Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No

Journalist comes up with the conclusion that rvp will be sold because he was subbed off having received 1 yellow card and with a good chance of getting another therefore getting banned for the liverpool game

Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Journalist comes up with the conclusion that rvp will be sold because he was subbed off having received 1 yellow card and with a good chance of getting another therefore getting banned for the liverpool game

Brilliant!

Did you actually read it?

Ketchup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    A star???. A Star???.

May i remind you that stars are bright.

Dammit owned :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Brilliant!

Yeah he also said RVP didn't contribute despite assisting the first goal.

The journalist's reasoning may be off, but I would probably sell RVP this summer. We should still get a decent fee for him, and it will allow us to use Rooney as a striker and play Kag and Mata more, and in their preferred positions. It might also allow us to hold onto Chicharito, and instead of buying in a big-name striker, could bring back Henriquez and use him as 4th choice. Would free up more funds to get a top CM in too.

If Welbeck holds his current form until the end of the season, I wouldn't have a problem with him/Chicharito as the second striker next season. This is especially true if we stay with a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 formation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Welbeck is not a title winning second striker. Grand third, and in good form this season, but if RVP goes, we need another striker brought in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No
    Welbeck is not a title winning second striker. Grand third, and in good form this season, but if RVP goes, we need another striker brought in.

Maybe, it depends if he wants to move away from 4-4-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Wellbeck would be banging in goals like Sturridge if playing first choice for a big club imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    Yeah he also said RVP didn't contribute despite assisting the first goal.

The journalist's reasoning may be off, but I would probably sell RVP this summer. We should still get a decent fee for him, and it will allow us to use Rooney as a striker and play Kag and Mata more, and in their preferred positions. It might also allow us to hold onto Chicharito, and instead of buying in a big-name striker, could bring back Henriquez and use him as 4th choice. Would free up more funds to get a top CM in too.

If Welbeck holds his current form until the end of the season, I wouldn't have a problem with him/Chicharito as the second striker next season. This is especially true if we stay with a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 formation.

The poor journalism came to a conclusion that I agree with, a pacey striker with the addition if a midfielder and left back and we'd be a title contending side next season without a doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads this is a good performance and nothing more. Lets see how we are after Citeh, Olympiakos and Liverpool. WBA are in an even worse situation than we are at present. All the Pro- Moyes supporters need to check your enthusiasm until those matches are done. Going out to Olympiakos in CL and lose those 2 league games and the pressure is right back on him.
    I've said all along that I'll give him time if there's something discernible to see in his team set up and style of play if results are going badly (we've seen some good performances in the league but its against Palace and WBA). If we see the return of Young, Valencia and Cleverly in the next game, when that style of play clearly doesn't work then I'm afraid Mr Moyes is on borrowed time. Setting his team up defensively is not acceptable for our club.
    We're Manchester United
    Attack
    Attack
    Attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads hate to harp on here on this but would it be worth trying to get (heaven forgive me for saying this) Ashley Cole if he's available on a free this summer and sign Luke Shaw too. Seems like Shaw is a big fan of Cole's so I think we'd have a great chance to get him if Cole was at the club!!!! Imagine those two as LB cover for next season We'd have a solid defensive LB in Cole and a prodigious talent in Shaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    @ManUtd wrote:
    Moyes on Kagawa: "We have competition for places with Adnan and Mata, but Shinji will play a lot more from now until the end of the season."

AMEN BROTHERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No

Is this based on him starting 20 odd games up front on the bounce for United ? There are question marks over him, Jones and Smalling the only way we will find out is by giving them a chance. I think they have shown enough in there careers so far to be given this chance.

Sturridge didnt look so great playing out wide and sitting on the bench to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

brinty wrote: »
    Lads hate to harp on here on this but would it be worth trying to get (heaven forgive me for saying this) Ashley Cole if he's available on a free this summer and sign Luke Shaw too. Seems like Shaw is a big fan of Cole's so I think we'd have a great chance to get him if Cole was at the club!!!! Imagine those two as LB cover for next season We'd have a solid defensive LB in Cole and a prodigious talent in Shaw.

No.

Cole goes in the same bracket as Suarez for me: great player, but a terrible human being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

AMEN BROTHERS

Hopefully he's not just being put in the shop window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    United should be playing without nerves now. Season is over. Let the team go out and express themselves.

We saw some of that today. Fellaini starting to show what the brings to the team. The real tests to come though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

No
    United should be playing without nerves now. Season is over. Let the team go out and express themselves.

We saw some of that today. Fellaini starting to show what the brings to the team. The real tests to come though.

Yes, start bangin' out some Charles Wright in the dressing room to get them in the right frame of mind !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    beno619 wrote: »
    Is this based on him starting 20 odd games up front on the bounce for United ? There are question marks over him, Jones and Smalling the only way we will find out is by giving them a chance. I think they have shown enough in there careers so far to be given this chance.

Sturridge didnt look so great playing out wide and sitting on the bench to Chelsea.

I could base it on what I think is spotty finishing ability and the fact he loses the head when put in front of goal sometime, but I won't, cause he's showing this year he can be good in front of goal when given a chance.

More, I'd ask a question with a question; would you put Welbeck in the same bracket as RVP and Rooney? A second striker, to me, needs to be nearly as good as the first, cause if the first gets hurt, the second might need to lead a campaign for a season. When RVP was hurt this season, we knew we had Rooney so no major need to panic. But if we sell RVP, I would want a stronger second to Rooney than Welbeck, simply because while Welbeck shows he can be good, I've seen nothing in his years at the club to suggest he could lead a team to the top of the table.

He's not a Rooney, a RVP, an Aguero. He's good but he's simply not that good.

Likewise, I feel he doesn't change a game, he doesn't offer anything different off the bench. He's grand when he's on to kill a game off, like today, but if we were behind, would you trust Welbeck to come on, turn a game on its head and allow a new tactic to be played?

So again I'll say....if RVP goes, I feel we would definitly need a superior second striker to Welbeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    @PeteBoyle70 @thebettybus next week pete want whole stadium singing clev song!!!

Christ almighty brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

No
    Such a refreshing performance to see today, the line up is just what I wanted to see finally! I hope we line up against Liverpool similar, put them on the back foot, try control the game. Fellaini played very well and I think he could become very important for us..

RvP looks completely disillusioned, uninterested, almost like he's just waiting on this season to be over so he can head off, could see Juventus or someone like that going for him, circa £15-18m..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Missed game today, came back late from training and decided to go with an Illfated attempt at streaming rather than make my way to the pub... Seems like a corner has been turned...a new dawn...next year will be our year... Looking forward to MOTD

Maybe I'm a magpie...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No

Hopefully we can throw a few spanners in the works,starting next weekend.

No
    I could base it on what I think is spotty finishing ability and the fact he loses the head when put in front of goal sometime, but I won't, cause he's showing this year he can be good in front of goal when given a chance.

More, I'd ask a question with a question; would you put Welbeck in the same bracket as RVP and Rooney? A second striker, to me, needs to be nearly as good as the first, cause if the first gets hurt, the second might need to lead a campaign for a season. When RVP was hurt this season, we knew we had Rooney so no major need to panic. But if we sell RVP, I would want a stronger second to Rooney than Welbeck, simply because while Welbeck shows he can be good, I've seen nothing in his years at the club to suggest he could lead a team to the top of the table.

He's not a Rooney, a RVP, an Aguero. He's good but he's simply not that good.

Likewise, I feel he doesn't change a game, he doesn't offer anything different off the bench. He's grand when he's on to kill a game off, like today, but if we were behind, would you trust Welbeck to come on, turn a game on its head and allow a new tactic to be played?

So again I'll say....if RVP goes, I feel we would definitly need a superior second striker to Welbeck.

Sound argument, it would be a gamble.

We could go into next year with Rooney,Chicha and Welbeck or Rooney,Welbeck and a new forward. If we play the kind of football we did today there's no reason why Welbz and Chicha wont be able to score the goals we need imo.

An argument to be made that he did change the game today, with his pace and directness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

10 man Spurs losing to Chelsea,we've a real chance of overtaking them.Top 4 is gone but we can finish the season with a bit of respectability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We had a good game today, against Palace and the first half against Fulham off the top of my head. Seems to be all bottom teams our tactics are effective against, which isn't a surprise.

The Liverpool game should be an indicator of where we are, what Moyes did in the game at Anfield didn't work so we'll see if he's learned anything, or from any other game against the top teams we've played where he's set up negatively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

There's nothing to be gained from a match like this.

WBA, like Palace, were just awful.

United are too slooowwwwwwww in their attacks. Fellaini is waltzing around the pitch as if he's on a stroll and he was in central midfield.

No standards are being set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

No

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    Chelsea beating spurs so its good for us we might take 5th ( I know its still poor but let's think positive)

No

United are too slooowwwwwwww in their attacks. Fellaini is waltzing around the pitch as if he's on a stroll and he was in central midfield.

Even though Welbecks goal was pure sexy.

Even if he had been going around on crutches today he was more mobile than anything previous.He actually laid off the ball & moved into space unlike a certain other player.

• Advertisement

Marouane Fellaini had 98 touches, the most in the game. Won 4 successful aerial-duels and made 5 interceptions, more than any other player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Hococop wrote: »
    Chelsea beating spurs so its good for us we might take 5th ( I know its still poor but let's think positive)

Seems to me that the manager MUFC should have appointed has the team who did appoint him 7 points clear at the top with ten games left. . . . and on their way to a third league title under him.

Of course. . Moyes needs time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    You can always rely on certain people to pop in and tell us not to be any way happy about a result. Tiresome stuff at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

No
    Christ almighty brothers

Sad that it even has to be said, sums up an awful lot of the clubs "supporters".

No
    You can always rely on certain people to pop in and tell us not to be any way happy about a result. Tiresome stuff at this stage.

3-0 away from home is just awful likeeeee.

No
    2 decent away results. It seems its at home is the real problem.

Arsenal and Liverpool dropped points here and City only won 3-2 at Hawtorns, so its not bad result and performance.

You have to give credit where its due too.

Every point dropped is same, but that defeat to Stoke and Draw to Fulham are the real killers. Extra 5 points now and we might be thinking different.

Whats done is done, and we are where we are, because thats where at this minute we deserve to be.

• Advertisement

Arsenal are the real 4th place team I think and they have Spurs, City, Everton and Chelsea coming up in that order.

whatever little chance there is of making up those 11 points, we can cling on to until it's mathematically impossible.

You couldn't ask for a better last 7 games for us, a top Fergie team would be expecting 21 points from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No
    ifx8yOojQtSdn.gif

They also look happy or just relieved

OptimisticSparseJaeger.gif

No
    That was a terrific finish by Welbeck.

More of the same please

jones2clo3n.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

No
    Good performance but it really felt like one of those games towards the end of the season where there is nothing to play for and a lot less pressure on the players. Fellaini was immense and I was glad to see one or two moves attempted through the middle, with one of them resulting in Welbeck's goal.

Judging by Van Persie's general demeanour, I think he wants out. It's well documented that one of the reasons he came to United was to play with Fergie and now he's gone, it's understandable, given his fickle nature, why he may be a bit discontent. In saying that, he put in a decent shift today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

zerks wrote: »
    Marouane Fellaini had 98 touches, the most in the game. Won 4 successful aerial-duels and made 5 interceptions, more than any other player.

You can prove anything with statistics!!

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    You can prove anything with statistics!!

I watched the game,his play backed them up,it's easy to have high passing stats when you spend 90 minutes passing it 5 yards sideways or backwards.He added mobility to our midfield,the only problem was early in the game when he moved forward,Carrick hadn't the speed or mobility to cover for him when WBA broke through the middle.That would be ruthlessly exposed by the likes of Liverpool who attack with speed.Nevertheless it was refreshing to see a midfield that didn't resemble stop motion animation.
    If I see Young & Valencia start next weekend I'll crack up.Time to be brave & go out to win all our games instead of trying not to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    Wellbeck would be banging in goals like Sturridge if playing first choice for a big club imo.

He's better than Sturridge in some ways but not as clinical I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    If I see Young & Valencia start next weekend I'll crack up.Time to be brave & go out to win all our games instead of trying not to lose.

I agree with you but in fairness to Young he has upped it a bit whereas for Tony V, well he's gone down hill rapido style

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Isnt it ironic that by playing it safe and trying not to lose he picks Young and Valencia and 90% of the time we like a conference team and lose anyway! When will the penny drop that we are most effective with;
    Carrick Fellaini
    Mata Rooney Januzaj
    RVP
    but instead our big game lineup is more often than not;

Valencia Cleverley Carrick Young
    RVP Rooney

Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

No
    Rvp should be dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Rvp should be dropped

on todays evidence he should

If he was dropped for the Liverpool game and we lose the knives would be out for Moyes

I agree though, the team would be better at the moment with Rooney up top and Kagawa behind

No
    yomtea98 wrote: »
    Rvp should be dropped

Still dont think Moyes will have the bottle.

A win next week and I think he'll get a lot of people back onside, heck more positive line ups and play towards the end of the season and I dont think anyone would begrudge a 2nd season.

He has made this job much harder than it needed to be but there could be light at the end of the tunnel if a switch was finally flipped today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

No
    Fellaini was good today alright.

I am dreading the next 3 games though

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement