Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would love to know what Moyes was telling the players during the match. Were all the high balls his idea or was he telling the players no to.

The senior players must be questioning the tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Good to hear about Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Had he been playing with City yesterday or United players with confidence we would have scored least 2 more goals.

The last 2 games we have at least been creating chances. We were unlucky yesterday in lot of ways, sadly though Moyes brought a lot of this misfortune on himself. Bringing on Welbeck yesterday had me raging.

Did you see Fletcher on the bench when that substitution was taking place,his expression spoke volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If we plucked Yaya and Fernandinho and put them in our midfield we would be challenging for the league now. It's simple as that really, the defence just have 0 confidence in the midfield so long balls are played which is an embarrassment when you have quality like Mata, Kagawa, Rooney who all thrive with the ball on the ground.

Hopefully Fellaini makes a difference and Carrick stops being woeful and finds the form he hit last season to battle it out for 4th. Until the summer when the problem can be fixed once and for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No
    I want to win as many trophies as I can.

Any good in midfield? Are you available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    Phil Jones is ok anyway, just a concussion.

Nani out for another month now, been a bit of a Darren Anderton this season.

I honestly don't expect to ever see Nani in a United jersey again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No
    J. Marston wrote: »
    Getting tired of Nani's injuries.

I suspect he isn't as injured as Moyes lets on, think he was signed up on a contract to protect the clubs investment on him.
    My own opinion always was that Moyes simply does not rate him much the same as Kagawa really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Welcome back Zerks.

No
    dahat wrote: »
    Any good in midfield? Are you available?

No but I make great Lasagna.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

No
    I have bit my tongue so long now at this stage and just can't even begin to comprehend what exactly is happening !

There is nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing to suggest that David Moyes is the right man for this job. It seems to be the only thing was SAF belief in him which surely is slowly diminishing at this stage ?

I was reading on a different forum how one poster believed that everyone is Old Trafford is getting a free pass this season. I for one think its a disgrace at this stage. The players seem to have been given a free pass by the media,SAF, Moyes. They know if they fail it'll be down to "transition". It is clear for everyone to see that they are not performing. This is a title winning side ( or at least it was ) , this side won the league at a canter.

I believe that he has already lost parts of the dressing room, that's extremely worrying. I even look at Ryan Giggs and he doesn't get involved with anything on the bench , it seems he has the sense to stay away from the pantomime.

Moyes use of tactics and starting line ups are confusing. We don't have natural playing style, no identity. Our winning mentality is more or less gone. Our fitness is worse then ever and we still have to many injuries. But the most important thing is that we lose games we normally win.

His failure to sign a CM this year , A position that he identified. He took a gamble not getting anyone in January to fill this void and I think come the end of the season he should live with the consequences.

http://www.hasmoyesbeensacked.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

No
    If we plucked Yaya and Fernandinho and put them in our midfield we would be challenging for the league now. It's simple as that really, the defence just have 0 confidence in the midfield so long balls are played which is an embarrassment when you have quality like Mata, Kagawa, Rooney who all thrive with the ball on the ground.

Hopefully Fellaini makes a difference and Carrick stops being woeful and finds the form he hit last season to battle it out for 4th. Until the summer when the problem can be fixed once and for all.

I couldn't agree more with this.

We're seeing a worst case scenario with our centre mids this season

- Carrick injured and not on form when he does play.
    - Cleverleys development has completely halted and he appears to be getting worse
    - Fellaini comes in injured and doesn't hit the ground running.
    - Giggs is obviously not a centre midfielder and doesn't have the engine to play there
    - Jones does his best but he's simply not ever going to be able to play as part of a centre mid pairing.

A lot of us here were afraid this would happen if Carrick ever got injured and we didn't have adequate cover. This is Fergie's legacy. He left the gaping hole in midfield for the last 5 years. He left Pogba go. To be fair to Moyes he has tried to at least address part of the problem by signing Fellaini but for a few different reasons this hasn't worked out so far. Moyes has also not helped himself with his poor game plans and insistence on predictable limp wing based attacks.

Our poor centre midfield is just killing any chance the team has of playing as a a tight unit. The ineptitude of our wingers just compounds the problem.

If Moyes had the balls to abandon the 2 traditional wingers and go with RVPup top with a flexible 3 behind him we might see improvement. It might take a while to implement but it honestly couldn't be less effective than how he currently has us playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

No but I make great Lasagna.;)

Ah lasagne. The difference between the hallowed champions league and sh1tty Thursday night football.

Wonder where my beloved Arsenal would be.

Jesus Spurs must really hate us.

No
    Its the vibes I get from Moyes though that is the worry.

There does not seem to be any fight in him. He seems to be accepting this is just a bad season and that come the summer we will get few big names and wham next season will be A1.

If he at least was coming out with fighting talk I would say something.

Even if he at least went out and bought a CM or even LB or cover for RB.

Its is just simply not good enough.

No fight, no drive, no passion.

I can accept a bad period if Moyes and his team were giving 100%. I'd be frustrated but I would accept it. I cant accept whats going on at the minute.

Once he is the manager he will get my full backing and support, but he will also get my anger when things are going tits up like they are now.

I have this feeling that once April comes and we wont be playing CL football next season he wont even feel a bit of annoyance or anger at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Quandary wrote: »

Our poor centre midfield is just killing any chance the team has of playing as a a tight unit. The ineptitude of our wingers just compounds the problem.

If Moyes had the balls to abandon the 2 traditional wingers and go with RVPup top with a flexible 3 behind him we might see improvement. It might take a while to implement but it honestly couldn't be less effective than how he currently has us playing.

But again it's down to the midfield, at least now the wingers are 'out options' for the defence, they can play a long ball and Mata or who ever can take it down. If Moyes changes to the 3 compact behind RVP it will take away this option and rely solely on the midfield to supply them which our midfield aren't competent enough to do.

I agree 3 behind the striker is the way to go but in the absence of a world class midfielder (and better fullbacks) it could well and truly be disastrous, even worse than it is now which is really unimaginable.

That's why I'm waiting for Moyes to build a team he is happy with over the summer and then if it is still the same as it is now well he will have to be sacked, but I think in the end Moyes will be a success.

No
    gosplan wrote: »
    Ah lasagne. The difference between the hallowed champions league and sh1tty Thursday night football.

Wonder where my beloved Arsenal would be.

Jesus Spurs must really hate us.

Good win for ye today. Was expected, but Arsenal in the past would have struggled to win after dropping points against Southampton. The media and football overacted a little to the dropped points by ye the other night. Every team is going drop points from now till May

No
    Quandary wrote: »

This.

If only Moyes had some balls though. Valencia will start next week against Fulham. I would put my house on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

No
    So who do you guys want to win the league?

For me it's a no-brainer and Arsenal, just cannot stand the 3 alternatives

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    scudzilla wrote: »

Man United!

No

Well I dont want to give up yet.:o

But ya Arsenal. Although I wont be jumping up and down about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Somebody in work told me Chelsea,you can guess my answer,Arsenal would be the least loathesome of the 3.

Would anyone sacrifice European football altogether if we don't make the ECL in order for us to rebuild properly,avoid an early start to a campaign & Thursday night matches?

No
    Man United!
    Well I dont want to give up yet.:o

But ya Arsenal. Although I wont be jumping up and down about it.

Yeah, i should have made that one clearer, who apart from us!!

No
    But again it's down to the midfield, at least now the wingers are 'out options' for the defence, they can play a long ball and Mata or who ever can take it down. If Moyes changes to the 3 compact behind RVP it will take away this option and rely solely on the midfield to supply them which our midfield aren't competent enough to do.

I agree 3 behind the striker is the way to go but in the absence of a world class midfielder (and better fullbacks) it could well and truly be disastrous, even worse than it is now which is really unimaginable.

That's why I'm waiting for Moyes to build a team he is happy with over the summer and then if it is still the same as it is now well he will have to be sacked, but I think in the end Moyes will be a success.

I see what you're saying.

Another option would be maybe more of a 4-3-3 with Carrick, fletcher and Fellaini in front of the back 4. RVP up top on his own, being supplied by Mata and Rooney. We would be very narrow and would still need strong performances from the fullbacks. Rafael would manage but Evra could be disastrous.

I'd like Moyes to try something to mix it up a bit though. It's like he's terrified to abandon out and out wingers.

No
    zerks wrote: »
    Somebody in work told me Chelsea,you can guess my answer,Arsenal would be the least loathesome of the 3.

Would anyone sacrifice European football altogether if we don't make the ECL in order for us to rebuild properly,avoid an early start to a campaign & Thursday night matches?

Ya I dont want Europa league. I hate saying that though. We should be looking to finish as high as we can.

I want United to win every match, but deep down I just think it be hindrance.

No
    zerks wrote: »

If we could be sure Moyes would pick the kids/reserves/etc for Europa Games then i'd be all for going in it, but he's dafter than a box of farts so would prob try and play strongest team, fcuking up our league campaign

No
    Yeah, i should have made that one clearer, who apart from us!!

tbf even the most optimistic fan knows our game is up as much as we hate saying it.

We have very little chance of getting top 4. Never thought I be saying that at start of February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

I'd genuinely want the club to withdraw from the Europa League if we wound up in it next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    Yesterday we had this:
    Ok apologies for the lazy glory hunter response
    I know the glory hunter response was lazy and uncalled

But then today we are right back to this crap
    Exactly, but don't call the glory hunters, they don't like it
    2nv7bfa.jpg

:rolleyes: What a piece of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    Yesterday we had this:

But then today we are right back to this crap

:rolleyes: What a piece of work.

Thats why iv said he's a great addition to the sf....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

This.

If only Moyes had some balls though. Valencia will start next week against Fulham. I would put my house on it.

the issue with next weeks game is we have to take into account that 3 days later we are playing arsenal.

CM aside we have had 2 major problems this year. lack of taking the chances we are creating up front(or simply creating better chance) and not being able to name our best defence in a good consecutive run of games.

thought for sure 4th was gone after yesterday but west brom did us a big favour today. we need the lot of them to get their act together now

No
    tbf even the most optimistic fan knows our game is up as much as we hate saying it.

We have very little chance of getting top 4. Never thought I be saying that at start of February.

If Fellaini comes back and starts playing like he is capable of
    If Carrick finds form again
    If Evra takes his head out of his arse and actually puts in a shift
    If Moyes drops Valencia and only plays him when we there is absolutely no other option
    If Moyes realises his antiquated tactics and game plans are not working and can somehow adapt a more modern approach.

IF a combination of most or all of the above happen then we have a good chance IMO.

It's some amount of IFs though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Evra's three months from quitting time. I can't see any improvement in attitude there. Physically he's well down from what he was anyway.

No
    magnumbud wrote: »
    the issue with next weeks game is we have to take into account that 3 days later we are playing arsenal.

CM aside we have had 2 major problems this year. lack of taking the chances we are creating up front(or simply creating better chance) and not being able to name our best defence in a good consecutive run of games.

thought for sure 4th was gone after yesterday but west brom did us a big favour today. we need the lot of them to get their act together now

TBH though Liverpool gained a point on us this weekend. Everton3 if you consider them in the run.

We are pretty much 8 points behind Liverpool as they have better GD.

Unless they collapse I cannot see us getting 4th, because I cannot see us going on any sort of run to catch them.

They will have to come back to us, not us catching up with them if that makes sense. Thats how I feel anyway.

I hate being negative about the whole thing, but yesterday was knockout punch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Pogba having a stroll against Inter and bossing the midfield along with Pirlo and Vidal. It's enough to you cry to think they built that midfield for less than 10M.

But thats the way of the EPL these days isn't it? (Warning I'm going to generalise now) Other clubs in Europe spot talent. EPL clubs idea of spotting talent is looking at someone like Reus (just an example) and declare him a talent when really he was a big deal (for that league) what - 3, 4 years ago?
    Once they spotted talent they expect they can bully with their financial muscle (fee & wages) and expect everybody's dream is to play in the EPL and thats just the way it is.
    Vidal was almost considered deadwood in Leverkusen and even myself I didn't think he was going to develop into what he is now. But then Leverkusen played him as a winger. Sometimes it takes a little extra to see something in someone.
    Look at Tarabt now. He's going to Milan now and everybody's saying lol. Wouldn't be one bit surprised if he had a stormer there and some EPL club bought him for 30m+ in a year or 2. (Edit: Sorry forgot he's only on loan)
    Maybe the idea of having an 'academy' and an incredible war chest (by other countries standards) isn't good enough. Maybe the EPL clubs are a bit complacent like that and need to up their game a bit.
    When I listen to deadline day its almost like witnessing very rich people playing football manager. But there's more to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Anyone think signing Cabaye would have gone a long way towards solving your cm woes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Well that was a hell of a time to get a two week "vacation" from the thread. We signed Mata and lost to Stoke. Its not been an easy season at all has it.

Between the way Moyes has the team playing and injuries we have had some horrid luck. Two CB's getting injured, a deflected goal, a wonder strike from Charlie Adam and that wonder save from Rooneys free kick and the shocking miss on the rebound from Cleverly.

When DDG spilled that shot in the 120th minute against Sunderland after them not having a shot on target all match and DDG being great all season, well I honestly started to believe Moyes is cursed and thusly his first season at UTD.

I lurked a bit but did I miss anything else? Deadline day was a bit dull. I was suprised we didn't go back in from Coentrao but Madrid never bought a LB and will not sell him without having cover for Marcello.

On the plus side there is a story about that Draxlers move to Arsenal fell through because Bayern came in and told them they will buy him in the summer.

My view. Based on my information. Bayern Munich managed to stop the Draxler-deal by saying "we take him in the summer".

https://twitter.com/JanAageFjortoft/status/429625674580910080

Fjortoft has got lots of inside links in the German league plus media and is good friends with Arsenal players. If he is reliable it could be assumed that Bayern are lining Draxler up to replace Kross. They both play in the hole. Bayern obviously don't want to meet his wage demands. It would be awesome if we got him.

Well that was a hell of a time to get a two week "vacation" from the thread. We signed Mata and lost to Stoke. Its not been an easy season at all has it.

Between the way Moyes has the team playing and injuries we have had some horrid luck. Two CB's getting injured, a deflected goal, a wonder strike from Charlie Adam and that wonder save from Rooneys free kick and the shocking miss on the rebound from Cleverly.

When DDG spilled that shot in the 120th minute against Sunderland after them not having a shot on target all match and DDG being great all season, well I honestly started to believe Moyes is cursed and thusly his first season at UTD.

I lurked a bit but did I miss anything else? Deadline day was a bit dull. I was suprised we didn't go back in from Coentrao but Madrid never bought a LB and will not sell him without having cover for Marcello.

On the plus side there is a story about that Draxlers move to Arsenal fell through because Bayern came in and told them they will buy him in the summer.

Fjortoft has got lots of inside links in the German league plus media and is good friends with Arsenal players. If he is reliable it could be assumed that Bayern are lining Draxler up to replace Kross. They both play in the hole. Bayern obviously don't want to meet his wage demands. It would be awesome if we got him.

Four number 10s would solve ALL your problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

No

Re: Kroos, I have a awful feeling City will steal him from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Four number 10s would solve ALL your problems.

Kross playes deeper for the national team and thats where I think Moyes will use him. Mata will be a winger unless Rooney is out. Kagawa too but I can see him being in danger of being sold.

Kross playing ten is bonus, actually Fellaini can play there too but both will be DMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

None of us are from Manchester. What's the point of an Irish person supporting an unsuccessful foreign team? How many Crewe Alexandra fans are in Ireland?

This a joke?? A lot of people aren't glory hunters and just support the most successful team of the moment.
    I turned on the tv when I was about 10 years old, stumbled across a sports channel and united were playing Oldham. I knew nothing about either team or not much about football. But that game was the start of it all for me. The players I watched that night play for united got me excited and I wanted to see more of them. They could have been a 3rd division team for all I knew.
    I have plenty of mates who follow villa purely because of Paul McGrath.
    I think the people who are finding it most difficult to support the club right now are the ones who started supporting the club for the wrong reasons

Don't despair, the season isn't over yet. It looks like Moyes has left to take charge of the Denver Broncos. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

No
    Last summer 2 very gettable central midfield targets strootman and Gustavo should have been signed , they were signed by Roma and Wolfsburg for quite modest money and they would both walk into our team at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Apparently Welbeck only completed 4 passes yesterday and one of them was from a kick off

And RVP completed only 7 passes playing 78 mins and 2 of them from kick off.

For a player of his ability he needs to lot better than what his performances level.

Giggsy11 wrote: »

For a player of his ability he needs to lot better than what his performances level.
    I only saw the game on Football First and as bad as United looked I thought they were forward more than that. Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    Giggsy11 wrote: »

I didn't see that stat! Suppose they can't pass the ball if they barely get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Devil08 wrote: »
    This a joke?? A lot of people aren't glory hunters and just support the most successful team of the moment.
    I turned on the tv when I was about 10 years old, stumbled across a sports channel and united were playing Oldham. I knew nothing about either team or not much about football. But that game was the start of it all for me. The players I watched that night play for united got me excited and I wanted to see more of them. They could have been a 3rd division team for all I knew.
    I have plenty of mates who follow villa purely because of Paul McGrath.
    I think the people who are finding it most difficult to support the club right now are the ones who started supporting the club for the wrong reasons

They were probably on TV that day because they were successful :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

No
    Anyone think signing Cabaye would have gone a long way towards solving your cm woes?

Absolutely! He went for what, 19m?

I don't like him too much, but I would have been delighted had he signed.

Fellaini / Cabaye in midfield, lovely stuff so it is.

Danger781 wrote: »
    Absolutely! He went for what, 19m?

I don't like him too much, but I would have been delighted had he signed.

Fellaini / Cabaye in midfield, lovely stuff so it is.

Yeah, apparently Moyes didn't rate him. I thought he was one of the best passers of the ball in the league, the man has some vision. Just what ye need now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    Yeah, apparently Moyes didn't rate him. I thought he was one of the best passers of the ball in the league, the man has some vision. Just what ye need now.

Moyes doesnt rate cabaye... makes sense when he can throw grandad giggs in midfield...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

symbolic wrote: »
    They were probably on TV that day because they were successful :-)

I'm not sure of Devil08's age but...

Untied played Oldham in the league twice in 91/92 wpm both matches but didn't win the league.

In 92/93 the played them twice again won 1 lost 1, at the end of the season they won their first league title in 26 years.

In the following season the played them twice in the league and won both, the won the league again,the first time the won 2 in row since the 50's

the also played them in the FA cup semi final, Oldham took them to replay and UTD ended up winning the cup (after a gap of 4 years , the last time United won the cup the same think happened Oldham in the semi final and it went to a replay)

:D :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    Moyes doesnt rate cabaye... makes sense when he can throw grandad giggs in midfield...

He also didnt rate Strootman :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement