Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Another talent who had a great season with Eintracht Frankfurt last season.

He'd have cost United less than 6-7 million euros . . or even nothing if they'd got in before Bayern.

There is plenty of available talent in the Bundesliga that is being snapped up for cheap by Bayern.

Where are United?

Spending 28 million pounds of Fellaini it seems.

Was Mata worth 37 million pounds?

Both of those players are easily worthy he price tags tbh, if they had the right manager allowing them to play the right tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

No
    This makes me sad

Javier Hernandez has admitted he was delighted to join up with the Mexico squad this week because David Moyes is not 'taking him into account' at Manchester United.

LINKY : http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/javier-hernandez-david-moyes-not-6773768

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Both of those players are easily worthy he price tags tbh, if they had the right manager allowing them to play the right tactics.

The Tactics were pretty good in the only game both have played together vs Palace....?

This gives encouragement as to what Moyes would like to do given that these are his signings.

Though he did revert to 442 vs Olympiakos then which made one quite sad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

No
    scudzilla wrote: »
    This makes me sad

Javier Hernandez has admitted he was delighted to join up with the Mexico squad this week because David Moyes is not 'taking him into account' at Manchester United.

LINKY : http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/javier-hernandez-david-moyes-not-6773768
    Sport Witness ‏@Sport_Witness 1h

Javier Hernandez did not say "My club don't take me much into account", he said "Obviously I've not been involved much in recent months."
    Sport Witness ‏@Sport_Witness 1h

He also said "That word (patience) is what characterises me always, to be very patient and work." And then thanked God for all he has etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

scudzilla wrote: »
    This makes me sad

Moyes needs to drop RVP and put the little guy up top with Rooney.

He is the only real pace we have in the squad to be honest. At least only useful person anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

No

Neither are. Doesn't really matter but let's not pretend that fellaini was ever worth 28m.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Leftist wrote: »
    Neither are. Doesn't really matter but let's not pretend that fellaini was ever worth 28m.

1380855616639.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    xtal191 wrote: »
    Bh91JpQCAAA7yWF.jpg

:(

Should take the captaincy off him now and only give him a run-out in the final home game of the season as a farewell.

Not bitterness on my part, he's been brilliant for United, but we need to focus on developing a new backline so there's no point playing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No
    How do ye think Vidic has been performing recently? Is he that much of a loss?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

He'd have cost United less than 6-7 million euros . . or even nothing if they'd got in before Bayern.

There is plenty of available talent in the Bundesliga that is being snapped up for cheap by Bayern.

Where are United?

most young players in Germany want to play for Bayern.... like most young players in spain want to play for barca or real why would they leave their home country at such a young age... sure even look at home many senior English players are playing abroad?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

No
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Best of a bad bunch recently. Made some great tackles against Olympiakos otherwise it could have been worse than 2-0.

We'll definitely miss him even if he isn't as good as he used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Not fantastic and i dont regard him as a huge loss it was bound to happen at some stage soon any way

id rather see Jones/Evans/Smalling get games with each other in order to develop a CB pairing even if that does mean a couple of bad performances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

No

I think he's been mentally playing for Inter for a while now. He'd still be the best defender at the club if he was committed but it's obvious he just wants away.

The fact he's still club captain and has allowed Inter to release a pic of him signing is pretty classless imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No

Individually he hasn't looked bad at all. Still has an adequate amount of pace for a player of his style, still a beast in the air, still a great tackler and has very good positioning.

Of course when you're playing in a team that is functioning poorly as a defensive unit (as well as an attacking one) these traits don't shine through as much as they should because he's exposed far too much, far too often and there's a distinct lack of organisation at the back. I believe even if you put a player like Kompany in this current team under Moyes, he won't look as good as he should.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    Macca07 wrote: »
    Carrick is a top midfielder for a number of seasons, only thing is that he hasn't had a decent midfield partner since Hargreaves.

Cleverly has been scapegoated since he came out and said he was the scapegoat.

I agreee with Rafael.

Carrick was never a top midfielder at the upper CL level. Scholes was certainly a decent midfield partner, so it's not remotely true to say that he hasn't had one since Hargreaves.

Cleverley gave that interview in February. He was getting the ridiculous over the top abuse long before that.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    Carrick was never a top midfielder at the upper CL level. Scholes was certainly a decent midfield partner, so it's not remotely true to say that he hasn't had one since Hargreaves.

Cleverley gave that interview in February. He was getting the ridiculous over the top abuse long before that.

carrick was a top midfielder.... like all the people saying busquests was not a top midfielder when he also clearly is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No

Where are United?

This argument makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's not the first time you have used it either, thought you might have had a rethink on it tbh.

Where were Bayern when Messi was being snapped up by Barcelona? or Ronaldo being snapped up by United?

It's the most ridiculous, simplistic line of attack on a scouting system you could come up with :rolleyes:

No

Vidic has been our best centre-back, but that's nothing special this season. The whole team has defended poorly, but Vidic is still top quality.

Have to say, I'm not happy about how public his leaving United and joining Inter has been. Why couldn't he just keep it quiet until the end of the season? Is he doing it that way because he is pissed off at the club or what?

No
    bangkok wrote: »
    carrick was a top midfielder.... like all the people saying busquests was not a top midfielder when he also clearly is

Carrick was never a top midfielder.

Carrick was never a top midfielder.

he was the best midfielder in England 2 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Vidic is still a big loss, even not at his best he is better than 90% of the CB's out there.

Carrick has been very good for us for many seaons. He is getting on now though and should be replaced along with Cleverly.

Its hard to feel too sorry for Clev. I don't agree with the England petition things but he has failed to improve himself despite numerous chances for a long time.

Look at how Ramsey and Henderson reacted to lots of criticism. Clev has gotten worse despite as many chances. Can you imagine Kagawa getting the same amount of game time and regressing. Have you ever heard of a petition trying to stop a player joining the England national team? As silly as it is, it does show that people obviously see what we have seen and that is how poor his game is, and they want it nowhere near the world cup squad.

Clev's display against Olympiakos was as poor a MF display as I have seen. He has no bravery. Its all simple, safe and ineffective and in his last game the simple and safe stuff was even poor.

Maybe if he got his head down from day one and actually worked at his games instead of trying to brand himself from the get go (TC23) and thinking he was already a star he would have become a good player.

No
    Vidic has been our best centre-back, but that's nothing special this season. The whole team has defended poorly, but Vidic is still top quality.

Have to say, I'm not happy about how public his leaving United and joining Inter has been. Why couldn't he just keep it quiet until the end of the season? Is he doing it that way because he is pissed off at the club or what?

There was a couple of reports, admittedly from not great sources, that Vidic is very unhappy at how the club handled negotiations of a contract extension. Joey Barton, for all that his word is worth, said he heard rumours that Vidic is even changing in separate dressing rooms over the contract issues.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfer-news-nemanja-3116371

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/26/is-nemanja-vidic-refusing-to-change-with-manchester-united-team-mates-4320748/

Nothing solid there at all but how his transfer to Inter has been handled is very strange.

Blatter wrote: »
    There was a couple of reports, admittedly from not great sources, that Vidic is very unhappy at how the club handled negotiations of a contract extension. Joey Barton, for all that his word is worth, said he heard rumours that Vidic is even changing in separate dressing rooms over the contract issues.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfer-news-nemanja-3116371

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/26/is-nemanja-vidic-refusing-to-change-with-manchester-united-team-mates-4320748/

Nothing solid there at all but how his transfer to Inter has been handled is very strange.

cant believe you just quoted joey barton

he was the best midfielder in England 2 years ago

Also he was the best forward passer in Europe very recently. Some people on here are genuinely clueless.

BIKTf2GCcAAMIGW.png

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

is it not bad form the current captain getting photographed signing for another team with over 10 games to go ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    is it not bad form the current captain getting photographed signing for another team with over 10 games to go ?

It is bad form.

We've been in bad from since early June 2013.

Also he was the best forward passer in Europe very recently. Some people on here are genuinely clueless.

BIKTf2GCcAAMIGW.png

couldn't agree more....carrick is a class player for the role he is playing

No
    cant believe you just quoted joey barton

I contextualised the reference but that obviously went over your head.

• Advertisement

couldn't agree more....carrick is a class player for the role he is playing

He has been great for us but I think his time is up. This season he has been average but we could do better than our current MF duo.

We have Fellaini who can play the holding role. We should really get in two CM's, keep Carrick for a couple of season as a squad option and see how Fletch progresses.

Blatter wrote: »
    I contextualised the reference but that obviously went over your head.

you hardly thought though that vidic was changing in another dressing room did you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

And in between 2 huge CL games. It's utterly disgraceful behaviour from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No
    The fact he's still club captain and has allowed Inter to release a pic of him signing is pretty classless imo.

Good point. I actually think it's usually a bad idea to name a Club Captain who is in the last year of their contract and unlikely to resign (or be resigned). Unless that player is a fixture with no intention of playing elsewhere ever and is due to retire. At the very least it raises unwanted speculation in the media; at very worst you could have your dressing room leader spending a lot of their off field energies arranging a new deal and resentful of the club that they aren't offering an extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

If the new team Moyes is supposed to be building is of the standard where Fellaini is a starter I'll be disappointed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

If the new team Moyes is supposed to be building is of the standard where Fellaini is a starter I'll be disappointed.

I'll be very happy. Because Fellaini is a great fit for where we need him to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

No
    Do you not get bored of trying to instigate arguments with Pro.F on here every day?

Its nothing to do with instigating arguments and I'm sure Pro F can speak for himself but I agreeing with another posters view on Carrick.

I get tired of listening to one of our best players not getting the praise he clearly deserves and other clear misinformation on the thread and when its called out, proven wrong by someone else their opinion is labelled as bollocks.

What do you think of Carrick?

Fellaini is a good player
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'll be very happy. Because Fellaini is a great fit for where we need him to play.

Lets not forget his follow up signing was Mata.

• Advertisement

and followed up by getting rooney signing a contract

and followed up by getting rooney signing a contract

Tried to sign Cesc also and brought Januzaj into the first team.

Moyes level of ambition for the type of player UTD needs is spot on so far, if he could just get the tactics in line with the ambition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not sure if posted before,rare footage of the last 3 minutes of the '99 ECL Final.
    It was taken by a camera behind Bayern's goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No
    I think that Rooney contract could turn out to be a bit of a poisoned chalice. If, as expected, United miss out on the Champions League next season, they’re going to have entice potential transfer targets with higher transfer wages anyway and if you’re looking at signing genuine world class players, they’re going to be asking for wage parity with Rooney.

As for Vidic, he's just been very stupid - shades of Paul Ince moving from West Ham to United. Wouldn't be surprised if he's frozen out for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

No
    you hardly thought though that vidic was changing in another dressing room did you?

The lads on football weekly last week were talking about this and one of them brought up a situation where some members of a team were getting changed in the car park.
    So stuff like this does happen in football.
    I can't remember the team maybe someone else can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

rooney has been one of the best players in the premier league last 10 years easily and yet people don't think he is world class :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Feel its more UK media frenzy over evidence. I dont rate Rooney world class. And he should be.

Every season without doubt will have barren spells with no goals or assists and is suspect to a layoff with an injury.

If he was world class he would play one position...not be shuffled around. Its not an indication of how versatile he is...its an indication of him not bring world class that you wouldn't think of playing him out of position.

Just my two cents. But struggle to justify him as genuinelly world class....a term that's lost a lot of meaning through the years.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    The lads on football weekly last week were talking about this and one of them brought up a situation where some members of a team were getting changed in the car park.
    So stuff like this does happen in football.
    I can't remember the team maybe someone else can.

yes it happens alright, in the lower pub team leagues where there are no dressing rooms to tog out in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

That poll a lot closer then I thought.

Wonder is it skewered by non thread regulars messing with the "keep Moyes for more lols" thing

This Vidic stuff annoying me now. Has been somewhat horrendous this season. Wouldn't argue with him being stripped of captaincy now and frozen out.

**** waiting until the end of the season. Big decisions need to happen now. Too much "he was a great servant" and all that rubbish. Utterly unproffesional and has stained his rep a bit with me.

Be fine if he was playing well. He has been pretty poor and this just provides ammunition thstchis head is elsewhwrre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    TheDoc wrote: »
    That poll a lot closer then I thought.

Wonder is it skewered by non thread regulars messing with the "keep Moyes for more lols" thing

This Vidic stuff annoying me now. Has been somewhat horrendous this season. Wouldn't argue with him being stripped of captaincy now and frozen out.

**** waiting until the end of the season. Big decisions need to happen now. Too much "he was a great servant" and all that rubbish. Utterly unproffesional and has stained his rep a bit with me.

Be fine if he was playing well. He has been pretty poor and this just provides ammunition thstchis head is elsewhwrre

Ya think lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It is bad form to have that photographed and a two fingers to us United fans imo. He's not the same player he was a couple of seasons ago, so we'll survive without him. Personally, I couldn't careless if he didn't play again for the rest of the season after seeing that photo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement