Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

Whats happening at United at the moment (and someone may already have mentioned it on this forum already) reminds me of when you were at school and had a right bollocks of a teacher who although was great at teaching you was a contrary and disciplined oul **** who retired and was replaced by either a substitute teacher or a new graduate and the class went to town on him/her i.e being disruptive and generally acting the mick and not performing.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

No
    I hope this thread is allowed to survive by the mods.

I can only assume they took the last one down.

Like it or not, Moyes and United have been and are the biggest story in English football, maybe European football this season. This deserves discussion. I know we can discuss it in the United thread, but to be quite honest as a Liverpool fan I feel a bit odd giving my opinion in there sometimes. And I can appreciate United fans getting testy when rival fans come in to discuss their problems - I've seen it in the Liverpool thread, rival fan comes in with good intentions and can be reacted to badly if they hold a contrary view.

So it would be good for United fans to feel they haven't been invaded and can talk about other things in their thread, and it would also give other fans a place to talk about the most interesting story of the season.

In answer to the question - he most definitely should be sacked imo. I've said it for a while now, but last night should have confrimed it.

He has been apocalyptically bad. I'd like to go into more detail, but wrote a fairly long post in the last thread before it was taken down, so going to see if this ones still up before giving a fuller opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

No
    I would say the best option would be to get rid of Moyes and have Giggs as interim manager til the end of the season when it will be easier to get a quality manager. Obviously the better option would be to get the new manager in straight away working with the team but that wouldn't be likely at this stage of the season. Neither would gettin rid of Moyes actually ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    Pointless stat but as it stands we will be the only team not to get an away win

Zenit Petersburg 2 - 4 Borussia Dortmund
    Olympiakos 2 - 0 Manchester United
    AC Milan 0 - 1 Atletico Madrid
    Arsenal 0 - 2 Bayern Munich
    Bayer Leverkusen 0 - 4 Paris Saint Germain
    Manchester City 0 - 2 Barcelona
    Galatasaray 0 - 1 Chelsea
    Schalke 04 0 - 4 Real Madrid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Hococop wrote: »
    Pointless stat but as it stands we will be the only team not to get an away win

Zenit Petersburg 2 - 4 Borussia Dortmund
    Olympiakos 2 - 0 Manchester United
    AC Milan 0 - 1 Atletico Madrid
    Arsenal 0 - 2 Bayern Munich
    Bayer Leverkusen 0 - 4 Paris Saint Germain
    Manchester City 0 - 2 Barcelona
    Galatasaray 0 - 1 Chelsea
    Schalke 04 0 - 4 Real Madrid
    Maybe not anymore :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

mewe wrote: »
    I would say the best option would be to get rid of Moyes and have Giggs as interim manager til the end of the season when it will be easier to get a quality manager. Obviously the better option would be to get the new manager in straight away working with the team but that wouldn't be likely at this stage of the season. Neither would gettin rid of Moyes actually ugh

Why Giggs? Has he done his coaching badges?

No
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Maybe not anymore :)

Ron-Burgundy-boy-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Pro. F wrote: »
    Last season he made 8 appearances in the league and the team won it by 11 points. This team are nowhere near as bad as Moyes is making them look.

Did I say they were?

Also wasn't speaking about last year specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

No
    mewe wrote: »

Why Giggs? He's part of both the under-performing playing squad and clueless coaching staff.

Promote Warren Joyce from the U-21s for the remainder of the season. At the moment he's the most successful manager at the club. We're not challenging for anything, we're not fighting relegation. All he has to do is get us playing a bit of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Lads I'm looking for a bit of cheering up...there was a video of all the massive season winning moments on YouTube with Hoppípolla Sigur Rós playing in the background.anyone here wanna throw it up!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

1. All of the players except for Evra have shown heart.

I had forgotten about Welbeck and Januzaj. Other than those two (and I don't know yet how much of his ability Januzaj is actually living up to) I would say that all the players you mentioned there have underperformed this season. And they have been our best players.

Here's an example. You thanked this post.

1. We were talking about giving a fcuk and heart, you mention underpreforming again though. There is a big difference between underperforming wether it be due to lack of confidence or tactics and not giving a toss.

Players should always care and have a good workrate whether they or the team is playing well or not. If you do that the team will get more breaks and start to improve. Players not giving a toss has dropped us lots of points.

Evra seems to not care, late on to Cardiff and Fulham. Clev didn't give a toss to track the player he gifted the ball to last night and he scored, I could go on and on.

Moyes can't force a player to give a sh1t.

2. That point is typically you and lol'worthy. So your reply to me asking "who is now making the excuse the players don't give a toss becasue they now know Moyes is gone in the summer" is to point out a post I thanked?

A post that starts of by saying the buck stops with the manager, the part you bolded in a desperate attempt to make a bs point, here is the full post which agrees with what I was saying
    The buck stops with the manager but the players are alsoBut that is not to excuse the performances or gutless performances of players either.

These lads are on 50k+ a week.

Been disheartened and not having faith in manager is one thing. But actually been a scared chicken is another.

Please, if your going to quote and reply to me don't make up stuff I never said and selectively highlight parts of a post i thanked. Its poor form.

I never said or held the opinion or made the excuse that the players don't give a toss because they know Moyes will be gone in the summer. I have been saying some don't care for a while now.

I won't hold my breath for an apology, given how poorly you tired to move the goal posts just then all i expect is the further straw manning and willingness to drag this argument to its death whilst displaying you usual need to get in the last word as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

No
    Why Giggs? Has he done his coaching badges?
    Chagan wrote: »
    Why Giggs? He's part of both the under-performing playing squad and clueless coaching staff.

Promote Warren Joyce from the U-21s for the remainder of the season. At the moment he's the most successful manager at the club. We're not challenging for anything, we're not fighting relegation. All he has to do is get us playing a bit of football.

I'm pretty sure he has his badges done alright but i'm open to correction. Why Giggs? Because he pretty much knows the club inside out and the players plus the players have huge respect for him. Remember i said an interim manager. Why not Giggs i would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

There was certainly a lack of confidence and a sluggishness about the entire team. That has been evident from day one against Swansea. You think what we are seeing is a lack of effort, I disagree. In fact I think you talking complete bollocks.

You talk it on a daily basis, high and mighty posts with a tone that says ,"Hey look at me, I sit behind a screen but for some reason I think I'm the Messiah" news flash you ain't. Sure you probably still think cleverly should be a nailed on starter.

So its a lack of confidence that stops you pressing in a game...? NO it's ****ing effort or will to do so. We let a GREEK team boss us the entire game and plenty of the players didn't give a ****, it had nothing to do with confidence.

Also what is this sluggishness you speak of, they are professional athletes who get paid more money in a week than people get paid I a llifetime. They have just been away for a 5 day break if anything they should have been all over the pitch, I assume I can substitute sluggishness for effort...

I see people down the local GAA put in more effort than some players last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

He's had an atrocious start and I can fully understand why United fans want him gone. I still think that any manager should be given at least 18 months though, especially one who's proved himself as a decent manager in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    The only thing I'm afraid of is if we get a new manager in the Summer will we have to wait until he draws up transfer targets and assesses the squad like last Summer.

That's a depressing thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

All the more reason to get him in now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

id say real madrid created more chances tonight than man utd have in the last 3-5 games :(

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

No
    He should never have got the job in the first place. If I was a Utd fan I'd want him sacked asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I don't but this "he inherited a bad team" BS. He inherited the league champions, had money to spend and had a team with a good reputation. He's managed to undo all of that in only a few months over 2 transfer windows. He's not the right person for the job and should be sacked. He will not be able to bring in the players that are required. But it's great entertainment for all us non-utd fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Ferguson/Moyes = Ahern/Cowen

What?

More like Mandela to Ahern and/or Cowen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What?

More like Mandela to Ahern and/or Cowen.

The Ahern/Cowen comparison I assume refers to the jumping out of a sinking ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

bangkok wrote: »
    id say real madrid created more chances tonight than man utd have in the last 3-5 games :(

And possibly most other teams in the PL also. 10-0 wouldn't have flattered them and they didn't even break a sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

No
    Poll is a farce, all non United supporters are going to vote no.

He had his chance to turn things around at Christmas and go on a run for the CL, what has happened has been an abomination.

For me top 4 was a minimum requirement this season, United have been out of that race since the end of January. The way he talks to the media and his demeanor on the sideline reeks of fear and no confidence. There's a long list of failures you could write up about his tenure in charge. It just doesn't fit, him and United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

No
    You talk it on a daily basis, high and mighty posts with a tone that says ,"Hey look at me, I sit behind a screen but for some reason I think I'm the Messiah" news flash you ain't. Sure you probably still think cleverly should be a nailed on starter.

So its a lack of confidence that stops you pressing in a game...? NO it's ****ing effort or will to do so. We let a GREEK team boss us the entire game and plenty of the players didn't give a ****, it had nothing to do with confidence.

Also what is this sluggishness you speak of, they are professional athletes who get paid more money in a week than people get paid I a llifetime. They have just been away for a 5 day break if anything they should have been all over the pitch, I assume I can substitute sluggishness for effort...

I see people down the local GAA put in more effort than some players last night.

Absolute nonsense!
    The highest paid player earns what a minimum wage earner earns in 19 years, hardly a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Tweet from Joey Barton to Ollie Holt re vidic:
    @Joey7Barton: @OllieHolt22 rumour he changes in a separate changing room and refuses to be part of group anymore, all down to how contract was handled.

Had heard rumblings of him causing problems behind the scenes.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

No
    Did Gary Neville say anything tonight about last night's performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I don't think top4 should have been considered a minimum requirement. He has arguably the fourth best squad, hence fourth the expectation rather then the minimum requirement in his first season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The man made 2 signings Mata and Fellani . So it's hard to judge a manager on 2 signings .

He's already spent circa £65m and has failed to address areas they actually need to improve on. Regardless of anything else, that's frightening really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No
    It shouldn't even need to be debated much at all imo.

Clear cut sacking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

No
    LiamoSail wrote: »
    I don't think top4 should have been considered a minimum requirement. He has arguably the fourth best squad, hence fourth the expectation rather then the minimum requirement in his first season

United haven't finished outside the top 2 for the last 8 years. Why should they suddenly drop to the level of Everton and Spurs with superior players

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Tweet from Joey Barton to Ollie Holt re vidic:
    @Joey7Barton: @OllieHolt22 rumour he changes in a separate changing room and refuses to be part of group anymore, all down to how contract was handled.

Had heard rumblings of him causing problems behind the scenes.....

Joey Barton said it on Twitter. 100% air tight level of truthiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Paully D wrote: »
    He's already spent circa £65m and has failed to address areas they actually need to improve on. Regardless of anything else, that's frightening really.

CM is an area they need to improve on. Not that Fellaini being injured helped, but his signing was in a position they badly needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Red Crow wrote: »
    Should David Moyes be sacked?

No and I'm a United fan. Now maybe I'm a bit too old school compared to some of my fellow United fans. But I believe in giving the man a chance and 8 months doesn't qualify as a chance in my books. I've never seen so many gutless idiots playing in a United jersey than I did last night. No doubt some suspect it will be P45 time come May. Once he builds his own team and puts his own stamp on it. Then I'll be able to accurately judge him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Absolute nonsense!
    The highest paid player earns what a minimum wage earner earns in 19 years, hardly a lifetime.

Lol of my post that's what you choose to highlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Oh dear. The LAD Bible have opened up on the ticket situation. They think the behaviour displayed by United is shocking, that no club should treat their fans like this and that the whole situation is a disgrace.

I wonder will any other sites go into such intimate detail about this shocking and disgraceful situation? It's a disgrace, Joe. A disgrace.

d81f85a5d6a5686fb148105d6930e968.png

910e7e16178c7d7591cbda6096ede3d7.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    If I was a united fan, yes, definitely. Obviously depends on who's lined up to replace him. But I'd rather get someone decent in now to try and rescue the season and give him the summer to buy some players. I wouldn't let Moyes spend another penny.
    But I'm not a united fan and I'd love to see him finish out this season and next season too. It's the best (and funniest) thing to happen in football in years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No
    A negative with getting someone in now is we could get 5th which leads us to EL next season, I'd rather avoid that at all costs and start afresh. Going for the PL, FA Cup and CC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

user2011 wrote: »
    A negative with getting someone in now is we could get 5th which leads us to EL next season, I'd rather avoid that at all costs and start afresh. Going for the PL, FA Cup and CC.

May be no avoiding it.
    75/80% likely that 6th will get EL as well (if City win the league cup on Sunday).
    Some reasonable scenarios of 7th getting an EL place also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    Just crunching some numbers on players who are leaving and are likely to be leaving in the summer. That's a lot of money freed up. The rough 65m in sales to add to the 100m available for transfers + around 1M a week to spend on wages.

Current Squad
    PLAYER|SALARY|SALE VALUE
    Ben Amos| £10k
    Darren Fletcher|£80k|4
    Anders Lindegaard|£40k
    Ryan Giggs|£75k
    Patrice Evra|£90k
    Rio Ferdinand|£100k
    Nemanja Vidic|£120k
    Juan Mata|£130k
    Nick Powell|£5k
    Chris Smalling|£50k
    Jonny Evans|£65k
    Rafael da Silva|£50k
    Michael Carrick|£80k
    Marouane Fellaini|£125k
    Ashley Young|£90k|14M
    Antonio Valencia|£70k|16M
    Anderson|£75k|5M
    Nani|£90k|16M
    Wilfried Zaha|£35k
    Adnan Januzaj|£40K – £50K
    Tom Cleverley|£40k
    David de Gea|£70k
    Danny Welbeck|£75k
    Phil Jones|£50k
    Javier Hernandez|£75k|16M
    Shinji Kagawa|£80k
    Wayne Rooney|£300k
    Robin van Persie|£200k
    Alexander Buttner|£15k
    SALARY SAVED|865k
    SALES TOTAL|65M

So taking 165M for transfers with 1M a week in wages who would you sign to replace the ones leaving? Get your fantasy football boots on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

nuxxx wrote: »
    United haven't finished outside the top 2 for the last 8 years. Why should they suddenly drop to the level of Everton and Spurs with superior players

The top 4 being more competitive then previously coupled with Ferguson being an exception. With the fourth best squad, fourth should be the expectation IMO.

Obviously there's other elements to consider, but needless to say I'd rate his performance thus far as below the minimum standard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    Go on Rte. Finally a media outlet blaming Moyes

Pity Giles talks ****e as usual

No
    BloodBath wrote: »
    Just crunching some numbers on players who are leaving and are likely to be leaving in the summer. That's a lot of money freed up. The rough 65m in sales to add to the 100m available for transfers + around 1M a week to spend on wages.

Current Squad
    PLAYER|SALARY|SALE VALUE
    Ben Amos| £10k
    Darren Fletcher|£80k|4
    Anders Lindegaard|£40k
    Ryan Giggs|£75k
    Patrice Evra|£90k
    Rio Ferdinand|£100k
    Nemanja Vidic|£120k
    Juan Mata|£130k
    Nick Powell|£5k
    Chris Smalling|£50k
    Jonny Evans|£65k
    Rafael da Silva|£50k
    Michael Carrick|£80k
    Marouane Fellaini|£125k
    Ashley Young|£90k|14M
    Anderson|£75k|5M
    Nani|£90k|16M
    Wilfried Zaha|£35k
    Tom Cleverley|£40k
    David de Gea|£70k
    Danny Welbeck|£75k
    Phil Jones|£50k
    Shinji Kagawa|£80k
    Wayne Rooney|£300k
    Robin van Persie|£200k
    Alexander Buttner|£15k
    SALARY SAVED|865k
    SALES TOTAL|65M

So taking 165M for transfers with 1M a week in wages who would you sign to replace the ones leaving? Get your fantasy football boots on.

whats up with fletcher, never heard anything about him leaving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Nani still injured ya?

No
    Never heard anything on Fletch either but to be honest it's time to move him on. He can't be relied on anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

If someone told me RTÉ would be having this conversation 12 months ago I would have rolled around the ground laughing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    Giles is a thick.

"Moyes came in late and needs time to get his players in".

He knew he was going to United before the end of last season. Irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No
    Giles is making a fool of himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

LiamoSail wrote: »

Really. For what likes to call itself the biggest club in the world (it's not, but that doesn't stop them)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

BloodBath wrote: »

Current Squad
    PLAYER|SALARY|SALE VALUE
    Ben Amos| £10k
    Darren Fletcher|£80k|4
    Anders Lindegaard|£40k
    Ryan Giggs|£75k
    Patrice Evra|£90k
    Rio Ferdinand|£100k
    Nemanja Vidic|£120k
    Juan Mata|£130k
    Nick Powell|£5k
    Chris Smalling|£50k
    Jonny Evans|£65k
    Rafael da Silva|£50k
    Michael Carrick|£80k
    Marouane Fellaini|£125k
    Ashley Young|£90k|14M
    Anderson|£75k|5M
    Nani|£90k|16M
    Wilfried Zaha|£35k
    Tom Cleverley|£40k
    David de Gea|£70k
    Danny Welbeck|£75k
    Phil Jones|£50k
    Shinji Kagawa|£80k
    Wayne Rooney|£300k
    Robin van Persie|£200k
    Alexander Buttner|£15k
    SALARY SAVED|865k
    SALES TOTAL|65M

Agh bloodbath come off it..who's gonna buy fletch for 4 m or pay 14-16m for Nani, Val and Hernandez..and you can add anders lindegaard to sales and butters and kagawa etc....and no bebe or Macheda...ok gonna stop there..
    That's 10 players going out...we're hardly gonna sign 10 more..

No
    You obviously don't pay much attention to the market or what players are being sold for these days.

Those values are as close to accurate as you will get.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement