Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Macca07 wrote: »
    I dunno, they made a pretty big move to try and sign Suarez last year
    I don't remember this :confused:
    Arsenal were the only team to offer anything as far as I recall.
    Madrid spent their Summer chasing Bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    Question for ye...

If you had a choice, which would you take at this exact moment to get our season on track?

A 27 year old Roy Keane, would had so much to our midfield and would give a good kick up the hole that some players need

or

Cristiano Ronaldo

Keane, no question. Exactly the player the club needs. But even a young Keane would probably not be enough to get the season back on track. Look at the calibre of players he would be lining up with in midfield. At his best he had Beckham, Giggs (also at his best), Scholes and Nicky Butt.

Compare that to the current team. Carrick is having a poor season but is still our best midfielder. Fellaini has had little impact when he has played and was injured for a good bit. Cleverley is just not good enough for a big team. Fletcher is battling a condition that very nearly ended his career and so it is unfair to expect great things from him. Giggs is simply not who he once was due to age. Valencia cannot cross a ball anymore or take his man on. Young has only shown brief glimpses of quality in his time here and for the rest has been muck. Even with Keane, the midfield would be the weak point of the team. We don't just need 1 player, we need about 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    Augmerson wrote: »
    If Pool get offered 100 million then I guess he'd be sold but can't see it happening. At the least we should have CL football next season which Suarez really wants to be involved in.

If Utd fail to get CL for next season do you think RVP will try force a move?

If? Lol we wont, if Moyes is there yup RVP will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

If? Lol we wont, if Moyes is there yup RVP will go.

Think Suarez has a £70 million release clause... but that may depend on CL qualification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Maybe he won't but I think Liverpool will next season. With the way Rodgers has 'Pool playing its very realistic. The defending ain't great but attacking wise it's the best football being played in the EPL.

I think Liverpool will struggle to improve on this season .I think they wil finish third or fourth this year and get CL football and I can't see that being surpassed next year.

No
    Think Suarez has a £70 million release clause... but that may depend on CL qualification

They are dead certs for CL football, tbh they deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Looks like somebody in the Mirror read my post about suggesting Van Gaal as a replacement for Moyes,they are running with the story today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

zerks wrote: »
    Looks like somebody in the Mirror read my post about suggesting Van Gaal as a replacement for Moyes,they are running with the story today.

I said that about 10 days ago, but every available manager is going to be linked with the United job for the next few months. Van Gaal would certainly be a good option, Klopp long term though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

No

If Utd fail to get CL for next season do you think RVP will try force a move?

His behaviour recently smacks of a guy wanting out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Also reading some reports of Frank De Boer coming in as Van gaul's Number 2, with the long term view of being his eventual replacement as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Also reading some reports of Frank De Boer coming in as Van gaul's Number 2, with the long term view of being his eventual replacement as well.

Which imo is what should have happened with Utd for the last year of fergies reign. The future manager should have spent a year as his no 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I may have been somewhat pissed last night posting about Liverpool :) but most of us here are football fans and have to concede they are playing some lovely stuff. ... I predicted Liverpool second about a month ago and it wouldn't surprise me if they went all the way. I think it's only Man City who can stop them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

irishfeen wrote: »
    I may have been somewhat pissed last night posting about Liverpool :) but most of us here are football fans and have to concede they are playing some lovely stuff. ... I predicted Liverpool second about a month ago and it wouldn't surprise me if they went all the way. I think it's only Man City who can stop them now.

Ruling out Chelsea in the position they are in is daft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    What a shame.

lol

+1

theyre my favs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The job should have been given to Mourinho.

That didn't happen as Fergie had a huge say in his successor. . . and he didn't want someone who had more than enough potential (or on his CV) to eclipse his own achievements.

• Advertisement

That didn't happen as Fergie had a huge say in his successor. . . and he didn't want someone who had more than enough potential (or on his CV) to eclipse his own achievements.

This argument is the biggest load of **** going

No

What a load of bullshìt. Lazy opinion.

I'm unsure whether Chelsea will last the pace... Last month I had Chelsea as champions, Liverpool 2nd, City 3rd and Arsenal 4th - could very well end up this way.. If Liverpool beat us at OT I think they will have ever chance of winning it.

What a load of bullshìt. Lazy opinion.

Well United's season wouldn't be over by the end of February if they'd appointed Mourinho.

It seems a no-brainer to me:

Appoint a manager (who clearly wanted the job) who has won the League in Portugal, England, Spain & Italy and the Champions League twice.

Oh sorry. . . I forgot - United are different. That's why Moyes is still in charge.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Liverpool will get CL football next season, and they deserve it. They've been consistently good, and are now nailed on for a top 4 imo. Possibly even get 3rd ahead of Arsenal.

Where they might come up short is with the depth of quality in their squad. A couple of injuries to key players and they will struggle to stay in the top 4 next season unless they buy well this summer.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    I'm unsure whether Chelsea will last the pace... Last month I had Chelsea as champions, Liverpool 2nd, City 3rd and Arsenal 4th - could very well end up this way.. If Liverpool beat us at OT I think they will have ever chance of winning it.

Based on? They have a manager who has done it before. He knows what it takes. They continue to grind out the results.

No
    I really dont get the Fergie wanted someone who would fail arguement :S

I really dont get the Fergie wanted someone who would fail arguement :S

He didn't exactly recommend someone with a huge track record of success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Where they might come up short is with the depth of quality in their squad. A couple of injuries to key players and they will struggle to stay in the top 4 next season unless they buy well this summer.

Missed the following players for decent spells this season;

Lucas
    Suarez
    Agger
    Sakho
    Gerrard
    Johnson
    Sturridge
    Enrique

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Liverpool will get CL football next season, and they deserve it. They've been consistently good, and are now nailed on for a top 4 imo. Possibly even get 3rd ahead of Arsenal.

I'm not sure they have the money to splash out on big signings,ever since Dalglish went nuts they are very reticent to spend big.They have been blessed this season with injuries,if Suarez got a serious injury they'd lose a huge chunk of creativity & goals from their side.
    We just don't have any creativity or goals in the first place this season,if this continues next season & even if Liverpool finish outside the top 4 you can bet we'll still be behind them.

Based on? They have a manager who has done it before. He knows what it takes. They continue to grind out the results.
    My own opinion, the brother is a Chelsea fan so would get to watch the vast majority of their games - not having anything up front could catch them out badly - only for Hazard they would have dropped a good few points already this season.

No
    Well United's season wouldn't be over by the end of February if they'd appointed Mourinho.

It seems a no-brainer to me:

Appoint a manager (who clearly wanted the job) who has won the League in Portugal, England, Spain & Italy and the Champions League twice.

Oh sorry. . . I forgot - United are different. That's why Moyes is still in charge.

:D

That has nothing got to do with Ferguson choosing Moyes so as not to have anybody overshadow his success.

What a shame.
    Trilla wrote: »

lol

Regardless of anyone's opinions on him, I think it's fair to say that this thread is a less interesting place with him not active in it.

They have been blessed this season with injuries,if Suarez got a serious injury they'd lose a huge chunk of creativity & goals from their side.

Bollox. See list of players I posted a minute ago.

We're just ****ing boss. Accept it.

That has nothing got to do with Ferguson choosing Moyes so as not to have anybody overshadow his success.

Well the alternative is worse. . . that Moyes came from the part of Scotland as Fergie and so is bound to be a success despite having won nothing.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »

Liverpool haven't won the league in 24 years . . .some boss! :D

No
    Well the alternative is worse. . . that Moyes came from the part of Scotland as Fergie and so is bound to be a success despite having won nothing.

Stop playing dumb. Nobody can be that dumb...

No
    He didn't exactly recommend someone with a huge track record of success.

He recommended his mate and fellow countryman, a huge mistake in my eyes but not because he wanted him to fail.

He recommended his mate and fellow countryman, a huge mistake in my eyes but not because he wanted him to fail.

I very much agree with that.

Fergie was chasing Pep for a while (even meeting him in NY).

When Pep said "Nein Danke" the job should have been given to Mourinho.

No

This....this right here is why pool fans are so disliked.

Doesn't matter if your defenders have been out,they are dodgy enough anyway,even the most myopic Liverpool fan would admit that,had Suarez been out for a long period you wouldn't be in 2nd place,you can't deny the fact that he's won games single handed and thats been a major factor.

Anyhow,enough about you lot,this is the United thread,we have complaining to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

No
    Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home 

Except giggs.

He thought the brothers was prettiest!

Lol jeez, don't be so precious. It was in jest.

• Advertisement

Even uses Scouse vernacular: "boss".:pac:

Doesn't matter if your defenders have been out,they are dodgy enough anyway,even the most myopic Liverpool fan would admit that,had Suarez been out for a long period you wouldn't be in 2nd place,you can't deny the fact that he's won games single handed and thats been a major factor.

Suarez & Sturridge have both missed considerable chunks of the season. Suarez missed the first 6 games if you'll care to remember. We did pretty ok without him believe it or not.

No
    Lol jeez, don't be so precious. It was in jest.

Well the impression of the rest of the pool fans was amazing.

Would United fans trust Moyes with £150m considering he spent £28m of Felliani?

Someone posted something like this in here a few months ago and it is spot on. "He is a player playing poorly, not a poor player."

He's been distinctly average without question, but he has had injury problems, and no real preseason to speak of also.

Fellaini will be a very good player for us - there's no question that we may have overpaid, but to judge him on his contribution so far is silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

No

Fellaini isn't a bad buy. He's had an awful season with injuries. There is a reason he starts regularly for Belgium and last time I checked, they don't have the worst midfield in the world..

• Advertisement

No

Fellaini is a player a lot of us wanted, for 28 million....no but it was last minute desperation, he bought Mata and done well with Everton so I prob would.....BUT he needs to sort his tactics, I still see him here next year so if he gets the players he wants and gets rid of the deadwood we may be happier.....I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No

Fellaini will still prove to be a good signing for Utd, even if they did overpay for him probably.

It's not as straight forward a question as it seems. I think he may buy some decent players if he was given the budget, but I wouldn't trust him one bit to utilise them properly.

Someone else needs to be given the money. Ideally someone needs to come in as soon as possible to have a look at the squad for the rest of the season and target summer transfer targets.

This of course won't happen as Utd have shown in the last 9 months or so that they will drag their feet and make a bollix of most things they put their hands to.
    Last summers shadow still looms large.

A big mindset change is needed. Decisive decisions need to be taken. Someone needs to grab the reigns and steady things once and for all. The club is a shambles at the moment from top to bottom.

No
    Moyes has made 2 signings. If you said to any United fan last year that Mata and Fellaini would be added to the squad they would be delighted.

He has a good eye for a player, I wouldn't have many worries with him spending money. He has recognised the areas that need fixing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    At the start of the summer, and for months before, I had hoped we'd get Afroman. Still stand by that. I think he was a good buy, has played an average game, but still has plenty of time to come good :)

Suarez & Sturridge have both missed considerable chunks of the season. Suarez missed the first 6 games if you'll care to remember. We did pretty ok without him believe it or not.

Re-read my post,especially the bit about games he's pretty much won on his own.Don't argue just for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement