Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

I love how United fans think every player in the world wants to play for United. Maybe we enquired about Cabaye but he wasnt intersted? maybe he fancied a big money move home to France?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I only saw the game on Football First and as bad as United looked I thought they were forward more than that. Unreal.

Lumping high balls into the box against Stoke isn't going to result in the likes of RVP etc. getting a lot of touches on the ball.I thought with Val not playing,we'd actually see some quality going into the box,the only time we did was when the ball was played centrally by Mata.
    The mantra of "get it wide & knock it in" must end & soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No
    How much more do we think this is gonna last? What would it take for him to get the chop before the season is over? Of all the stats that annoys me, its the fact not a single team has been beaten comfortably at Old Trafford in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

The best thing that could happen to United is that both young and Valencia get injured and are out for the season. Wouldn't wish it but at least it makes Moyes decision for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    bullvine wrote: »
    How much more do we think this is gonna last? What would it take for him to get the chop before the season is over? Of all the stats that annoys me, its the fact not a single team has been beaten comfortably at Old Trafford in the league.

He still has a lot of support from the likes of the away fans and the Stretford end, when they turn on him it won't be long til he is sacked IMO,I think the earliest he'll be gone if performances continue to be so bad will be sometime late next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

No
    He still has a lot of support from the likes of the away fans and the Stretford end, when they turn on him it won't be long til he is sacked IMO,I think the earliest he'll be gone if performances continue to be so bad will be sometime late next season.

Was watching the game Saturday with a mate who was at Chelsea a few weeks ago - he said a good 3/4 of the crowd were singing Moyes name in the second half when we were 3-0 down. He nearly nutted the bloke next to him by all accounts after getting into a row with him over what exactly Moyes had achieved. I honestly dont get this blind support for Moyes, just because he was Fergies successor. Unfortunately, success over the years has brought with it plenty of bandwagoners who havent got a clue. How far does a team have to fall behind the pack before everyone realises a mistake has been made.

No
    Next fixtures, realistically, this is what we can expect.

Fulham - Home - Win
    Arsenal - Away - Lose
    Palace - Away - Draw
    West Brom - Away - Draw
    Liverpool - Home - Draw
    West Ham - Away - Draw
    City - Home - Lose

Can anyone see anything other than the above pattern?

The best thing that could happen to United is that both young and Valencia get injured and are out for the season. Wouldn't wish it but at least it makes Moyes decision for him.

I cant believe what im reading..hoping players get seriously injured???? Im ashamed the way some United fans are behaving during a really bad period for the team. Were Manchester United, were better than this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Moyes saying the team played well on saturday worried me more than anything. Reminds me of Steve Stauntons era with Rep of Ireland.
    Is he smoking drugs?
    Dont tell me he just doesnt wanna critizise the team, as he quite rightly said the team didnt play well against Sunderland in carling cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Its a shame...after the last game we won, he got a lot of plaudits for coming out and criticizing the way players played. A lot of people commented how great it was to hear him come out and sound like the manager of Man United.

And now we're back to "We played well" and getting frustrated about how he talks about the matches. :(

• Advertisement

Fulham - Home - Win
    Arsenal - Away - Lose
    Palace - Away - Draw
    West Brom - Away - Draw
    Liverpool - Home - Draw
    West Ham - Away - Draw
    City - Home - Lose

18 from 21 required, think we will get 16 from 21

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fulham - Home - Win
    Arsenal - Away - Lose
    Palace - Away - Draw
    West Brom - Away - Draw
    Liverpool - Home - Draw
    West Ham - Away - Draw
    City - Home - Lose

I disagree with quite a number of the above. Remember, Rooney, Van Persie and Mata will have all settled in by the time Liverpool and City come to OT. I can see us taking Liverpool, and I think that if we are on form and have a full squad available to us, we could take a point off City. Palace and WBA will be tough but I do think we can beat West Ham.

The loss to Stoke was not very surprising given their home record against top teams. We also lost both CBs and are only getting Rooney, RVP and Mata back into the team. They will need a few games to get back into the swing of things.

Mata looked really good on Saturday. Fellaini needs to play every game in DM from here on in and let him sink or swim. Clearly Cleverly just wades from side to side anyways. Put Carrick beside him and let the attackers do their thing. On the wings, let Raf do his thing and tell Evra to get the fcuking finger out (Oh Baines, how I would have loved if you had signed last Sumer). Evra is the major weak link there. :(

No
    kstand wrote: »
    Was watching the game Saturday with a mate who was at Chelsea a few weeks ago - he said a good 3/4 of the crowd were singing Moyes name in the second half when we were 3-0 down. He nearly nutted the bloke next to him by all accounts after getting into a row with him over what exactly Moyes had achieved. I honestly dont get this blind support for Moyes, just because he was Fergies successor. Unfortunately, success over the years has brought with it plenty of bandwagoners who havent got a clue. How far does a team have to fall behind the pack before everyone realises a mistake has been made.

I thinks lot of people myself included at giving him until next season to see if things change, however this is not the 1980's and he won't be given as long as Fergie or Atkinson got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I love how United fans think every player in the world wants to play for United. Maybe we enquired about Cabaye but he wasnt intersted? maybe he fancied a big money move home to France?

I think the main issue is why Moyesiola apparently didn't rate him.

No
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    I disagree with quite a number of the above. Remember, Rooney, Van Persie and Mata will have all settled in by the time Liverpool and City come to OT. I can see us taking Liverpool, and I think that if we are on form and have a full squad available to us, we could take a point off City. Palace and WBA will be tough but I do think we can beat West Ham.

The loss to Stoke was not very surprising given their home record against top teams. We also lost both CBs and are only getting Rooney, RVP and Mata back into the team. They will need a few games to get back into the swing of things.

Mata looked really good on Saturday. Fellaini needs to play every game in DM from here on in and let him sink or swim. Clearly Cleverly just wades from side to side anyways. Put Carrick beside him and let the attackers do their thing. On the wings, let Raf do his thing and tell Evra to get the fcuking finger out (Oh Baines, how I would have loved if you had signed last Sumer). Evra is the major weak link there. :(

I really hope you're right but I don't think so. We'll be lucky to get double figures from those fixtures. I'd bite the hand off you for 16 points from the above including a victory over Liverpool but I just can't see it. Liverpool are a better team than United currently, you only need to look at the way they played against City and there destruction of Everton.

How do you know he doesnt? Maybe Newcastle said theres no way were selling hin to another English club? Maybe the player fancied PSG? I admit hes better than Cleverley & Fletcher but hes not world class and Moyes is clearly thinking bigger & better like looking to bring in Kroos, Koke or Vidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No

Fulham - Home - Win
    Arsenal - Away - Lose
    Palace - Away - Draw
    West Brom - Away - Draw
    Liverpool - Home - Draw
    West Ham - Away - Draw
    City - Home - Lose

This would follow the pattern that has defined the season so far, maybe we would turn one of the away draws to Palace,WBA & West Ham into a win. Thats about it.

No
    I thinks lot of people myself included at giving him until next season to see if things change, however this is not the 1980's and he won't be given as long as Fergie or Atkinson got.

Yeah, he deserves a season but failure to qualify for next years CL and a humbling exit out of this years CL should ensure his P45 is handed to him in May.

No
    Yeah, he deserves a season but failure to qualify for next years CL and a humbling exit out of this years CL should ensure his P45 is handed to him in May.

Definitely, 2 seasons without champions league football is not good enough, less money to invest in players who won't want to come to a team not playing in it in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I disagree completely, besides we are still in the champions league and no one knows how we will exit it.

He deserves 3 seasons, otherwise what separates united from the uglyness/fickleness of other clubs who go through a manager a season and never achieve a thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

tossy wrote: »
    I'm not sure of Devil08's age but...

Untied played Oldham in the league twice in 91/92 wpm both matches but didn't win the league.

In 92/93 the played them twice again won 1 lost 1, at the end of the season they won their first league title in 26 years.

In the following season the played them twice in the league and won both, the won the league again,the first time the won 2 in row since the 50's

the also played them in the FA cup semi final, Oldham took them to replay and UTD ended up winning the cup (after a gap of 4 years , the last time United won the cup the same think happened Oldham in the semi final and it went to a replay)

:D :rolleyes:

Haha, that's fair enough. Just a lucky guy then :-)

How do you know he doesnt? Maybe Newcastle said theres no way were selling hin to another English club? Maybe the player fancied PSG? I admit hes better than Cleverley & Fletcher but hes not world class and Moyes is clearly thinking bigger & better like looking to bring in Kroos, Koke or Vidal.

He told me.

Hah, believe me, Mike Ashley would have sold to the highest bidder. Simple as. I think you, like Moyes, underrate Cabaye. He was immense this season, with average players supporting him. I think he will shine at PSG. And, unlike your list of players, he was proven in the PL. Finally, you might find it hard to compete for top players with no CL football next season. I think United missed out.

No
    I disagree completely, besides we are still in the champions league and no one knows how we will exit it.

He deserves 3 seasons, otherwise what separates united from the uglyness/fickleness of other clubs who go through a manager a season and never achieve a thing?

3 years just to prove that the club is different? 3 years of mediocrity - in this day and age you can fall very far down the ladder in 3 years. It is a fickle game now unfortunately, Man United is a global brand and the only thing that drives its monetary success off the pitch is flair and success on it and right now, we are struggling in those departments and as we all know, our manager unlike his predecessor has never won anything or proven anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No

Seems to work for Chelsea and City :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just wondering is it turning into a case ala AVB at Chelsea where the senior players haven't taken to the new man at all and just aren't playing for him?
    Rio publicly criticised Moyes for his methods of team selection,there were rumours of other players being disgruntled behind the scenes.
    We all know players act like spoilt kids and perhaps what's happening at the moment is partly down to that,having to deal with a new coaching staff who aren't the most qualified in the world to coach a team of stars along with some prehistoric tactics isn't helping change their moods or thoughts.
    Out of all Moyes staff,the only one I rate is Chris Woods,Steve Round's cv is hardly glittering,Neville was a solid squad player but hardly an inspiring character.We all laughed at Phelan under Fergie but he also had Rene by his side.
    When I see them all in discussion on the bench I wonder wtf they are on about,between them they still can't come up with a plan B in games seeing as 90% of the time plan A doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    I disagree with quite a number of the above. Remember, Rooney, Van Persie and Mata will have all settled in by the time

So we have gone from "When Rooney and Van Persie return", to "When Rooney and Van Persie settle in".

All season its just been excuses, "When X happens we'll get better!" "Injuries, its all injuries fault!"

You do realise we are going to be sitting in 8th with five games to go and people saying "If Liverpool lose their last five game and Valencia finds his form and we recall Anderson from loan then we can make a push for fourth"!

Its so tiring. We are ****e because we have no midfield and the coaches have underperformed massively. Thats it. And neither of those two problems are going to improve by seasons end so I wouldn't waste your time worrying if Rooney and Mata are going to settle in if I was you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    He told me.

Hah, believe me, Mike Ashley would have sold to the highest bidder. Simple as. I think you, like Moyes, underrate Cabaye. He was immense this season, with average players supporting him. I think he will shine at PSG. And, unlike your list of players, he was proven in the PL. Finally, you might find it hard to compete for top players with no CL football next season. I think United missed out.
    First of all, you have no idea if Moyes rated him or not. Secondly, PSG are not the team you want to be involved in a bidding war with.
    I believe United are after a higher standard of player than Cabaye and he would be merely a squad player next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

No

:confused:

Does he deserve 3 seasons if the next one is the same as this? I would hate stubborness to admit a mistake to be a big downfall, the further the club falls down, the harder it would be to get back up..

I'd give him 1.5 seasons from how it is now, if top class players are purchased in Summer and a big improvement is noticeable start of next season, then he will start to gain my trust.

As of now, he has done little to earn it and I was defending Moyes to friends quite a bit too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

3 years just to prove that the club is different? 3 years of mediocrity - in this day and age you can fall very far down the ladder in 3 years. It is a fickle game now unfortunately, Man United is a global brand and the only thing that drives its monetary success off the pitch is flair and success on it and right now, we are struggling in those departments and as we all know, our manager unlike his predecessor has never won anything or proven anything.

No 3 years to give a guy a fair crack of the whip, you are right on the other points though.

Seems to work for Chelsea and City :confused:

Does it ? City with one solitary league title from a previous manager have won nothing yet with this season,of course they will win something - hopefully just the capitol one :D

• Advertisement

No
    zerks wrote: »
    Just wondering is it turning into a case ala AVB at Chelsea where the senior players haven't taken to the new man at all and just aren't playing for him?
    Rio publicly criticised Moyes for his methods of team selection,there were rumours of other players being disgruntled behind the scenes.
    We all know players act like spoilt kids and perhaps what's happening at the moment is partly down to that,having to deal with a new coaching staff who aren't the most qualified in the world to coach a team of stars along with some prehistoric tactics isn't helping change their moods or thoughts.
    Out of all Moyes staff,the only one I rate is Chris Woods,Steve Round's cv is hardly glittering,Neville was a solid squad player but hardly an inspiring character.We all laughed at Phelan under Fergie but he also had Rene by his side.
    When I see them all in discussion on the bench I wonder wtf they are on about,between them they still can't come up with a plan B in games seeing as 90% of the time plan A doesn't work.

I would say this is about as true as it gets!

First of all, you have no idea if Moyes rated him or not. Secondly, PSG are not the team you want to be involved in a bidding war with.
    I believe United are after a higher standard of player than Cabaye and he would be merely a squad player next season.

Assuming that you sign all these world class players...

No
    Assuming that you sign all these world class players...
    They don't have to be world class to be a higher standard than Cabaye...

They don't have to be world class to be a higher standard than Cabaye...

Hi David.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

jaykay74 wrote: »
    This would follow the pattern that has defined the season so far, maybe we would turn one of the away draws to Palace,WBA & West Ham into a win. Thats about it.

It wouldn't follow the pattern at all though, would it? The pattern has been a 50% win rate, both home and away. The above shows a 14% win rate. That's a very different pattern.

No
    Hi David.
    Another well constructed and thought out response.
    2 in a row, you're on a roll now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

No
    Was really hoping that Moyes would be a smooth transition, but just maybe it was a mistake by Ferguson in trying to appoint a "mini me" as his successor, very often this does not be a success. But I don't think we should do a Chelsea or a City and sack him, i think he will be given time. But he has to use that time, have yet to see him making tactical decisions to change games in mid stream, when its required. Its absurd that we do not have a cover for RF and yet the prioity seemed to be getting in a LF ! We still have not addressed the CM situation, again absolutely absurd ! 4Th spot is looking out of our reach based on our form to date.

Secman

So we have gone from "When Rooney and Van Persie return", to "When Rooney and Van Persie settle in".

All season its just been excuses, "When X happens we'll get better!" "Injuries, its all injuries fault!"

You do realise we are going to be sitting in 8th with five games to go and people saying "If Liverpool lose their last five game and Valencia finds his form and we recall Anderson from loan then we can make a push for fourth"!

Its so tiring. We are ****e because we have no midfield and the coaches have underperformed massively. Thats it. And neither of those two problems are going to improve by seasons end so I wouldn't waste your time worrying if Rooney and Mata are going to settle in if I was you.

Hold on now.

I've never made excuses for our current midfield. However, I do have faith in a combination of Carrick and Fellaini for the rest of the season and I do think it will significantly improve the central midfield area. I presume that, since you say the midfield is not going to improve, you have written of Fellaini aleady? After a handful of games?

Another well constructed and thought out response.
    2 in a row, you're on a roll now.

I fight nonsense, with nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Back from Munich.

I have failed.....

No
    I fight nonsense, with nonsense
    What did I say that was nonsense?
    Cabaye isn't world class?
    I've news for you, he's not.

You seem upset, offended almost, that United didn't think your best player was worth splurging a load of cash on. Weird.

• Advertisement

That isn't what you said. More nonsense.

No
    That isn't what you said. More nonsense.
    Show me the nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

secman wrote: »
    Was really hoping that Moyes would be a smooth transition, but just maybe it was a mistake by Ferguson in trying to appoint a "mini me" as his successor, very often this does not be a success. But I don't think we should do a Chelsea or a City and sack him, i think he will be given time. But he has to use that time, have yet to see him making tactical decisions to change games in mid stream, when its required. Its absurd that we do not have a cover for RF and yet the prioity seemed to be getting in a LF ! We still have not addressed the CM situation, again absolutely absurd ! 4Th spot is looking out of our reach based on our form to date.

Secman

the senior players have not helped at all too. Evra and Rio both seem to have accepted they are gone in the summer so dont seem themselves, carricks form has dipped a great deal from last season(possibly down to injuries) and vidic to an extent doesnt seem to have his full heart in it but is at least trying.

I am not saying he is not at fault for somethings but luck too has abandoned us. dont remember de gea having 1 thing to do up until that deflected goal, i still cant understand why carrick didnt just let it hit him properly rather than swinging a knee at it, but then the team seemed to fall apart and welbeck introduction was disastrous wish we had brought on Januzaj and moved mata inside which was moyes fault.

think the issue with next weekend now is in naming the starting 11 we have to bare in mind that we are playing arsenal 3 days later with arsenal having an extra day to recover.

Cabaye is a really good player.

But he is nowhere near world class, is no way near what we need long term and would be an utter waste of money if he was a shortgap signing.

I'm happy to wait until the summer and sign who we actually need (i.e. Kroos etc).

No

But he is nowhere near world class, is no way near what we need long term and would be an utter waste of money if he was a shortgap signing.

I'm happy to wait until the summer and sign who we actually need (i.e. Kroos etc).
    Pretty much how I feel. Although it's apparently nonsense in the eyes of some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

No

Exactly, and imo Newcastle would not have sold to United for the same price. it would have taken 25m+ and them funds can be better used in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

How do you know that he didn't rate him?

Blanc likes Cabaye and were ready to pay over the odds to sign him. They paid 20 Million for him, so even if we made bid Newcastle have 2 options. Sell him to foreign league or sell him to the team you are fighting in the league. Anyone with sense would prefer option 1, for Newcastle to even consider our bid we have to bid much bigger than PSG and there is no doubt that PSG would have matched it.

Next come wages, apparently he is paid around 150K at PSG. I think it would have put him as our 3rd best paid player behind Rooney and RVP.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    I worry we will be here after the next window going "No, we don't need to sign anyone cause we will get world class players in the January window"....

Show me the nonsense.

Cabaye is not world class, but he is much better than your assessment. Even if he was a squad player, you need squad players like him if you ever hope to compete with your noisy neighbours. Signing Kroos and Vidal won't help you, when your backup midfield is utter dross, which it is.

This idea that big players wont join United if we miss out on top 4 is a joke. Money talks in football, look no furter than Chelsea,Man City,Chelsea & Monaco. These are teams that that werent even close to being top teams before they were bought by billionaires. United have the money to attract big players, we also have a great history and lots of recent success. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world one season out of the Champions League does not destroy the legacy of the club. Players dont sign for a club on the basis of one season, majority look ahead 2 or 3 seasons and see the project. They look at the squad and see Mata,Rooney,Van Persie,De Gea etc & see the potential. They will sign knowing they wont be in the champions league but that they will compete for the league and will be in it again next year. United wont lose its appeal after one bad sesason.

Real Madrid have not reached a Champions League final since 2002. They have won La Liga once in the last 5 years yet they attract the worlds best players because they have the money, the history and players are excited by the potential. They know they could be there 5 years and have 3 different managers but they still want to go there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement