Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Weird timing, no?

The fella was an absolute beast at reading the ball in the air, and clearing both ball and obstacle to get there.
    Your worst nightmare if you're a CF and most of them knew it.

not as good in the one-on-ones and Rafa knew that and always tried to get him and Torres isolated.

most definitely one of the best CB in the league for many seasons.

knee injury took its toll and I think the shock and disappointment being expressed at his leaving will be more out of fondness for the fella, and not what will be missed in potential future performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I don't like this Man United :(

Can someone post the Vidic / Kyle Walker gif? Christ I could watch that all day. He's off ye ground and after the ball while Walker is mid air!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Wonder if it has anything to do with Adnan's rise to fame. Vidic seems like he might be a bit of a headcase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    Wonder what will happen with Vidic now. Rio has, seemingly, be cast to the margins of the squad, and I wonder if the same will happen with Vidic. Will he come back in, when fit, as first choice or will Moyes push on with 2 from Evans, Jones and Smalling as the future of United, rather than giving game time to players we know won't be here next year.

As for replacing Vidic - Mangala would seemingly be off the shopping list with City looking to do business there, Zouma has gone to Chelsea. Personally, I'd be going for Mehdi Benatia of Roma. Can't think of many other realistic options that would be available to us. Can see it being Garay we bring in though, who isn't a patch on Benatia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No
    Anyone decent in defence coming through for United? Think they're going to need two experienced centre-backs this summer and they won't be easy to come by. I always thought Jones was better suited to playing as a defensive midfielder in front of the back four and Evans and Smalling wouldn't exactly fill you with confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No
    Wonder if it has anything to do with Adnan's rise to fame. Vidic seems like he might be a bit of a headcase.

Adnan, Vidic what :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    I was hoping he'd stay for at least another year, with Ferdinand, evra and giggs leaving/retiring that will be 4 senior players gone next season,
    I don't think smalling and jones are quite the finished product as the centre half pairing just yet but now that vidic has confirmed he is leaving they should be given every opportunity to play as a defensive pair for the rest of the season.
    Anyhow good luck to him

x23nuo.jpg

No
    Anyone decent in defence coming through for United? Think they're going to need two experienced centre-backs this summer and they won't be easy to come by. I always thought Jones was better suited to playing as a defensive midfielder in front of the back four and Evans and Smalling wouldn't exactly fill you with confidence.

Thorpe and Keane would be the two stand outs, prefer Keane myself, but don't think either are ready and don't think either will progress to be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Hopefully we sign a new CB who is a monster physically. We struggle a lot when we come up against a big CF, Vidic was our only answer. Now with him gone we should buy someone who is good and beast physically. Smalling is very strong but we should sign at least one more.

No
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    Adnan, Vidic what :confused:

Adnan is Kosovov Albanian. Vidic is Serbian.

A recent war between the two countries - which Vidic told Fergie he wanted to take part in (according to SAFs recent biography).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Thorpe and Keane would be the two stand outs, prefer Keane myself, but don't think either are ready and don't think either will progress to be good enough.

I was hoping Tyler Blackett gets few appearances as sub but never happened.

Should have been given a chance than signing Buttner IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No
    Only heard the news now, I feel sick, he may not be the player he was but hes still better than any of the others. United's best ever defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

No
    Really disappointing he is going on a free. Really bad business by the united board AGAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No
    Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Hopefully we sign a new CB who is a monster physically. We struggle a lot when we come up against a big CF, Vidic was our only answer. Now with him gone we should buy someone who is good and beast physically. Smalling is very strong but we should sign at least one more.

Ya badly need to replace Vidic with a similar kind of CB who has experience and is a leader,someone like this will be needed to keep the backline on their toes

A fully fit Vidic would have been a massive asset this season,

Great player at his peak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Really disappointing he is going on a free. Really bad business by the united board AGAIN

It's common enough practice to allow long-serving players to leave on frees. It allows them to have a say in the club they join. A fee would rule out many interested parties. It's done more out of respect for the player.

No
    It sort of reminds me of the way Big Peter leaves..

No
    Whats the bets the 3 CBs we are most prominently linked with for the next few months are Garay, Jagielka and Lescott.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Always thought the club might keep Vidic for another year, his expierence and leadership qualities will be sorely missed and i thought with Evra and possibly Rio going too that they should keep him for another year....

A bit sh1te too that he can leave on a free, but i suppose after being bought for £7m, we've defo. got our moneys worth there....

Over the last few months we've heard rumblings from the club about what a big summer we have ahead, its beginning to dawn on me now that it will indeed be massive........going to be alot of outgoings, possibily Vidic, Evra, Rio, Giggs, Anderson, Nani....maybe more? If the right replacements are not bought, we may find ourselves outside the top4 for quite some time.....adding to the summer problems is that its a world cup summer, going to make doing deals all that bit harder, unless we have them done early!!!

Terrified and Excited......

No
    The amount of players looking likely to leave this summer is another reason I am very annoyed at our lack of activity in the transfer window last summer and January. It is simply crazy to leave the amount of transfer we need to this summer, in world cup year. Crazy. We will not only need world class players for the first 11, we will need squad players too - we could have looked for some of those squad players in Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

No
    Its a replacement purchase we could have done without for Atleast another year or 2.

Big investment needed in the summer. 2 centre backs, left back, and 2 centre mids.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It's a perfect time for Vidic to go and find a new challenge elsewhere. He has been an absolute legend for us despite mising so many games in recent years due to that knee injury.

I'd personally would love for him to stay another year but it's only a rolling contract and he deserves a nice 3-year deal where he'll get more gametime and probably more money. We almost certainly have someone presigned.

The thought just occured - Miami :D

No
    Unearthly wrote: »
    Its a replacement purchase we could have done without for Atleast another year or 2.

Big investment needed in the summer. 2 centre backs, left back, and 2 centre mids.

two left backs, and a right back, imo.

Evra going (very likely) and Buttner isn't near good enough. No current proper back up for Raf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

No
    two left backs, and a right back, imo.

Evra going (very likely) and Buttner isn't near good enough. No current proper back up for Raf.

Yeah fair enough I was just thinking of first 11 standard signings needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I have a feeling (probably just optimism) that there are already a handful of signings lined up that will be machine-gunned out prior to the World Cup.

No
    Possible remaining squad....

DDG
    Amos
    Johnstone

Rafael
    Smalling
    Jones
    Evans
    Keane

Carrick
    Fellaini
    Cleverley
    Fletcher
    Young
    Valencia

Mata
    Rooney
    Januzaj

RVP/Chico
    Welbeck

Saying RVP/Chico as I'd be surprised if we kept both.

Massive needs at full back, centre back, central midfield and wing, maybe up front too..... HA!

This summer is going to be frustratingly hilarious.

No
    Why do we need two Centre backs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ye will certainly miss him big time, he's been a top player for ye. Hard as hell on the pitch (no good against Torres though ;) ) but seems a genuinely likable fella off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Can't believe the rubbish getting spouted about Evans. Long gone are the days where Evans was a liability. Very reliable.

1655226_480484398724376_1563068515_o.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    Delboy5 wrote: »
    Over the last few months we've heard rumblings from the club about what a big summer we have ahead, its beginning to dawn on me now that it will indeed be massive........going to be alot of outgoings

It once again shows how badly Moyes wasted the past two transfer windows. There is nobody leaving in the summer that you would say it is a shock to see them go, Vidic in the last year of contract, Rio effectively finished, rumblings of Evra leaving since last summer, etc etc. These are players that we knew needed replacing for two years now.

There have been two transfer windows done and gone since Moyes arrived and there really needed to have been more action on these issues. If we had brought in another midfielder and a left back over the past two windows then we could could focus on 3 or 4 quality players in the summer, a manageable task. A left back last summer and a solid midfielder in January and the picture would look so much different.

Instead, we now we need to buy 5 or 6 players. Even if Moyes is actually able to get them all, it will just mean another season of excuses as all the new signings try to bed in. And thats a massive "if" Moyes is actually able to get them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    We don't NEED 2 CBs in imo. We NEED 1. If we didn't have other problems, we could do with a second, but when we have the other problems, we just can't afford to go for a second.

Realistically, we need:
    1 first team center back
    1 first team left back
    1 back up leftback/rightback (again, we need cover on both sides, but I don't think we can afford 2 players, so could do with 1 who could cover both sides).
    2 first team central midfielders

That's based on who we know or suspect to be leaving/retiring.

On top of that then, we could do with (depending on who is being shipped out):
    1 back up winger
    1 back up striker
    1 back up central midfielder.

That is a massive undertaking, especially for a club who has only brought in 2 first team players over the last 2 windows under the current manager.

Genuinely dreading this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

No
    With Vidic, Rio & Evra gone, that is a big loss of experience at the back..

Bar Rooney and a possible future Jones, United have no warriors that will fight with ferocity and bravery, leaders on the pitch (Can only see Rooney getting captaincy), which to me is a big worry at a top level club.

The massive investment needed in the squad now has surpassed anything I could have thought of, for it all to happen at once too. 2 CM's, possible winger, world-class CB, 2 LB's and a RB needed for sure.

The major concern is if United don't replace these with quality, the overall level of the team will decline, which in the future could see us stagnate around Europa league positions.

It is entirely up to the club now for the most important window I can think of, it would be crazy not to have at least 3 signings confirmed almost as the window opens..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I can't help thinking that any incoming transfers will be late in the summer due to the World Cup, which only adds to another tense transfer window! Hope moyes will have his targets lined up and signed early.

With the scouting work that is clearly taking place, I'd hope targets are wrapped up as early as possible. As we know players values skyrocket during a World Cup, and the players we are looking at will most likely have a pretty decent to good tournament

No
    I have a feeling (probably just optimism) that there are already a handful of signings lined up that will be machine-gunned out prior to the World Cup.

There really needs to be. We have known our problems for a long time now, I was genuinely surprised that nothing was arranged Oct-Dec ready for signing as soon as the January window opened. Instead it appeared to the world as if no scouting even took place until January.

Woodward can't **** about any more. Get the deals done before the summer, make the transfer window a formality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    Sad day to see him leave. The only real warrior in the squad, with Jones the only one showing he may have the potential for that sort of role.I still think he had at least another couple of seasons in him for Utd. I wonder if the current predicament of the club hasten his decision to leave. Be interesting to hear what, if anything, he says about his brief workings with Moyes at Utd.

Another body that now needs replacing in the squad that distracts from the midfield being addressed, with more defensive departures in the summer most likely.

It really is gloomy times for Utd.

I know I will get lambasted for this most likely and you are mostly sick of hearing this but, I just cannot wait until the day that Moyes is shown the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    Also I wouldnt be as sure as most that Rooney will definitely sign a new contract. In fact I would think he probably hasnt made his mind made up and will see how the summer plays out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Great player but his time has come, he'll get a nice big pay day now.

There are a lot of wages being freed up which will be instrumental when you hear the relatively low wages someone like Kroos was on.

Some guys complaining for complaining's sake re the last 2 windows... Every time we were linked with a cb there was outcry as to why we weren't buying a midfielder plus if we had replaced Vidic in either of the 2windows we would have 6 centre backs on the books unless you are advocating Vidic should have been released.
    What appropriately classed centre half would be willing to share that game time?

Massive summer upcoming, its gonna be exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    Can't believe the rubbish getting spouted about Evans. Long gone are the days where Evans was a liability. Very reliable.

what defines a defensive error in those stats, cas Jones has none!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No
    You get the feeling that the target at the start of next season will be to secure CL football rather than challenge for the title. Unless recruitment goes extremely well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It's common enough practice to allow long-serving players to leave on frees. It allows them to have a say in the club they join. A fee would rule out many interested parties. It's done more out of respect for the player.

This.

With a player like Vidic, you have reaped your financial return tenfold. We had a powerhouse centre back who as many have said spent many years being the best CB in the world, truly brilliant signing by Ferguson.

Allowing them to leave for free or a slashed fee, allows them to essentially dictate where they go.

Has happened for a lot of players down the years, especially those who were great servants.

Some comments about timing and if this is all people jumping ship, I think it's the opposite. This goes to put some definite to what has been speculation and rumours about Vidic for a number of years, but intensifying this year.

He will either be heroic for the run in, or just be replaced by Jones/Smalling.

I mentioned at the start of the season that Moyes task was bigger then people acknowledged, and one of the main challenges was the loss of power, and inevitable breakup of one of the strongest CB pairings in the league. I knew Ferdinand was on the fall, but for essentially the pair to be kaput in the same season, that's tough going.

Its scary to look at our squad right now. Its at a real low ebb. These are tough times and the squad is looking weak and one of our few world class players has just announced his retirement.

Defense

Vidic set to leave.
    Rio's time is up.
    Evra's time is up.
    Raf is good but shaky at times, not sure he will reach world class levels.
    Buttner should not be near the team.
    Jones, Smalling and Evans can be called upon.

Whats needed: Two CB's, a LB, cover for that LB also cover for Raf needed. Thats five needed. We wont get five in the summer but it needs to happen in the next 2-3 seasons.

Midfield cm+wide

Carrick is getting on (32) and has not been good this season.
    Clev is not good enough.
    Fletch may not be able to play a lot due to his condition and is 30.
    Fellaini has yet to impress.
    Kagawa is a good player but is finding it hard to fit in.
    Ando's day is done

Giggs needs to go.
    Val may not be good enough as an attacking force ever again.
    Young is not utd standard.
    Nani may be on the way out.

Januzaj and Mata are the new hope.

Needed: Two central players at a minimum, one or even two wingers if we ship out players.

Forwards

RVP, world class but getting on and picking up injuries.
    Rooney is our best player imo, picking up a few niggles but reliable for now.
    Chico is good when he gets a run
    Welbeck, hot and cold

Needed:
    We can afford not to add here aslong as injuries are not serious and nobody is shipped out.

When you sit back and look at it there are many weak points in the squad. Our best first 11 relies on players not getting injured but once the do a lot of question marks come into the team and you never know what type of game they will have.

Its shocking that its gotten to this stage. The fact is was not addressed for years is worrying. Scholes, Hargreves and even as far back as Keane were not addressed. CR7's replacement was Val, although good at first he has slipped very far. Young and Buttner.

Moyes has brough in Fellaini and Mata but its clear we need a major rebuild. If the youth academy can address some weak points it would be a relief.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    what defines a defensive error in those stats, cas Jones has none!!??

The defensive error stat is erroneous. No way there have been that few. Also Jones stats in CM effects his stats. Rio is done.

I'm guessing gifting the ball to a player must be the defensive error or giving away a penalty. Rio getting watlzed past against West Brom was bad but how to measure it as an error?

I was more interested in the defensive stats. Its clear Jones and Smalling are the future at CB and Evans is reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

No
    Moyes' (Or any manager that would have come in) timing has been very unfortunate all the same, coming in at this time would have been tough, with the squad ageing, experienced players leaving and no CM's..

Really is gonna be a new era for the club, Fergie gone and a couple of his players now following..

Could be a new look United side next season, Kroos would be an outstanding signing.
    If United continue this season in this form though and more defeats follow suit, I'd happily let someone else come in and do the rebuilding. Would love to have a possession based manager come in, be a nice change..

No
    ericzeking wrote: »
    Some guys complaining for complaining's sake re the last 2 windows... Every time we were linked with a cb there was outcry as to why we weren't buying a midfielder plus if we had replaced Vidic in either of the 2windows we would have 6 centre backs on the books unless you are advocating Vidic should have been released.
    What appropriately classed centre half would be willing to share that game time?

Talk about missing the point. Nobody has said we should have bought a CB in the last two windows. Nobody.

The simple point was that if we had conducted proper business when we had the opportunity, we would not now be stuck having to do everything at once. If we had not wasted the two transfer windows we would now have more leeway to deal with the departure of somebody like Vidic.

How you can go from that to "we would have 6 centre backs on the books" is astounding.

No
    adox wrote: »
    Also I wouldnt be as sure as most that Rooney will definitely sign a new contract. In fact I would think he probably hasnt made his mind made up and will see how the summer plays out.

I reckon the Rooney contract is signed, they are just waiting to announce it.

2 windows is one season. These problems have been there for years.

We have a had a lot of changes in one season and people don't like it. They hammer Moyes as means of coping.

If he doesn't address a rebuild of some sort in the summer he will be on thin ice. If he does add to the squad but can't get them playing better then he can go but he will be there next season regardless of 4th place or no 4th place.

No
    ericzeking wrote: »
    Great player but his time has come, he'll get a nice big pay day now.

There are a lot of wages being freed up which will be instrumental when you hear the relatively low wages someone like Kroos was on.

Massive summer upcoming, its gonna be exciting.

We should have got at least one left back and a centre mid in January - arguably a backup right back as well.

That would have left us with less work to do in the summer.

Based on how difficult United have found doing deals in the last two windows, I have little confidence that we will be able to negotiate for 4 or 5 top players and a few squad players in the summer with great success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No

Well according to that Vidic has won nearly double the amount of aerial duels that Evans has despite playing almost an identical amount of games. Jones and Smalling are not fair comparisons in that graphic due to the amount of games played at RB and CM between the two of them.

Also, a fair few of those aerial duels won by Evans have been dodgy headers put back into akward areas. He is definitely weak in the air but a fairly good CB other than that. That weakness is hard to overlook though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    So whos will be coming in, thats the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's gonna cost a serious amount of cash to fix the deficiencies in the team during the Summer.Fergie had season after season to remedy some of these and we got the "no value in the market" spiel.Now look what's happened,players not up to scratch or leaving anyway and suddenly our team is looking very thin.

The Summer transfer market will be either the making or breaking of Moyes at the club,if he gets in the right personell and has them playing with verve then all will be good.If we see the repeat of the balls up of last Summer then he should walk.

Arsenal will have massive revenues now that they are debt free,that's another club joining the list with Chelsea & City for whom money won't be a problem,we can't afford to fall further behind in the way we've regressed this season.

Moyes is slow & meticulous in his acquisition of players,hopefully all the scouting that's been going on is building towards some very good signings in the Summer and this season has been privately written off,we need no more slip ups & Liverpool to falter in order to have a chance of ECL football next year bar we win the thing.Before we'd have said 7 points to reign in is easy enough but now we can't win two games in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No
    I've no doubt in my mind that Vidic would have stayed if it was a Mourinho, Klopp etc as manager.

Oh well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement