Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'd say Arsene could be starting to think about retirement and might want to go out on a win like Ferguson. If he was to leave without winning a league in over a decade he wouldn't leave much of a legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Fellaini out for another week, so says Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

J. Marston wrote: »

Is it still wrist? Don't want to be funny but is that a bad injury for a soccer player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭bren2001

8-10 wrote: »
    Is it still wrist? Don't want to be funny but is that a bad injury for a soccer player?

Picked up a groin injury during the week. Out for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No
    J. Marston wrote: »

I've been confused about Fellianis injury since it was first announced while away on international duty and he subsequently played for Belgium and Utd for a while after. Seemed odd it wasn't just dealt with when it first surfaced. Its still a wrist injury or..?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    Mutual decision to let Vida go? Another baffling decision from DM.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Picked up a groin injury during the week. Out for a week.

Makes more sense. Don't want to injure that too badly, hurts like hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

bullvine wrote: »
    I will be shocked if Young leaves.

If reports are true that he earns 100k plus a week then he will be impossible to sell.

No
    lordgoat wrote: »

Maybe he wanted an indication that he would be first choice next season and that wasn't forthcoming. Bit risky changing Rio and Vidic in one go even though I guess neither are first choice at this stage.

No
    Makes more sense. Don't want to injure that too badly, hurts like hell!

Ya the old wrist injury to groin injury. A pretty common route.

• Advertisement

No
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    Maybe he wanted an indication that he would be first choice next season and that wasn't forthcoming. Bit risky changing Rio and Vidic in one go even though I guess neither are first choice at this stage.

I would have thought DM would have wanted to keep him, but mutual implies, vida wanted to leave (which i can understand) and DM not wanting to renew his contract/ ok with him leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

muscle and nerves through your wrist connect through your entire arm. A bad wrist injury can mean shooting pains going up your arm. Considering when you run, you arms move in tandum, it can be pretty discomforting when jogging or running.

Even if it was just isolated to the wrist and wrist only, you still rotate your wrist plenty during a match, so could easily see why it would hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

lordgoat wrote: »

My guess would be Vidic first approached them about leaving. I would imagine after Fergie leaving and his age he decided to call it a day.

Maybe they tried to talk him around but I imagine Vidic is strong willed and he was such a good servant they wanted to thank him and gave him his wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Excited about Utd's new look 11 for next season. Hopefully no more bore players.

TheDoc wrote: »
    muscle and nerves through your wrist connect through your entire arm. A bad wrist injury can mean shooting pains going up your arm. Considering when you run, you arms move in tandum, it can be pretty discomforting when jogging or running.

Even if it was just isolated to the wrist and wrist only, you still rotate your wrist plenty during a match, so could easily see why it would hurt.

Thanks Doc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

No
    Excited about Utd's new look 11 for next season. Hopefully no more bore players.

I was excited before the start of this season too... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

No

I don't quite agree here, Vidic is only 32 and imo the best CB at the club still. One more year would have been ideal.

No
    Thecon21 wrote: »
    I don't quite agree here, Vidic is only 32 and imo the best CB at the club still. One more year would have been ideal.

I mean David Moyes first choice CB not mine. I would be surprised if Moyes said to Vidic that he wanted him next season and he would be first choice and he still decided to go. I guess Moyes could give no assurances about his place in the team. speculation of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Thecon21 wrote: »

Vidic is 32 and a great servant but has had niggling injuries lately. I would have loved him to stay and pick and choose what games he played in.

I couldn't begrudge him a big money move to PSG or Monaco which could be on the cards. Also a move to Italy would suit his game i just wish him the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Wasn't there rumours out last summer too that Vida's wife really wants to move away?

I don't get why people are all up on Moyes' back about this one. Did anyone who knew that Vida's contract was running out really think he was going to re-sign?

Perhaps Moyes should have been more coy and used the word amicable instead of mutual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    Julez wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Blaming Moyes for Vidic leaving is real petty. Didn't he almost leave aswell before he signed his last contract. Did I remember hearing some moan about the weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

No
    Julez wrote: »

I wasn't to be honest. I expected a transitional season and when the squad wasn't greatly added to during the summer, I knew it would be a transitional season. My definition of transitional would have been third place, a decent run in the FA cup and QF's in Champions League. About 60% way through the season now and we're out of the FA cup and I wouldn't place my house on the other two happening. I'll put my hands up and say I don't know much about Olympiakos but I'd take a guess that they'll fancy their chances and similar to Swansea and Sunderland, will have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    this is not Moyes fault.

Vidic has been sensational player for us. he deserves to leave on his terms.

he owes United nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No
    this is not Moyes fault.

he owes United nothing

I've no doubt that with a different, more exciting manager he would have stayed until the end.

• Advertisement

No
    RasTa wrote: »
    I've no doubt that with a different, more exciting manager he would have stayed until the end.

he hinted at leaving last season.

this has very little to do with Moyes.

people need to get a grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

RasTa wrote: »

It's probably better for all concerned that he leaves now, as much as I love the guy. He's been picking up injuries, and that ACL one was massive, a lot of people never fully recover from those. He will probably decline pretty rapidly, Rio style, over the next couple of seasons and would find himself on the sidelines more and more often.

I would say this would be happening under SAF too, don't see how this one can be pinned on Moyes. Better for him to go out on a relative high and get the send-off he deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

With Kew on this one, too many times to he linked with other clubs. Granted at the time we hit a hat trick of CL finals, I always knew in my heart of hearts he wouldn't finish his days at the club and would move on.

I think people are trying to proportion the blame on Moyes for the sake of it. This is one of those things that just happens, who knows what was said behind closed doors, but the club might aswell have seen this is a chance to move all the old guard out. Get in new players that are Moyes players, who will fight for him and play for him.

Surprised Cleverly isn't getting the blame here.

this is not Moyes fault.

he owes United nothing

Some people will use anything they can find as a stick to beat Moyes with at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

No
    It's probably better for all concerned that he leaves now, as much as I love the guy. He's been picking up injuries, and that ACL one was massive, a lot of people never fully recover from those. He will probably decline pretty rapidly, Rio Gangnam style, over the next couple of seasons and would find himself on the sidelines more and more often.

I would say this would be happening under SAF too, don't see how this one can be pinned on Moyes. Better for him to go out on a relative high and get the send-off he deserves.

FYP :P

tumblr_m9p96hnQVc1qgy3iwo1_500.gif

• Advertisement

No
    Sacramento wrote: »
    Some people will use anything they can find as a stick to beat Moyes with at this stage.

we can blame he for a lot but he has done well in regards keeping players and getting players to sign on etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

No
    Don't think you can fault Moyes or Vidic. Vidic would have wanted a 2 year deal minimum at his current pay which is too much for a defender on the decline. Moyes might have wanted to keep him for a year but might also look at it and say he needs to start rebuilding a team.

It's the best for both parties IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    I'm probably one of the main drivers of the Anti-Moyes train, but don't blame him for Vidic leaving at all.

I think most expected (or should have been expecting) Vidic to leave this summer, and he's been linked with numerous clubs over the last few seasons. By next season, given his current trajectory, he wouldn't or shouldn't be near the first team on a consistant basis, and with the summer window coming up, he was likely going to slip down the pecking order.

Would he have stayed for a different manager? Maybe.
    Would that necessarily have been a good thing? Probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

TheDoc wrote: »
    Surprised Cleverly isn't getting the blame here.

Agh sure c'mere why don't we also blame Welbeck and Young while were at it:P
    And Evra too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭alwayssideways

No
    brinty wrote: »
    Agh sure c'mere why don't we also blame Welbeck and Young while were at it:P
    And Evra too

Don't forget Woodward, he will feel left out if he doesn't get some blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Nemanja ohhh, Nemanja ohhh,
    He comes from Serbia...
    He'll f**kin' Murder Ya!

Absolute beast of a defender, will be missed.

Wish him well wherever he goes, he`s probably sick of the rain in Manchester!:)

pr-mu-vidic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

The only positive from all of these players leaving or coming to the end of their careers at UTD is that it really spells the end of the Fergie era.

Why is that good? Well a change in style is possible for the first time in a long time. It may not be Moyes at the helm but I would welcome a more continental style of play. I'm not sure Moyes has ever done that though.

No
    Who blamed Moyes for Vidic leaving? Alot of people looking for something when it's not there.

All I said was it was another puzzling decision from him saying that the decision to part ways was mutual. To me that means he was ok with Vida leaving. I find that strange. People can surmise all they want about what he might have meant but using those words it's a strange decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No
    I'm blaming Moyes for not convincing him to stay :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No
    Sacramento wrote: »

8 defeats is a pretty big stick not sure anymore sticks are needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    In Moyes conference he mentioned he wanted René meulensteen to stay but he wanted to leave. I suppose it shows he did want to keep a few backroom staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Next year is our year lads.

No
    Vidic or Stam as best CB we had in past 20 years?

Ye can name someone else although I think these 2 edge it ahead of Johnson and Rio

I would go
    1.Vidic
    2. Stam
    3. Johnson
    4. Rio

Bruce and Palister were fine pairing too but felt they needed each other not far behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

No
    Who cares weather its mutual lets just celbrate a great player leader and captain

No
    Liam O wrote: »
    Next year is our year lads.

21 here we come

Choo choo!!

No
    21 here we come

Choo choo!!

I think he means top 4 :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    I think he means top 4 :eek:

I think he means top 10 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

No
    I think he means top 10 :P

I think he means avoid relegation!!

No
    Or maybe winning the Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I meant it in a Liverpool 2008 way, not a Liverpool 2012 way obvo goys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement