Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    Vidic or Stam as best CB we had in past 20 years?

Rio Ferdinand was the best CB of any of those mentioned, he seems to be underrated on here. In his prime Ferdinand was simply awesome, in my mind the best defender in the world for a long time.

Somebody mentioned Vidic's weakness with the ball at his feet, but Ferdinand didn't have any weaknesses, he was the complete package. You might see less of the blood and thunder tackles but that was because he didn't have to do it, his reading of the game and his pace meant it never came to that.

Some fantastic defenders at the club over the years but a prime Ferdinand would be top of the list for me. And like Cantona, when he gets banned United lose the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I'm really miss Vidic. The best centre back in PL history IMO. I'll always remember when Drogba slapped him in the Moscow final and instead of going down holding his face like 99% of footballers would, he had to be held back from tearing his head off. True warrior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Dancor wrote: »
    I'm really miss Vidic. The best centre back in PL history IMO. I'll always remember when Drogba slapped him in the Moscow final and instead of going down holding his face like 99% of footballers would, he had to be held back from tearing his head off. True warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I wouldn't say the best, might not even be top 5 tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I wouldn't say the best, might not even be top 5 tbh.

Who are the top 5 then? And where does Vidic actually rank in your opinion?

• Advertisement

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Who are the top 5 then? And where does Vidic actually rank in your opinion?

I'd have Stam, JT, Carvalho, McGrath, and Campbell all ahead of him. Maybe a couple of others too, so i'd probably have him somewhere between 8 and 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

No
    I'd have Stam, JT, Carvalho, McGrath, and Campbell all ahead of him. Maybe a couple of others too, so i'd probably have him somewhere between 8 and 10.

Jesus.

No
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    Jesus.

Whatever about the other two, Sol Campbell was a beast of a defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Fanny Brioscaí

my top centre halfs at Manutd.

Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Johnsen
    Stam

I was really hoping Vidic would stay another year to help bring on Jones and Smalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Quaint wrote: »
    my top centre halfs at Manutd.

Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Johnsen
    Stam

I was really hoping Vidic would stay another year to help bring on Jones and Smalling.

without the presence of vidic it could be the making of the younger centre halves. They haveto step up now and be the leaders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No

Drogba was a monster. Would have been a good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

No
    You can't have a list of top CBs without including Tony Adams imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Some good news! De Gea will sign a new 5 year deal next week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    Jesus.

Technically he was good. But ****e under crosses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    Mandy Henry tweeted quotes from Moyes saying something like Evans, Smalling and Jones are the future of Uniteds defense. Thats great news. Hopefully no more Right back and Centre Midfield distractions. Just keep them all at Centre Half and rotate them for injuries and fatigue.

Here's the article.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/david-moyes-puts-faith-evans-6685715

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Some good news! De Gea will sign a new 5 year deal next week :)

If this is true, Rooney looking like signing a new contract and Mata signing big deals must be in place for the summer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    De Gea signing is a huge boost IF it happens.

Aside:
    http://instagram.com/p/kII_4GG4rE/

No
    lordgoat wrote: »
    De Gea signing is a huge boost IF it happens.

Aside:
    http://instagram.com/p/kII_4GG4rE/

If only he was as good a footballer as he is a singer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    Mata and De Gea signing....maybe a few Spaniards on their way to OT?

:-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

de Gea signing a new deal would be fantastic news!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

No

Riiiiight.

You do realise McGrath played about 2 and a half seasons max for Villa in that time. Stam was world class no doubt. JT and Carvalho benefited from a system that made the msot of them as CB's.

Actually, why the hell am I even bothering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    Trilla wrote: »
    Mata and De Gea signing....maybe a few Spaniards on their way to OT?

:-P

Moreno at LB is possible, Shaw will go to Chelsea and there arnt many top young players in that position.

Riiiiight.

You do realise McGrath played about 2 and a half seasons max for Villa in that time. Stam was world class no doubt. JT and Carvalho benefited from a system that made the msot of them as CB's.

Actually, why the hell am I even bothering.

Dunno mate, because you clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about. That or you can't bring yourself to admit two Chelsea players are better than one of our best ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Dunno mate, because you clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about. That or you can't bring yourself to admit two Chelsea players are better than one of our best ever.

Thats your opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No

JT is probably on par with Vidic, Vida probably edges it due to generally being decent human being.

Carvalho is behind both but was an excellent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

It's your opinion and one that the majority of people seem to disagree with, take from that what you will, but perhaps the general consensus is that it's perhaps you that doesn't have a clue.....

beno619 wrote: »
    JT is probably on par with Vidic, Vida probably edges it due to generally being decent human being.

Carvalho is behind both but was an excellent player.

No, JT was a better defender, he's still on top form even today. Don't care about what they are like as human beings.

Carvalho was probably better than both but the majority of fans don't recognise it because he wasn't a blood and guts type like Terry or Vidic, but he knew his craft inside out. An amazing defender in his day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I have Carvalho ahead of Terry alright, very clever defender, one of the best to grace the league.

Not as good as Vidic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Anyone else have a slightly sour taste in their mouth that Vidic is choosing to leave after a really poor season on United's part?? Maybe he would have come to this decision if united were in title contention, but to me it strikes me as a lack of character to not want to stay and fight to help united return to the top. I know he's not a local and he has no real ties to the club, but the players always talk about how one of the strengths of united was that everyone buys into the family nature of the club and how everyone is a real part of it. As a fan i'm a bit bitter about it personally, though I have faith in the young centre halfs to step up, with probably the most accomplished of them currently (Evans) being the third wheel in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Anyone else have a slightly sour taste in their mouth that Vidic is choosing to leave after a really poor season on United's part?? Maybe he would have come to this decision if united were in title contention, but to me it strikes me as a lack of character to not want to stay and fight to help united return to the top. I know he's not a local and he has no real ties to the club, but the players always talk about how one of the strengths of united was that everyone buys into the family nature of the club and how everyone is a real part of it. As a fan i'm a bit bitter about it personally, though I have faith in the young centre halfs to step up, with propbably the most accomplished of them currently (Evans) being the third wheel in the long run.

No. I think the plan was always to leave, regardless of what happened this year.

No. I think the plan was always to leave, regardless of what happened this year.

I could well believe that was the case, but the way things have transpired I can't help feeling a wee bit bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anyone else have a slightly sour taste in their mouth that Vidic is choosing to leave after a really poor season on United's part?? Maybe he would have come to this decision if united were in title contention, but to me it strikes me as a lack of character to not want to stay and fight to help united return to the top. I know he's not a local and he has no real ties to the club, but the players always talk about how one of the strengths of united was that everyone buys into the family nature of the club and how everyone is a real part of it. As a fan i'm a bit bitter about it personally, though I have faith in the young centre halfs to step up, with propbably the most accomplished of them currently (Evans) being the third wheel in the long run.

TBH I can't say I've any sour taste in my mouth,I think Vidic owes the club nothing.Truly great servant of the club who deserves to able to leave the club at a time of his own choosing.Certainly don't perceive that he's attempting to desert a sinking ship.
    If I recall many years ago he mentioned how much he hated the Manchester weather.His wife oftentimes made known her dislike of the incessant rain!

seligehgit wrote: »
    TBH I can't say I've any sour taste in my mouth,I think Vidic owes the club nothing.Truly great servant of the club who deserves to able to leave the club at a time of his own choosing.Certainly don't perceive that he's attempting to desert a sinking ship.
    If I recall many years ago he mentioned how much he hated the Manchester weather.His wife oftentimes made known her dislike of the incessant rain!

Yeah, all those things are perfectly reasonable. But he IS deserting a sinking ship, whether that be the intent or not. and that will tarnish my thoughts on him as a club icon.

No
    Yeah, all those things are perfectly reasonable. But he IS deserting a sinking ship, whether that be the intent or not. and that will tarnish my thoughts on him as a club icon.

Its not deserting when you have made your intentions clear well in advance.

What is it with some United fans being so ****ing bitter towards their club legends? There are people who hate Peter Schmeichel for gods sake, an absolute legend for the club and some people hate him because of what happened in his late thirties. Paul Ince, Mark Hughes, again absolute warriors that played big parts in breaking the 26 year title drought, yet today you will have so called 'fans' spouting rubbish about how they don't like them.

And now Vidic. A 'fan' feels bitter towards Nemanja Vidic. Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Yeah I am a bit disappointed in Vidic too, timing is not great at all. Could be a very good centre back for a top European club for another few years.

+

Macheda looks like a good lad. Hope he does will at Birmingham.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No
    Real fan wars going on a bit too much in these threads. :(

No
    Boggles the mind how people can feel sour towards Vidic. Is his contract not up this summer? He's 32 now. On a free he essentially gets to choose his swansong yet people feel because we are shíte he should
    Ruin any potential chance of a swansong at the highest level (No one will buy out his contract at 32 years old) yet remain, probably at best, a bit part player?

His intention was always to leave United. Never spouted off about wanting to end his career here and the man owes nothing. One of the best defenders to ever play the game, nevermind just for us. Players leave your club. It happens. People should be happy when it happens amicably as it is going to with Vida.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    Vidic owes us nothing, at the end of the season he'll have given us 9 great years,
    He'll always be my favourite Unuted defender, this picture says it all

f71xj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Vidic has one big payday left in him and he's choosing to do it abroad, more than likely in a warmer climate, where he can enjoy his last few seasons with a new challenge.
    Good luck to him. He's been brilliant for us for the last 8 years. He's been the rock that defence is built on and literally put his body in harms way on dozens of occasions. If we get half as much loyal service from his successors, we'll be doing well.
    It's time for Evans, Jones and Smalling to step up now and move from potential future stars, to first team regulars. The new faces of a new United. We've had some brilliant defences over the years. These lads should be relishing the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of Vidic, Rio, Stam, Johnson, Bruce, McGrath and others.

One more thing,

Enough of this " Sinking Ship " nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

No
    Is it a fair comment to say that United would be in the top four this year easily if Jose took over last summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Vidic will go down as a club legend.

He gave us 8 great years of top quality service.

I wish him very best.

Its laughable to see people suggest he is walking away when it was in our hour of needs in the past that he delivered truly top notch performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    Vidic will go down as a club legend.

He gave us 8 great years of top quality service.

I wish him very best.

Its laughable to see people suggest he is walking away when it was in our hour of needs in the past that he delivered truly top notch performances.

You get a gold star for that Kew :)

No
    Is it a fair comment to say that United would be in the top four this year easily if Jose took over last summer?

I have little doubt whatsoever that we would be top four with Jose as manager.

For all that we have a lot of dead weight in the squad, we absolutely should not be playing as poorly as we have this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Vidic is on decline and after the great service he has provided for the club, it's good decision from club to let him choose the club of his choice. He deserves to try his luck somewhere else, not everyone can retire at the club.

8 years is so so long in modern day and from a foreign player. One of Fergie's best ever buys and I don't have even 0.000001% of bitterness because of him leaving. My only concern is we will miss him for sure, he was leader on the pitch.

Also Evra wanted to leave few years back but they stayed to stay for few more years. Like Vidic, Evra and Rio deserves to pick club of their choice as they spent all their peak years for ManUtd and offered a lot for what we paid them.

Its not deserting when you have made your intentions clear well in advance.

What is it with some United fans being so ****ing bitter towards their club legends? There are people who hate Peter Schmeichel for gods sake, an absolute legend for the club and some people hate him because of what happened in his late thirties. Paul Ince, Mark Hughes, again absolute warriors that played big parts in breaking the 26 year title drought, yet today you will have so called 'fans' spouting rubbish about how they don't like them.

And now Vidic. A 'fan' feels bitter towards Nemanja Vidic. Pathetic.

Agree with pretty much everything everyone has said in the last page about Vidic being a great servant, always gave as much if not more than any other player on the field. If you think its pathetic that I feel slightly bitter about his departure, fair enough! Football is an emotive game, and me, being the flawed son of a gun that I am, may not always think rationally on all matters relating to the club. Don't let my pathetic attitude ruin your day though, mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

No
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto//public/football//article3999471.ece

Hmmm I wonder what he means about Evra.
    David Moyes, the Manchester United manager, expressed confidence for the future yesterday, despite the prospect of losing three hugely experienced defenders at the end of the season and the pressure this will bring him in the transfer market this summer.

Nemanja Vidic, the United captain, confirmed on Thursday night that this would be his last season at Old Trafford after eight years at the club.

Rio Ferdinand, Vidic’s longstanding central defensive partner, is also expected to leave the Barclays Premier League champions when his deal expires at the end of the campaign and there is grave uncertainty over the future of Patrice Evra, the left back who is also out of contract in the summer.

With Moyes hoping to sign at least two midfielders and a striker during the close season, the loss of the backbone of United’s defence under Sir Alex Ferguson would leave the manager also needing to buy two left backs and at least one centre half — a tall order in a World Cup year when United may have no prospect of Champions League football to offer would-be recruits.

Nonetheless, Moyes insisted he was unfazed by the prospect and had faith in Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans to fill the void.

“It could have happened at any time,” Moyes said when asked about the perils of losing three vastly experienced players at once. “They are great pros, working hard and still here. [With] two of them it’s still hypothetical. You think of the old manager and the process of evolution he had with some great players, when he found he had to move players on, or change it around.

“We’ve got Evans, Jones and Smalling — three really good, up-and- coming centre halves. They’ll be the future of the club. I’m hoping the young ones who we’ve already given games to and a grounding will step up to the plate.
    “I hope they will become young centre halves with lots of experience who can be here for the next five or six years. We’ll look to see what we need in the summer and look to see what is the right time.”

Moyes — who said Vidic and the club “feel it’s the right time to move on” — insisted that the Serbia player would, however, retain the captain’s armband.

On Evra’s future, Moyes added: “I speak with Pat a lot, I know the people he works with. There are things in place and we’ll tell you when we want to.

Evans misses tomorrow’s home game against Fulham with a calf strain and Marouane Fellaini, the midfielder, is out for another week with a groin injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Vidic will go down as a club legend and owes United nothing but does anyone else think it would have been better for this to be kept quiet until the end of the season .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

No
    No.

Oh right,

So before you signed a manager and before the transfer window began you knew that top four was not achievable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Oh right,

So before you signed a manager and before the transfer window began you knew that top four was not achievable?

I never said it wasn't achievable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement