Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

How many times did we hear this almost to the letter about Kagawa? Are we doomed to make the same mistakes again and again?

It's terrible watching the likes of Mata & Kagawa moving & finding space only to be stifled by the rest of the players around them playing as if they are extras from The Walking Dead.At times it looks like certain players are told to play within a certain space on the field and not to move outside of it or show any initiative.
    Put Mata or Kagawa into our teams of old and they'd run riot,it's as if player movement is frowned upon in our team these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I've felt Arsenal's league position has been above their level for a while now. Obviously we'll find out over the next couple of months. But anyway, Arsenal have 1 win in 10 against United. Arsenal have already lost to them this season and are coming off a 5-1 defeat. I just don't fancy Arsenal at all.

1 win in ten against the old united. United hardly coming off an inspiring result either. I would be amazed if we beat arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No
    Red Crow wrote: »
    What the hell is Moyes supposed to do when the players keep failing on the pitch? Lot's of poor performances out there today and we have been useless at the back this season. Again we conceded early and the pressure was on us yet again. The defence has been a shambles this year.

Moyes is only part of the problem. The whole team, players and management, need to turn it around. Bringing in a new manager now would be madness.

Motivate the players properly and use appropriate tactics to get the most out of them. That is essentially the manager's job.

It's clear he's doing neither. He's a nice man but out of his depth here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

No
    Moyes's celebration really reminds me of Hodgson at Liverpool saying a win over Bolton was something historic or whatever bollocks he would spout.

Small time man at a big time club, totally out of his depth.

Long may it continue. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

No
    Guus Hiddink and AvB both currently available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Fanny Brioscaí

I have a feeling the Glazers will call a meeting soon enough and discuss Moyes. Ferguson is on the board but he doesn't own the club, if the board feel Moyes has to go he will be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No
    I think you're being very harsh and there's a lot of confirmation bias when people listen to him, attributing meaning when it isn't there.

He has been generally excellent, just doesn't seem to want to call out his brother.
    I don't know what percentage of Sky's games are United but I'd say it's far too high a percentage of them to employ a man who cannot call it like it is when that team are playing.

As I said, he understands the game very well (no better than Carragher mind you) but his constant promotion of everything British and an inability to call a Man United game objectively means he should be turfed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Looks like Fergie is as good a judge of managers as he is midfielders. I'd be delighted if we got stuffed 8-2 by Arsenal if it got Moyes sacked on thursday morning.

1 win in ten against the old united. United hardly coming off an inspiring result either. I would be amazed if we beat arsenal.
    I'd back United to win before I'd back Arsenal to win. Not that I'd necessarily back either. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

We have to be careful about leaving it too late though. Apparently when a manager comes in early in the summer thats too late to make signings, because he needs months to evaluate the squad or something like that.

I hear a certain Mr Trappatoni is available:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No
    Quaint wrote: »
    I have a feeling the Glazers will call a meeting soon enough and discuss Moyes. Ferguson is on the board but he doesn't own the club, if the board feel Moyes has to go he will be gone.

They should have felt it by now. If any of us failed like that in our jobs we'd be queueing at hatch 11 tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Neither are inspiring imo.

Maybe Hiddink in the interim but not long term.

Can't think of anyone I'd want that would actually come here. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

No
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    I've been very adamant that Moyes should be given a chance but after today, I'm now adamant that he has to go.

Do I trust him to get the tactics right for the rest of the season? No

Do I think he will change his tactics? No

Do I trust him to rebuild the club with 100-200 million? Spend 37 million on Mata only to play him on the right against the worst team in the league? Absolutely no.

He is a deer in the headlights. He hasn't a clue what to do.

As a business, I hope we make the correct business decision and get rid of him.

It is absolutely the right decision to sack him imo.

I can't understand any type of justification for keeping him on.

'We give our managers time' - ok you've proved that, well done. But there's a limit and Moyes has gone far past it.

I can not fathom what would make any United fan want to hang on to him, beyond a deluded stubborn optimism that all will turn out good and they will be proved right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No

AVB isnt the answer at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No

Avb couldn't hack it at spurs, why would we replace like for like

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    Morzadec wrote: »

I can not fathom what would make any United fan want to hang on to him, beyond a deluded stubborn optimism that all will turn out good and they will be proved right

THIS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I think the players have once again let themselves down but Moyes showed today that tactically and motivationally he can't turn a difficult game around. That's the nail in coffin as far as I'm concerned. I finally have to admit that he has not shown any qualities that would give any indication that he will succeed as our manager. The players don't seem to overly respect him and he has shown little promise with his tactical choices, line ups and substitution. His signings have only been OK and any changes to training have not seemed to reap any benefits so far.

So if results aren't going his way he has nothing to back him up. If he gets the sack he can feel hard done by due to bad luck or injuries or poor performances, but he can't say that he is blameless. I will be sorry to see him fail but the club is more important.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    AVB isnt the answer at all.

Definitely not the answer. We need a manager who will have the players, the team playing exciting football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Pat Fenlon is available. :p

Hiddink would be good. Anybody. Trap, Barry Fry, anybody!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Another week, another terrible result.
    Champions League qualification is now dead in the water as it has been for a while.
    The most worrying thing is without it, what quality player will come to Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I imagine it'll be hard for Utd fans to watch Liverpool fans cheering for them in midweek... i'm in complete shock at how bad Moyes has this team performing. I never really rated him but this squad won the league last year!!! I knew Fergie was a genius but apparently he's the legitimate second coming of Jesus!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    Make my season so hear he was sacked tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

CSF wrote: »
    I don't know what percentage of Sky's games are United but I'd say it's far too high a percentage of them to employ a man who cannot call it like it is when that team are playing.

As I said, he understands the game very well (no better than Carragher mind you) but his constant promotion of everything British and an inability to call a Man United game objectively means he should be turfed out.

Carragher still calls Liverpool 'we' and says he's happy when United lose. They all have their biases. The first time I've seen it as a problem for Neville is recently. Anyway, this isn't the thread for it so I'll leave it therw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    On the bright side the goal difference is solid enough to fend off Newcastle and Southampton for 7th. Not even kidding, that's where it's at for the rest of the season. 3 way scrap for 7th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Michael Laudrup is available....at least he'd get utd playing something approximating passing football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Most frustrating crap ive watched in my life. RVP must feel like retiring having to put up with those tactics. Mata would be better of on the Chelsea bench playing for the Utd team. I really wanted Moyes to do well and have been "a give him till the end of the season" person but now I want rid.

Avb couldn't hack it at spurs, why would we replace like for like

Agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I'm pretty sure those crossing stats means that barring 2 defensive errors United players did exactly what was asked of them.

If United approach that game differently they blitz Fulham.

I'm not sure about that. Fulham set up today to keep 10 men behind the ball and keep us out wide. We still got crosses in but they weren't good ones. If the defence doesn't concede we win that game.
    No.

You are wrong.

If we sack him now then we set a dangerous precedent. What, just what if it's the players that are just playing shít?
    Blatter wrote: »
    Motivate the players properly and use appropriate tactics to get the most out of them. That is essentially the manager's job.

It's clear he's doing neither. He's a nice man but he's out of his depth here.

How do you know he's not motivating them? What tactics were appropriate today? The execution was terrible today. A lot of these players were clearly living in a bubble with Ferguson.

Carrick and van Persie aren't as good as they were last season. That is fcuking huge as, bar Real Madrid, we were absolutely a steaming pile of shíte to watch last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Asbury Park

No

Hiddink as an intermin manager to steady the ship maybe. AvB's man management skills are said to be horrendous and his tactics have shown to be off too. Not a top 4 manager, which is what we should aspire too. Says it all when I have to type 'aspire to' a top 4 manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

No
    Same old predictable rubbish again. We look our most dangerous when we throw the tactics out the window and just go for it late on and that says it all really.

We need a new manager and we need him now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Moyes out tonight.

Gigs, hiding, whoever in for last 14 games.

Throw money at Klopp to come in whenever he wants.

No
    Carragher still calls Liverpool 'we' and says he's happy when United lose. They all have their biases. The first time I've seen it as a problem for Neville is recently. Anyway, this isn't the thread for it so I'll leave it therw.
    Neville can support United all he wants and get audibly happy when they score, as long as he calls things as they are.

He doesn't.

No
    Michael Laudrup is available....at least he'd get utd playing something approximating passing football.

I'd agree with laudrup if he was signed on a temp contract until the end of the season, if he improved us significantly he'd get a permanent contract.

A couple mroe of the top of my head Brian Kerr, Dave O'Leary:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Absolutely ridiculous some of the nonsense spouted in this thread....he should and will be given time. Otherwise we end up like Liverpool for the last 2 decades. The same people on here calling for his head are the same that roll their eyes when other clubs have sacked their managers after 6 months.

No
    billyhead wrote: »
    A couple mroe of the top of my head Brian Kerr, Dave O'Leary:pac::pac:

Steve Staunton :pac:

No
    portcrap wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous some of the nonsense spouted in this thread....he should and will be given time. Otherwise we end up like Liverpool for the last 2 decades. The same people on here calling for his head are the same that roll their eyes when other clubs have sacked their managers after 6 months.
    It's you spouting ridiculous nonsense unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Its almost like we wont finish 4th so let's make sure we dont finish in the Europa League places..how can we not beat Fulham at home? How can we conceed 2 goals at home to a team that hasnt scored in 4 games? Has lost 17 games this year?

Chris Smalling & Rafael should never play for United again, both Championship players at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Red Crow wrote: »
    I'm not sure about that. Fulham set up today to keep 10 men behind the ball and keep us out wide. We still got crosses in but they weren't good ones. If the defence doesn't concede we win that game.

If we sack him now then we set a dangerous precedent. What, just what if it's the players that are just playing shít?

How do you know he's not motivating them? What tactics were appropriate today? The execution was terrible today. A lot of these players were clearly living in a bubble with Ferguson.

Carrick and van Persie aren't as good as they were last season. That is fcuking huge as, bar Real Madrid, we were absolutely a steaming pile of shíte to watch last year too.

The players are playing **** because of the tactics.

RVP is not involved in games like he should. Neither is Mata. We depend more on Evra and Young. Does that not say it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Just seen this on twitter,

United have won 3, drawn one & lost 5 of their first 9 matches in 2014, including two cup exits. Spurs & Chelsea only top-half opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

No

Joe Kinnear is free.......

I'd agree with laudrup if he was signed on a temp contract until the end of the season, if he improved us significantly he'd get a permanent contract.

ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No
    portcrap wrote: »

Champions last season. Mid table this season. Manager has shown signs of being in over his head, and no signs at all of progression. What will more time do? It will send us plummeting that's what it will do.

The only ridiculous thing so far is what you have just written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Is Gary Monk available in the summer?

Joking aside Utd need to send Woodward out to Dortmund or Madrid (Athletico) with a vaultload of money and get one Klopp or Simeone.

Jupp Heynckes on the short term.

Steve Staunton :pac:

With Joe Kinnear as his mentor

It's you spouting ridiculous nonsense unfortunately.

what brain wave made you work that out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

The players are playing **** because of the tactics.

RVP is not involved in games like he should. Neither is Mata. We depend more on Evra and Young. Does that not say it all?

A lot of these players were sh1te last year too tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

From the stuff I heard about him,do not want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Get that "Chosen One" banner down too.

Embarrassing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement