Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    Irish people as a whole are glory hunters otherwise we would support our domestic league rather than a big succesful league like the EPL. Ive seen a huge increase in Man City & Chelsea supporters in Ireland in recent years. You never see an Irish person supporting Norwich City so i for one accept the glory hunter tag

Exactly

Irish people as a whole are glory hunters otherwise we would support our domestic league rather than a big succesful league like the EPL. Ive seen a huge increase in Man City & Chelsea supporters in Ireland in recent years. You never see an Irish person supporting Norwich City so i for one accept the glory hunter tag
    I just follow who my dad followed, same as most people I know. City and Chelsea are fairly irrelevant to the discussion because I'm pretty sure most people who are giving out about the direction of United right now have been fans of them since before they had a choice. It's a ridiculous term to throw around. Also a good proportion of the same "moaners" saw what many saw last season, massive weaknesses in the United squad that were covered by the implosion of a few other clubs last season and of course Fergie. Those same fans were told to shut up last season, same as they are this season.
    As I said, it suits me just fine but I've had to put up with the smug-as-**** "shut up and support the team" rubbish as an Arsenal fan for a good while so I know how frustrating it can be fore someone who would like a club to show some ambition.
    You've got your own words, use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    A lot can happen over the 14 remaining games, people have short memories..a lot of so called United fans have really shown their true colors this season. So used to success and winning but as soon as the team hits a really bed spell they throw their toys out of the pram and write the team off. Disgusts me to see fellow fans behave like this

Rubbish, its called being realistic. The amount of times I have called Arsenal & Liverpool fans deluded over the years for similarly ridiculous statements. Its time for us United fans to eat some humble pie, we've had it good for a long long time.

Based on the past 5 months of football there's not a hope of us finishing 4th id be delighted if we did but you would have to be deluded if you think we will get 4th.

We certainly dont deserve to play CL football next year our football is among the worst in the league.

If we're all glory-hunters then it's irrelevant so how about moving the conversation on from that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    A lot can happen over the 14 remaining games, people have short memories..a lot of so called United fans have really shown their true colors this season. So used to success and winning but as soon as the team hits a really bed spell they throw their toys out of the pram and write the team off. Disgusts me to see fellow fans behave like this

Loltastic.

There's a pair of yis in it and yis are gas.

Embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

No
    I just follow who my dad followed, same as most people I know.

I've a funny story about how I started following United.

I remember when I was young, I sat down next to my Dad one night while he was watching a match. I had never taken an interest in soccer at any point until then. He was watching an Everton game (He's an Everton fan) so I asked him who they were playing because I was going to support them. I don't know why I chose to do that. Probably to wreck his head even at a young age.

Turns out it was Manchester United.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

No
    I'm sick of this glory hunter tag - the reason why i feel people my age are United Fans

iSky comes in at the start of the Premier League therefore restricting the amount of live football on tv.
    So the only live games available were FA cup weekends or the Champions League games
    And coming home from school starved of live football as a child, the music, atmosphere and night games was magical.

This was a time when only one team ever qualified, looking forward in the playground to seeing Goterberg
    It was their success in winning the league that mean they was only one show in town as an english team in the CL

I also think the World cup of 94 with ireland's qualification brought soccer more to the forefront

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    The prices were taken online. I don't have a clue what they are worth. Does anyone? It's down to what anyones willing to pay at the end of the day and the prices are only estimates.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

beno619 wrote: »
    Rubbish, its called being realistic. The amount of times I have called Arsenal & Liverpool fans deluded over the years for similarly ridiculous statements. Its time for us United fans to eat some humble pie, we've had it good for a long long time.

Based on the past 5 months of football there's not a hope of us finishing 4th id be delighted if we did but you would have to be deluded if you think we will get 4th.

We certainly dont deserve to play CL football next year our football is among the worst in the league.

Arsenal didnt think they would finish 4th last season when they went 7 points behind Spurs in March last season. The same position we are in a month earlier, the performances need to improve but to rule United out of 4th on February 2nd is laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I support United because when I was about 6 or 7 I asked my dad who he supported and he said United. Naturally, being a young boy, I just copied him and threw myself into it. Got a jersey, watched all the matches, posters on the walls. Never looked back.

Much later I found out he never supported United, had no interest in football since he was about 20, and before that had supported Arsenal. :pac:

Said he told me he supported United because he "knew I was going to support whoever he said, so picked someone good".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

No
    fqQXp1U.jpg

Tom 'sideways' Cleverley

Blue = Completed pass
    Red = Failed

Danger781 wrote: »
    fqQXp1U.jpg

Tom 'sideways' Cleverley

Blue = Completed pass
    Red = Failed

That really is an amazing illustration of the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

BloodBath wrote: »
    The prices were taken online. I don't have a clue what they are worth. Does anyone? It's down to what anyones willing to pay at the end of the day and the prices are only estimates.

So, 80m for Bale, but 30m for Pogba?

You didn't see that as odd?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Never had much of a choice with United :P Parents were big fans, and had me dressed in the colours as a baby, had my room wallpapered with the crest. Never stood a chance :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Parents were big fans

Parents support successful teams too. If one was to start following the Spanish league, would you support any one other than the big two? What's the point?

• Advertisement

Parents support successful teams too. If one was to start following the Spanish league, would you support any one other than the big two? What's the point?

1) Is football only about trophies?
    2) Athletico?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    Have people seen this jersey doing the rounds? Supposed to be next years jersey. Don't know how to post pics from phone so if someone wants to repost it feel free.

No
    Arsenal didnt think they would finish 4th last season when they went 7 points behind Spurs in March last season. The same position we are in a month earlier, the performances need to improve but to rule United out of 4th on February 2nd is laughable

Arsenal up to that point we not playing some of the worst football in the league and had a much narrower gap to close and im going to guess an easier run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Arsenal up to that point we not playing some of the worst football in the league and had a much narrower gap to close and im going to guess an easier run in.

7 points

No
    So, 80m for Bale, but 30m for Pogba?

You didn't see that as odd?

Bale clearly isn't worth 80m. Real's splurges don't count as market value.

• Advertisement

Sure. The worlds hottest talent at 20. £30m. It was said before. L. O. L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Real are a different breed for sure but you have Pogba and Reus at 30m and then list :Nani - 14m,Valencia - 14m,Young - 12.5m,Cleverly - 12.5m.

That is no way realistic,be lucky to get 25m for those 4 combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Were not playing some of the worst football in the league.
    Arsenal were 7 points of 4th with less games to play.
    Arsenal didnt have an easy run in.

Teams drop points just like Spurs did yesterday and Liverpool done today. There is 14 games to be played, 42 points to play for and anything can happen in football

No
    GSPfan wrote: »
    Have people seen this jersey doing the rounds? Supposed to be next years jersey. Don't know how to post pics from phone so if someone wants to repost it feel free.

That's a fake, was doing the rounds this time last year too

No
    yabadabado wrote: »
    7 points

My Bad. Everton also might have a say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

That's a fake, was doing the rounds this time last year too

It's a shame, that is a nice shirt!

No
    Were not playing some of the worst football in the league.

I would disagree, Arsenal played great football last season but were leaky at the back for the first 6 months.

Teams drop points just like Spurs did yesterday and Liverpool done today. There is 14 games to be played, 42 points to play for and anything can happen in football

We also dropped points yesterday and the gap increased. Its more likely that things will continue to be crap than this turnaround people are dreaming about.

The only way United finish 4th is if Suarez and Sturridge get injured/banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

You support Utd because of a past bandwagon jump.

actually no i dont. i support united cause of my mom who was a die hard united fan from the 70s on so no i don't support them from jumping on a bandwagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

People used to be very critical of SAF & the Glazers. It doesn't make you a bad fan. Our ability to criticise & constantly seek improvement is what made the club.

If anything the worry now is that complacency is creeping in. Already we would be pleased with 4th. Our manager has been given way more time than other clubs would of given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's a shame, that is a nice shirt!

It's vile imo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'm back from the wilderness.

Ah well,nothing's changed,our play is still rubbish, one dimensional, painful on the eyes stuff.

Yesterday took the biscuit,dunno how Moyes could say we were unlucky.Getting to the byline doesn't win games,it's not NFL or Rugby.There's a big rectangular thing with a net that we are meant to put the ball into more times than our opponent does it to us.Watching the ball going sideways,backwards then a hail mary ball was galling.I'm still baffled at the tactic of leaving Fletcher on the bench when he has the experience of a dogfight against the likes of Stoke,ffs when you play a team like them the way to do it is passing and movement,only one tried it continually and he was Mata.

Carrick moving to CB didn't help but his form is so poor it didn't really matter,as for Cleverly - I'd be happy enough for him not to grace our first team again,average with no signs of ever improving.Isn't his position supposed to be the one where we see movement & dictation of the play? Instead we see the positional awareness and reading of the play on a par with Stevie Wonder,when he does get involved it's cowardly play of laying the ball off and hoping someone else does his job.

fqQXp1U.png

Anybody could have been got in even on loan to improve our midfield until the much vaunted rebuild begins in the Summer,even players we declared as "not United quality" would have done on loan,what we currently have aren't exactly United quality.There's one team in Manchester playing fast paced attacking football that's lighting up the league,pity they are wearing light blue.We used to do that.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

No
    My parents honeymoon was to old Trafford to see George Best play. My grandfather went over when no one in Ireland did. There was no choice in who I supported.

My father passed when I was very young but my older brother made sure I followed the family tradition. I will always support united no matter what as will all of my children.

We'll never die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Cleverley was one of the better players yesterday. Showed a bit of fight unlike most of the others on twice his wage.

No
    yabadabado wrote: »
    Real are a different breed for sure but you have Pogba and Reus at 30m and then list :Nani - 14m,Valencia - 14m,Young - 12.5m,Cleverly - 12.5m.

That is no way realistic,be lucky to get 25m for those 4 combined.

I'm sure the prices are debateable. I used http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/ to source the values. If you know of a better source for accurate values then let me know. Values fluctuate, if the club doesn't want to sell or multiple clubs want the same player it's only driving the price up.

Considering how inflated the market is though and the fact clubs are paying 30 million + for decent players I don't think 14m for Nani or Valencia is unreasonable. 12.5 for Cleverly is optimistic maybe but that's what he was valued at.

You would have to be able to see into the future to know what they are truly worth when you buy them. I did say in the post that you would most likely have to pay a good bit over their actual value for their clubs to sell them. Pretty much what we did with Mata and Fellaini.

Liam O wrote: »
    Cleverley was one of the better players yesterday. Showed a bit of fight unlike most of the others on twice his wage.

He really wasn't.If by fight you mean moaning all game yeah by all means he was good.Even Ashley Young looked leagues ahead of him & that's saying something.
    I wouldn't depend on him to carry my shopping let alone the midfield fight for United.

No
    Apparently Welbeck only completed 4 passes yesterday and one of them was from a kick off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Pogba having a stroll against Inter and bossing the midfield along with Pirlo and Vidal. It's enough to you cry to think they built that midfield for less than 10M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

No
    Schwiiing wrote: »
    Pogba having a stroll against Inter and bossing the midfield along with Pirlo and Vidal. It's enough to you cry to think they built that midfield for less than 10M.

Please stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    Apparently Welbeck only completed 4 passes yesterday and one of them was from a kick off

He was actually so awful yesterday it was unbelievable. Non existent for the most part, any time he was involved, it was him falling over himself or breaking down one of our attacks, just do not see the big deal about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Discodog wrote: »
    People used to be very critical of SAF & the Glazers. It doesn't make you a bad fan. Our ability to criticise & constantly seek improvement is what made the club.

If anything the worry now is that complacency is creeping in. Already we would be pleased with 4th. Our manager has been given way more time than other clubs would of given.

Totally agree here.

Whats wrong with wanting the club to be a success?

I want to win as many trophies as I can.

I want to win as many trophies as I can.

Sadly the team currently seem to think the opposite.:(

No
    He was actually so awful yesterday it was unbelievable. Non existent for the most part, any time he was involved, it was him falling over himself or breaking down one of our attacks, just do not see the big deal about him.

He needs 20 square foot of space around him to do anything

No
    zerks wrote: »
    Sadly the team currently seem to think the opposite.:(

Moyes has a lot to blame for here.

His interviews and his attitude seems to be that this season as some sort of right off. BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

His interviews and his attitude seems to be that this season as some sort of right off. BS.

No CL football next season will soon make him regret that stance. Only signing Mata in January was as bad as Arsenal's Jan.

I'm not convinced by his coaching team at all,they just don't inspire confidence.Would Fergie have listened or consulted any of them during a game?We got the wrong Neville brother on the staff.Who would you rather have coaching our squad,the one who speaks sense and has tactical nouse or the one who I've never heard a word from regarding football since he retired from playing?

We have 42 points to play for and a team like United should be aiming for that figure and not putting up with mediocre play and hard luck stories.It's an awful thing to say that I'm not looking forward to the Fulham game as the one we should be using to kick on from.Currently we are on a par with Trapps Ireland in terms of play.

• Advertisement

No
    I'm not convinced by his coaching team at all,they just don't inspire confidence.Would Fergie have listened or consulted any of them during a game?We got the wrong Neville brother on the staff.Who would you rather have coaching our squad,the one who speaks sense and has tactical nouse or the one who I've never heard a word from regarding football since he retired from playing?

We have 42 points to play for and a team like United should be aiming for that figure and not putting up with mediocre play and hard luck stories.It's an awful thing to say that I'm not looking forward to the Fulham game as the one we should be using to kick on from.Currently we are on a par with Trapps Ireland in terms of play.

The only bright light was that Mata makes a difference. Those little balls forward into pockets of space.

Once getting that type of service RVP and Rooney will thrive.

I thought Mata was immense yesterday. Did all the simple things well. Its a pity all his good play was undone bar the assist.

Mata showed how he's a step above,easy to see how he won POTY at Chelsea 2 seasons in a row.Pity so many others weren't on the same page as him.You could see him at times get visibly frustrated calling for the ball while passes went elsewhere into traffic.
    Hopefully now Fellaini plays like the beast who dominated us in his time at Everton and adds some dynamism that's sorely lacking in midfield which will allow Mata to thrive and supply the ammo for RVP & Rooney.If Fellaini can't get into that midfield ahead of Cleverly something's clearly wrong.

No
    Mata showed how he's a step above,easy to see how he won POTY at Chelsea 2 seasons in a row.Pity so many others weren't on the same page as him.You could see him at times get visibly frustrated calling for the ball while passes went elsewhere into traffic.
    Hopefully now Fellaini plays like the beast who dominated us in his time at Everton and adds some dynamism that's sorely lacking in midfield which will allow Mata to thrive and supply the ammo for RVP & Rooney.If Fellaini can't get into that midfield ahead of Cleverly something's clearly wrong.

Had he been playing with City yesterday or United players with confidence we would have scored least 2 more goals.

The last 2 games we have at least been creating chances. We were unlucky yesterday in lot of ways, sadly though Moyes brought a lot of this misfortune on himself. Bringing on Welbeck yesterday had me raging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Phil Jones is ok anyway, just a concussion.

Nani out for another month now, been a bit of a Darren Anderton this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Getting tired of Nani's injuries.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement