Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No
    9 league defeats this season: "we just didn't get the rub of the green".

Some great characters on this thread tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No
    Liam O wrote: »
    Like I said there are so many passengers in the team right now who need a kick up the hole and more motivation. The likes of Evra, Rio, Vidic among others aren't really showing the hunger that the likes of Jones shows every time he steps onto the field. If the whole team played with his level of motivation then the team wouldn't be in this mess. Let Moyes make the changes to the team before turning on him completely imo. There are a lot of things currently contributing to the team's crapness this season and obviously Moyes is a main one but I feel in the long run the team will gain with him in charge once he gets the players in the Summer and hopefully ships out the main offenders.
    I just don't get the logic that leads you to this conclusion. Almost everything he has brought to the team so far has been terrible. There is very little to suggest that there is a turning point on its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No
    Devil08 wrote: »
    If we had 3 shots all game, no possession and were out played I'd agree it's down to Moyes but we tore Fulham a new one today. Just didn't get the rub of the green. The players need to be more clinical.

The strikers didn't make best use of those 81 crosses. I don't know what more we could have done to win the game as David might say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

sundula wrote: »
    I think Laudrup is over rated but at least he won a trophy, Moyes has nothing.

But..but...Moyes has this years community shield and Div2 title from 1999. That's 2.

Im actually hoping of a hammering from arsenal more chance of moyes going then...

He must know he is in trouble though

That's the spirit! You hope your team is hammered, really?

There's still a lot of points to play for and points will be dropped by all teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Robson99

I would not have been a fan of Moyes been appointed as our manager but when he was I said he would need two years to sort out some of the mess he was left with. In his defense he has signed Fellani and Mata, two of the better players in the Prem over the last couple of years and has identified our weaknesses

However what worries me is that our football is utter muck, pure dog and duck stuff. Cross cleared, cross cleared cross cleared. It doesnt matter what players he brings in [ and we need at least 4] if he doesnt change our style of play we are doomed.

I think he will get till the end of the season but I dont see it changing and he will get his P45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Not good enough for Swansea so must be good enough for one of the worlds top sports teams. Come on be sensible, we need to attract a proven talent.

That's why I mentioned a temp contract until the end of the season, in my hypothetical situation we'd then sign a world class manager, in fact pep would leave Bayern and turn us into a European force for decades to come, I forgot to mention that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Pro. F wrote: »

I'm not looking for a fight but I'm sick of the guff coming from posters who are so happy to jump on the non-senior players when the problem is clearly the manager.

Its clearly a lot of both. Some of the players look to be on vacation already.

Rio, Evra and Vidic are playing their final season for UTD, it looks at times they have stopped already.

The team reminds me of a class of students who were under a strict and short tempered teacher. Now the new teacher is not as intimidating and they are putting their feet up when they can.

As undeniably frustrating as Moyes tactics are do you think he tells players to not even try. Whatever about him telling Evra to bomb forward and cross cross cross do you think he has told him to f*cking stroll around the box in injury time when we are one up. If you see the striker in front of you Paddy, don't bother to tackle him, just walk around.

There have been loads of individual errors all season. Just look at this again, Evra sees Bent. Bent is close to him, Bent is the main danger just look at what he does, or doesn't do should I say. This is shocking.

09-02-2014-GifNumber-138.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    That's the spirit! You hope your team is hammered, really?

There's still a lot of points to play for and points will be dropped by all teams.

Ah rarnes head off with yourself....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    Don't understand fans who want to see us lose. Im unhappy with how Moyes has had the team playing but I would love to see him turn it all around and be a success. Despite any comments I've made about him not being good enough etc, I still want to see him do well and see the team play well. Why would you want the team to lose? It makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Taken time to look back on moments in the match and relax after that today.

Today's game has seriously decimated my outlook, I was going to give Moyes the summer to bring in the players we badly need and hope that he changes the philosophy at the club, Carra said it at halftime "United are a crossing club", it worked for Fergie but it's past it's sell by date and we're seeing the collapse.

There was just no reason to play that way against Fulham today, 82 fcuking crosses. At halftime it was clear it wasn't working, it hasn't worked all season and whether we won a game using it or not was based on a weighted coin toss that was hardly ever in our favour. Moyes' comments tonight were the most worrying, if he's doing the old 'manager not really telling it how is thing he needs to stop, he needs to tell the supporters that this isn't how he wants to play in the future. But it seems like this is the way we are going to play, which is madness. You only need to take a look at Bayern or City or even ,as much as it pains me to say it, Liverpool to see that one dimensional wide play isn't the future of football.

I like Moyes, he's a nice man, he did brilliantly at Everton, but every match it becomes clearer that mid table is his level. Our season is over, we aren't going to get 4th and we're probably better off missing the Europa, there's no point sacking him now, no worthwhile manager would join for 4 months. In May, give him his compensation and wish him good luck for the rest of his career. Throw 10m a year at Klopp and a blank chequebook, the United project will hopefully appeal to him, a chance to match the big boys with the setup and backing he deserves.

I wanted Moyes to succeed, but it just seems like it isn't meant to be. He has nothing to lose now, he's going to be sacked so he should try something new for the remaining games at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    Fair enough Pro F. You're one of the best posters on boards. Tactically top 3.

Now Im not going to go into too much detail, but RVP has already made a difference. 3 goals in 3 games. We would be worse off(hard to believe possible) if he was not around.

Carrick has been poor enough seems he came back. I cant predict the future, but a Carrick of last season would made a difference.

The difference though is I never said they were going to Fix things, but they would make a difference to put poor performances less poor.

To say we have not missed RVP now would be poor call imo. He been anonymous and still got goals.

But I said the other day that Moyes is about 70% to blame in this.

I can blame Welbeck, Clev or Chico all I like we still be behind Liverpool even with the big guns coming back, but at same time we would not be 9 points behind Liverpool either.

We would easily have gotten 3-6 points extra.

Without Carrick and RVP goal we have lost today. Even though it feels like defeat anyway.

Small things but they do add up.

Without Chico's goal we would have drawn against Stoke at home. Without Welbeck's goal we would have drawn against Norwich away. Performances haven't improved even slightly. Nothing has significantly improved since the senior players came back.

I know that you are saying Moyes is mostly to blame and I agree that RvP will nick more goals than Chico and Welbeck, but imo you have still been unfairly critical of those players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    KH25 wrote: »
    Don't understand fans who want to see us lose. Im unhappy with how Moyes has had the team playing but I would love to see him turn it all around and be a success. Despite any comments I've made about him not being good enough etc, I still want to see him do well and see the team play well. Why would you want the team to lose? It makes no sense to me.

I want moyes out and if that takes another defeat let it happen he is absolutely brutal his tactics are up his arse...

And when the perm brigade are above us it says it all patgetic year for us...

Moyes out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    I want moyes out and if that takes another defeat let it happen he is absolutely brutal his tactics are up his arse...

Moyes out

I just don't understand that. Whats the point in supporting a team if you selectively choose to hope they lose a game?

On the balance of things, I would like to see a new manager brought in but I still want to see the team win every game. I just think to look at it otherwise defeats the purpose of supporting the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    Devil08 wrote: »
    Yea sack Moyes. Because it's his fault we couldn't score more of our 40 shots, his fault we didn't make more of our 650 passes, 3 times more than fulhams. Incredible bad luck again. If we had 3 shots all game, no possession and were out played I'd agree it's down to Moyes but we tore Fulham a new one today. Just didn't get the rub of the green. The players need to be more clinical. Defending was shocking again.

Slightly deluded no?

40 shots? How many saves was Stekelenburg forced to make? A couple over 90 minutes.

40 shots implied the Fulham goal was peppered relentlessly and a combination of heroic goalkeeping and luck kept them out.

"Shots" statistics are absolutely meaningless in a vacuum. A goal kick that gets caught in the wind - if that sails into the arms of the opposing keeper it's counted as a shot.

40 shots is actually a negative and a sad indictment on the general play - most of them were long-range speculative efforts by frustrated players.

Similarly pass statistics in this game are an irrelevance. Over 200 of those passes were in the defensive half of the field where Fulham didn't press whatsoever. Fulham were happier to give the ball back to United, they were 1-0 up and comfortable in defence.

All those stats are actually overwhelming negatives. For all the possession, for all the passes, the bottom line is this: The message coming from the bench was "shift it out to Tony V to whip it in".

84 crosses does not happen by accident. That's by design and that comes from the manager. What you need in these type of games is a bit of craft from someone who can dribble past a few players, between the lines, and create the space by taking men out of the game. United had that player on the field.....except even Mata was busy shovelling in crosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Taken time to look back on moments in the match and relax after that today.

Today's game has seriously decimated my outlook, I was going to give Moyes the summer to bring in the players we badly need and hope that he changes the philosophy at the club, Carra said it at halftime "United are a crossing club", it worked for Fergie but it's past it's sell by date and we're seeing the collapse.

There was just no reason to play that way against Fulham today, 82 fcuking crosses. At halftime it was clear it wasn't working, it hasn't worked all season and whether we won a game using it or not was based on a weighted coin toss that was hardly ever in our favour. Moyes' comments tonight were the most worrying, if he's doing the old 'manager not really telling it how is thing he needs to stop, he needs to tell the supporters that this isn't how he wants to play in the future. But it seems like this is the way we are going to play, which is madness. You only need to take a look at Bayern or City or even ,as much as it pains me to say it, Liverpool to see that one dimensional wide play isn't the future of football.

I like Moyes, he's a nice man, he did brilliantly at Everton, but every match it becomes clearer that mid table is his level. Our season is over, we aren't going to get 4th and we're probably better off missing the Europa, there's no point sacking him now, no worthwhile manager would join for 4 months. In May, give him his compensation and wish him good luck for the rest of his career. Throw 10m a year at Klopp and a blank chequebook, the United project will hopefully appeal to him, a chance to match the big boys with the setup and backing he deserves.

I wanted Moyes to succeed, but it just seems like it isn't meant to be. He has nothing to lose now, he's going to be sacked so he should try something new for the remaining games at least.
    I bet whatever happens in terms of results/performances David Moyes will be manager of Manchester United on Jan 1st 2015 - like it or not SAF and Charlton will ensure that happens (if it does I think they could step down in protest - a PR disaster of epic/unrivaled proportion in word club football)... of that I have no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Fanny Brioscaí

There have been loads of individual errors all season. Just look at this again, Evra sees Bent. Bent is close to him, Bent is the main danger just look at what he does, or doesn't do should I say. This is shocking.

09-02-2014-GifNumber-138.gif

No way you can blame Evra for this goal imo, he's covering the run of Cole. Between Smalling, Vidic and De Gea they have had enough to deal with the threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

No
    Bebe has mastered free kicks

https://vine.co/v/MWi3JrlmMi7

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    irishfeen wrote: »
    I bet whatever happens in terms of results/performances David Moyes will be manager of Manchester United on Jan 1st 2015 - like it or not SAF and Charlton will ensure that happens (if it does I think they could step down in protest - a PR disaster of epic/unrivaled proportion in word club football)... of that I have no doubt.

Want a bet on that?

• Advertisement

Want a bet on that?
    a pint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Moyes out

Lets get rid of our manager because liverpool are above us, boo hoo , how PATHETIC is that:D

Quaint wrote: »
    No way you can blame Evra for this goal imo, he's covering the run of Cole.

He's not even watching Cole. He is strolling towards Bent, when ddg parries the ball he goes into a sprint for a second then strolls towards Bent.

Cole could have gone anywhere and Evra wouldn't have seen him. He's covering neither player.

No
    a pint?

Don't drink. :P
    If he is manager come Jan 1st 2015, I shall PayPal you a tenner.
    If he gets the sack before then, you send me a tenner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Why would the players bother their hole? They know at least half of them are gone in the summer and there are no medals for finishing fourth. Manager can shout all he wants but you can't motivate someone who has already (mentally) left the club.

He's not even watching Cole. He is strolling towards Bent, when ddg parries the ball he goes into a sprint for a second then strolls towards Bent.

Cole could have gone anywhere and Evra wouldn't have seen him. He's covering neither player.

He saw where Cole was as he strolled back towards the goal. Vidic got attracted to ball when Smalling was already their to make the tackle and clear the danger, something he failed to do. That left Bent free to gain a few yards and compose himself before heading it into goal. That's how i see it. Evra has been shocking but i wouldn't blame him for that goal.

• Advertisement

Don't drink. :P
    If he is manager come Jan 1st 2015, I shall PayPal you a tenner.
    If he gets the sack before then, you send me a tenner?
    Deal :)

No
    ...and bookmarked all the comments :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No

Probably better off without Ferguson and Charlton on the board though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Hope you are right. Why do you think he didn't do more in January? I don't understand it myself. Carrick injury issues, Fellaini still out and missed all if January, Fletcher not proven physically has left midfield even more exposed than under SAF
    I don't doubt he tried, probably a lot of the players he wanted were cup tied and didn't want to settle for run of the mill players who wont get games next season even though I wouldn't necessarily agree with that outlook it makes sense that if there's an agreement with a couple of top players for the summer it'd be a waste to pay silly fees in january. He tried to get Shaw, Coentrao was unlucky not to be a Summer move, not sure what happened there in January but thought he'd be a sure thing to come in, we really are too in the dark about a lot of things to make judgments imo. If it continues in the Summer then I'll be the first to beat the Moyes out drum but no matter how bad it gets I have faith that his dedication will be better in the long run than Mourinho's tactical nous for 3 seasons and then the implosion.
    CSF wrote: »
    I just don't get the logic that leads you to this conclusion. Almost everything he has brought to the team so far has been terrible. There is very little to suggest that there is a turning point on its way.

His dedication to the job is what makes me think he'll turn it around. Putting in serious hours and no matter what he says to the cameras he's not oblivious to what's happening. If he brings in a couple of these players that he's been watching and meeting representatives of then the team will be in it's best shape in a long time personnel wise and then if the tactics haven't changed he'll have no excuses. Right now he's just playing an exaggerated version of Fergie's tactics, nothing like the ones he's shown in the past at Everton. That's the logic, accept it or not, I don't really care.

Quaint wrote: »
    He saw where Cole was as he strolled back towards the goal. Vidic got attracted to ball when Smalling was already their to make the tackle and clear the danger, something he failed to do. That left Bent free to gain a few yards and compose himself before heading it into goal. That's how i see it. Evra has been shocking but i wouldn't blame him for that goal.

I'm not blaming him for the goal or mistakes which led to the goal rather his lack of effort to do anything to help prevent the goal. It all started with a poor header from Vidic and tackle from Carrick but Evra starts to run towards Bent when the ball is in flight only to stop.

There is no urgency from Evra like there is from Vidic, he was right to run towards Bent when the ball was going to drop, Evra needed to contend the ball in the air with Bent. The individual errors came from Vidic and Carrick but Evra looked like he didn't give a toss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

moyes-bingo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    "You could use maybe mental softness that we didn't see the job out and get the job done. I would agree with that."

He called the players mentally soft. The players aren't going to put up with a coward like Moyes saying that about them.

He might be forced out sooner than we think :).

No
    I think he should be sacked dependent on the Arsenal result.

His shambolic record away to the top 4 sides is, well, embarrassing. If he wants there to be any credibility whatsoever in him being the right man to make progress, he has to snap that record. If he wins at the Emirates, there's a case for letting him see the season out.

Lose, and it should become even more transparent he'll never get this right. It already is transparent to me, and a lot of others, but anybody still undecided should be set straight by a defeat in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

No
    zerks wrote: »
    moyes-bingo.jpg

Bingo? that's a drinking game right there

titan18 wrote: »
    Bingo? that's a drinking game right there

Bottom right?!!

I'm not blaming him for the goal or mistakes which led to the goal rather his lack of effort to do anything to help prevent the goal. Its all started with a poor header from Vidic and tackle from Carrick but Evra starts to run towards Bent when the ball is in flight only to stop.

There is no urgency from Evra like there is from Vidic., he was right to run towards Bent when the ball was going to drop, Evra needed to content the ball in the air with Bent. The individual errors came from Vidic and Carrick but Evra looked like he didn't give a toss.

Apologies i read it that Evra was at fault which i pointing out was wrong. I agree, he hasn't looked interested all season. It makes you wonder how close he was to moving to Monaco, Moyes probably stopped that deal when no replacement was brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

J. Marston wrote: »
    He called the players mentally soft. The players aren't going to put up with a coward like Moyes saying that about them.

He might be forced out sooner than we think :).

He should be saying a lot worse about them imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    Im just talking about basic things like passing and controlling the ball. I love Chico and huge fan but he been poor. Moyes or no Moyes. Little game time or no little game time and he has started some amount of games.

Started some amount of games? By my count he has started four league games all season, and has only 105 minutes of league action in 2014?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think he should be sacked dependent on the Arsenal result.

His shambolic record away to the top 4 sides is, well, embarrassing. If he wants there to be any credibility whatsoever in him being the right man to make progress, he has to snap that record. If he wins at the Emirates, there's a case for letting him see the season out.

Lose, and it should become even more transparent he'll never get this right. It already is transparent to me, and a lot of others, but anybody still undecided should be set straight by a defeat in London.

One game doesn't make a difference. We could lose to Arsenal even when we're on title winni g form.

It's the uninspiring performances and subtle as a brick tactics that need to change sharpish.

Funny thing is, I can see an upturn over the next while as we're away for the rest of the month and won't be expected to take the game to our opponents. Crossing actually works when the other team aren't always defending.

No

His dedication to the job is what makes me think he'll turn it around. Putting in serious hours

I'm sorry but that's one of the worst reasons i've ever read.

He gets paid £5 million bloody pounds a year.

The very least someone should do is put in serious hours and be dedicated.

Any of us in here would work our bollox off day and night for £5 million a year to manage a football club.

When people are defending him by singling out him doing the absolute bare minimum basic - work hard - that's a sorry state of affairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

No
    Right now he's just playing an exaggerated version of Fergie's tactics, nothing like the ones he's shown in the past at Everton. That's the logic, accept it or not, I don't really care.

He's not though. Yes Fergie's sides used the wings and crossed but it was mostly on the counter and always done at a high tempo with intensity. What Moyes has them doing is slow and ponderous and allows the opposition to have the box packed in anticipation of the inevitable cross. There is also zero variation, saying it's just a continuation of what Fergie did is woefully unfair on Fergie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No
    So then... predictions for Uniteds final league position? I'm going with 6th. Think we'll catch Everton but stay behind Spurs and Liverpool and the rest obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

No
    #moyesout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Started some amount of games? By my count he has started four league games all season, and has only 105 minutes of league action in 2014?

I did not mean amount in that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    So then... predictions for Uniteds final league position? I'm going with 6th. Think we'll catch Everton but stay behind Spurs and Liverpool and the rest obviously.

7th.

Closer to 8th then 6th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

No
    Why united keep playing the ball to the wings played right into Fulhams hands. They had both of their full backs tucked in. No ball went into van Persie's all through the wing. which is not working especially crossing from deep. carrick i thought played decent.just needs a more dynamic or forward passing player beside him

No
    jaykay74 wrote: »

i'd say 7th. But closer to mid-table than top 6 if that makes sense.

I think United will top the mini-league in Mid-Table due to better goal difference.

So,

7th United
    8th Southampton
    9th Newcastle

With about 6 points to 6th placed team (Spurs) and about 15 ahead of 10th (probably Swansea).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Anyone know much about Joel Veltman from Ajax? Being touted as a United CB target for the summer.

• Advertisement

No
    He might have a slight agenda (maybe a bit of sour grapes over his exit) but it's genuinely hard to argue with it.
    Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen labelled Manchester United's approach as "straightforward" after he guided his side to a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford.

United put 81 crosses into the Fulham penalty area, the most by any team in a Premier League match since 2006, but only 18 of them found a man in red.
    Meulensteen said: "Their game plan was straightforward. They put crosses in from wide angles. We defended it well.

"If you are well-organised, it can be easy to defend against."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement