Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    zerks wrote: »
    jones2clo3n.gif

That was the closest he got to Anichebe all day. If he's going to be a centre-back, he needs to seriously up his game. He was very poor today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No
    Welbecks' goal, really class finish from him. The nerves seem too come back again after we went 1 up but thankfully the lads pushed through and got a few more goals in the bag.

RVP, he really doesn't look like he is a happy bunny at all. I think Evra being close by helped with the ref opting to get Evra to have a word with him.

Seen this on reddit
    Negredo's had a mint season scoring 9 league goals in 24 games, Welbeck's been ****e scoring 9 league goals in 18 games..

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    J. Marston wrote: »
    That was the closest he got to Anichebe all day. If he's going to be a centre-back, he needs to seriously up his game. He was very poor today.

First game back from injury in an injury hit season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    Thought Jones had a good enough game today - needs to improve, obviously, but needs a run of games at CB imo.

Daily Mail reporting Cleverley is getting a new contract. I'd be a defender of Cleverley, but think we should be evaluating his place in the squad next season (vs our better new midfielders) before handing him a big new contract.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Trilla wrote: »
    He's better than Sturridge in some ways but not as clinical I think

Sturridge is so under rated its criminal. even by the English media and manager.

Im afraid Welbeck aint fit to tie his laces from the Sturridge we have seen this, and last season.

I don't think any amount of games for Welbeck would see become as clinical as Sturridge, but if there is one thing (albeit very slight) that Welbeck might have is a tad bit more pace, but im clutching at straws here to validate your point in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    Sturridge is so under rated its criminal. even by the English media and manager.

Im afraid Welbeck aint fit to tie his laces from the Sturridge we have seen this, and last season.

I don't think any amount of games for Welbeck would see become as clinical as Sturridge, but if there is one thing (albeit very slight) that Welbeck might have is a tad bit more pace, but im clutching at straws here to validate your point in the slightest.

No offense, and maybe this is a personal thing but I'll never take your seriously with a username like that being a Liverpool fan.

I should change mine to "CollymoreClosingInnnnn"!!

Sturridge is the better striker btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Give over, nobody is under rating Sturridge

He clearly said Welbeck is better in some areas, which he is, Sturridge is obviously more clinical

There's no need to make a mountain out of it

Give over, nobody is under rating Sturridge

He clearly said Welbeck is better in some areas, which he is, Sturridge is obviously more clinical

There's no need to make a mountain out of it

I apologise the underrated comment was in general and not directed in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Sturridge has scored 28 goals this season.

Welbeck has 27 in 6 years. Apparently

This is not bashing him, but does show him up to a point.

• Advertisement

I apologise the underrated comment was in general and not directed in here.

Even in general he's not underrated, unless you're talking about 3/4 years ago when you highly rated him and others didn't I honestly don't know where you're getting it from

He has 18 goals in 20 games, he gets a justifiable amount of praise, definitely not less than he should, look at the whole SAS thing. He'll probably be one of the first names on England's team sheet this summer.

What websites or newspapers do you read where he's so underrated? Maybe stop reading them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sturridge is obviously a better striker atm. His goal scoring abilities are only outdone by his arrogance. He makes it really easy for people to hate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Sturridge is obviously a better striker atm. His goal scoring abilities are only outdone by his arrogance. He makes it really easy for people to hate him.

That bizarre celebration Sturridge does is cringeworthy too.

No
    Is he really that arrogant? The celebration is bit cringe, but Arrogant? am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Van Persie is crap and should be sold.

I don't actually mean that. I'm just trying to steer the topic of conversation away from Liverpool-themed discussion.

No

I don't actually mean that. I'm just trying to steer the topic of conversation away from Liverpool-themed discussion.

Was just about to go mad

Just about:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lol at Sturridge being underrated. He's the 'OMG we have the best players why aren't the media falling over themselves to proclaim us the best team ever' player du jour. See Suarez earlier in the season and Coutinho last season. Sturridge is in form now but will have to do it for a good bit longer over an entire season to convince me. Still prone to droughts and playing within himself when things aren't going his way

Even in general he's not underrated, unless you're talking about 3/4 years ago when you highly rated him and others didn't I honestly don't know where you're getting it from

He has 18 goals in 20 games, he gets a justifiable amount of praise, definitely not less than he should, look at the whole SAS thing. He'll probably be one of the first names on England's team sheet this summer.

What websites or newspapers do you read where he's so underrated? Maybe stop reading them

One of the Sunday Supplement guys (name alludes me but looking for the tweet) actually hadn't got him in his WC lineup... he is underrated imo and it has only been in recent weeks that people's eyes have been opened.

I really do think the arrogance tag was mistaken as well.

seems like a real decent guy with strong religious back ground

Liam O wrote: »
    Lol at Sturridge being underrated. He's the 'OMG we have the best players why aren't the media falling over themselves to proclaim us the best team ever' player du jour.

Ooooooo K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    So how about that Manchester United aye?

Would you rather United to win 3-0 in the CL game and two losses in the league against City and Liverpool, or two wins in the league and out of the CL?

With the CL it all depends on the draw, we could get through and get Bayern, two wins in the league could see us 5 off 4th with 8 games to go.

3 wins is probably beyond us....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    Im convinced they have a bot that seeks out anything Liverpool related in this thread and starts bombarding us then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

No
    Sturridge is great .Still a little selfish but if he keeps scoring I doubt the Liverpool fans will care .

Headshot wrote: »
    Im convinced they have a bot that seeks out anything Liverpool related in this thread and starts bombarding us then

Nope.

But one of the regulars is on the LFC Superthread payroll.

dum da dum dum

:)

No
    BiPKR2XIYAAm9Gs.jpg

BiPIkkMCYAAfVKp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭limpdd

guy with strong religious back ground

Usually goes hand in hand with arrogance tbh :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

No
    I'd like to know why having a religious background has anything to do with being a decent guy?

I doubt all those religious priests that buggered young lads were decent guys!

Know this has nothing to do with football but either does having a religious background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

No
    Liam O wrote: »
    Lol at Sturridge being underrated. He's the 'OMG we have the best players why aren't the media falling over themselves to proclaim us the best team ever' player du jour. See Suarez earlier in the season and Coutinho last season. Sturridge is in form now but will have to do it for a good bit longer over an entire season to convince me. Still prone to droughts and playing within himself when things aren't going his way

Prone to droughts since when? Playing within himself ... great come back :rolleyes: ... it is interesting that the English media would be falling over themselves if it were certain other players. Sturridges scoring record is impressive. To even compare Welbeck in the same breath is embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    On the Cleverly thing, by itself, it doesn't bother me.

Its more in conjunction with the fear I've expressed previously; namely the players we want gone or replaced are signing new deals, while the players who are being linked away are the backbone of the team right now. I seriously worry next season, Moyes will still have Young, Val and Clev in the first team, while RVP and others are winning things elsewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

No
    Today when United's team was named I was confident of the win.

Why does Moyes not pick a team like that every time?

Cleverly, Young and Valencia don't play, and they win comfortably.
    Hmmm.......

Probably just restin g them for the next game or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    Prone to droughts since when? Playing within himself ... great come back :rolleyes: ... it is interesting that the English media would be falling over themselves if it were certain other players. Sturridges scoring record is impressive. To even compare Welbeck in the same breath is embarrassing.

Sturridges goal scoring is phenomenal but I would still say Welbeck is a better all round player, If neither of them scored goals Welbeck would bring more to a side..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

No
    So, anyways after today's episode of David Moyes: False Dawns, i'm sure confidence is high but West Brom are fairly rubbish in all fairness and we're still to beat a team outside the bottom 5 in 2014. It's nice not to lose for a change though

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realise i'd posted this in the Liverpool thread by the looks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Missed the game today. IKEA trip for new house :(

Posted a while back about a conversation I had on a stag about Fellaini. Lot of the lads singing my praises tofay. On Kakao.

Fellaini had a good defensive game I take it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Missed the game today. IKEA trip for new house :(

Been there the last 2 weekends. It's f**king hell on earth, I'll never step foot in it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

beno619 wrote: »
    Sturridges goal scoring is phenomenal but I would still say Welbeck is a better all round player, If neither of them scored goals Welbeck would bring more to a side..

Just in from the pub?

No
    Today when United's team was named I was confident of the win.

Why does Moyes not pick a team like that every time?

Cleverly, Young and Valencia don't play, and they win comfortably.
    Hmmm.......

Probably just restin g them for the next game or something

He only picks a non cowardly selection against sides he's not worried about. In this case the bottom 5. Currently not arsed at all if we win these games or not, it's nice to win and all but they're all dead rubbers really and all we achieve with good wins against struggling sides is less of a chance that Moyes gets canned by the summer. We really don't want him doing a Kenny Dalglish style splurge on a load of ****, the club can't afford it.

No
    We have lost 9 games this year apparently when Valencia has started.

Now its not just down to him, but it does show that we have struggled when playing out and out Wingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    Decent performance today, but nothing amazing. Fellaini, Rafael, Smalling and Jones all did well imo. I thought Mata did really well linking up play all over the pitch. And even though Januzaj was fairly quiet, himself and Mata offer a hell of a lot more than Young (on the left) and Valencia.

No
    In your opinion....anyway moving on.

Of course it's my opinion. Do I have to write "imo" at the end of every sentence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

beno619 wrote: »

If you had the choice which would you prefer, a Sturridge goal scoring machine up front or a better "all round player" (whatever that actually means) who scores very little?

Sorry for jumping into your thread lads, saw something about Sturridge but didn't expect it to be in this thread.

I'll depart nice and quietly now!

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

No
    BenThere wrote: »
    If you had the choice which would you prefer, a Sturridge goal scoring machine up front or a better "all round player" (whatever that actually means) who scores very little?

Sorry for jumping into your thread lads, saw something about Sturridge but didn't expect it to be in this thread.

I'll depart nice and quietly now!

Ben

You spelled bye wrong

No
    We have lost 9 games this year apparently when Valencia has started.

Now its not just down to him, but it does show that we have struggled when playing out and out Wingers.

Could attribute that to Valencia being crap all year more than anything.

No
    Do any United fans still think Welbeck should never play for the club again?

No
    spiralism wrote: »
    Could attribute that to Valencia being crap all year more than anything.

True. Been like playing with 10 men most the time.

No
    True. Been like playing with 10 men most the time.

Pretty much count it as much when i see him on the team sheet. Has not offered a solitary thing all season in all honesty. For all the stick Young gets Valencia has been worse all year and Young offers far more as a player. Since 2012 Valencia's been found out imo, you show him off his right foot and he's a league one standard footballer.

• Advertisement

No
    spiralism wrote: »
    Pretty much count it as much when i see him on the team sheet. Has not offered a solitary thing all season in all honesty. For all the stick Young gets Valencia has been worse all year and Young offers far more as a player. Since 2012 Valencia's been found out imo, you show him off his right foot and he's a league one standard footballer.

Have to say I have been much more pleased with Youngs performances since the Norwich game in Christmas.

Nothing too special, but getting more flak then he deserves.

He was by far NOT the worst player in Greece like some thought.

No
    Have to say I have been much more pleased with Youngs performances since the Norwich game in Christmas.

Nothing too special, but getting more flak then he deserves.

He was by far NOT the worst player in Greece like some thought.

Definitely not. I don't think he's amazing now either but he's won me back to some extent to the point where i definitely think he has a place as a squad player.

Who was the worst player in greece is like asking who the coldest penguin in the south pole is in fairness, every last one of them looked dreadful really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No

I was wondering who'd go for it hook, line and sinker. Wasn't far wrong!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Pro. F wrote: »
    Do any United fans still think Welbeck should never play for the club again?
    Not sure I would go as far as to put him on that list. He's worth taking on for 15 mins at the end of a game we're 3-0 up when we want to give Rooney a breather.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Not sure I would go as far as to put him on that list. He's worth taking on for 15 mins at the end of a game we're 3-0 up when we want to give Rooney a breather.....

Or from the start if it's a Champions League game v. Madrid! :pac: Them were the days! :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement