Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pro. F wrote: »
    There is 10% less of whatever those pics are representing in the central two attacking sections this season, that's a significant swing.

Looking at the play on the pitch, the movement and the link up of the front six in particular, it is obvious that the team is playing drastically different to how they played last season. You are looking at it in the simplest of possible terms, purely on how often they use wide players and crosses. Look beyond that to how the players move off the ball in relation to each other, how they control the ball and link up with each other. It's worlds apart from the style last season, it is the same as we saw under Moyes at Everton and the idea that that is all this squad is capable of is laughable.

I watched 90% of Everton's games last season and I honestly don't know where you get this from, your opinion on Everton's style of play seems to go well against the grain

I agree with your link up point but there's nothing to show that it is Moyes' doing rather than players out of form.

I think you're wrong about our play being drastically different, IMO it is pretty much Fergie's play. The quality of crossing has dropped (even though Valencia was muck last season he's been worse this season) and quality of finishing also, but RVP and Rooney have been out. At this stage last season we had 13 goals from corners, this season it's 3 afaik, I don't have stats on hand, if someone else could dig them up it would be great, but I'm guessing a high percentage of our goals last season came from crosses, the difference between this and last season is obviously that crosses haven't lead to balls going in the net as often. I said it last season that soon this kind of play would grow ineffective unless we bring in top quality wide players, RVP bailed us out a lot last season when our gameplan wasn't working, signing Mata could signal a transition from it being our primary way of attacking, it doesn't make sense to have him and Rooney in the same team and still emphasise getting the ball wide to be crossed in.

Well what you're saying is laughable has nothing to do with what I said. I said the way we are set up currently could possibly be the best we can with the players available. Playing Mata/Januzaj and Rooney behind RVP with a midfield of Clevs and Carrick and fullbacks like Raf and Evra is suicide by football IMO, reasonably intelligent managers could set up a team to pick us apart. Similarly going with 3 CM and sacrificing width could be disastrous considering I wouldn't trust our current fit CMs to be able to provide the ball to the attacking players. So in a nutshell I think the way we are set up now is possibly the best option, and that is only in my opinion I'm not qualified(unless a grassroots badge holds any weight in here).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    You watched 90% of Evertons games?

Why can I ask :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    Trilla wrote: »
    You watched 90% of Evertons games?

Why can I ask :-)

And how?! Ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    Mourinho and Rodgers have both ruled out their sides winning the title. Rodgers is correct and Mourinho is trying to take pressure off his squad and also make himself look incredible incase they do actually win it.

Has David Moyes given up on the title yet? Has he actually said it yet.

A family member is a diehard Everton supporter and has an opinion on everything, he watches all United games and always has something to moan about when I talk to him about football and uses Everton comparisons. He's my cousin and the grandfather on this side (mothers side) was an Everton supporter but I ended up following my dad's team (United family). So I watch when I can, they all say they prefer Martinez's brand of football to Moyes but still obviously rate Moyes highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    A family member is a diehard Everton supporter and has an opinion on everything, he watches all United games and always has something to moan about when I talk to him about football and uses Everton comparisons. He's my cousin and the grandfather on this side (mothers side) was an Everton supporter but I ended up following my dad's team (United family). So I watch when I can, they all say they prefer Martinez's brand of football to Moyes but still obviously rate Moyes highly.

But 90%??? Dude I'd be impressed if you said 60%!

But 90%??? Dude I'd be impressed if you said 60%!

You're probably right and I've overshot it a bit, but I watched a lot of Everton last season and I don't know how it could be compared to United this season. The way Moyes has us playing this season is more like United last season than anything.

All IMO of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

its funny, I support Liverpool myself, but for all the stick/banter with my Utd mates, the Everton lads have been putting it up the united lads way more than us this season!
    IMO I don't think Utd will make the CL this year, but thats not the end of the world for them.
    If Januzai(spelling) was sold to PSG in the Summer that would be a bigger blow.
    Might not happen for Utd this year, but they will be back. A Sounessesque fall from the top table of English football will never happen again.

As Utd fans, would loosing Rooney really be terrible for ye?
    Just asking...

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

GSPfan wrote: »
    Mourinho and Rodgers have both ruled out their sides winning the title. Rodgers is correct and Mourinho is trying to take pressure off his squad and also make himself look incredible incase they do actually win it.

Has David Moyes given up on the title yet? Has he actually said it yet.

Vidic has, said it a couple of weeks ago, directly after a loosing match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Just asking...

For them to move forward, he should go.

Just not consistent enough to be the main anymore.

If Moyes is going to add the likes of Reus, Gundogan, Kroos, Cavani etc.

Where is Rooney going to fit in?

He gets injured all the time, takes 5 games to be back some form, then gets injured again 10 games later.

At least Van Persie doesn't take 5 games to make an impact, he's tall, fit, takes care of himself, 2 games back 2 goals.

He's consistent.

You don't know what Rooney is going to give you.

He's the 5th best player in the world now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No
    Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    For them to move forward, he should go.

Just not consistent enough to be the main anymore.

If Moyes is going to add the likes of Reus, Gundogan, Kroos, Cavani etc.

Where is Rooney going to fit in?

He gets injured all the time, takes 5 games to be back some form, then gets injured again 10 games later.

At least Van Persie doesn't take 5 games to make an impact, he's tall, fit, takes care of himself, 2 games back 2 goals.

He's consistent.

You don't know what Rooney is going to give you.

He's the 5th best player in the world now :pac:

I feel the need to ask, is it April 2013 where you are?

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I feel the need to ask, is it April 2013 where you are?

I don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I don't get it.

He means it's April fools day or you don't watch United.

Just asking...

When you need to rebuild a squad you do it around your best player of course losing him would be terrible.

Nuts102 wrote: »

That I get.

Why 2013?

Love this quote btw
    "We all know football players at the top level are blessed with high wages, it's no secret. But Rooney would play for 100 euros-a-week. You can see the fire in his eyes. It's that fire which makes him the best of the best." Three-time World Player of the Year Lionel Messi praises Rooney's passion.

:D:D:D

You're probably right and I've overshot it a bit, but I watched a lot of Everton last season and I don't know how it could be compared to United this season. The way Moyes has us playing this season is more like United last season than anything.

All IMO of course.

Everton played a different brand of football under Moyes. Pienaar and Mirallas with a free role dragging players inside and the fullbacks offer the width. How anybody who watched a handful of Everton games can say he has United playing the same way is puzzling.

When you need to rebuild a squad you do it around your best player of course losing him would be terrible.

He's not your best player though.

Van Persie is far better.

Mata will prove to be, as will Januzaj.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

"We all know football players at the top level are blessed with high wages, it's no secret. But Rooney would play for 100 euros-a-week. You can see the fire in his eyes. It's that fire which makes him the best of the best." Three-time World Player of the Year Lionel Messi praises Rooney's passion.

Hmm...not sure he's talking about our Rooney there, he's possibly one of the most greedy players I know of.

He's not your best player though.

Van Persie is far better.

Mata will prove to be, as will Januzaj.

Van Persie is a better striker and Rooney is a better player. Also Janjuaz is a long way to go before reaching those heights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No
    I don't get it.

Sorry guys, should have been clearer.

I was suggesting that anyone who thinks Wayne Rooney isn't "consistent" enough, must still be thinking of the Rooney who was frozen out by Ferguson in around April 2013.

Wayne Rooney has easily been United's best player this season and has been very consistent when he plays.

Van Persie is a better striker and Rooney is a better player. Also Janjuaz is a long way to go before reaching those heights.

How is Rooney better player though?

Serious question.

Van Persie creates loads too.

Van Persie won the title for yee last year.No way would yee have won it without him.26 goals in the league, 9 assists.

When he plays yee win games as is evidenced during his injury period when they won virtually no games. He is way more deadly than Rooney.

In his prime in 2011, the man had 30 league goals and 11 assists.

Over the season he scored 37 goals and 13 assists in 45 games.

He could beat a man back then, had deadly quick feet and skill.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Sorry guys, should have been clearer.

I was suggesting that anyone who thinks Wayne Rooney isn't "consistent" enough, must still be thinking of the Rooney who was frozen out by Ferguson in around April 2013.

Wayne Rooney has easily been United's best player this season and has been very consistent when he plays.

Still think he goes missing when yee need him.

Plenty of games this season he was needed, never stepped up and didn't look like he was going to.

I might be wrong here, but I can't remember Rooney being a match winner too many times this season.

Compared to say Suarez, RVP last season, Bale last season etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

6th February, 1958..

Captain Kenneth "Ken" Rayment.
    Tom Cable, cabin steward
    Geoff Bent, player
    Roger Byrne, player
    Eddie Colman, player
    Tommy Taylor, player
    Liam Whelan, player
    Duncan Edwards, player
    Mark Jones, player
    David Pegg, player
    Walter Crickmer, club secretary
    Tom Curry, trainer
    Bert Whalley, chief coach
    Tom Jackson, Manchester Evening News Journalist
    Archie Ledbrooke, Daily Mirror Journalist
    Henry Rose, Daily Express Journalist
    Alf Clarke, Manchester Evening Chronicle Journalist
    Donny Davies, Manchester Guardian Journalist
    George Follows, Daily Herald Journalist
    Frank Swift, News of the World Journalist(also ex Man City and England keeper)
    Eric Thompson, Daily Mail Journalist

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    I'd ave been a vocal critic of Rooney, and I was prepared for him to leave last summer (with the assumption we could have actually signed some players, ha!).

This season though, he has been fantastic. I still have issues with him from an off the pitch perspective, but I can't find criticism of his game this season. He has been the only player, bar DDG, who can say they have performed as a United player should.

I do have reservations about where he fits in a long term plan at United, but at this stage (and with background rumours) I would say he is a better bet to still be performing for United in a couple of years than RVP is. I would like RVP to lead the line with a creative trio of Mata, Rooney and Januzaj/Kagawa/Reus etc supporting him, a solid midfield backing that and full bacls providing the width. I can easily see how we fit them all in, in my own little tactical dream for United, but I don't think Moyes shares that dream.

Simply put, despite my opinion last summer, I'd be loath to lose Rooney now. Evra, Rio, Vidic, Giggs all likely to be gone from the playing staff next season (all bar Giggs just gone). We could also see Chico leave, maybe RVP (who knows). I think we will be losing enough players in the summer, senior players with experience, that it would be foolish to lose Rooney at the same time.

For the next 3 years, I'd be looking at building the squad around Rooney, Mata and Januzaj. With that period up, maybe it will be time to look at moving Rooney on (maybe not), and hopefully we will have seen the development in Januzaj we want (and that he'll still be here) along with the signing of some other younger players over the next few years, and the development of DDG, Smalling, Jones, Raf - maybe even players like Wilson and the Keane brothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Jeez Mitch i'd have great times for opinions and have a laugh at some of your negativity but this post has hit the nail on the head. I was reading it and thinking thats exactly what I'd have wrote ;)
    I do like the sound of what you are saying re building the team and bringing some players through. I do think we'll need a few young top drawers signings (Reus, Kroos, Vidal, Pogba,Contraeo) , some players of potential to be signed and introduced like Luke Shaw, Nick Powell (we could try for Moreno too, sell him to Madridand in a couple of years) some academy players Wilson, Janko, Varela etc. I think it might be too late for the Keane boys though, at 21 (could be wrong) if they're not involved now i doubt they will be and could be gone this summer
    I'd ave been a vocal critic of Rooney, and I was prepared for him to leave last summer (with the assumption we could have actually signed some players, ha!).

This season though, he has been fantastic. I still have issues with him from an off the pitch perspective, but I can't find criticism of his game this season. He has been the only player, bar DDG, who can say they have performed as a United player should.

I do have reservations about where he fits in a long term plan at United, but at this stage (and with background rumours) I would say he is a better bet to still be performing for United in a couple of years than RVP is. I would like RVP to lead the line with a creative trio of Mata, Rooney and Januzaj/Kagawa/Reus etc supporting him, a solid midfield backing that and full bacls providing the width. I can easily see how we fit them all in, in my own little tactical dream for United, but I don't think Moyes shares that dream.

Simply put, despite my opinion last summer, I'd be loath to lose Rooney now. Evra, Rio, Vidic, Giggs all likely to be gone from the playing staff next season (all bar Giggs just gone). We could also see Chico leave, maybe RVP (who knows). I think we will be losing enough players in the summer, senior players with experience, that it would be foolish to lose Rooney at the same time.

For the next 3 years, I'd be looking at building the squad around Rooney, Mata and Januzaj. With that period up, maybe it will be time to look at moving Rooney on (maybe not), and hopefully we will have seen the development in Januzaj we want (and that he'll still be here) along with the signing of some other younger players over the next few years, and the development of DDG, Smalling, Jones, Raf - maybe even players like Wilson and the Keane brothers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    How is Rooney better player though?

Serious question.

Van Persie creates loads too.

Van Persie won the title for yee last year.No way would yee have won it without him.26 goals in the league, 9 assists.

When he plays yee win games as is evidenced during his injury period when they won virtually no games. He is way more deadly than Rooney.

In his prime in 2011, the man had 30 league goals and 11 assists.

Over the season he scored 37 goals and 13 assists in 45 games.

He could beat a man back then, had deadly quick feet and skill.
    Still think he goes missing when yee need him.

Plenty of games this season he was needed, never stepped up and didn't look like he was going to.

I might be wrong here, but I can't remember Rooney being a match winner too many times this season.

Compared to say Suarez, RVP last season, Bale last season etc.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No
    A Sounessesque fall is not beyond the club, he inherited a team of players coming to the end of their careers, the 91 Liverpool team had really shot their load in their last title season in 90. It was his signings that ruined the legacy, he spent around 30m(a lot of money in early 90's) on players trying to rebuild and pretty much all of them players turned out to be duds. I worry that Moyes will do the same, you can see by Spurs how easy it is to blow 100m on players these days..

The only thing Souness did well was he really improved the youth team and the quality of the players they were producing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Club-News/2010/Feb/The-darkest-day-Feb-6th-1958.aspx
    The darkest day: Feb 6th 1958

February 6th will forever be circled on the calendars of everyone connected with Manchester United.

On that day in 1958, the darkest day in United's history, 23 people - including eight players and three members of the club's staff - suffered fatal injuries in the Munich air crash.

Flying back from a European Cup tie against Red Star Belgrade, the team plane stopped in Germany to refuel. The first two attempts to take off from Munich airport were aborted; following a third attempt, the plane crashed.

Twenty-one of the people on board died instantly. Aeroplane captain Kenneth Rayment died a few weeks later from the injuries he sustained while Duncan Edwards - one of the eight victims from the team - passed away 15 days after the crash. The tragedy is an indelible part of United's history, as is Sir Matt Busby overcoming his injuries to build another great team which won the European Cup 10 years later.

Roger Byrne (28), Eddie Colman (21), Mark Jones (24), David Pegg (22), Tommy Taylor (26), Geoff Bent (25), Liam Whelan (22) and Duncan Edwards (21) all died, along with club secretary Walter Crickmer, trainer Tom Curry and coach Bert Whalley.

Eight journalists died - Alf Clarke, Tom Jackson, Don Davies, George Fellows, Archie Ledbrook, Eric Thompson, Henry Rose, and Frank Swift who was a former Manchester City player. Plane captain Ken Rayment perished, as did Sir Matt's friend Willie Satinoff. Travel agent Bela Miklos and crew member Tom Cable also died.

We will never forget.

busby_babes_1957_203x152.jpg

article-1338984-00C59C1900000190-610_306x490.jpg

TRtRZVY_5795391-1241425.jpg

Never Forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Quandary wrote: »
    Moyes deciding not to go ahead with the Strootman signing is almost as bad as Fergie letting Pogba go.

Very fcuking annoying. Strootman was always gonna be a no brainer and he would have been a very reasonable price too.

Hope to fcuk he signs the right midfielder(s) in the Summer.

I was one banging the Strootman drum when we were first linked with him. He was excellent again last night, and has been all season for Roma, one of the main reasons why they had a blistering start in Seria A.

For £12m it was retarded not to get him. I appreciate maybe the club want someone more dynamic, but you need more then two midfielders. We play a lot of games, and there is plenty of chances for good midfielders at our club.

One thing for sure if he, regardless of age, wouldn't stand for the ****e dross some players have turned in on the pitch. Lad is in his early 20's, nailed on captain of Holland soon, and has captained his country at every underage level.

Most striking thing I noticed when I'd drop into watch him at PSV was him absolutely berating people for essentially being slack. Henry Winter described him as the orange Roy Keane when we first got linked. Sickened we didn't get him.

Watch a £12m bargain turn into a top class CM in the years to come :( One of the last true box to box midfielders in Europe at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bullvine wrote: »
    A Sounessesque fall is not beyond the club, he inherited a team of players coming to the end of their careers, the 91 Liverpool team had really shot their load in their last title season in 90. It was his signings that ruined the legacy, he spent around 30m(a lot of money in early 90's) on players trying to rebuild and pretty much all of them players turned out to be duds. I worry that Moyes will do the same, you can see by Spurs how easy it is to blow 100m on players these days..

The only thing Souness did well was he really improved the youth team and the quality of the players they were producing.

Was listening to Newstalk last night & they had a piece on that same topic.The main problem was Souness having a strange transfer policy of buying players who had a good game that he had seen,no proper long term scouting.It was said that Moyes is the opposite & perhaps actually a bit too slow in moving for players,we've been linked with quality players from all over the world and very little talk of our scouts being seen at lower division teams in England.
    Notably there has been no mention of future sell on fees which reared it's head over the last few seasons where players were seen as an investment to move onto the likes of Madrid for big money,we are United - not Crewe.I'm glad this policy seems to have been shelved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

bullvine wrote: »

Nah I can't see Moyes doing nearly as badly as Souness. Moyes is a quality manager and has just made an awesome signing. He just needs time. I wouldn't worry about legacy being lost nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Floating around the interwebs from LFC fans,

1654407_654681404590115_694761463_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Pro. F wrote: »
    I watched Everton plenty.

Well then your either prepared to hit Moyes with any baseless criticisim or don't know how to analyse football. Everton did not play the same way we are now. Its simply not true.
    @proF

You say our play now is world's apart. Apart from saying look at players touch,link play and movement...can u elaborate? And wha else is different?

Nit picking on you but would be v interested to hear your in depth analysis on this world apart change in tactics/strategy...or someone else's opinion on it.

Eveton used to have their wide men cut inside a lot and got with from the wing backs. They were strong down the left with Baines but were never as rigid as UTD. Do you recall the 1 nil defeat loss we suffered at Everton last season? With Fellaini bossing it? They played nothing like UTD are now in that game and most attacks came through the middle building from deep.

Stats will show Evertons last season under Moyes is close to Fergies last under UTD, in terms of pass lenght and type but even those stats decieve. Obvioulsy chance creation and conversion rate are a lot less than UTDs, Rooney + RVP against Anichebe + Jelavic will lead to that but even when measuring those type of stats (goal scored, conceded, possesion, pass accuracy, pass lenght, defensive actions) they make most top half teams look the same in terms of style because all of those stats are the most basic actions. You have to watch a team to see what they are like but a telling stat is they had less of a conversion rate but created more chances than UTD.

Here is Everton overall in their last Season under Moyes

http://www.squawka.com/teams/everton/stats#performance-score#english-barclays-premier-league#season-2012/2013#2#all-matches#1-38#by-match

UTDs last season under Fergie

http://www.squawka.com/teams/manchester-united/stats#performance-score#english-barclays-premier-league#season-2012/2013#2#all-matches#1-38#by-match

You can see the dip in quality up front but this is going to happen when you compare the league winners against Everton but they created more chances that season than UTD did. Moyes Everton had 479 vs Fergies 438. Everything else is a close match.

We will create less chances this season than Evertons last under Moyes. At the same point of the season we are at now Everton had created 320 chances under Moyes compared to the 242 we have created so far.

Moyes hasnt had the time he was given at Everton to build a team at UTD yet. You don't get that in one season. Of course having the same squad do worse is his fault but right now he is trying a wide style with players not giving it their all rather than having imprinted his own style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Double C wrote: »

the first response to him is just someone who deserves a good slap and needs to realize there is stuff bigger and more important than football rivalries

es_wolf.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

*Genuine question:

Is Moyes the man for a rebuild, and to be entrusted with the rumoured £200million to rebuild?

or have Man Utd so many resources that if it was the wrong decision then the impact would me minimal?

*concerned that anothera accusation of shít stirring imminent

Agueroooo wrote: »
    *Genuine question:

Is Moyes the man for a rebuild, and to be entrusted with the rumoured £200million to rebuild?

or have Man Utd so many resources that if it was the wrong decision then the impact would me minimal?

I'd trust him with it.

Not only from the rumours of the calibre of player he is looking at, and the club are trying to acquire, but he has a good track record of identifying talent, being thorough in his assessments of players and doing it well.

One of the early things I kept hearing from journalists in the UK, coaches, colleagues of his etc. was his absolute obsurd detail when it comes to scouting and evaluating players, with him wanting to witness a lot of it himself.

He had some duds at Everton, but it was only in their failings to play in the premier league. He made some pretty good signings at a club with a shoestring budget.

I'm somewhat happy that we aren't overly focusing on young players with future potential. You can see that while obviously there is plans for some longterm building and the likes to take place, Moyes recognises there is a need to stay relevant and competitive, and the club probably realise a pretty big statement needs to be made.

The players we are being linked with shows that, when it wasn't so long ago we were only ever linked with hot prospects. I don't think there will be a change in club policy, but I do think this summer we will see some of the biggest transfer action at the club for alongtime,.

No one knows if it will work or not, but even grabbing a handful of the many names and possabilities, would be fantastic.

• Advertisement

*Genuine question:

He has said "we are short in MF" but how could you miss it. He went for a LB and signed what could be a very good MF (Fellaini) for us in his first window. He signed Mata so recognises our wide areas are weak. Bid for Cesc, Sami K, Shaw and Coentrao.

So he knows what we need and has gone for quality. He scouted a lot in Jan and only the other night he watched Olympiacos play so he is putting in the hours.

What MF he sgins in the summer will go along way to showing if he going to change the style we are currently seeing. Plus whether he goes for a LB and maybe wingers and a striker.

No
    *Genuine question:

Two answers, in my opinion.

No. 1 - He is not the man to lead United to future PL wins or CL wins.
    No. 2 - I think the signings he makes will be the right type of signings - so if/when he is sacked, the group of players he is left with will be good enough for the next manager to work with.

No. 2 is as much hope though - I believe we are looking at the right type of player, so my hope is we can get them. Whether Moyes uses them correctly or gets the best out of them is another matter though.

I think United's earning potential (and realization) is big enough that we won't fade into midtable obscurity for decades if Moyes doesn't do the business. We might take a year or two to recover, but I think we have the financial muscle to push our way back into the CL spots without massive issue - and once back in the CL spots our prospects look a lot better.

*I don't mean get back into the CL spots THIS season, that is beyond us imo, but with decent spending in this summer or the next (under a new manager) we'd be right back in the fight, unless Spurs and Everton progress at an amazing rate over the next 12 months or so. I would still see Liverpool as the main rival for 4th over the next couple of seasons, and squad vs squad we aren't behind them imo. Suarez (based ONLY on talent) is the only player I would say would nailed on get into the United side long term. Coutinho, maybe Sterling, depending how they continue to progress. Point being, I don't think we'd have to spend hundreds of millions to get above them. Just a couple of smart buys and a manager doing the business (Moyes, maybe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    *Genuine question:

before I answer the question any fan of any club should be welcome to post in here. don't mind the laughing at the current situation either although I think that's best for match threads and Humour one. its banter once people can take it themselves then all good

now is Moyes the to get the Gold? as things stand no. if we get top 4, see drastic improvement in our play or win CL(dont worry I laughed too) then yes he does deserve a chance.

sadly I think he will be in charge come September. I'm talking as things stand.

*Genuine question:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88861094&postcount=881

If we get half the quality players we've been linked with then we should be in a good position squad wise,he also needs to be ruthless in clearing out the deadwood,sentiment should play no part in his thinking.
    Regardless of any talent bought,the style of play has to change radically,the dross atm will not be tolerated by fans who are used to exciting flair play and movement,City seem to have swapped places with us in this regard.

Money wise,we are sound and some huge sponsorship deals are about to kick in which will bring massive revenue.There won't be a case of what went on at Liverpool where suddenly the purse strings were tightened,look what's happened to Rogers over the last couple of windows with losing out on players despite fees not being massive compared to other clubs.United showed intent with splashing out a club record fee for Mata with promises of more to come.

Seems to be general acceptance or in somewhat resignation to us not getting 4th.

I must be dillusional as ****. I felt Liverpool would drop points, and they started already. We just need to capitalise.

I don't think it outlandish to see us snatching fourth.

Liverpools problem of recent times hasn't been the big games, its the slipups against the minnows. West Brom another prime example. Their defence is lightweight and extremely suspect. What I felt was their most important player(outside of Suarez) in Lucas is out longterm, and no replacement was signed.

If we can just get ourself consolidated for the rest of the season, get a win against Fulham and just keep churning them out. **** performances at this stage. Things aren't right at all in that squad. Churn out the results, win win win, then summer tear it down and start again, with performances and fluidity in mind.

I refuse to accept we won't be top 4...simply refuse. By the time we play Liverpool in March, it's reasonable to predict the gap will be level or there abouts, and that game will be MASSIVE.

Look at their last five fixtures. City, Chelsea, Newcastle are three of them.

The toughest we have in our last five is Everton.

There is plenty to go fellas, Liverpool are going to drop points, so are Spurs. It's about making sure we capitalise. If we can keep in touching distance coming into that last five games, it's reasonable to guess that Liverpool could drop six points in that run in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Spend enough money and the manager is less significant. Avram Grant was a John Terry penalty away from being a Champions League winning manager, Roberto Di Matteo is one. Mancini, a distinctly average manager IMO, is a Premier League winner.

No
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Seems to be general acceptance or in somewhat resignation to us not getting 4th.

I must be dillusional as ****. I felt Liverpool would drop points, and they started already. We just need to capitalise.

Liverpools problem of recent times hasn't been the big games, its the slipups against the minnows. West Brom another prime example. Their defence is lightweight and extremely suspect. What I felt was their most important player(outside of Suarez) in Lucas is out longterm, and no replacement was signed.

If we can just get ourself consolidated for the rest of the season, get a win against Fulham and just keep churning them out. **** performances at this stage. Things aren't right at all in that squad. Churn out the results, win win win, then summer tear it down and start again, with performances and fluidity in mind.

I refuse to accept we won't be top 4...simply refuse. By the time we play Liverpool in March, it's reasonable to predict the gap will be level or there abouts, and that game will be MASSIVE.

Look at their last five fixtures. City, Chelsea, Newcastle.

The toughest we have in our last five is Everton.

There is plenty to go fellas, Liverpool are going to drop points, so are Spurs. It's about making sure we capitalise.
    I think Liverpool will drop points, I just don't think United will drop 8 points less than them. The result/performance vs Stoke was a real kick in the nads.

TheDoc wrote: »

I refuse to accept we won't be top 4...simply refuse.

Why do you say that? becasue of the rebuild talk?

I still think we will get fourth. If Liverpool beat West Brom it would be harder but even then with the playing Arsenal Saturday and still having to come to OT I still would have hope. Everton have Spurs and Chelsea away coming up plus we have to go to Goodison. Both Pool and Everton will have the FA cup to deal with but no UCL.

Its going to be tight and exciting.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Spend enough money and the manager is less significant. Avram Grant was a John Terry penalty away from being a Champions League winning manager, Roberto Di Matteo is one. Mancini, a distinctly average manager IMO, is a Premier League winner.

You seriously do not believe that, do you?

all your examples are pretty poor, and in most cases a manager taking the reigns of a squad that is already well into their season, a continuing the system of the previous manager.

I will give you Mancini as I never rated the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No
    I'd have a Jose Mourinho or Alex Ferguson over a 150m transfer spend any day of the week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement