Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Get that "Chosen One" banner down too.

Embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No
    CSF wrote: »
    Neville can support United all he wants and get audibly happy when they score, as long as he calls things as they are.

He doesn't.

he does the job sky employ him for.

Here you are, talking about him and Sky. Well done Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Quaint wrote: »
    Jupp Heynckes on the short term.

Doesn't speak English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

No
    Jupp Heynckes on the short term.

doesnt speak english

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

portcrap wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous some of the nonsense spouted in this thread....he should and will be given time. Otherwise we end up like Liverpool for the last 2 decades. The same people on here calling for his head are the same that roll their eyes when other clubs have sacked their managers after 6 months.

It was the wrong decision. Today's tactical game said it all.

Just because we sack a manager does not mean we will do it again.

Surely SAF could come back as interim manager and throw money at Klopp or another manager that looks like he has the ability to get the best outbid the team.

I never agreesd with Moyea being manager but I was determined to give him a chance. He has had his chance. Last straw today. 83 fcuking crosses when we have Mata and Kagawa who could cut them to shreds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Moyes needs a contract extension,hes a great man so he is, has the lads putting lovely crosses into the box what more does a team want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No
    Michael Laudrup with a strong backroom staff on a short-term deal with the option of extending it would be worth a punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Champions last season. Mid table this season. Manager has shown signs of being in over his head, and no signs at all of progression. What will more time do? It will send us plummeting that's what it will do.

The only ridiculous thing so far is what you have just written.

Well I suppose we'll see. He's still going to be here next year whether or you lot like it or not... plastic fans have had it too good for too long. Calling for a managers head after 28 games.....like I said RIDICULOUS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Klopp Simeone and Laudrup are relatively new on the managerial block with some early success. We need someone much more experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Doesn't speak English.

Neither does a lot of our squad.How much of what Fergie & now Moyes do you think they actually understand?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Fanny Brioscaí

Doesn't speak English.
    ician wrote: »
    doesnt speak english

That i didn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Its almost like we wont finish 4th so let's make sure we dont finish in the Europa League places..how can we not beat Fulham at home? How can we conceed 2 goals at home to a team that hasnt scored in 4 games? Has lost 17 games this year?

Chris Smalling & Rafael should never play for United again, both Championship players at best

I don't know why, particularly at RedCafe, Utd fans defend Rafael.

He is an absolute liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

ician wrote: »
    doesnt speak english

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No
    Well I suppose we'll see. He's still going to be here next year whether or you lot like it or not... plastic fans have had it too good for too long. Calling for a managers head after 28 games.....like I said RIDICULOUS!
    Again, it's you being ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Question to United fans..... if Moyes was to go, what do you do with Fergie? He's as big a problem as Moyes right now in the position he's in IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    ridiculous

Care to elaborate?:rolleyes:

zerks wrote: »
    Neither does a lot of our squad.How much of what Fergie & now Moyes do you think they actually understand?

Like who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

No
    Absolutely ridiculous some of the nonsense spouted in this thread....he should and will be given time. Otherwise we end up like Liverpool for the last 2 decades. The same people on here calling for his head are the same that roll their eyes when other clubs have sacked their managers after 6 months.

We are like Liverpool already we are occupying 7th

CSF wrote: »
    Again, it's you being ridiculous.

obviously have nothing of interest to add to back up your comment... not really worth having an opinion is it CSF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

A team predominantly relying on, and stringently sticking to, crossing the ball in this day and age?

With Dublin and Clare the reigning AI champions, and Garth Brooks selling out Croker, we must really be back in the 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

No
    flanzer wrote: »
    Question to United fans..... if Moyes was to go, what do you do with Fergie? He's as big a problem as Moyes right now in the position he's in IMO

I don't buy that at all, any competent manager should have no problem with an ex-manager/board member attending the games. It's just media nonsense making it a bigger deal than it is.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Like who?

Rio:pac:

A team predominantly relying on, and stringently sticking to, crossing the ball in this day and age?

With Dublin and Clare the reigning AI champions, and Garth Brooks selling out Croker, we must really be back in the 90s.

The boom is only around the corner so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

No
    Can i just say boys as an outsider looking in that rafael is the most over hyped united player going, distinctly average and no better than his brother imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No
    Rene Meulensteen says that Manchester United's game plan was 'straightforward'. he said: 'They were getting it wide and getting it in to the box.'"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No

Ah the ol fake fan comment again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Couldn't have said it better myself.

You did say it better if we consider the grammar. :D

(Just being pedantic ician. Don't hate me! :))

No
    Schwiiing wrote: »
    Klopp Simeone and Laudrup are relatively new on the managerial block with some early success. We need someone much more experienced.

I don't see why. You need someone who knows how to win lots of games. The few experienced managers who know how to win lots of games are preoccupied at clubs they wouldn't leave for United.

The last thing United need to do is look past another world class manager because a lesser manager fits the bill more as to what people think the United manager should be like. The boat was already missed with Mourinho. It shouldn't be with Klopp, Simeone or Conte if United were lucky enough to be able to attract them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Rene Meulensteen says that Manchester United's game plan was 'straightforward'. he said: 'They were getting it wide and getting it in to the box.'"

Right Dig at Moyes there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    Shocking stuff. All this is Moyes' fault. He has been doing a terrible job since he came in and these poor results have always been on the cards.

It was amazing how deep Fulham defended. They didn't set up with some clever defensive plan, they were a shambles, they had no proper game plan and they made life easy for United. And yet we still couldn't win, shocking stuff.

People are complaining about how much United crossed it, but I would fancy a team of United's quality to score easily from free crosses when the opposition are sitting on their own goal line. The real issue for me is that Moyes sends out his team to cross and then doesn't put the right players in the right positions to execute. Evra is shít at crossing and yet he was asked to do it all game. Young is right footed and yet he was stuck on the left where, at best, half his crosses were up to standard. There was no right winger and so that left Rafael as the only crosser in the team playing in his best position for crossing - Rafa is not that reliable of a crosser.

So we had 80 crosses and they were mostly shíte. Add to that that Young is back taking the right footed corners instead of Rooney and that's another obvious opportunity missed.

Moyes made things a bit better when he put a left footed good crosser on the left, but then he fúcked it up by replacing Rafael with a full back who can't cross or defend.

Mata was more or less completely unused which is obviously a waste. It's also not clear whether he had a defined role defensively, I think that led to confusion when the team were trying to track back on Fulham's few counter attacks.

It's not Moyes' fault that Vidic and Smalling were lacking games together and were shaky because of it, but it is definitely his fault that Evra is still playing and doing fúck all defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No
    flanzer wrote: »

What exactly has Ferguson done???

Moyes will get into the next season purely because they wont sack him in his first season with Ferguson still at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    what brain wave made you work that out?

Well ,for a start, you said it'd end in 2 decades of brutality. You also compared this situation to Liverpool circa 1992.

The rest of us are living in 2014.

In recent memory, Liverpool FC appointed a manager clearly out of his depth, out of touch with the philosophy of the club, inept, and whilst a very decent man, the wrong choice for that club.

They sacked him. Quick.

Now look at Liverpool. Last time i looked they are in top 4 pushing the top 3 and playing super stuff.

United are not too big or proud to admit to the same mistake. And when they get the right man sorted , a la Brendan Rodgers, then that's when you give the man donkeys years of faith. Because he's showing clear signs he can cut it.

In short,

Woy Out, BR IN
    Moyes Out, X IN

Make sure X is a good call. If they must go for an unproven manager, at least go for someone who has either a) won something or b) track record of playing good football.

So you're looking at the likes of a Laudrup, the likes of a Pochettino.

Or go for proven top class.

What you don't do is go unproven, without a trophy, on a dour Scot with the tactical nouse of a wet Cabbage.

SOS Rene Mulestean and Mike Phelan.

Ah the ol fake fan comment again.

what else do you call it? fans that idolise the manager when everything is going well and turn when things are going badly, surely he deserves a proper shot to get it right

No
    Right Dig at Moyes there.

Maybe, but it's pretty accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

No
    Fergie giving his opinion at the final whistle

what else do you call it? fans that idolise the manager when everything is going well and turn when things are going badly, surely he deserves a proper shot to get it right

He got handed a league winning squad and has put them in 7th. The players clearly dont want to play for him. Look at Everton without him and Utd with him. He hasn't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

No
    SOS Rene Mulestean and Mike Phelan.
    Whats Queiroz up to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No
    The season review DVD will be a hard one to market :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

No
    J. Marston wrote: »
    Get that "Chosen One" banner down too.

Embarrassing.
    The Crossing one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    Raf32 wrote: »
    Can i just say boys as an outsider looking in that rafael is the most over hyped united player going, distinctly average and no better than his brother imo.

He's a good player. He is under performing this season, just like the majority of the squad. The problem is the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No
    Could it be that David Moyes just doesn't suit a team like Man Utd? A team that is expected to win almost every time they play? Could his tactics, and mindset be more suitable to a team whose season highlight is when they beat a man utd or a chelsea?

He hasn't inspired confidence at any turn this season, and that's the very first thing you should look for in a manager of a top club. Well, after experience of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    The season review DVD will be a hard one to market :eek:

It will sell like hot cakes tbh. ABU's will eat it up

How many Everton players have come out and said Martinez is a breath of fresh air and they are enjoying their football and his style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No
    I'm beginning to think Moyes has to go .

I didnt agree with his appointment as he is a very conservative manager and the standard of football he produced for the majority of his time at Everton was primitive route one stuff.

How he is persisting with widemen like Valencia and Young who are bang out of form and are not Man Utd standard on their best days is incomprehensible.

Ferguson left alot of problems behind him when he left the club but I dont think Moyes is either the right man to manage the club or rebuild it .
    Dark days ahead I fear.

No

He's getting a full season. Top 4 had to be a minimum to get a 2nd season. You can't not have any expectations for the first season. Continuity in any job has to be earned. The notion that a manager should be given a number of years regardless of oerformance is absolutely moronic. You sound like a drunk oul fella in the local coming out with that.

Pro. F wrote: »
    It was amazing how deep Fulham defended. They didn't set up with some clever defensive plan, they were a shambles, they had no proper game plan and they made life easy for United. And yet we still couldn't win, shocking stuff.

That can't be overstated IMO. The amount of missed attempts at clearances, corners given away under no pressure and general poor play was massive and United could do nothing with the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Asbury Park

No
    Where are people getting this idea that Michael Laudrup is any kind of solution? After his last game in charge, the 2-0 home defeat to West Ham, he gave the players 2 days off and took himself off to Paris. This is the same guy who left Getafe to find a team that “matched his level” and left Mallorca saying he'd been thinking about doing so for “some time”. Is that the type of committment that a club like Utd require? Is it f..k. Like a lot of people on here, I'm losing patience with Moyes but let's not turn a crisis into a calamity by turning to the likes of Laudrup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No
    Hey Moyes can I as United fan please see Manchester United play FOOTBALL of this kind!

Even Derby can play better football then us I've even seen LOI teams play better stuff then what was served up too the millions of fans watching today.

Well ,for a start, you said it'd end in 2 decades of brutality. You also compared this situation to Liverpool circa 1992.

The rest of us are living in 2014.

In recent memory, Liverpool FC appointed a manager clearly out of his depth, out of touch with the philosophy of the club, inept, and whilst a very decent man, the wrong choice for that club.

They sacked him. Quick.

Now look at Liverpool. Last time i looked they are in top 4 pushing the top 3 and playing super stuff.

United are not too big or proud to admit to the same mistake. And when they get the right man sorted , a la Brendan Rodgers, then that's when you give the man donkeys years of faith. Because he's showing clear signs he can cut it.

In short,

Woy Out, BR IN
    Moyes Out, X IN

Make sure X is a good call. If they must go for an unproven manager, at least go for someone who has either a) won something or b) track record of playing good football.

So you're looking at the likes of a Laudrup, the likes of a Pochettino.

Or go for proven top class.

What you don't do is go unproven, without a trophy, on a dour Scot with the tactical nouse of a wet Cabbage.

The same reasons that fergie felt he was the right choice stands:

he is a steady stabilising factor for club, really important fopr a club in transition like we are

he can get the best of mediocre players

he believes in youth and can blend them into the team

he can drive players to work hard, track back etc.

All of these aspects are still true regardless of the results. If we finish 7th at the end of the season (which we wont) it doesn't change the fact that the club are in transition. Change has to be managed very carefully, knee jerk reactions lead to barren runs of not winning anything. I, like I suspect most fans do, want to see a manager at the helm for at least 8-10 years and not go through the sh1te that liverpool have had for the last 20 odd years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement