Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

1193194195196197199»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    kstand wrote: »
    ? Did I just read that correct? He was an average player at Arsenal - and they were more shocked than anyone to Barca showed any interest in him - on top of that he was supposed to be a bad influence in the dressing room. He hasn't got the feet Lallana has isn't fit to lace his boots. Barca realised their mistake and he has only played a handful of times. If the extent of our summer transfer ambitions include Song, the most we can hope for is the consolidation of our current position next season.

Also two completely different players. I thought Song had a good season the year before he went to Barca, but he'd be nothing more than another Fellaini. We have no need for him IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    ? Did I just read that correct? He was an average player at Arsenal - and they were more shocked than anyone to Barca showed any interest in him - on top of that he was supposed to be a bad influence in the dressing room. He hasn't got the feet Lallana has isn't fit to lace his boots. Barca realised their mistake and he has only played a handful of times. If the extent of our summer transfer ambitions include Song, the most we can hope for is the consolidation of our current position next season.

I haven't got the time to argue with you on it at the minute but I think you're vastly overrating Lallana while underrating Song.
    To say he's not fit to lace his boots is fairly crazy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

No
    I haven't got the time to argue with you on it at the minute but I think you're vastly overrating Lallana while underrating Song.
    To say he's not fit to lace his boots is fairly crazy to me.

What are you basing Songs merits on? If he was any use he'd be getting a game at Barca. But he's not.

No
    What are you basing Songs merits on? If he was any use he'd be getting a game at Barca. But he's not.

Would Lallana get a game for Barca?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

wow

Song would be the first name on the team sheet if he was at southampton. Lallana has had 1 good season and could very well end up being a one season wonder

• Advertisement

No
    Would Lallana get a game for Barca?

I think the form he is in right now he would, yeah. He'd fit right in to that midfield - he can play left or right and his touch, passing and ability to make space for himself would get him a game no problem. I'd love to see what he'd be like with better players around him. Different strokes for different folks but watching the way he plays, he does it for me and I rate him very highly.

No
    Paulegend wrote: »
    wow

Song would be the first name on the team sheet if he was at southampton. Lallana has had 1 good season and could very well end up being a one season wonder

Again based on what? What has he done since he left Arsenal? If he was that good he'd be playing regularly for Barca but he's not and handful of good games for Arsenal 2 or 3 years ago doesn't count at this moment in time.
    Honestly, what the hell do you guys see in Song?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Yeah because Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas & Busquets are all terrible and should be easily displaced.....

No
    Yeah because Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas & Busquets are all terrible and should be easily displaced.....

Lallana would get a game in that midfield ahead of Song, no question.

No
    I think the form he is in right now he would, yeah. He'd fit right in to that midfield - he can play left or right and his touch, passing and ability to make space for himself would get him a game no problem. I'd love to see what he'd be like with better players around him. Different strokes for different folks but watching the way he plays, he does it for me and I rate him very highly.

There's absolutely no way he would get near that Barca team, he's a good player but your are overrating him to a ridiculous level.
    He will end up at a Spurs/Everton if he moves. City/Chelsea will not be interested, neither should we.

• Advertisement

No
    Id take Lallana as a replacement for Valencia or Young as I believe he offers more than either of them. Think we should set our sights a bit higher though. Shaw is different, he looks like he will be world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Another Soccer Forum gem.

Adam Lallana would be starting for Barcelona if he was there.

Not quite Reus in midfield but not too far away. :pac:

Lallana would get a game in that midfield ahead of Song, no question.

I disagree but that's not the point. You said if Song were any use then he'd be getting games at Barca. Not getting games in Barcelona's midfield does not equal being a poor player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

so after clichys performance yesterday do people still think he is better than evra?! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,376 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    There's is absolutely no way he would get near that Barca team, he's a good player but your are overrating him to a ridiculous level.
    He will end up at a Spurs/Everton if he moves. City/Chelsea will not be interested, neither should we.

I would take Lallana at United - but he would be down the list of priorities. He would be a better back up for Januzaj/Rooney/Mata than Young or Valencia have proven themselves to be, so if that is the role he is bought for - I'd be fine with that.

If he was bought with the intention of being a first team starter and someone to bridge the (horribly large) gap between us and the sides we should consider our rivals, then he is the wrong target, imo.

No
    I disagree but that's not the point. You said if Song were any use then he'd be getting games at Barca. Not getting games in Barcelona's midfield does not equal being a poor player.

Where does he play - is he an enforcer or not? Arsenal conceded something like 170 goals in the 3/4 seasons he was supposed to be the midfield enforcer there. He doesn't have the technical ability to play further up field or in the wide positions Lallana can fit into. If Moyes wants an enforcer then Song is the wrong man for the job - and he is not good enough to play in a creative role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Am i missing something has Lallana moved from being a winger to a centre mid or am i missing something.

No
    I would take Lallana at United - but he would be down the list of priorities. He would be a better back up for Januzaj/Rooney/Mata than Young or Valencia have proven themselves to be, so if that is the role he is bought for - I'd be fine with that.

If he was bought with the intention of being a first team starter and someone to bridge the (horribly large) gap between us and the sides we should consider our rivals, then he is the wrong target, imo.

Agreed. We need a starting LB and at least 1 guaranteed starting top class CM. We don't need to buy squad players. There's enough of them.

Again based on what? What has he done since he left Arsenal? If he was that good he'd be playing regularly for Barca but he's not and handful of good games for Arsenal 2 or 3 years ago doesn't count at this moment in time.
    Honestly, what the hell do you guys see in Song?

its not really that most people rate song rather than people are trying to not over rate lallana

song has proven he is a great player. sure it was about 3 years since he was playing regularly for arsenal and rated very highly. but now he plays as a backup player in the barca team. no shame in playing backup to their midfield to be fair. he is still getting games. he played over half their league games last season and looks to do the same this season. to be honest i think he should move from barca as at his age he needs to be playing more.

lallana on the other hand has played well for southampton. in fact he has been great for them. but its not like he is this young up and coming player. he isnt over the hill or anything but at 25 the last 2 seasons him only coming to light. the only reason he is so highly rated is because he is the oldest player that has come through their youth academy and stayed at the club. not out of loyalty but because noone tried to take him.

lallana is having a great season but so did benteke last year. papise a couple years ago. remember Ba????

lallana has proved nothing to be rated higher than song who HAS proven himself at least at lallanas targeted level

Where does he play - is he an enforcer or not? Arsenal conceded something like 170 goals in the 3/4 seasons he was supposed to be the midfield enforcer there. He doesn't have the technical ability to play further up field or in the wide positions Lallana can fit into. If Moyes wants an enforcer then Song is the wrong man for the job - and he is not good enough to play in a creative role.

11 assists in the league in his final season with Arsenal, and being part of how RVP scored so many. Yet not good enough to play the creative role?

• Advertisement

No
    its not really that most people rate song rather than people are trying to not over rate lallana

song has proven he is a great player. sure it was about 3 years since he was playing regularly for arsenal and rated very highly. but now he plays as a backup player in the barca team. no shame in playing backup to their midfield to be fair. he is still getting games. he played over half their league games last season and looks to do the same this season. to be honest i think he should move from barca as at his age he needs to be playing more.

lallana on the other hand has played well for southampton. in fact he has been great for them. but its not like he is this young up and coming player. he isnt over the hill or anything but at 25 the last 2 seasons him only coming to light. the only reason he is so highly rated is because he is the oldest player that has come through their youth academy and stayed at the club. not out of loyalty but because noone tried to take him.

lallana is having a great season but so did benteke last year. papise a couple years ago. remember Ba????

lallana has proved nothing to be rated higher than song who HAS proven himself at least at lallanas targeted level

"song has proven he is a great player" - if he was a great player he'd be starting at Barca. I live in north London within a mile of the Emirates and most of my pals are Arsenal fans and they never rated him that highly - asked a few recently if they'd have him back and they said they wouldn't.

I know what people are saying - Lallana has had one, two good seasons. But he looks a technically excellent player to me and if you don't take a chance you never know. We have had plenty of mediocre crap at United over the years - even in the current set up. He'd be a much better option than Young, Valencia, Cleverly etc.

No
    11 assists in the league in his final season with Arsenal, and being part of how RVP scored so many. Yet not good enough to play the creative role?

OK - so where does he fit in at United? can he play wide left or right? Can he play in the hole? His job at Arsenal that season was to hold the midfield but he didn't do that - he created a lot of those goals coming from a deep midfield position which he left open when he went forward.
    At the end of the day its opinion - I wouldn't have Song but I would have Lallana. You wouldn't have Lallana but you would have Song. Unfortunately we cant put it to the test and see who'd win.

"song has proven he is a great player" - if he was a great player he'd be starting at Barca. I live in north London within a mile of the Emirates and most of my pals are Arsenal fans and they never rated him that highly - asked a few recently if they'd have him back and they said they wouldn't.

I know what people are saying - Lallana has had one, two good seasons. But he looks a technically excellent player to me and if you don't take a chance you never know. We have had plenty of mediocre crap at United over the years - even in the current set up. He'd be a much better option than Young, Valencia, Cleverly etc.

well Song must have proven something if Barca where willing to pay so much for him. he isnt exactly on minimum wage there either. i dont like Song myself. id hate if liverpool invested in him so im not trying to say he would be a great signing. but you cant put down how good he is either. if there was one player left to be named in a team sheet and it was between them two (assuming that other players on the team would be able to play cover who ever isnt picked) it would be Song picked every time.

now dont get me wrong Lallana could go on to be a great player. he could be signed by you guys and be a revelation. but Young who you are writing off was a revelation at Villa and that was a Villa side who where at the time "bigger" than what Southampton are now

i think Young can still be a vital player for ye. the Nani situation needs be decided on. i think unless ye can get 20+ for him then he is at least a great player to come on against a tired defence. id have both over Lallana right now who isnt a priority for ye

OK - so where does he fit in at United? can he play wide left or right? Can he play in the hole? His job at Arsenal that season was to hold the midfield but he didn't do that - he created a lot of those goals coming from a deep midfield position which he left open when he went forward.
    At the end of the day its opinion - I wouldn't have Song but I would have Lallana. You wouldn't have Lallana but you would have Song. Unfortunately we cant put it to the test and see who'd win.

Don't get me wrong I most certainly would have Lallana. I don't rate him as highly as you but I agree he would be worth taking a chance on. But the fact that Song wasn't in the prime creative role is what I think makes his return impressive. A creative midfielder coming from deep who is also capable of breaking up play is something I think we could do with. He's a better passer than Fellaini but not as good defensively, but i think it could be a good pairing. Song wouldn't be top of my wishlist but he'd still be a good option i think.

United do need a defensive mid though. if it was song and fellaini sitting deep allowing the wingers to join the attack ye would be better off. plus with fellaini and song one of them can sit back while the other joins the attack every so often. both good in the air, strong, not exactly lacking pace. it would be a strong center of the pitch. of course there are probably better options out there but it wouldnt be a bad option

No
    Young has had enough chances and aside from a few strong performances he has failed to show that he has the quality to play for a club like United. He's fine as a squad player, but not as a starter. Valencia should go before Young.

No
    KH25 wrote: »
    Agreed. We need a starting LB and at least 1 guaranteed starting top class CM. We don't need to buy squad players. There's enough of them.

We need first team players, no doubt - but we also need better players as back up - Young and Valencia haven't proven themselves enough for this task, so should be replaced. We have Mata and probably Januzaj to take their first team spots but I would say they also need to be moved on from their squad level. So Lallana is a good target here, imo.

No
    We need first team players, no doubt - but we also need better players as back up - Young and Valencia haven't proven themselves enough for this task, so should be replaced. We have Mata and probably Januzaj to take their first team spots but I would say they also need to be moved on from their squad level. So Lallana is a good target here, imo.

I agree. I was just saying that first team players should be the priority. I think we can manage with the squad players that we already have as long as the first team is taken care of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    I'd like Lallana but only as backup rather than Valencia, but who would buy Valencia? Couldn't see many clubs clambering over him.

• Advertisement

No

I'd go along with that alright. Don't get me wrong here, I rate the lad, I'm sure I've praised him numerous times on this forum.
    I don't think he would come unless he was sure of game time but he would be more than welcome as back up by me.

No
    Kroos being a tease and saying that his future is undecided and the PL is a possibility. Got it from Henry Winter on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

just because barca buy a player doesn't mean they are top class.... look at the amount of money they have spent on flops who have never even played a game for barca.....

Martin Caceres 17m
    Hleb.... Barcelona gave Arsenal 17 million Euro and included a 90 million buy-out clause for a 4 year contract!!! :eek::eek::eek:
    Dmytro Chygrinsky 25m
    Keirrison 14m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    Is Kroos gonna be our heart breaker this summer? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    Looks like the no vote is winning now, not that it makes a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    Hococop wrote: »
    Looks like the no vote is winning now, not that it makes a difference

He's gonna be here next year regardless of what we want but if he signs good players and moves away from 442 we might see why he was hired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Is Kroos gonna be our heart breaker this summer? :pac:

Well for the people who believe it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    We won yesterday so the glory hunters are back in to change their votes to keep him......

You can't change your vote on a poll.

No
    Well for the people who believe it ;-)

I BELIEVE!

We are def in for him, very likely he is playing us to get a better Bayern contract though.

Hopefully we'll have this, and others, sorted one way or another. Real work is being done on the transfer front already, which is good to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I thought Fellaini was excellent on Saturday, building on the back of a good performance vs Palace. As I've said before, regardless of price, I think he'll prove to be a very good player for us.

Dismissing a player after a handful of ropey performances, in a new team that is clearly struggling anyway, is beyond idiotic imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Do you just make sh*t up in your head? He was playing for Southampton in League 1 with 6 months left on his contract and rejected offers from lots of clubs and signed a new contract. Is that not loyalty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Toni Kroos will be Man United player next season. Hes already made his mind up, he wants to play in the Premier League. Germany hasnt got a competitive league with Bayern winning 5 & 6-0 every week. He wants a new challenge, hes done it all with Bayern and is ready to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Closing this thread and starting a new one. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Pro. F wrote: »
    You can't change your vote on a poll.
    I know. It was a tongue in cheek comment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement