Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

zerks wrote: »
    They are 1-0 up now.

Mate of mine is a City fan & get's very precious about any criticism of them,he's at the game & is now watching Sunderland fans doing the Poznan:pac:

Sweet!
    A lot of my family in Manchester are City fans - I just tagged a few of them on Facebook - I have every expectation that I'll regret it later! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Wes Brown and John O Shea former United players and Fletcher Hibs only 1 team im going for today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Wes Brown and John O Shea former United players and Fletcher Hibs only 1 team im going for today.

Don't forget Bardsley...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Enough of this City talk.

So we need about 4 players in the summer, LB, 2 CBs, and a CM, pending on Rio, Evra and Vidic leaving, and Giggs retiring.

3 of those 4 will have to be first-team players.

I can see us going for Coentrao again, wouldn't be my first choice, would prefer Shaw.

Mangala would be an option for CB, I would've liked to have tried signing Zouma from St. Etienne. Varane would be my first-choice but can't see him leaving Madrid any time soon.

CM could be any number of players, depending on what tactics the management decide to play. Vidal, Gundogan, Kroos. Illarramendi from Madrid is someone that might be looking to move in the summer but I doubt that'll happen.

Don't forget Bardsley...

Any team that has Bardsley and Cattermole in the team don't deserve ever to win anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

No
    Macca07 wrote: »
    I find it quite refreshing really, it's like being left go from school early on a Friday...

Only to realise you have nothing to do for the weekend....

On the plus side i've not spent as much time playing video games since i was a kid! :pac:

It just feels like it's the summer football wise already which says a lot

spiralism wrote: »
    On the plus side i've not spent as much time playing video games since i was a kid! :pac:

It just feels like it's the summer football wise already which says a lot

I'm gonna be very depressed next season when we have no European football midweek to occupy my time. Will have to invest in a PS4 I think.

FIFA 14 or FM14 for the PC lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No

FM14

Prepare to have no life though!

FM14

Prepare to have no life though!

I thought as much, but I do have a PS controller for the PC which makes it a lot better.
    And I don't have much of a life as it is. Small one makes sure of that, will give me something to do when she has the TV watching Mickey ******* Mouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Paul McGrath and Kevin Moran in today's Sunday World "convinced" Moyes is "out of his depth"... I think they are among the first former United players to come out against Moyes - it certainly seems like a perfect storm is brewing for Moyes now.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Paul McGrath and Kevin Moran in today's Sunday World "convinced" Moyes is "out of his depth"... I think they are among the first former United players to come out against Moyes - it certainly seems like a perfect storm is brewing for Moyes now.

I think it's only a matter of time before more start saying it, but won't be Neville or Keane. Not too many other former United players are pundits at the moment, quite a lot are managers.

Think it'll take someone who is still a favourite at United to come and say it before the board start taking notice. Someone that has won it all at United, someone that is still respected at the club. Irwin or Schmeichel could do it.

Ferguson is too stubborn to admit his mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

City have just potentially given us a Europa league place

Another reason to hate them

As much as it pains me to say it, I do love Yaya Toure. Best midfielder in the world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ex players lending thoughts to pieces in papers respond to what editors want. Generally up to now media were with Moyes but that has changed especially Now it's in line with what most fans think. Now ex players will be asked to give thoughts on Moyes that suit the topic the media are pushing (could support or be contrary).

Before now ex players may have felt like Moyes was wrong but editors wanted thoughts on other topics. We are sure to see more of it as it's what media are pushing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

How so?

How so?

If they win the cup 6th place gets Europa as far as I know

How so?

If they win 6th place will be a Europa spot too.

Saying that, the winners of it next season qualifies for the CL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

If they win the cup 6th place gets Europa as far as I know

Ah, didn't know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Fifa 14 second hand and FM13 with updated squads could be doable!

• Advertisement

No
    Also reading some reports of Frank De Boer coming in as Van gaul's Number 2, with the long term view of being his eventual replacement as well.

De Boer will hardly come from managing Ajax to four straight titles in all likelihood (they just won their biggest game of the season away at Feyenoord to go 8 clear and wrap up the title race pretty much) to assistant manager at United? I hate this speculation that devalues foreign clubs, some weeks back Antonio Conte's name was being floated about and he hasnt a notion of leaving Juve.

I'd actually love to see De Boer managing the club altogether, never mind Van Gaal. Has Ajax playing great football, uses the academy brilliantly and handles expectations brilliantly at a club where failure is not tolerated and even success has to be achieved playing attacking football and using the academy (it's in the mission statement of the club). Every season he's been in charge Ajax's form is near impeccable after January. Last two seasons they've been unbeaten in the final 14 league fixtures, two seasons ago they actually won all of their last 14. In 2011 they beat Twente on the last day to win the title, last year they beat PSV away in a huge game to wrap the title, this year Feyenoord in De Kuip to do the same. He's everything we'd want.

Assistant manager though, cmon. Ajax are a huge club historically and have more European cups than us. Their hugely successful manager is not going to leave them to be #2 at United. He deserves consideration for the job itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Not too many other former United players are pundits at the moment, quite a lot are managers.

I suspect these managers would have a good grasp and understanding of the job and so their opinion would carry more weight. As opposed to the opinions of McGrath and Moran, two guys who have no managerial experience.

I suspect these managers would have a good grasp and understanding of the job and so their opinion would carry more weight. As opposed to the opinions of McGrath and Moran, two guys who have no managerial experience.

You don't see a lot of managers slagging other managers, bar Mourinho.

spiralism wrote: »
    De Boer will hardly come from managing Ajax to four straight titles in all likelihood (they just won their biggest game of the season away at Feyenoord to go 8 clear and wrap up the title race pretty much) to assistant manager at United? I hate this speculation that devalues foreign clubs, some weeks back Antonio Conte's name was being floated about and he hasnt a notion of leaving Juve.

I'd actually love to see De Boer managing the club altogether, never mind Van Gaal. Has Ajax playing great football, uses the academy brilliantly and handles expectations brilliantly at a club where failure is not tolerated and even success has to be achieved playing attacking football and using the academy (it's in the mission statement of the club). Every season he's been in charge Ajax's form is near impeccable after January. Last two seasons they've been unbeaten in the final 14 league fixtures, two seasons ago they actually won all of their last 14. In 2011 they beat Twente on the last day to win the title, last year they beat PSV away in a huge game to wrap the title, this year Feyenoord in De Kuip to do the same. He's everything we'd want.

Assistant manager though, cmon. Ajax are a huge club historically and have more European cups than us. Their hugely successful manager is not going to leave them to be #2 at United. He deserves consideration for the job itself.

Just read the story, didn't realise that De Boer would be the number 2. They did say that he might be tempted if it would be guaranteed that he'd succeed Van Gaal, but I couldn't see it happening. But it would be a fantastic managerial team to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sunday's edition of Italian newspaper Tuttosport has a story claiming Manchester United have backed down on a transfer for Nani. Inter Milan are the club mentioned and it's reported that Manchester United have already agreed to let the winger leave in the summer on loan and give Inter Milan the right to then make a purchase.

That's a bit of an odd one,why not just grant him a transfer in the Summer instead? Maybe the new manager will want him back.......

No
    Just read the story, didn't realise that De Boer would be the number 2. They did say that he might be tempted if it would be guaranteed that he'd succeed Van Gaal, but I couldn't see it happening. But it would be a fantastic managerial team to take over.

I'd argue that Van Gaal's star isnt as bright as it's once been in football, i'd be all for just hiring De Boer outright. Van Gaal could well succeed, he's a champions league winning manager after all but he also has a history of fighting with players and left Bayern somewhat acrimoniously. He's no spring chicken either, do we really want another managerial change in 3 years?

De Boer on the other hand is 43, on top of having the credentials i mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

zerks wrote: »
    Sunday's edition of Italian newspaper Tuttosport has a story claiming Manchester United have backed down on a transfer for Nani. Inter Milan are the club mentioned and it's reported that Manchester United have already agreed to let the winger leave in the summer on loan and give Inter Milan the right to then make a purchase.

That's a bit of an odd one,why not just grant him a transfer in the Summer instead? Maybe the new manager will want him back.......

Let Nani go and use him as leverage in a bid for Kovacic perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No

Give me the Europa League any day over traipsing off to Asia/Middle East to play money friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Why did we give Nani a new contract then? Strange

Also, if a team in the champions league places wins the FA cup does that mean that 7th place in the league gets a place in the Europa League?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Which would ye guys rather see winning the league. Chelsea or City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Robson99 wrote: »

Chelsea....

team-america-puking-up-a-storm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

No
    dubmick wrote: »
    Why did we give Nani a new contract then? Strange

Also, if a team in the champions league places wins the FA cup does that mean that 7th place in the league gets a place in the Europa League?

If the other finalist finishes in the European spots then it goes to 7th. Our season ain't over yet lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

No
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    If they win 6th place will be a Europa spot too.

Saying that, the winners of it next season qualifies for the CL

What happens if the winners of the EL finishes in a CL place in their league?

dubmick wrote: »

Runner up will get it, but I think if they already have a European spot, then it'll go to 7th.

TheTownie wrote: »

Don't think it would change anything

• Advertisement

No

Not Liverpool is my answer.

Chelsea all day long, would take either over Liverpool.

TheTownie wrote: »

Not sure tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

J. Marston wrote: »
    Give me the Europa League any day over traipsing off to Asia/Middle East to play money friendlies.

to be fair those money friendlies are worth more to united than europa league.

but im with you id prefer liverpool to play europa than nothing. as a football fan i want to watch football and if thats not liverpool against the barcas and bayerns then id settle for liverpool against the parmas napolis bilbaos portos etc. i wanna watch my team compete and could give a **** about the corporate sponsorship side of things.

but as i said i can see why owners would prefer to play money friendlies and attract sponsorship rather than play the europa league. winning the europa is probably worth the same as just showing up for 3 or 4 of these friendlies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Paulegend wrote: »
    to be fair those money friendlies are worth more to united than europa league.

but im with you id prefer liverpool to play europa than nothing. as a football fan i want to watch football and if thats not liverpool against the barcas and bayerns then id settle for liverpool against the parmas napolis bilbaos portos etc. i wanna watch my team compete and could give a **** about the corporate sponsorship side of things.

but as i said i can see why owners would prefer to play money friendlies and attract sponsorship rather than play the europa league. winning the europa is probably worth the same as just showing up for 3 or 4 of these friendlies

Short term thinking though. If United have no European football and resort to being a travelling sideshow mid-season, it will damage the "brand" eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

J. Marston wrote: »
    [/B]
    Short term thinking though. If United have no European football and resort to being a travelling sideshow mid-season, it will damage the "brand" eventually.

your right but if they are playing in the europa without the same spotlight they get right now it would also damage their brand.

touring asia on champions league nights would keep their profile in asia high longer than playing in the europa.

uniteds biggest fan base is in asia. it would be easier for them to see united on tv/live in aisa rather than playing in the europa.

ironically not being in europe at all would keep their brand healthier than EL

Paulegend wrote: »
    your right but if they are playing in the europa without the same spotlight they get right now it would also damage their brand.

touring asia on champions league nights would keep their profile in asia high longer than playing in the europa.

uniteds biggest fan base is in asia. it would be easier for them to see united on tv/live in aisa rather than playing in the europa.

ironically not being in europe at all would keep their brand healthier than EL

But a few seasons out of Europe will cause a lot of problems for United, and they won't be able to attract the top players. These friendlies in Asia mid-season are a backup plan for having no European football for one season, can't see it as a long term solution if it happens.

Jesus it's not like they're going to turn into the Manchester Globetrotters, it's maybe 4 friendlies that will pay back the shortfall of missing out on Europe, which with investment this summer we should without a doubt be qualifying for the Champions League next season, if not we've got a lot bigger problems to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

One bad season and suddenly it's turning into a few seasons out of the CL. I expect United to be title contenders next season regardless of the manager and I think the board/Moyes/players do too.

Liam O wrote: »
    One bad season and suddenly it's turning into a few seasons out of the CL. I expect United to be title contenders next season regardless of the manager and I think the board/Moyes/players do too.

Based on this season, I wouldn't be so sure. We're probably going to be losing 3 of the back 4, still haven't sorted out midfield, and Roo and Rvp aren't linking up properly. The tactics and attitude this season have been terrible, and only one person is to blame for that. If Moyes is still manager next season, I wouldn't expect much more than this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Liam O wrote: »

Well you'd have to have a hefty cheque book ready this summer, have top 1st team players willing to sign (with no Champions League to look forward to) and you'd have to have those players gel quickly. Not to mention this team would have to overtake the teams currently ahead of you.

Can't see it happening next year but within 2/3 years definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Well you'd have to have a hefty cheque book ready this summer, have top 1st team players willing to sign (with no Champions League to look forward to) and you'd have to have those players gel quickly. Not to mention this team would have to overtake the teams currently ahead of you.

This team is massively underperforming. It just has to get back to where it was or even close to that to overtake the majority of the teams ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The 'lucrative far east friendlies' instead of European games thing didn't make a lot of sense if it was games during the weeks when European football is ongoing (presumably you are already maxing out on such revenue during the summer).

As a team not in Europe you would be quite likely to end up in the Sky Sports 4pm Sunday slot (even the Monday night slot) and the following Saturdays BT lunchtime slot making travel time ridiculously tight. Not to mention you only get ~6 weeks notice of these tv games making forward planning difficult.
    These friendlies would would obviously have to be Tuesdays or Wednesdays which may or may not be as lucrative as weekend games in these countries (I may be wrong here). Also could be permission issues with UEFA - they may not license such friendlies as presumably they and their sponsors want their Asian market focussing on the Champions League that week. And I think there'd also be an issue with such games being televised in Europe (presumably an expected source of revenue) on a CL day.
    I think it was always a non runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The amount of 1 goal losses and draws to bottom half teams will not be repeated. Be looking to get more than a point of Chelsea and 2 off Spurs I think it was too. More motivation from everyone for a fresh start and hopefully get better luck with injuries to key players. At the very least I expect everyone at the club to know where they stand at the start of next season and that itself should be worth a lot more points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

This team is massively underperforming. It just has to get back to where it was or even close to that to overtake the majority of the teams ahead.

Do you realistically expect the teams above you to underperform to the level that you have this year? That's what you would almost certainly need to overtake the majority of them, which I can't see happening. Obviously one or another might implode but can't see too many doing that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement