Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,582 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No
    Doesn't really make any points that haven't been made on here

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

We'll probably finish 8th or 9th but somehow win the Champions League..be that kind of season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No
    CSF wrote: »
    Doesn't really make any points that haven't been made on here

But in a nice, easy to read in one go, package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He's not though. Yes Fergie's sides used the wings and crossed but it was mostly on the counter and always done at a high tempo with intensity. What Moyes has them doing is slow and ponderous and allows the opposition to have the box packed in anticipation of the inevitable cross. There is also zero variation, saying it's just a continuation of what Fergie did is woefully unfair on Fergie.

Ah come on, if you look at last year there was a shítload of crosses that did absolutely nothing. This year the centre of midfield is more impotent which means they get it out to the wings more because there is less of a threat from the middle. Unless Rooney or Mata come deep and inside or Kagawa actually plays the over the top ball to RVP that he loves isn't on because nobody else can pull it off. The players like Cleverly, Jones or whoever are then forced to play it wide due to lack of options because just like with Fergie's tactics the players are so far apart from each other and seemingly unwilling to support each other. They still have a counter attacking mentality with a possession based style and it's so out of sync and has been for some time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    We'll probably finish 8th or 9th but somehow win the Champions League..be that kind of season

Can't beat Fulham but will beat Barca, Real and Bayern :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    zerks wrote: »
    "When I saw Manchester United today I thought the game plan was quite straightforward - get it wide, get it in," Meulensteen told reporters.

"If you're well organised and the goalkeeper is in good positions to come and collect the ball it can be easy [to defend against]. You need a little bit of creativity and a bit of variety at times to open [teams] up.

"It was partly straightforward. We know that we had to be more compact and tight in wide areas because United would cross the ball a lot."

Rene knew what we were going to do before we did.

I think everyone knew what we were going to do. The same predictable crap we have done all season.
    KH25 wrote: »
    Don't understand fans who want to see us lose. Im unhappy with how Moyes has had the team playing but I would love to see him turn it all around and be a success. Despite any comments I've made about him not being good enough etc, I still want to see him do well and see the team play well. Why would you want the team to lose? It makes no sense to me.

It's obvious Moyes is not the man for the job. Better to lose him now than put up with another season or 2 of mediocrity with no improvement in sight. If it means losing more games to secure his faith then so be it. A league of Ireland manager could do more with that team than Moyes is.

No
    But in a nice, easy to read in one go, package.

I lost a lot of respect for the article when it trotted out the Ferguson thing about not winning anything early on. It's a lazy argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Probably better off without Ferguson and Charlton on the board though.
    That is open to question but imo I think they give the club mighty stability (one could argue about being too conservative) which will (even take Moyes who will be given time enough) erase the possibility of panic decisions in favor of what is best for the club in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No
    Schwiiing wrote: »
    Anyone know much about Joel Veltman from Ajax? Being touted as a United CB target for the summer.

Hope he can cross the ball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

• Advertisement

No
    irishfeen wrote: »
    That is open to question but imo I think they give the club mighty stability (one could argue about being too conservative) which will (even take Moyes who will be given time enough) erase the possibility of panic decisions in favor of what is best for the club in the long term.

Which very obviously was Mourinho, even if he himself wasn't there in the long term. The last thing United needed was to stop being winners the minute Fergie walked out the door.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    So then... predictions for Uniteds final league position? I'm going with 6th. Think we'll catch Everton but stay behind Spurs and Liverpool and the rest obviously.
    I think we will end up in 7th - the greatest fall from grace in the history of the PL era.

1. Chelsea
    2. Liverpool
    3. City
    4. Arsenal
    5. Spurs
    6. Everton
    7. Man Utd

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Pro. F wrote: »
    No he hasn't. He has gotten shag all game time and zero service. You are just taking it out on the players because that's the easy thing to do. It's the same with your comments on Welbeck and your idea that Carrick and RvP returning would fix things.

And when he has played he's had to attempt to get his head on woeful crosses while up against 6 foot 5 monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Chico isnt happy on his Instagram, put a picture of himself up with a microphone saying "the time to speak about many things will come".

Ive been naive to believe in Moyes, hes lost the dressing room & needs to go!

Which very obviously was Mourinho, even if he himself wasn't there in the long term. The last thing United needed was to stop being winners the minute Fergie walked out the door.
    Mourinho's carry on at Real Madrid meant he threw away the chance to manage Man Utd, he himself caused that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Out of interest, does anyone portion any of the blame towards Ferguson?

I don't post that question in a trolling way (I'm a Pool fan), but I genuinely feel, from the outside looking in......as if he has left a relatively poor squad for 'insert any manager here' to inherit. The whole back 4 needs replacing. He went all out for RVP and to be fair got the best season of his career out of him, but he was never going to reproduce that again given his age / injury likelihood.

I don't think I need to comment about the midfield he left behind.

I have to admit to feeling a little sorry for Moyes. He took over a squad that imo performed at around 140% of their capacity last season, and also had a spoofer in Mancini in charge at City while Chelsea were sorting out their own issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

No
    Mourinho's carry on at Real Madrid meant he threw away the chance to manage Man Utd, he himself caused that.

fergie threw away the chance to get the best manager out there for the job when he appointed the yoda one.
    the job was made for mourhino,and it would have been alex who?,lets continue to winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Gooner here. If we were to win well on Wednesday night do you think its curtains for Moyes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

United's loss is Chelsea's gain. Doubt me? Look at the table.

bassy wrote: »
    fergie threw away the chance to get the best manager out there for the job when he appointed the yoda one.
    the job was made for mourhino,and it would have been alex who?,lets continue to winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
    IMO this is the moment when Mourinho lost the right to manage United (rightly or wrongly) - That is not a manager of the greatest/most supported team on the planet.

2012_1_14_14_27.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Gooner here. If we were to win well on Wednesday night do you think its curtains for Moyes?

Unfortunately not.

I think we will end up in 7th - the greatest fall from grace in the history of the PL era.

1. Chelsea
    2. Liverpool
    3. City
    4. Arsenal
    5. Spurs
    6. Everton
    7. Man Utd

Joint worst with Blackburn. :pac:

Don't doubt you for one second but would Mourinho have won the league with this United squad? - I very very much doubt that.

1. Chelsea
    2. Liverpool
    3. City
    4. Arsenal
    5. Spurs
    6. Everton
    7. Man Utd

You think Liverpool will finish ahead of City?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Chelsea are a club with no class though. They would hire anyone regardless of their image or reputation. Just look at the scum playing for them, cole and terry et al

Don't doubt you for one second but would Mourinho have won the league with this United squad? - I very very much doubt that.

He would have secured 4th at least I reckon.

No
    Was Moyes really the only alternative to Mourinho? I know they wanted a British manager but at what cost?

Can only hope so.

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Definitely not, things would have to get an awful lot worse for the board to even consider his position IMO.

No
    Haha how much worse can they get? Relegation?

I really don't understand how anybody in their right mind with even the slightest knowledge of football could still support Moyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Devil08 wrote: »
    Chelsea are a club with no class though. They would hire anyone regardless of their image or reputation. Just look at the scum playing for them, cole and terry et al

Is this a joke that's gone over my head?

If not, Giggs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    Definitely not, things would have to get an awful lot worse for the board to even consider his position IMO.

lol

so relegation then?

Unfortunately not.

Ah get over yourselves. Typical glory hunting fcuks who give Utd fans a bad rap. Won't support the club in times of trouble. So many people on here disgust me to be honest, not even a season into Moyes tenure. Get the man a fcukin break

You think Liverpool will finish ahead of City?
    Yep - they are playing some lovely football and have got a rub of the green on a few occasions this season already... on their day they could beat City, Chelsea and Arsenal at Anfield ... it pains me to say that :o

Is this a joke that's gone over my head?

If not, Giggs?

Yea sorry I forgot giggs and his father racially abused half the UK

Headshot wrote: »
    lol

so relegation then?
    Outside the top 4 come Christmas or just after and I think that's game up for the man - I would be shocked if it is before then.... its just not the United way AND Ferguson is on the board.

• Advertisement

Yep - they are playing some lovely football and have got a rub of the green on a few occasions this season already... on their day they could beat City, Chelsea and Arsenal at Anfield ... it pains me to say that :o

Another one trying to lick scouse arses in the hope he can avoid their abuse. Fcuk that.

No
    Outside the top 4 come Christmas or just after and I think that's game up for the man - I would be shocked if it is before then.... its just not the United way AND Ferguson is on the board.

Bollocks. Football has changed a lot in 25 years. It's big business and if poor management is having dire consequences on both results and the business then he needs to be sacked. You can't wait 3-4 years for him to bed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: People need to chill out as of now. I will be going back through this thread and a few others, and if the number of reported posts are anything to go by then a few posters who thought their comments were overlooked can expect cards.

Another one trying to lick scouse arses in the hope he can avoid their abuse. Fcuk that.
    We have enough to worry about ourselves then to give Liverpool or any other PL team a second thought.

No

what pure and utter rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

zerks wrote: »
    Fergie was a proven winner before he took the job,Moyes hasn't won a thing in 11 seasons at Everton.
    €60 million spent so far and we are getting worse,not better.I honestly don't know if another transfer window will cure what's going on.
    I'm not too sure if the players trust Moyes,they are used to having a guy who's won everything at the manager,it's human nature to be suspicious of the new guy in charge.His apparent lack of confidence in what he's doing seems to be affecting the players also,they don't look to be playing to win,just doing enough to try not to lose & doing that badly.

It's his lack of confidence in his players that's the main problem not in himself or what he's trying to do. The players know by his comments and his overly proscriptive tactical straight jacket that he doesn't fancy them and it's destroying self belief and creativity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    People seem to pick and choose what is and isn't the United way.

For instance, it's the United way for OT to be a fortress.
    To push and be super dangerous in up to and especially in the final minutes of the game.
    To be the best of the best.

To be the champions. Or at least challenging.

Moyes is not living up to "The United Way".

Ah get over yourselves. Typical glory hunting fcuks who give Utd fans a bad rap. Won't support the club in times of trouble. So many people on here disgust me to be honest, not even a season into Moyes tenure. Get the man a fcukin break

Moyes hasn't shown anything to persuade me he's the man to take Utd forward. He persisted with his dinosaur tactics today even past halftime when it was blatantly obvious it wasn't gonna work against 6'5 centre backs. So one dimensional. It's clear he can't play attractive football even with Rooney Mata RVP Kagawa Januzaj in the squad. As for the glory hunter comment I wasn't expecting Moyes to steamroll all before him this season but I was expecting something much better than what he has produced so far with a squad that had won the league at a canter last season.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Bollocks. Football has changed a lot in 25 years. It's big business and if poor management is having dire consequences on both results and the business then he needs to be sacked. You can't wait 3-4 years for him to bed in.
    "Bollocks" it might be but that's exactly what's going to happen - United are big enough to cope with being out of the CL for a year or 2 - I do agree any longer would be a massive worry for all upstairs at United but I still think Moyes should be given to Christmas to work things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No
    Could be Frank O Farrell all over again. (We have to go back that far to find a similar situation. We've been lucky)

Headshot wrote: »
    what pure and utter rubbish
    You trying to tell me that's not exactly what is likely to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Looking forward to Wednesday, what's the best way to line up?

I'd hope for a 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 with Mata behind RVP and Rooney as CM.

Unlikely to see it though, Mata probably out wide to allow two of Fletch/Carrick/Clevs/Jones to break up the play. Looking forward to it, hopefully a change of tactics might come from it (maybe!!)

People seem to pick and choose what is and isn't the United way.

For instance, it's the United way for OT to be a fortress.
    To push and be super dangerous in up to and especially in the final minutes of the game.
    To be the best of the best.

To be the champions. Or at least challenging.

Moyes is not living up to "The United Way".
    Well to be fair I was talking about upstairs/board level at United - not on the pitch.

No
    You trying to tell me that's not exactly what is likely to happen?

Your assessment is rubbish

Moyes won't be sacked until his performance starts to threaten the finances of the Glazers unless there is a massive heave from the supporters.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement