Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    double GG wrote: »
    One possible positive that can be taken from Olympiakos game result is that we now have to come out and actually play attacking football again.

You would think so, wouldn't you. But this is the Moyes regime, so it will probably be Valencia and Cleverley again.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

DazMarz wrote: »
    Serious investment is needed in the summer. It might not be as extreme as £200m, but it is going to be massive.

I would estimate that United need the following to get Champions League football next season and challenge for the title:

-At least one, if not two, quality centre backs
    -A quality left back
    -Two quality central midfielders

They will also potentially need to get replacements in for Nani, Valencia, Young, Van Persie and Kagawa. It is not just United's starting eleven that needs overhaul, it is the squad too. United need to buy in some cover in the summer.

Who should United be looking at?

Centre halves: potential targets could/should include; Hummels, Subotic, Papadopoulos, Vertongen, Wollscheid, Caceres, etc.

Midfielders: Lars Bender, Sven Bender, Vidal, Strootman, Kroos, Pjanic, Sandro, Guarín... this is an area that is of critical importance to United and needs a lot of thought.

Left back: Coentrao, Shaw

And then squad players.

It is going to be a massive job, and an expensive one. But will David Moyes be the man to being in the required players? Will he be able to manage and motivate them? Will the tactics change?

Only time will tell...

In no way getting at you but why do people only ever mention either Shaw or Coentrao when they talk about new left backs?

There must be lads on here who watch lots of Spanish or German football who can suggest others?

Shaw to me will cost way too much for a left back when you consider the Utd tax and the fact that being young and English usually adds abut ten million to a price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

what are you rambling on about?

he's persisted with the same style of play. nothing we have seen has suggested he will change this. we stumbled upon an alright performance against palace - some of us though ahhh some progress. However, it seemed like it was merely Moyes resting his star wingers to bring back 4-4-2 as we got soundly beaten in Greece.

again, you are dealing with ifs. if kagawa played we may have been doing better but the fact is moyes hasnt been playing him. so we should stick with moyes cause if he played kagawa, which he hasnt been, you think we would be top of the league.

basically, ive no idea what you are talking about

i was being sarcastic regarding you saying ifs dont win games..ie change of tactics as you say would mean kagawa coming in and droping our wingers no?????

twice now from you first what i said is rubbish now im rambling,,you were to thick in the head to see i was being sarcastic,you seem also to have a habit of reffering to other people opinions as xxxx and rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwo4kqOE6cc

1:25 well done Manuel, One team in Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

i was being sarcastic regarding you saying ifs dont win games..ie change of tactics as you say would mean kagawa coming in and droping our wingers no?????

twice now from you first what i said is rubbish now im rambling,,you were to thick in the head to see i was being sarcastic,you seem also to have a habit of reffering to other people opinions as xxxx and rubbish

i will happily debate with people on here and have done for years. i tend to call posts rubbish where it seems someone has just repeatedly bashed their head against the keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

No
    Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    In no way getting at you but why do people only ever mention either Shaw or Coentrao when they talk about new left backs?

There must be lads on here who watch lots of Spanish or German football who can suggest others?

Shaw to me will cost way too much for a left back when you consider the Utd tax and the fact that being young and English usually adds abut ten million to a price tag.

Was just off the top of my head. There are other left backs;

Felipe Luis
    Lucas Digne
    Bastian Oczipka
    Layvin Kurzawa
    Jetro Willems

Again, pretty off the top of my head, but these are lads who are young, athletic and have good skill on the ball who could be potential left-back replacements. Luis and Digne both play for Atletico and PSG respectively, so might be a bit expensive as the clubs are both doing well and don't need to sell. Oczipka, Kurzawa and Willems play for Frankfurt, Monaco and PSV respectively, and might be easier prospects to lure away from their clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

i will happily debate with people on here and have done for years. i tend to call posts rubbish where it seems someone has just repeatedly bashed their head against the keyboard.

but you havent debated,you stated what i said was rubbish and then suggested i was rambling all the while not inputting anything other than to say IF moyes changed tactics we would be better off,im saying its not as simple as that this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

but you havent debated,you stated what i said was rubbish and then suggested i was rambling all the while not inputting anything other than to say IF moyes changed tactics we would be better off,im saying its not as simple as that this year.

if we played better tactics and not the ****e we have been made play this year we would not be 7th in the table. I think anyone can see this.

I said i will debate with people when it doesnt look like they have just been headbutting the keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

No
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I just don't get the amount of people who are continually calling for Kagawa to play? He has never/rarely done it in a United shirt, I've never seen him play well for them.

Under Moyes its rather pointless but imo the right manager would use him very well. He'd be a top player at Chelsea or Arsenal. He's not a lot of use though when we're bombing it out to our inept wide players and ignoring him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

spiralism wrote: »
    Under Moyes its rather pointless but imo the right manager would use him very well. He'd be a top player at Chelsea or Arsenal. He's not a lot of use though when we're bombing it out to our inept wide players and ignoring him

Tbh it's hardly like Moyes was telling the players not to pass to him against Olympiakos. Maybe because the players aren't good enough to pick him out even in training Moyes feels like he's not doing enough and that everything is bypassing him. There has to be some logical explanation to how little he's being used this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    The left back spoke to RMC in France last week about his love for Manchester United but didn't rule out an exit when his contract ends. In October, Evra spoke to Téléfoot (translated by our Tom Coast) and he made it sound like an exit was likely.

“Your contract expires in June 2014. Does this bother you?"

"No, not at all. It's personal. It's not Manchester (United) that don't want me to sign a new contract. This whole thing is personal. Manchester United's dream is that I finish my career there, but this is something personal."

"You can't say anything else on the matter?"

"No."

Then it was thought that a return to France was on the horizon but the interest of Inter Milan could change things and the chance to move with Nemanja Vidic, and possibly Nani, will probably be of interest.

Evra more or less saying he's off.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

No
    Liam O wrote: »
    Tbh it's hardly like Moyes was telling the players not to pass to him against Olympiakos. Maybe because the players aren't good enough to pick him out even in training Moyes feels like he's not doing enough and that everything is bypassing him. There has to be some logical explanation to how little he's being used this season.

check the video I posted in the last page, kagawa was in great positions but the players are told to play it out he wings, its moyes style

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

No
    I just don't get the amount of people who are continually calling for Kagawa to play? He has never/rarely done it in a United shirt, I've never seen him play well for them.

Easy answer to that
    A) he has never gotten a consistent run in the team to show his true quality, but it has been clear to see when played in his proper position that he has serious ability

B) the players getting in the team ahead of him. Pathetic, uncreative and completly ineffective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

While he hasn't exactly set the world alight when he has played, it is quite a leap to say he has never played well for United. Every single game I've seen him involved in he has done things that are a class above what the rest of our supposed attack minded players do.

He doesn't go on Ronaldo type mazy run's that stick in the memory. He doesn't score 35 yard screamers that will be talked about for years to come. He doesn't do much of the super sexy stuff that the Sky Sports pundits rave about.

He *always seems to find space when he has the ball even when he is marked when receiving the ball. He has that extra little bit of composure and confidence in his ability that lets him find that space. He *always makes himself available for a pass. He *always picks out a good pass to a teammate who isn't about to be swamped by the opposition. He has as good a first touch and close ball control as I have seen in a long time. His control, ability to make space and his passing to teammates actually reminds me of how Scholes used to do the same in his heyday.

While he has his faults and the jury would appear to be out as to whether he is actually suited to the physicality of the game in England, I genuinely believe that he should be one of the first names on the teamsheet every week.

* In case someone is trawling for videos where he doesn't always do the above, please insert "generally" as appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

No
    I think this nonsense of United not being able to sack Moyes because we don't want to look as bad as other clubs needs to end now. Fergie needs to admit his mistake and the board need to take the right step, the proactive step and sack Moyes. Nothing wrong with making a mistake once and admitting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

No
    WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I think this nonsense of United not being able to sack Moyes because we don't want to look as bad as other clubs needs to end now. Fergie needs to admit his mistake and the board need to take the right step, the proactive step and sack Moyes. Nothing wrong with making a mistake once and admitting it.

Fergie will not admit any mistake, at least not now.

Look at the mistakes he's made in the past, Veron and Stam spring to mind, took him years to admit he fcuked up

No
    Liam O wrote: »

No but it's become clear that his gameplan is to bomb it out to our inferior wingers or just hoof it to whoever's up front. Kagawa's getting ignored because he doesnt fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No

hahayeah-582967e09f1b30ca2539968da0a174fa.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ignore the sensationalist headline and the paper it's in.This makes decent reading.Martin Samuel isn't the first to say that our scouting network has been haphazard to say the least.In fairness to Moyes,he is trying to update it and put an actual system of scouting in place.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2571514/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-ran-Manchester-United-like-Sunday-league-team-Now-theyre-20-years-times-MARTIN-SAMUEL.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

zerks wrote: »
    Ignore the sensationalist headline and the paper it's in.This makes decent reading.Martin Samuel isn't the first to say that our scouting network has been haphazard to say the least.In fairness to Moyes,he is trying to update it and put an actual system of scouting in place.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2571514/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-ran-Manchester-United-like-Sunday-league-team-Now-theyre-20-years-times-MARTIN-SAMUEL.html

I think our scouting system has been under-achieving a lot over the last number of years. But Moyes and the current staff have done nothing to prove that they're improving this. They signed Fellaini and Mata, I could've have scouted and recommended them. It's the players like Hernandez, C.Ronaldo, Vidic that we have always signed. Moyes just seems to want the best players in the league/world and spend as much money as he can. But who can blame him, he went from shopping at Penneys with Everton to shopping at Brown Thomas with United.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

No
    zerks wrote: »

Offer Moyes a promotion to Chief Scout but tell him nicely with this great responsibility comes a pay cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Macca07 wrote: »
    But Moyes and the current staff have done nothing to prove that they're improving this.

Moyes is well known for the number of overseas matches he travels to to watch players.

jebus84 wrote: »
    check the video I posted in the last page, kagawa was in great positions but the players are told to play it out he wings, its moyes style

It's a lot harder for players to see that when they're on a pitch, anyone who has played any level of soccer will tell you that. Much easier for someone to see a player in space when they have the camera angle from slightly above. Not defending the players, but Young is one player that actually tried to make a few difficult passes that night.

Moyes is well known for the number of overseas matches he travels to to watch players.

He can go to as many matches as he wants, but if he's not going to sign the players then it's just a waste of money. Anyone could tell him that Kroos, Vidal, Fabregas and Mata are good players, he doesn't need to travel to see them play in person. I'm sure he could find a good stream to watch some games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I think our scouting system has been under-achieving a lot over the last number of years. But Moyes and the current staff have done nothing to prove that they're improving this. They signed Fellaini and Mata, I could've have scouted and recommended them. It's the players like Hernandez, C.Ronaldo, Vidic that we have always signed. Moyes just seems to want the best players in the league/world and spend as much money as he can. But who can blame him, he went from shopping at Penneys with Everton to shopping at Brown Thomas with United.

Moyes and co have had less then one season to come in assess the system and try to improve it, along with the squad and the little matter of playing games.

The ball was dropped in a few place the last 4-5 years, not addressing the MF etc, who knows where else. Moyes job will be to find out where and address these areas.

Less than one season is not enough time. I have a feeling Moyes though a lot more would be in place at the home of the champions, he did say the job is harder than he though it was going to be once he took over, he could have been surprised and referring to some weak areas he has noticed.

• Advertisement

Moyes and co have had less then one season to come in assess the system and try to improve it, along with the squad and the little matter of playing games.

The ball was dropped in a few place the last 4-5 years, not addressing the MF etc, who knows where else. Moyes job will be to find out where and address these areas.

Less than one season is not enough time. I have a feeling Moyes though a lot more would be in place at the home of the champions, he did say the job is harder than he though it was going to be once he took over, he could have been surprised and referring to some weak areas he has noticed.

I agree that SAF left the MF go to crap over the last few seasons, but Moyes had to be able to see how weak it was, even before he took over the role. He spent the summer at United trying to sign players, ended up signing one on the last day/minute of the window, Fellaini, a player he had at Everton. Why wasn't he signed in the first week of the transfer window? Did he think he would have got other players in and wouldn't need Fellaini? I really don't know. Only Moyes can answer that.

Why wasn't a LB signed to replace Evra? Why did he leave a CM and LB go in January when we are very short in cover in those areas. I'm not saying Anderson or Fabio were good enough for United, but it would be better than being short in those areas.

And Moyes was recommended to keep the backroom staff in place at United, but he decided to change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He can go to as many matches as he wants, but if he's not going to sign the players then it's just a waste of money. Anyone could tell him that Kroos, Vidal, Fabregas and Mata are good players, he doesn't need to travel to see them play in person. I'm sure he could find a good stream to watch some games.

SAF signed his fair share of gobshytes down the years, that maybe a personal scouting trip could have prevented. I don't see any problem with him scouting a as many prospects as he needs to. He's not going to bankrupt a global brand by being a busy bee for the next few months.

SAF signed his fair share of gobshytes down the years, that maybe a personal scouting trip could have prevented. I don't see any problem with him scouting a as many prospects as he needs to. He's not going to bankrupt a global brand by being a busy bee for the next few months.

I agree, he can scout players all he wants, never said that. But he's the manager, not a scout. I'd much prefer if trained the players and tried some tactics for a match.

No
    Actually can't wait for this season to be over and looking forward to the summer when Moyes gets the deserved sack by now. Officially starting up the Frank De Boer bandwagon from here on in, said already that i'd love to see him in the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Actually can't wait for this season to be over and looking forward to the summer when Moyes gets the deserved sack by now. Officially starting up the Frank De Boer bandwagon from here on in, said already that i'd love to see him in the job

Best of luck with your bandwagon of fail :pac:

• Advertisement

I agree that SAF left the MF go to crap over the last few seasons, but Moyes had to be able to see how weak it was, even before he took over the role. He spent the summer at United trying to sign players, ended up signing one on the last day/minute of the window, Fellaini, a player he had at Everton. Why wasn't he signed in the first week of the transfer window? Did he think he would have got other players in and wouldn't need Fellaini? I really don't know. Only Moyes can answer that.

Why wasn't a LB signed to replace Evra? Why did he leave a CM and LB go in January when we are very short in cover in those areas. I'm not saying Anderson or Fabio were good enough for United, but it would be better than being short in those areas.

And Moyes was recommended to keep the backroom staff in place at United, but he decided to change it.

I never said Moyes had a great couple of transfer windows but again that is one part of his job. Its rumor he didn't go for Ozil because he wanted have a look at Ozil.

In the second window there was a bid for Shaw. Madrid never got back up for Marcello so Coentrao stayed.

To answer your question about why did a CM and LB go, well thats simple, neither were good enough and we have cove in the LB area.

No
    v3ttel wrote: »
    Best of luck with your bandwagon of fail :pac:

His record is seriously impressive, unlike the bollix we have ruining everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I agree, he can scout players all he wants, never said that. But he's the manager, not a scout. I'd much prefer if trained the players and tried some tactics for a match.

I actually prefer if a manager can get his own eyes on a player, yes it's not practical for many signings, but I think it's a good thing when possible. Look at at SAF signing Bebe, he never even saw the guy play and it was a total debacle. All this scouting by Moyes could possibly be a trust tissue. I'm not up to speed with what changes he has made, if any, to the scouting system. But in time, like any new manager, he would most likely develop a stronger trust in United's scouts and thus be less inclined to travel himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I never said Moyes had a great couple of transfer windows but again that is one part of his job. Its rumor he didn't go for Ozil because he wanted have a look at Ozil.

In the second window there was a bid for Shaw. Madrid never got back up for Marcello so Coentrao stayed.

To answer your question about why did a CM and LB go, well thats simple, neither were good enough and we have cove in the LB area.

im delighted we didn't sign ozil!!! have you seen him play for arsenal?!

I never once said anything about a great transfer windows...

He didn't go for Ozil because he wanted to have a look at him. I'm sure he could have found plenty of games of Real last season on DVDs where he would've seen Ozil play. I don't understand why someone would have to be in the stands to watch him play.

Wow, we bid for Shaw, why didn't he go all out to try and get him.

Neither were good enough, but both were handy squad players. I'd certainly take Anderson over Cleverly, and Fabio is as good as Buttner. Fabio is actually a better RB than LB, and we don't have cover there.

I actually prefer if a manager can get his own eyes on a player, yes it's not practical for many signings, but I think it's a good thing when possible. Look at at SAF signing Bebe, he never even saw the guy play and it was a total debacle. All this scouting by Moyes could possibly be a trust tissue. I'm not up to speed with what changes he has made, if any, to the scouting system. But in time, like any new manager, he would most likely develop a stronger trust in United's scouts and thus be less inclined to travel himself.

I would agree that a manager should have a look at a player before signing him, but there isn't a need to travel to games, that's for scouts to do, identify players and bring them to the manager. Then the manager would review the players. The Bebe signing was a joke, should never have been signed, and was only done for the benefit of Mendes.

His record is seriously impressive, unlike the bollix we have ruining everything

winning a dutch league is hardly impressive..... sure didn't good owl steve McLaren win one of them as well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

No
    A manager is there to manage not only to take coaching sessions (coaches job) or scouting (scouts job) etc

If you identify that one of the most important areas currently lacking is staff then that is where a manager should concentrate so it's no surprise to me that he's jetting off around europe looking at players. You should have coaches in whom you trust and who are competant enough to run things in your absence. Whether that is the case or not is another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    Anyone else see the video of Pellegrini saying "I love the pressure of managing such a big team as Manchester United" :pac:

No
    bangkok wrote: »
    winning a dutch league is hardly impressive..... sure didn't good owl steve McLaren win one of them as well....

He's not got one though, he's on course for four on the spin, in four years in charge. They hadn't won it in 7 years when he took the job. Each year they've won it by winning huge matches along the way and playing brilliantly from January onwards. Unbeaten in last 14 games the last two seasons, won all 14 two years ago. Currently unbeaten in 13 to take control of the title race. Great record in the big matches. This while using the academy and playing attractive football while also losing one or two of their best players every year to foreign clubs. The fact that they've re-established their dominance on the Eredivisie despite losing Alderweireld and Eriksen this year, Van Der Wiel, Anita and Janssen the year before and Suarez and Vertonghen the year and a half before that is hugely commendable.

Eredivisie isn't the standard of a lot of leagues but it's highly competitive and difficult to win, any of the top 6 in Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, AZ, Vitesse and Twente can win it these days and all but Feyenoord and Vitesse have done so recently enough. Even saying that Feyenoord are resurgent the past couple of years and are a big club while Vitesse have recently been taken over and now have money.

Ajax may not have progressed in Europe those years but take note of the groups they've been landed with each year, an absolute murderers row of opponents each time. Even this year they still beat Barca and were robbed out of qualifying for the last 16 thanks to Balotelli.

Trust me, we want this fella in charge, he fits the bill brilliantly and he's 43

• Advertisement

He's not got one though, he's on course for four on the spin, in four years in charge. They hadn't won it in 7 years when he took the job. Each year they've won it by winning huge matches along the way and playing brilliantly from January onwards. Unbeaten in last 14 games the last two seasons, won all 14 two years ago. Currently unbeaten in 13 to take control of the title race. Great record in the big matches. This while using the academy and playing attractive football while also losing one or two of their best players every year to foreign clubs. The fact that they've re-established their dominance on the Eredivisie despite losing Alderweireld and Eriksen this year, Van Der Wiel, Anita and Janssen the year before and Suarez and Vertonghen the year and a half before that is hugely commendable.

Eredivisie isn't the standard of a lot of leagues but it's highly competitive and difficult to win, any of the top 6 in Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, AZ, Vitesse and Twente can win it these days and all but Feyenoord and Vitesse have done so recently enough. Even saying that Feyenoord are resurgent the past couple of years and are a big club while Vitesse have recently been taken over and now have money.

Ajax may not have progressed in Europe those years but take note of the groups they've been landed with each year, an absolute murderers row of opponents each time. Even this year they still beat Barca and were robbed out of qualifying for the last 16 thanks to Balotelli.

Trust me, we want this fella in charge, he fits the bill brilliantly and he's 43

the dutch league is awful..... Red Bull Salzburg hammered ajax at home recently and hammered them away as well....6-1 on agg!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No

Thats bollix imo. Anderson has proved he can be useful and is certainly better than Clev's, Fabio started a champions league final vs Barca and would certainly be better than Smalling at RB. Both clearly would have been useful in the second half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Off topic, but I love the use of the Jim Carrey gif's in this thread. I just seen Mikey's post there, and I got into a fit of 'giggles' during my lecture.

beno619 wrote: »
    Thats bollix imo. Anderson has proved he can be useful and is certainly better than Clev's, Fabio started a champions league final vs Barca and would certainly be better than Smalling at RB. Both clearly would have been useful in the second half of the season.

All Anderson proved at UTD is how come back from the summer break out of shape and how to under preform when given the chance.

Starting a champions league final is no sign of class. Valencia started a champions league final.

Anderson had enough time at UTD to prove himself but failed.

No
    bangkok wrote: »
    the dutch league is awful..... Red Bull Salzburg hammered ajax at home recently and hammered them away as well....6-1 on agg!!!

Ajax had no interest in that tie and it showed. They've never really gave much of a toss about the Europa in all honesty looking over previous years. Red Bull had been building up to that for months, wouldnt put a huge amount of stock into it. They'd be in the knockout stages of the Champions League had Balotelli not dived in the 92nd minute against them in Amsterdam and they battered Milan for 90 minutes at the San Siro and just had no luck. Theyd have rathered going out of that Europa tie if it meant beating Feyenoord at De Kuip and essentially wrapping up the title at the home of their archrivals, believe me. Certainly wouldnt discredit their achievements in Europe this year on the back of a tie they weren't arsed about.

No
    All Anderson proved at UTD is how come back from the summer break out of shape and how to under preform when given the chance.

Starting a champions league final is no sign of class. Valencia started a champions league final.

Anderson had enough time at UTD to prove himself but failed.

I can assume your talking about this season, your having a laugh if you think he was given a chance this year, let me guess Hernandez and Fabio were also given a chance ?

Well we could argue about the quality of these players all day long and while Valencia is on abominable form he's hardly a poor player.

The point being made is that they would have been useful in the second half of the season and our squad is weaker for it. We only have one recognised RB and our centre midfield is what it is.

I can assume your talking about this season, your having a laugh if you think he was given a chance this year, let me guess Hernandez and Fabio were also given a chance ?

Well we could argue about the quality of these players all day long and while Valencia is on abominable form he's hardly a poor player.

The point being made is that they would have been useful in the second half of the season and our squad is weaker for it. We only have one recognised RB and our centre midfield is what it is.

No thats a silly assumption especially as I mentioned preseaons and I also said "at UTD" meaning Andersons entire time at UTD.

He never nailed down a first team spot under Fergie either and besides the odd good display he was never reliable for us. Two managers preferred Cleverley to Anderson, that says it all really.

No
    No thats a silly assumption especially as I mentioned preseaons and I also said "at UTD" meaning Andersons entire time at UTD.

He never nailed down a first team spot under Fergie either and besides the odd good display he was never reliable for us. Two managers preferred Cleverley to Anderson, that says it all really.

Well thats incorrect because I cant remember Ando being poor at the start of a season bar this, he was awful in the 2 or 3 games he got this season.

I would also disagree that Fergie preferred Clev over Ando, the reason for him not dialling down a starting spot have been documented to death so im not sure why you want to open this debate again.

Are you honestly trying to argue that are squad is better without Ando and Fabio and that they could not have contributed in the second half of the season ?

He played in 38 games in each of his first two seasons, and the first one was the year we won the CL, and he was fantastic that year.

He hasn't been great the last few seasons with United and will be moved on in the summer, but saying that two managers preferred Clev over him doesn't really say it all. He got a bad knee injury in 2010, ruling him out for the rest of the season, again injuring his knee in 2011, and then pulled his hamstring in 2012.

So nearly every season after his first two he had an injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    We have played better when Kagawa is in the hole. Leverkuzen x2, Swansea..

Jaysus we really have been ****e this season.

Sorry for the late reply, real life has kept me busy.

The first Leverkusen game Kagawa played on the left with Rooney and RvP central.

So that leaves the second Leverkusen game and the Swansea half game (after he swapped with Januzaj to go central) where the team played better than the awful stuff they've mostly played this season against poor opposition. That's very few examples, they're against poor teams and the play was still not particularly impressive. I would argue that those slight improvements in performance were down to chance and the quality of the opposition rather than Kagawa playing in his preferred position.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement