Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

beno619 wrote: »
    Sturridges goal scoring is phenomenal but I would still say Welbeck is a better all round player, If neither of them scored goals Welbeck would bring more to a side..

Ara now I wouldn't even go there. Liverpool fans sometimes used to make that argument about Heskey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Ara now I wouldn't even go there. Liverpool fans sometimes used to make that argument about Heskey.

Heskey has more England caps than Messi, Aguero and Ribery combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

jebus84 wrote: »
    You spelled bye wrong

There are so many intellectuals on this site it's amazing and we will teach the world to spell we United Fans are the best Brand in the world.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    BenThere wrote: »
    If you had the choice which would you prefer, a Sturridge goal scoring machine up front or a better "all round player" (whatever that actually means) who scores very little?

Sorry for jumping into your thread lads, saw something about Sturridge but didn't expect it to be in this thread.

I'll depart nice and quietly now!

Ben

Well there must be a reason Sturridge hasn't been able to do it for a top club and Welbeck has to compete with RVP and Rooney but yes, I would take the better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well there must be a reason Sturridge hasn't been able to do it for a top club and Welbeck has to compete with RVP and Rooney but yes, I would take the better player.

The evidence goes against all that.On recent form theres only one winner.....

So much wrong with this post but I won't drag this thread way off topic. I'll happilly discuss it in the Pool thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    spiralism wrote: »
    He only picks a non cowardly selection against sides he's not worried about. In this case the bottom 5. Currently not arsed at all if we win these games or not, it's nice to win and all but they're all dead rubbers really and all we achieve with good wins against struggling sides is less of a chance that Moyes gets canned by the summer. We really don't want him doing a Kenny Dalglish style splurge on a load of ****, the club can't afford it.

Unlikely, the 2 signings so far have been good, the targets for the summer are also good. You can criticize Moyes for a lot of things but I have every faith in him to buy good players in the summer. Hopefully not misguided faith :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I hope the rumoured Cleverley deal is for him to appear in Capital one cup games.
    Not a fan of Tom....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The trend of Rooney and RVP not passing to each other continues.

In 63 minutes together

Rooney to Van Persie - 3

Van Persie to Rooney - 1

But in 27 minutes together

Rooney to Welbeck - 4

Welbeck to Rooney 3

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

zerks wrote: »
    The trend of Rooney and RVP not passing to each other continues.

In 63 minutes together

Rooney to Van Persie - 3

Van Persie to Rooney - 1

But in 27 minutes together

Rooney to Welbeck - 4

Welbeck to Rooney 3

Says it all, really.

Rooney and Welbeck is currently a lot superior to Rooney and RVP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

RobertKK wrote: »
    I hope the rumoured Cleverley deal is for him to appear in Capital one cup games.
    Not a fan of Tom....

I think we're being harsh on some Utd players. They're probably not as bad as some are making out. The only issue for me is the presence of players like Cleverly, Wellbeck, Young and Valencia in the first 11. If they were squad players, coming in and out occasionally there'd be less focus on them. I've no problem with those players staying at the club as long as replacements are bought for them in the first team. No harm in having a big squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    I think we're being harsh on some Utd players. They're probably not as bad as some are making out. The only issue for me is the presence of players like Cleverly, Wellbeck, Young and Valencia in the first 11. If they were squad players, coming in and out occasionally there'd be less focus on them. I've no problem with those players staying at the club as long as replacements are bought for them in the first team. No harm in having a big squad.

Good point, but I genuinely don't want Valencia anywhere near the squad. What does he offer these days? Going forward he is virtually useless. Im not a fan of Young but he offers a bit more than Valencia already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Pro. F wrote: »
    Of course it's my opinion. Do I have to write "imo" at the end of every sentence?

It Would help...confidence..lack of trying l...etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    Ando starting today for Fior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Cleaning out an old press in the house and came across the Giggs testimonial match programme... from 2001... Who'd have thought he'd still be playing nearly 13 years later :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Cleaning out an old press in the house and came across the Giggs testimonial match programme... from 2001... Who'd have thought he'd still be playing nearly 13 years later :eek:

Fergie, they were both trolling us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    It Would help...confidence..lack of trying l...etc etc

I have no idea what you are trying to say in this mess of a post. If you want me to write "imo" every time I express an opinion then you are out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

TheDoc wrote: »
    Missed the game today. IKEA trip for new house :(

Posted a while back about a conversation I had on a stag about Fellaini. Lot of the lads singing my praises tofay. On Kakao.

Fellaini had a good defensive game I take it ?

One half decent game and he's Roy Keane Mk2.

Let's see can he actually make an impact when playing someone better than WBA before we start preening ourselves eh?

I'm not convinced. Hope to be proved wrong obviously but just don't rate him at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Pro. F wrote: »
    I have no idea what you are trying to say in this mess of a post. If you want me to write "imo" every time I express an opinion then you are out of luck.

In your opinion....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Been there the last 2 weekends. It's f**king hell on earth, I'll never step foot in it again.

Yes you will, women are attracted to it like a group of retail obsessed lemmings and that means you will be dragged along. Sorry to break it to you! I've been that soldier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    You cant give a player a little credit in here it seems these says without people giving it large on the whole "you swear he was new George Best, Keane, Stam, Cantona" type crap coming out.

Nobody is saying Fellaini is new masterclass, its just he played well and shown of his Everton after slow start this season.

Fellaini cant do anyting right yet when certain players score their only goal of season we have to listen how this all of sudden makes them great.

No
    Who can we sell RVP to in the summer?

Who would pay 20m+ for him and would offer him trophy opportunities outside of the PL?

Would he even leave England after spending most of his career here?

He's clearly not happy with us and to be honest the team is better off without him.

Don't fancy selling him to any rivals though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

In relation to the Sturridge v Wellbeck debate, I think that if Wellbeck got a consistent spell up front he would prove to be a better player than Sturridge. Liverpool have only Sturridge and Suarez so he is going to be playing every week Utd have 4 strikers so Wellbeck wont get as many games or a settled run inthe team. He has also being playing a fair bit on the wing.

Sturridge probably a better finisher, but Welbeck is a more intelegant and better all round player

No
    Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Yes you will, women are attracted to it like a group of retail obsessed lemmings and that means you will be dragged along. Sorry to break it to you! I've been that soldier!

Well that's where you're wrong, she went yesterday... with her sister. She won't ask me again, she's cool like that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

BloodBath wrote: »
    Who can we sell RVP to in the summer?

Who would pay 20m+ for him and would offer him trophy opportunities outside of the PL?

Would he even leave England after spending most of his career here?

He's clearly not happy with us and to be honest the team is better off without him.

Don't fancy selling him to any rivals though.

Juventus maybe would take him? As would one of the big spending French teams? Each would offer domestic trophy opportunities...will be sad to see him go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Was reading an article earlier suggesting United and Monaco would be interested in a RVP/Falcao swap.

Though it was ignoring the obvious problem of Falcao's inability to walk right now :pac:

No
    It will be sad to see him go but I think it's the best thing for the club if he does want to go.

He's definitely a good bargaining chip for a swap deal.

I wouldn't bring in another world class striker though unless Hernandez is leaving as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    Was reading an article earlier suggesting United and Monaco would be interested in a RVP/Falcao swap.

Though it was ignoring the obvious problem of Falcao's inability to walk right now :pac:
    Falcao is a beast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    It will be sad to see him go but I think it's the best thing for the club if he does want to go.

He's definitely a good bargaining chip for a swap deal.

I wouldn't bring in another world class striker though unless Hernandez is leaving as well.
    I reckon chico is on his way out...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    I reckon chico is on his way out...

Reports of inter bidding 12 million for him at summer

• Advertisement

No
    The money from both of them should cover most of the cost of a top replacement anyway. 3 strikers is plenty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Robson99 wrote: »
    In relation to the Sturridge v Wellbeck debate, I think that if Wellbeck got a consistent spell up front he would prove to be a better player than Sturridge. Liverpool have only Sturridge and Suarez so he is going to be playing every week Utd have 4 strikers so Wellbeck wont get as many games or a settled run inthe team. He has also being playing a fair bit on the wing.

Sturridge probably a better finisher, but Welbeck is a more intelegant and better all round player

So will Wellbeck take RVP's starting spot if RVP leaves in the summer?

No
    More likely that Rooney will move up front with Mata slotting in behind. It depends on who is bought in the summer.

They have been scouting strikers as well though so it seems likely they are going to buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

No
    Don't think Van Persie will be leaving.
    Moyes is stubborn, and won't be letting his better players leave.

He still has 2 years under contract in any case

No
    If he wants to leave there is no point in keeping him. He's still worth good money now and won't be in 2 years time.

Might as well cash in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No
    Why, are we broke?

No
    No but we are a business and it makes sense to make the most of an asset whether it's part of bargaining for a swap deal or getting a good price.

If he is happy and wants to stay then keep him for sure but that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

RasTa wrote: »
    Why, are we broke?

What edit did you make? Was it the comma? I'm intrigued.

If the comma was left out it would spark another 10-page debate about everything and anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You cant give a player a little credit in here it seems these says without people giving it large on the whole "you swear he was new George Best, Keane, Stam, Cantona" type crap coming out.

Nobody is saying Fellaini is new masterclass, its just he played well and shown of his Everton after slow start this season.

Fellaini cant do anyting right yet when certain players score their only goal of season we have to listen how this all of sudden makes them great.
    Who does the last line here refer too? The only player I can think of is Young but you were defending him before. Not having a go just curious and I fully agree with the first part of the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Losing both RVP and Hernandez would be a big mistake.

• Advertisement

No
    You're probably right. There's enough changes going on this summer as it is without restructuring the only area that we're good in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

No
    RVP is still our best player, he's had a decent season, with a decent goal return. He'll still end up with around 20 goals this season, if not more. He's still one of the best strikers in the world. He still has plenty of years left in his tank and I for one hope he is still around to get us the goals we need.

I for one would hate to see him leave. He has brought us through some extremely tough times on his own.

I sense his recent 'comments' are born out of frustration if nothing else. You could see his frustration yesterday. A lot of players have said a lot worse . I sincerely hope he stays.

Rooney and RVP were a major force last season, add in Mata and that is the making of the best front three in the PL. It'll take time for them to click, it'll probably be next season before we see their best stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Interesting to see the poll tightening majorly over the last two days - 50.83% to 49.17% .. amazing how close it has become - whether its United/non United fans influencing it is the big question.

No
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Interesting to see the poll tightening majorly over the last two days - 50.83% to 49.17% .. amazing how close it has become - whether its United/non United fans influencing it is the big question.
    Most United fans would have voted early with the poll being in this thread, it would only get closer as time went by seeing as most non United fans want him to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Most United fans would have voted early with the poll being in this thread, it would only get closer as time went by seeing as most non United fans want him to stay.
    Possibly so but its hard to tell for definite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Rvp should be dropped

He had to be substituted before he got himself sent off.

Certainly the ref bottled it as RvP should have received a second yellow card.

No
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Possibly so but its hard to tell for definite.

Nah, I'm right and that's just the way it is OK?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You're probably right. There's enough changes going on this summer as it is without restructuring the only area that we're good in.

Definitely should be adding before selling. As of now I'd only get rid of Young, Valencia, Rio and Evra, with Vidic already heading out.

No
    He had to be substituted before he got himself sent off.

Certainly the ref bottled it as RvP should have received a second yellow card.

The referee probably should have sent him off if he deemed it a foul, which he did but replay showed he got the ball first so it turned out to be the correct decision not to card him.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

More likely that Rooney will move up front with Mata slotting in behind. It depends on who is bought in the summer.

They have been scouting strikers as well though so it seems likely they are going to buy one.

Doesn't RVP contract (inc fee) north of £70million?

He turns 31 in Aug so I can't see many teams wanting to buy him out of that, and he doesn't come across as someone who would willingly take a pay cut/move so late in his career.

It will probably happen if say a rich MLS side come along, but I cant see that happening til maybe another season.

imo there are other players to be looked at before trying to shift out RVP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement