Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Agree with Gilles on RVP - what he said last night was unforgivable... if he did that under SAF he might not take to the pitch again for United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No
    May be no avoiding it.
    75/80% likely that 6th will get EL as well (if City win the league cup on Sunday).
    Some reasonable scenarios of 7th getting an EL place also.

Just great!!!

Yeah 5/6 points clear of Newcastle and Southampton. Would be expecting Newcastle to drop further behind so the only hope would be Southampton catching us maybe if Moyes completely loses the players it could happen but unlikely.

Moyes out now so, get things rolling for next season :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Giles is a dinosaur, Sadler talking sense what is the stamp? No matter what players are at a managers exposal they make there own mark, Moyes hasn't shown any indication what way he wants to play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    BloodBath wrote: »
    You obviously don't pay much attention to the market or what players are being sold for these days.

Those values are as close to accurate as you will get.

No one will pay those prices for players that are not wanted by a club, who are held in such low regard by the fans and who will likely have to take a step down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

You obviously don't pay much attention to the market or what players are being sold for these days.

Those values are as close to accurate as you will get.

Lad if you think anyone would
    1) buy fletch given his injuries and
    2) pay 4m for him and
    3) he'd leave united

you my friend should be running the club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

No
    Giles talking rubbish. Moyes is showing nothing at all to suggest he should be given time. If he had the team playing the right way but still losing then fair enough, but his tactics are shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Did Giles just call RVP a prat?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

Nani still injured ya?

This is one thing that really annoys me, when players are injured we get this vague description of an injury and not told any timeframe for their return. How long has nani been injured now at this stage? 3 or 4 months maybe? and still as far as im aware there has been nothing said apart from hes injured his hamstring. Was much the same for Van persie when he was out. As if it meant to keep the opposition guessing or something.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Agree with Gilles on RVP - what he said last night was unforgivable... if he did that under SAF he might not take to the pitch again for United.

He wouldn't say or need to say it under fergie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

irishfeen wrote: »

RVP went way to far last night if I was a United fan is be really fcukin pissed undermining players and manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    Look it was a bit of fun. There's obviously going to be some deviation in those numbers. If you're going to nit pick every little thing you disagree with don't bother.

It was a simple game for people to take their mind off of this bull**** Moyes topic that most of us agree on.

How would you spend 165M for transfers and 1M a week wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

People are insulting Giles but Ferguson backs Moyes too.

So I'd like to know do people think Fergie is 'thick', a 'dinosaur', 'a fool'?

Don't forget who chose Moyes and who in his retirement speech asked for fans to get behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Did Giles just call RVP a prat?

He sure did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Look it was a bit of fun. There's obviously going to be some deviation in those numbers. If you're going to nit pick every little thing you disagree with don't bother.

It was a simple game for people to take their mind off of this bull**** Moyes topic that most of us agree on.

Simple
    Sign bloody Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Freddy Adu :pac:

• Advertisement

CR7 ;)

Headshot wrote: »
    He wouldn't say or need to say it under fergie
    As I said earlier - everything at United stays behind closed doors... he choose to break that long held rule and he does look like a prat for doing so... if I were Moyes I would fcuk him right out of it on front of his team mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

mitosis wrote: »
    Really. For what likes to call itself the biggest club in the world (it's not, but that doesn't stop them)?

Reputation is irrelevant if you haven't the quality in the squad. The minimum for the club should obviously be top 4, but reputation alone is irrelevant to that aim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

No
    Publicly Fergie is backing moyes. Privately I'd say he is regretting it big time. I think they're holding on till the summer so they can cancel his contract based on poor performance , rather than sack him now and lose £25m

Don't forget who chose Moyes and who in his retirement speech asked for fans to get behind him.

I highly doubt Fergie expected it to be this bad, He's hardly gonna come out and criticise Moyes now is he.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

No
    A former manager backing another manager to be given time is no surprise regardless of how bat shít crazy Giles sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

No
    Who do people think could replace Moyes?

BTW I don't mean that in the sense that Moyes is irreplaceable! But, who would be viable candidates for the job?

No

What rubbish from you again. Reminds me of you backing Hodgson at pool. You were right then too...

Who do people think could replace Moyes?

BTW I don't mean that in the sense that Moyes is irreplaceable! But, who would be viable candidates for the job?

Trap, We'd create more chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Headshot wrote: »
    What rubbish from you again. Reminds me of you backing Hodgson at pool. You were right then too...

I note you didn't answer my question. I'll ignore the personal remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    1. We were talking about giving a fcuk and heart, you mention underpreforming again though. There is a big difference between underperforming wether it be due to lack of confidence or tactics and not giving a toss.

Players should always care and have a good workrate whether they or the team is playing well or not. If you do that the team will get more breaks and start to improve. Players not giving a toss has dropped us lots of points.

Evra seems to not care, late on to Cardiff and Fulham. Clev didn't give a toss to track the player he gifted the ball to last night and he scored, I could go on and on.

Moyes can't force a player to give a sh1t.

I agree there is a difference between not trying and under performing. However, I think that under performing can be mistaken for not trying and I think that is what is happening here.

When a manager trains a team badly and sends them out with poor tactics based on an inappropriate strategy, I think the poor performances that result can look like the players aren't trying. You don't agree, that's fair enough.

We agree on very little in football matters and we have discussed this topic and others closely related to it at length before, we've both had our say again now. We still don't agree. Probably best to leave it there.
    2. That point is typically you and lol'worthy. So your reply to me asking "who is now making the excuse the players don't give a toss becasue they now know Moyes is gone in the summer" is to point out a post I thanked?

A post that starts of by saying the buck stops with the manager, the part you bolded in a desperate attempt to make a bs point, here is the full post which agrees with what I was saying

Please, if your going to quote and reply to me don't make up stuff I never said and selectively highlight parts of a post i thanked. Its poor form.

I never said or held the opinion or made the excuse that the players don't give a toss because they know Moyes will be gone in the summer. I have been saying some don't care for a while now.

I won't hold my breath for an apology, given how poorly you tired to move the goal posts just then all i expect is the further straw manning and willingness to drag this argument to its death whilst displaying you usual need to get in the last word as always.

That is not the post that I linked you to.

I did not bold any part of the post. Boards does not allow you to edit other poster's posts.

I did not say that you, or anybody, said that the players don't give a toss because they know Moyes will be gone in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Van Persie has to go, should be dropped for the next few games. Same with Ferdinand or whoever else is spouting off. Moyes needs to get tough, show whose boss & get that fear factor. Way too soft so far

No
    bmcc10 wrote: »
    Trap, We'd create more chances.

Hopefully he could convince Paul Green to join, just what the midfield needs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

No
    Fergie would not tolerate RVP critising the team like that, no way

Hopefully he could convince Paul Green to join, just what the midfield needs.

I'd take him over TC23 with his continental spanish style:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No
    Giles went crazy at somebody daring to question him. Usually he splurts out his ultra-conservative logic and the guy at the end fawns all over him.

Sadlier will have 10 missed calls Eamon when he gets off the set.

No

RVP would never have dared criticise Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

No
    Just crunching some numbers on players who are leaving and are likely to be leaving in the summer. That's a lot of money freed up. The rough 65m in sales to add to the 100m available for transfers + around 1M a week to spend on wages.

Current Squad
    PLAYER|SALARY|SALE VALUE
    Ben Amos| £10k
    Darren Fletcher|£80k|4
    Anders Lindegaard|£40k
    Ryan Giggs|£75k
    Patrice Evra|£90k
    Rio Ferdinand|£100k
    Nemanja Vidic|£120k
    Juan Mata|£130k
    Nick Powell|£5k
    Chris Smalling|£50k
    Jonny Evans|£65k
    Rafael da Silva|£50k
    Michael Carrick|£80k
    Marouane Fellaini|£125k
    Ashley Young|£90k|14M
    Antonio Valencia|£70k|16M
    Anderson|£75k|5M
    Nani|£90k|16M
    Wilfried Zaha|£35k
    Adnan Januzaj|£40K – £50K
    Tom Cleverley|£40k
    David de Gea|£70k
    Danny Welbeck|£75k
    Phil Jones|£50k
    Javier Hernandez|£75k|16M
    Shinji Kagawa|£80k
    Wayne Rooney|£300k
    Robin van Persie|£200k
    Alexander Buttner|£15k
    SALARY SAVED|865k
    SALES TOTAL|65M

So taking 165M for transfers with 1M a week in wages who would you sign to replace the ones leaving? Get your fantasy football boots on.

Absolutely ridiculous prices........be doing very well to get half those figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Wrote this for the should he be sacked thread, it's not going to waste :p

I really think there are so many things wrong with how it is currently and a huge chunk of it's down to Fergie's mismanagement the last few seasons. Moyes was brought into the champions in July. He can't have expected that he'd need a new left back, 2 new CMs, creative players and possibly a right back. But that's how it was. I think he was hoping some would step up and give him more time to find the right targets but that didn't happen. I think something as simple as the Coentrao signing going through would have changed a lot. It's hunger that the team lacks and Evra being the main culprit of this a new left back would have done a lot.

Moyes made a lot of good early moves with the existing squad too early on. Promoting Januzaj even if he's not yet ready to be relied on, getting Nani a new deal and keeping Rooney. I was very happy at that. With the addition of Fellaini I was overall pretty happy with how it had turned out.

What's happened since has been inexplicable to me. Nani and Kagawa rotting while Valencia and Young (tempted to put Januzaj too) get game time not based at all on merit and persistence with tactics that clearly weren't working. I think a lot of this is down to Fergie's lack of tactical cohesion the last few seasons. Players being too far away from each other and not knowing what each other were doing all the time. Relying on RvP, Rooney, Nani, Berbatov etc. to produce a moment of individual magic to scrape a 1 goal win was all too common really.

The Moyes system seems to be a continuation of that but without as much defensive stability with all the rotation and decline of Rio and Vidic along with nobody being at the elite level consistently that Fergie always seemed to have in at least 1 of the aforementioned players. Bad team selections among other things have plummeted opinion of him.

I do think there's light at the end of the tunnel. I trust in Moyes to put in the work regarding transfers and identify the right players. If they come or not we will see but then he'll have no excuse for poor tactics. If he gets in the 3 or 4 minimum players needed and doesn't switch tactics, even to what he showed at Everton in the last few seasons then I'll be the first to call for his head. I'm not close to that stage yet as I think there's a lot of other factors rather than his ability as a manager to consider when looking at this travesty of a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Interesting having a pole in the thread but i suspect a lot of the "no" votes are non-United supporters.

Fergie was in a much better posistion to not have to tolerate it with great players he was respected, If Moyes shut RVP out or looked to sell it would be a complete mess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

No

RVP also basically critisised his teammates for occupying his own space! Craziness to allow that sort of comments to go unabaded. Big test for Moyes now to see if he can handle this - if he were to drop RVP for this, he risks completely losing the dressingroom. Could be his last stand.

No
    Interesting having a pole in the thread but i suspect a lot of the "no" votes are non-United supporters.

Yeah, unless we can limit it to United fans only, it's utterly pointless....

No
    NukaCola wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous prices........be doing very well to get half those figures.

Oh piss off. They are far from ridiculous. You know nothing about the market value of players.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

NukaCola wrote: »

16M for a near 29 year old Antonio Valencia is value!!!

To be fair, my no vote was for Shinji's sake! Moyes stays, Shinji is more likely to go! :pac:

Oh piss off. They are far from ridiculous. You know nothing about the market value of players.

Why doesnt he? Because he thinks (as others seem to) that you have overvalued most of the players you mentioned? Who made you the king of transfers

No
    RVP also basically critisised his teammates for occupying his own space! Craziness to allow that sort of comments to go unabaded. Big test for Moyes now to see if he can handle this - if he were to drop RVP for this, he risks completely losing the dressingroom. Could be his last stand.

I think he's lost the dressing room already. There's no desire out there at all. Look at Cleverly, in a World Cup year - when he should be busting a gut to try and get to Brazil - he has looked far below average, completely disinterested and regressed altogether.
    The Ferdinand Tweets, Anderson interview, Hernadez Instagram quote and now RVP's statement suggests that the United dressing room has a poisonous atmosphere at the moment.

Van Persie has to go, should be dropped for the next few games. Same with Ferdinand or whoever else is spouting off. Moyes needs to get tough, show whose boss & get that fear factor. Way too soft so far
    That's exactly what I would do too - Ferdinand especially I would push aside totally... he has lost total interest and is a major liability on and off the pitch... which is a sad thing to say about the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Just crunching some numbers on players who are leaving and are likely to be leaving in the summer. That's a lot of money freed up. The rough 65m in sales to add to the 100m available for transfers + around 1M a week to spend on wages.

So taking 165M for transfers with 1M a week in wages who would you sign to replace the ones leaving? Get your fantasy football boots on.

You have Nani, Fletch and Chico on the sale list and not Cleverly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No

Any evidence/quotes from the last few weeks that indicate Ferguson still has faith in Moyes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No

Nope... Pool fan, voted Yes

Moyes is completely out of his depth and should go not just for the sake of Utd, but the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

No

Damn right. He would've got sixteen slaps to the head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

No team would pay 14 and 16 for Young and Valencia. The last couple of seasons have decimated their value. Halve it and I reckon it's about right.

No
    I note you didn't answer my question. I'll ignore the personal remarks.

You poor thing, you get all upset and make up some fake outrage about personal remarks.

Your post is quite stupid. Your a typical fan I hate, never seen any mistakes Fergie has done. He is human and has made numerous mistakes at utd. You honestly think he would seen this utd team have its worse start since the PL started? Playing some of the worse football the club since the PL started?

You honestly believe Fergie still has faith with Moyes now?

No
    Why doesnt he? Because he thinks (as others seem to) that you have overvalued most of the players you mentioned? Who made you king of the transfer market

Ok those sale prices are in Euro. I forgot to convert them but even at that they will be only slightly less so say £50M for the lot.

You need to spend £30m+ these days for a good player. 1/3 of that for those players is not unreasonable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement