no improvement shown soon then that's too long to wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

J. Marston wrote: »

I'm a United fan and I don't want him sacked and I haven't heard any ex-United players call for his head either. Fergie obviously doesn't want him gone either.

He's not going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I want him to succeed because I really enjoyed watching his Everton team the past few years since Seamus joined.

He has been bad, and the lack of Shinji is annoying. It wont surprise me if he goes in the next few weeks, but I would like to see him stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Nope he shouldn't be sacked . The team he has now is one that he inherited . Alex ferguson should be taking 50% of the blame for the mess .
    Evra , Rio , Vidic , Cleverly , Giggs , Young , Valencia and Anderson (On loan ). I don't think any of these players would be picked for one of the teams occupying the top four in the premier league .
    The man made 2 signings Mata and Fellani . So it's hard to judge a manager on 2 signings .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

The players he has at his disposal are not up to it, the squad is muck and it has been for a long time. Give him a bit more time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    David Moyes hasn't done a single thing right since he was appointed manager at Manchester United.

Generous grandparents are allowed indulge a grandson who constantly ****s up, but one of the biggest football clubs in the world should be a little more hard-headed. The man is doing terrible, has shown nothing to suggest this will change in the future, and even his staunchest defenders cannot actually articulate why he shouldn't be sacked, at least not beyond some nebulous "United don't sack managers" bull****.

Easiest poll ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    The man made 2 signings Mata and Fellani . So it's hard to judge a manager on 2 signings .

One signing per window. By this rate he will have the squad competitive by 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

No
    Regardless of the team he inherited, regardless of the signings he's made, the apparent tactical ineptness he has shown so far would lead me to believe he should go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Delighted with the performance of Mr Moyes thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

One signing per window. By this rate he will have the squad competitive by 2018.

In fairness to the man you take over man utd you expect to be left with a decent squad and he hasn't been .
    He signed a midfielder man utd where crying out for one . It's not the managers fault Fellani has been injured .
    So he does need time to build his team .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    Rooney, Januzaj, Vidic Rvp and Welbeck (to an extent) have done well and show heart

All of the players except for Evra have shown heart.

I had forgotten about Welbeck and Januzaj. Other than those two (and I don't know yet how much of his ability Januzaj is actually living up to) I would say that all the players you mentioned there have underperformed this season. And they have been our best players.
    Who said this? Its clear some players haven't been giving it their all since day one and they are a disgrace for it

Here's an example. You thanked this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ferguson/Moyes = Busby/McGuinness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

No
    Just out of interest, why do people think he deserves time?
    Also what did people expect him to achieve this year?

His tactics are awful and dated with no real evidence of changing any approach. The football was effective at Everton but not when you need to win games week in week out and win leagues. He has an inability to adapt and choose a style to suit his players, which is a mark of a good coach, getting the best out of what he has.

I mean, he cant get rid of 6/7 first team players, and he's not going to spend hundreds of millions to bring in 5/6 top quality players so he's going to have to work with what he's got to some extent. If he brings in his own plays, honestly how long will it take for him to win a title or challenge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    Complete bollocks.

There's no such thing as luck

And statistically there is no difference in results between teams who sack managers and those that stick with ones.

It's an about finding the right manager and keeping him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    A man who never went hiding when going got tough

He went home instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

GSPfan wrote: »
    He went home instead.
    Boom! he has hit a home run :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He seems flummoxed tactically in every game, if it's down to the personnel you'd think he'd say something in an interview to save his skin because he's going to be sacked.

I like the man, what he achieved at Everton was brilliant. Good manager in the 10-6th range in the premier league. Anything above that is above his level.

United have to get a proven top level manager in after him.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Ferguson/Moyes = Busby/McGuinness

Ferguson/Moyes = Ahern/Cowen

No
    bollocks, the lack of effort is there for anyone to see even men with white sticks.

There was certainly a lack of confidence and a sluggishness about the entire team. That has been evident from day one against Swansea. You think what we are seeing is a lack of effort, I disagree. In fact I think you talking complete bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Much too early to talk of him going. I am a Liverpool fan so hence the LFC references below.

He has been forced into overpaying for Mata by the fans looking for blood. Same way Kenny Daglish was forced to act after Torres leaving and got Carroll. This might be both Moyes and Mata's downfall. If Mata fails to really shine the club and fans will hold it around his neck like a millstone.

If the club can give him plenty of cash and time to rebuild the much depleted squad he will be good. He needs 2 years or 4 transfer windows to fix the Utd mess. The back 4 is long past it's sell by date. The midfield lacks a talisman to pull it together. The front is still a good force that many of us would be happy with.

The biggest issue is falling away from champions league as this will dictate the talent he can bring in. Utd have found themselves in the same position Liverpool found themselves in when Kenny Daglish left the first time. Team past it's sell by date, new manager inherited a poisoned chalice. The damage has taken a very long time to correct. It is up to the owners to invest to save the club from a long fall from grace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

No, hes a top manager

• Advertisement

No
    Keano was brutally honest as a player,a trait that some of the current squad are lacking,give 100% no matter how big or small the game was.

The problem is the manager, not the players.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement