Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Moyes better give the players a chance in centre back over the next few months. It'll be vital if they are going to have a chance at playing next season.

Enough of this right back and midfield crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    Evans played lb a few times in his younger days. I don't get this Smalling is a younger player he is 11 months younger than Evans hardly a huge difference.

How many times has he played anywhere other than CB? Once at left back is it? That's hardly comparable to what Smalling and Jones have been doing.
    You have no idea if Jones would have performed better than Evans over the past 3 seasons. In his first season he was very poor at cb but improved the end of last season. Also we would never have sold Evans no matter what Jones would have done.

He was good at CB in his first season at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    I think we are class a ****ed lads midfield and defense next season could be appalling if the right players are not bought

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Was always going to go, been rumours for a years now. Was never the same after his knee injury but was a world class defender in his prime. Good luck to him where ever he ends up

Prediction: Rooney signs new deal & is made captain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No
    Vidic was one of my favourite ever United players. An absolute warrior and for a time probably the best defender in the World. You can't ask for more as a fan of a club to have a player give as much as he did on the pitch. If he couldn't win the ball fairly there was no way you were getting through, you had to come down. Roy Keane was the same. Sometimes saw red for it but he had to do it, I loved that.

THIS-IS-NEMANJA-1-a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Evans played lb a few times in his younger days. I don't get this Smalling is a younger player he is 11 months younger than Evans hardly a huge difference.

You have no idea if Jones would have performed better than Evans over the past 3 seasons. In his first season he was very poor at cb but improved the end of last season. Also we would never have sold Evans no matter what Jones would have done.

Nuts I'm aware he played LB but those days are long over, whens the last time he played there for United? I get you think he's a decent player but that's all he is, he'd not get his game at another top club and has been blessed that Rio and/or Vida have been out injured for the last three seasons

Jones came to United as a raw 18/19 year old and has been shunted around since then, Evans at that age was out on loan or playing reserve team football. If, and I know its a powerful word, Jones was given the same number of games at CB as Evans has been and not played anywhere else, he'd be an automatic pick, and that's what MOyes has to do..Grab the bull by the horns and say Phil your my first choice centre back

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

I think we are class a ****ed lads midfield and defense next season could be appalling if the right players are not bought

Phil Jones can be as good if not better than Vidic if he knuckles down & fulfils his potential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Someone post a Gif of Vidic trying to block a shot with his face... Forget who it was against. Think it was only last season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Was always going to go, been rumours for a years now. Was never the same after his knee injury but was a world class defender in his prime. Good luck to him where ever he ends up

I think this is a distinct possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

No
    iV7dVcBlRainq.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Such a technically poor footballer with a ball at his feet but made up for it with bucketloads of bravery and commitment.
    I don't think he will be hugely missed at this stage though.

No
    Pity to see Vidic go. I think he is still world class if he can just stay fit for long enough.

I don't suppose him announcing it now is going to especially unsettle the team, but it might have been better if he had kept his mouth shut until the end of the season. It will be interesting to see if Moyes still picks him until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Someone post a Gif of Vidic trying to block a shot with his face... Forget who it was against. Think it was only last season?

He could have been killed. :pac:

iV7dVcBlRainq.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    If Rio and Vidic go we only need 1 more Centre half. We have two playing at Right Back and Midfield. So with Evra going we need a Left Back, a Right Back, a Centre Half and at least 2 midfielders.

Thats only 5 players. Unfortunately for the Glazers, 4 of them have to be first team world class standard so we're talking big bucks.

If we don't spend £100 million this Summer we won't be getting top class players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

ShaneU wrote: »
    iV7dVcBlRainq.gif

Does that bloke two people from De Gea's shoulder have binoculars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

No
    Phil Jones can be as good if not better than Vidic if he knuckles down & fulfils his potential
    Can't see that happening, he doesn't have the said potential for it, he's vastly overrated by many. Jonny Evans is the guy who will be United's prime CB along side who-knows-else.

I like Chris Smalling, but he's prone to have a daft moment or a complete-and-utter brain fart from time to time; in that way though, you could say he's like a young Rio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

ShaneU wrote: »
    iV7dVcBlRainq.gif

That is my favorite moment of Vidic right there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Gutted to see vidic leave. Such a committed player and was a great captain. Really lead by example.

Hopefully this allows smalling and jones to play in there natural position and completely forces us into a number of transfers this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    Rather he announces it now than have to deny it till the end of the season. He is probably in discussions with other clubs anyway now so it would have leaked out that way too.

He'll get a great send off now and hopefully that will inspire some massive heroics out of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

brinty wrote: »
    Nuts I'm aware he played LB but those days are long over, whens the last time he played there for United? I get you think he's a decent player but that's all he is, he'd not get his game at another top club and has been blessed that Rio and/or Vida have been out injured for the last three seasons

Jones came to United as a raw 18/19 year old and has been shunted around since then, Evans at that age was out on loan or playing reserve team football. If, and I know its a powerful word, Jones was given the same number of games at CB as Evans has been and not played anywhere else, he'd be an automatic pick, and that's what MOyes has to do..Grab the bull by the horns and say Phil your my first choice centre back

At Jones age Evans was on loan with Sunderland and was immense a level above anything Jones has done so far in his career. I think Jones could be a world class cb if given a proper run at cb. My issue was you said if Jones played the last 3 seasons that he would have out performed Evans which is nothing more than speculation. You also said Evans would have been sold which is just completely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Such a technically poor footballer with a ball at his feet but made up for it with bucketloads of bravery and commitment.

Absolutely shocking. Not as bad as Valencia, but he could be horrible. Compare him to Rio. They were chalk and cheese. Complemented each other perfectly.

No
    Does that bloke two people from De Gea's shoulder have binoculars?

He's holding his phone up to take a pic I think.

Another classic Vidic image:
    vidic_kick_pgb.jpg

Pro. F wrote: »
    How many times has he played anywhere other than CB? Once at left back is it? That's hardly comparable to what Smalling and Jones have been doing.

He was good at CB in his first season at United.

Why has Smalling been pushed to rb to get games. The answer is because Evans is better than him and far more developed. Smalling should have been loaned out to a Premier League club the year he was bought. He needs a full run of games to fulfill his potential which he won't do being a squad player at United.

Really wish from now until the end of the season Jones and Evans are first choice centre backs.

Think they compliment each other well. Jones is more ferocious and better in the air. While Evans reads the game far better and is very good at bringing the ball out of defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No
    Why has Smalling been pushed to rb to get games. The answer is because Evans is better than him and far more developed.

Or maybe because Evans can't play right back and Smalling is a victim of his own versatility?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Vidic was a great servant for the club. He's defiantly passed his best at this stage. I wonder where he'll end up?

No
    Why has Smalling played so infrequently at cb? Why at 24 has he only 75 appearances at Premier League level. He has been a Conference player, a rotation defender at Fulham and a backup at United. He has potential yes but he is a level below Evans and that's why he is behind him in the pecking order.

Evans is better than Smalling at every aspect of the game except in the air which he has improved massively on to be fair the last two seasons.

He went to Fulham when he was 19. Fulham had an excellent centre back partnership back then with Haangaland and Hughes under Hodgeson. A 19/20/21 year-old failing to break up that pair is no issue by any stretch.

At United he has been stuck behind Evans in the pecking order. I say that Ferguson and Moyes are wrong in that choice.
    At Jones age Evans was on loan with Sunderland and was immense a level above anything Jones has done so far in his career.

Not true. Evans was never that good.

No
    Why has Smalling been pushed to rb to get games. The answer is because Evans is better than him and far more developed. Smalling should have been loaned out to a Premier League club the year he was bought. He needs a full run of games to fulfill his potential which he won't do being a squad player at United.

Because Ferguson was mistaken in thinking that Evans is anything special. Moyes seems to have just copied Ferguson in a lot of his selections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

No
    Will never forget moments like this:

The epitome of a player that would fight to the death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A tremendous centre half. Never shy of putting his body on the line dir the team. A ferocious man.

I'll be sad to see him go...but like all great things they come to an end.

Hopefully now allows Jones to step up and become that brilliant defender he was bought to be.

Seismic shift at Old Trafford this season all around...one of the most important summers arriving for aslong as I can remember.

Exciting and yet scary all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Red Crow wrote: »
    Vidic was a great servant for the club. He's defiantly passed his best at this stage. I wonder where he'll end up?

I'm gonna say Monaco.

Because Ferguson was mistaken in thinking that Evans is anything special. Moyes seems to have just copied Ferguson in a lot of his selections.

I am inclined to believe more in Fergie and Moyes opinion on a player more than yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Inter Milan favourites at moment

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Will never forget moments like this:

That is an excellent celebration.

Blatter wrote: »
    Or maybe because Evans can't play right back and Smalling is a victim of his own versatility?

Or it could be the facts. When Rafael is fit and Ferdinand or Vidic are out Evans plays because he is next best in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

This hurts big time. Vidic is along with Scholes my favorite player. Always gave 100%. The best penalty box defender in the world at one stage and would often put his head where other would not put their foot.

zhBjLKj.jpg

This is the most soul destroying part of the season for me. I thought he would be around for two more seasons.

No
    I am inclined to believe more in Fergie and Moyes opinion on a player more than yours.

Why do you bother expressing any opinions about players other than to state that the manager is picking them so?

No
    TheDoc wrote: »
    A tremendous centre half. Never shy of putting his body on the line dir the team. A ferocious man.

I'll be sad to see him go...but like all great things they come to an end.

Hopefully now allows Jones to step up and become that brilliant defender he was bought to be.

Seismic shift at Old Trafford this season all around...one of the most important summers arriving for aslong as I can remember.

Exciting and yet scary all the same

I can't help thinking that any incoming transfers will be late in the summer due to the World Cup, which only adds to another tense transfer window! Hope moyes will have his targets lined up and signed early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Only leader we have. Club captain. Club is seriously short in leaders and players with character now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Its probably the best time for Vidic to leave. He is getting on and lost a yard since the knee injury. It would be sad to see him decline in the toughest league in the world. Instead we can remember him for the warrior he was.

Whoever gets him may get three seasons of an amazingly commited player. They better appreciate him.

So we need two CB's, two MF's, a LB and to replace any deadwood we ship out?

I can see Moyes reacting like this when the Glazers asks who he wants to sign

Gary-Oldman-Yelling-Everyone-Leon-The-Professional.gif

Its going to be a massive summer, the most important in the history of the club in a long long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Not true. Evans was never that good.

He was mate. He was superb. One of the best center backs I've seen at the club and did it at both Championship and then Premier League level the following season which lead Keane to offer £10m for him.

His arrival in the January of our first Premier League season under Keane was probably the main reason we stayed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I would hardly call him technically poor, could control difficult balls and get them to midfield brilliantly imo, not much more you need in his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No
    Bad form if you ask me. Moyes has enough problems. When the going gets tough.

No
    Paully D wrote: »
    He was mate. He was superb. One of the best center backs I've seen at the club and did it at both Championship and then Premier League level the following season which lead Keane to offer £10m for him.

His arrival in the January of our first Premier League season under Keane was probably the main reason we stayed up.

I'm going to guess that you and I would disagree about his performances at any stage in his career. How do you think he has been at United?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Bad form if you ask me. Moyes has enough problems. When the going gets tough.

The rats are deserting the sinking ship it would seem.

Bad business letting him go on a free transfer ,Vidic is only 32,has another 3 years left at the top level.

Worrying times ahead with the possibility that Vidic,Ferdinand and Evra will all be gone in the summer for nothing.
    Moyes will be under massive pressure to bring in decent replacements as the remaining alternatives at the club simply aren't up to scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

No
    :(

No
    This really could be a massive massive blow. Losing the captain, needing so many replacements, it's just not going to be possible to replace them all with the quality we need to compete. I don't see where we go from here. Maybe I'm just being negative but it's just one thing after another this season. We will be losing all our leaders this summer, and I just can't imagine the money being there to replace them. The investment would have to be on a Man City scale.

No

I'll puke if he is made captain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Moyes may already have a replacement for Vidic signed. You never know, maybe Vidic decided to move on when told he wasn't first choice anymore.

Ah, who am I kidding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

No
    Sad to hear hes going but injuries have tormented him last couple of years. A truly world class player in his prime

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement