Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

irishfeen wrote: »
    Anyone think we have a chance against Arsenal? - I might be slightly mad but I think we could turn them over... its just that type of season.

We've a history of getting a result against Arsenal when the odds are stacked against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If Moyes somehow managed to take 35 points from the remaining 39, but the play still relied heavily on crossing from the wings and there was no significant improvement in style, would people still want him out? Would he get credit for the turnaround or would it be said that the players' form had improved?

Disclaimer: I am not saying there is any chance of this happening, just curious about what the reaction would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Anyone think we have a chance against Arsenal? - I might be slightly mad but I think we could turn them over... its just that type of season.

The more the game gets closer, the more I think we can get something. Draw might be best result. That to us is useless. We really have to win the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭dream brother

http://www.joe.ie/football/what-exactly-did-javier-hernandez-mean-with-this-cryptic-instagram-message/

What does everyone think of this? Is there that much trouble in the dressing room!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Arsenal are just as vunerable as us at the moment. I see it played out like a cup final.
    Yeah I expect the same AND I actually think we will manage to play a bit better :eek: :)

I think it would be absolute madness to expect anything from the Arsenal game given the recent results. Arsenal should be well capable of dismantling United.

United will score, Arsenal will score more.

• http://www.joe.ie/football/what-exactly-did-javier-hernandez-mean-with-this-cryptic-instagram-message/

What does everyone think of this? Is there that much trouble in the dressing room!!
    Think we all know chico wants out, not sure where it's indicating the whole dressing room though??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

The more the game gets closer, the more I think we can get something. Draw might be best result. That to us is useless. We really have to win the game.

It's pretty useless to them too in fairness. If the teams were playing well I'd say it'll be a belter, but I expect a lot of ineffective attack play with some poor defending from both sides, with Arsenal having a lot of the posession. I actually think we can win it, the last few games they've looked about as inventive as us, if not less so.

If I were Moyes i'd just ditch the crossing ****e (which he must be a bit embarrassed about) and just go for it - Rooney, RVP, Mata and Adnan all starting ... what the hell do we have to loose now anyway.

• It's pretty useless to them too in fairness. If the teams were playing well I'd say it'll be a belter, but I expect a lot of ineffective attack play with some poor defending from both sides, with Arsenal having a lot of the posession. I actually think we can win it, the last few games they've looked about as inventive as us, if not less so.
    Liverpool made it clear that Arsenal didn't have a plan B either.

• Advertisement

I think it would be absolute madness to expect anything from the Arsenal game given the recent results. Arsenal should be well capable of dismantling United.

Madness my hole - go out and beat them, we are Manchester United and on our day can imo beat anyone in European football.

• irishfeen wrote: »
    If I were Moyes i'd just ditch the crossing ****e (which he must be a bit embarrassed about) and just go for it - Rooney, RVP, Mata and Adnan all starting ... what the hell do we have to loose now anyway.
    Problem is that this was close to how the team lined out yesterday, I think it will benifit us if Arsenal have more of the ball, at least then we may have to attempt to play some sort of counter attack.

Madness my hole - go out and beat them, we are Manchester United and on our day can imo beat anyone in European football.

Every single week United are ****e. Every single week everyone cries about it. Every single week people suddenly become confident in the run up to a fixture that this one will be different. Every single week they are wrong.

The reason I'm not melting down is because I've accepted it. The fans are going to have to ride this one out, it won't change in 3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

No
    There is no confidence in the team at the moment....... or very little at all.......but we always tend to get a result against the gooners..... draw or win. won't lose................maybe !

Problem is that this was close to how the team lined out yesterday, I think it will benifit us if Arsenal have more of the ball, at least then we may have to attempt to play some sort of counter attack.
    Well now if we could play with our heads and calm the fcuk down and stop crossing the fcuking ball at every opportunity we will cause Arsenal problems,

Every single week United are ****e. Every single week everyone cries about it. Every single week people suddenly become confident in the run up to a fixture that this one will be different. Every single week they are wrong.

The reason I'm not melting down is because I've accepted it. The fans are going to have to ride this one out, it won't change in 3 days.
    Look calling a spade a spade we were fcuking ****e yesterday but we still should have won - My only hope is that this is the low point, for everyone - Manager, players and supporters.... if I were Moyes I would bring every single newspaper printed questioning the United team, tactics, players etc and sit the players down (the whole squad) and talk honestly.

If Moyes is as bad as some on here want to think then fine but even with Moyes if the players themselves can't take control and sort things out with what the world is saying about them then well they don't deserve the right to put on the shirt again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    Well now if we could play with our heads and calm the fcuk down and stop crossing the fcuking ball at every opportunity we will cause Arsenal problems,

But that will go against Moyes's crossing policy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Moyes has never won away against one of the big teams. Don't see why that's going to change Wednesday when we're away to a team who are challenging for the league while our team is completely demoralised with absolutely nothing to play for since they're semi-stranded in 7th.

Another loss coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Jesus Christ what do you expect.

The three week old singing slating his new boss and team mates?

Are you new to the world of football?

Come on now, get a grip. The brand new signing isn't going to slate his new team mates, manager or coach.

Leave that to the frustrated players like Chico, who clearly wants to get something of his chest. Dead set for the door come the summer at this stage.

Are you thick?

Did I say that I think he should slate the team? No. All I said was what he wrote was pointless. Which it is. Everyone knows that he can't slate the team or the manager, Jesus Christ that's obvious. But instead he just writes some drivel about the team being unlucky. POINTLESS.

• Advertisement

But that will go against Moyes's crossing policy :pac:
    Fcuk Moyes policy - do a Paris 2009 (where Irish players defied Traps negativity on their own merit) ....if Moyes wants to continue with that style of play then come together and change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Think we all know chico wants out, not sure where it's indicating the whole dressing room though??

It's Joe.ie, it doesn't have to. They can just make it up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    Open question lads, why has Evra not been dropped before? (and to a similar extent, Valencia?) Fergie didn't do it, and now Moyes seems reluctant also, although he has been benching Valencia a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No

I think Arsenal have a mental problem vs United and I wouldn't be surprised if we got a result.

Look calling a spade a spade we were fcuking ****e yesterday but we still should have won - My only hope is that this is the low point, for everyone - Manager, players and supporters.... if I were Moyes I would bring every single newspaper printed questioning the United team, tactics, players etc and sit the players down (the whole squad) and talk honestly.

If Moyes is as bad as some on here want to think then fine but even with Moyes if the players themselves can't take control and sort things out with what the world is saying about them then well they don't deserve the right to put on the shirt again.

Look I'd like to believe Moyes can turn this around. And part of me still thinks that maybe he can, although that gets harder with every bad result. Either way, it's not going to happen between Saturday and Wednesday.

The Arsenal match is going to make for more tough viewing for United fans, and I think you should be prepared for that. There comes a point where that kind of optimism is only hurting yourself. ;)

KH25 wrote: »
    Open question lads, why has Evra not been dropped before? (and to a similar extent, Valencia?) Fergie didn't do it, and now Moyes seems reluctant also, although he has been benching Valencia a fair bit.
    Seems fairly unexplainable really - I cannot understand it!... the only logical explanation is that he thinks there is no one available to do a better job there.

• Advertisement

No
    Seems fairly unexplainable really - I cannot understand it!... the only logical explanation is that he thinks there is no one available to do a better job there.

I was expecting that answer. Thats probably true but then the question is why wasn't a suitable replacement brought in? Fergie had ample of time to do so as Evra has been on the decline for some time now. Moyes admittedly has had less time but at least appeared to make an effort to address it (Baines last summer, Shaw in January). Its just something I can't understand especially considering how Fergie just cast off some players like Keane Beckham Stam etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

No
    Fcuk Moyes policy - do a Paris 2009 (where Irish players defied Traps negativity on their own merit) ....if Moyes wants to continue with that style of play then come together and change it.

Yeah that's whats needed now for the players totally abandon their managers will and philosophy and do their own thing. Not like half of them are already doing this regarding defending anyway.

It is not the tactics, it is not the crosses it is the lack of courage and application. Patience and persistance. You know?, things previous United teams seemed to have in abundance. The squad lacks any sort of morale and consistancy. This will not be found by abandoning the gameplan in the middle of the game, they need to stick together and play as a team.

It just shows that when you have anything less than 11 players all pulling together in the same direction it is a difficult game. Look at Fulham for that even! Leaking goals left and right but they put up a gutsy display yesterday and got rewarded, if United players had half their application and courage they'd have been out of sight.

Very difficult for players like Evra/Vidic and co to pick up their performances when they are playing at 50% for over half a year!

No
    6/5 on Arsenal is tempting.

No

Don't do it Kew. Have some faith no matter how blind it may be :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Not from an Arsenal perspective it's not.

I fancy a nervy draw in this match. Two teams low on confidence and one with a huge mental block.

Add in that Van Persie has scored against us every time since the move, Rooney is top scorer of either Club in this fixture and Mata always scores and plays well against us in his Chelsea days should give you guys cause for belief.

In our way is that our defence is good. I know that may sound silly after Saturday but that was an aberration. Our centre backs have been excellent all year and I think United may lack the pace that Liverpool and City hurt us with.

In fact I fear Januzaj more than any other player you have because of what he brings.

Had we Walcott or Ramsey I would be more confident but we have no pace and no huge goal threat at present. That's why I am not confident and feel a draw is most likely as we should be able to dominate ye in the middle. Only thing is I said the same before last Saturday too.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    Can't believe the optimism from some of ya's. Fair play to ya's. I'm expecting a comfortable Arsenal win. 4-1 Arsenal.

I just can't even muster up the confidence to predict a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I had a dream (nightmare?) last night that we were after a 48 year old center midfielder from Osasuna, and sold De Gea to Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

GSPfan wrote: »
    Can't believe the optimism from some of ya's. Fair play to ya's. I'm expecting a comfortable Arsenal win. 4-1 Arsenal.

I just can't even muster up the confidence to predict a draw.

We will beat Arsenal and get 4th. I'm yet to admit defeat that the season is over. I may be deluded but sure there you go.

No
    v3ttel wrote: »
    I had a dream (nightmare?) last night that we were after a 48 year old center midfielder from Osasuna, and sold De Gea to Barcelona.

So we didn't even complete the deal? Typical.

No
    bren2001 wrote: »
    We will beat Arsenal and get 4th. I'm yet to admit defeat that the season is over. I may be deluded but sure there you go.

I tip my hat to you good sir. I like the optimism. You balance out my doom and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Some of the criticism is beyond the pale at this stage. The manager celebrates goals too much? Give me a break.

I'm clearly not saying the man shouldn't celebrate his team scoring. He was under pressure, the valve was released but a couple of fist pumps would have sufficed instead of that.

His team had gone 2-1 up, at home, against a team which had been beaten by Sheffield United the week before. There's nearly a quarter of an hour left to go, yet you would swear the final whistle had gone in a World Cup final. The message was 'yessss, we have this game won now!' when the message should have been 'Great, we're in front, well done...now let's keep it tight and we can celebrate the win after we actually achieve it'.

Anyway, if they beat Arsenal on Wednesday he can ware the face off Phil Neville if he wants :pac:

v3ttel wrote: »

You must have woken up feeling like this season is going swimmingly after that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

No
    bren2001 wrote: »

No, we'll lose the rest of our prem games maybe snatch a draw or two but win the Champions League!

Maybe its Moyes plan, throw away the prem and just when Liverpool think they have Champions League football in the bag, their biggest rivals take it from them on a rule that was essentially created for them.

David Moyes "Master Troll"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    MOYES OUT

still feel the same today. Disaster this season terrible football to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    How people can blame Moyes for Evras lack of effort when he was doing this under Fergie is strange. Evra bucked up a little when Buttner scored on his debut only to slip into lazy mode again so the competition excuse is invalid. Moyes tired for Coentrao and Shaw but they didn't happen. Just because Moyes tried to sign other players this gives Evra an excuse to be even lazier and to switch off? Your having a laugh. This is all on Evra, he is letting the fans, the team and his manager down.

He is still getting paid by UTD right now. Regardless of what his future holds he should work hard for us. Can you imagine going to work and doing a crap job for 12 months because you know your off at the end of the year to another job? You'd be fired with no reference before the year is out.

I've said that Evra is a shít defender and lazy. I'm not blaming Moyes for Evra's lack of effort, I'm blaming him for continuing to play a shít and lazy defender. It would have been a very simple management decision to fix the Evra issue before now. Moyes' failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I've said it all season and some of last season, on form Rooney is unplayable, you just put him wherever you can on the pitch, but in general he's a pretty poor number 10 and when he's off form it escalates the problem even further, he just doesn't create.

I'm not sure how long RVP has left at the very top, Rooney should be playing up front next season when fit with Kagawa in behind, Mata and Januzaj either side and proper tactics that let them all move around and wreak havoc on every team we play. Hopefully by then we'll have a proper midfield to pull if off

People saying there's not a chance Klopp will come to us, his team are in 3rd, lost their best player last season and losing one of their best players this summer. Financial backing at a fresh project at one of the biggest clubs in the world surely would be hard to turn down. He's never going to get out of Bayern's shadow in that league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Julez wrote: »
    No, we'll lose the rest of our prem games maybe snatch a draw or two but win the Champions League!

Maybe its Moyes plan, throw away the prem and just when Liverpool think they have Champions League football in the bag, their biggest rivals take it from them on a rule that was essentially created for them.

David Moyes "Master Troll"

Only for it to backfire when Liverpool snatch 3rd on the last day.

No
    Fulham were being pretty resilient and fair play to them, Steklenberg made some terrific saves and their hole team defended compact and in their own box.

Fulham's defence was awful yesterday. They were defending on their own six yard line, even deeper at times. It was worse than school boy stuff from them. You are trying to portray them as some sort of well organised, tough to break down outfit - that is a complete misrepresentation of how bad they were.

It is a joke that Moyes couldn't lead this United team to beating that Fulham team comfortably. Moyes is doing a terrible job.

No
    Liverpool will score at least 4 against Fulham imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

No
    MOYES OUT

still feel the same today. Disaster this season terrible football to watch

Agree.
    Who should club try to get in to replace Moyes / Round etc

No
    Moyes trying to shift the blame onto the players by talking about mental toughness is really boiling my piss. He has done an awful job of managing this team and he is trying to pretend that the issue is with the players.

The more clueless elements of the fan base will lap that up and before long we will have this chancer being allowed to gut a successful team and rebuild it towards his own rubbish vision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pro. F wrote: »
    Fulham's defence was awful yesterday. They were defending on their own six yard line, even deeper at times. It was worse than school boy stuff from them. You are trying to portray them as some sort of well organised, tough to break down outfit - that is a complete misrepresentation of how bad they were.

It is a joke that Moyes couldn't lead this United team to beating that Fulham team comfortably. Moyes is doing a terrible job.

They very clearly had an objective to flood the penalty area. As Rene confirmed, they anticipated United to go wide and cross, and there was at most times a minimum 9 people in the box.

During the week I assume they worked on positioning and reactions defensively to where the ball was being played from.

They purposefully played deep, they purposefully invited United pressure.

They made no attempts to play football, bar three breaks they had, which they scored twice from.

There was clearly a plan there from Fulham and it worked for large parts, them scoring first was dreamland. Don't belittle the tactics and strategy Fulham deployed. It further skewers things when trying to debate the situation that unfolded.

You come across as someone tactically astute and in touch through other posts you make with people, so I take for granted you know the benefits of shifting the ball across the pitch out wide and firing crosses in, along with playing intricate play outside an opponents box. Problem being we didn't vary the play enough.

But really, don't belittle Fulham as much as we expect United to win. Their keeper made some outstanding saves, their defence made some excellent blocks and interceptions. It was a horrendous site to see, but they went with a plan and came away with a point.

Little being said about RVP's cheeky chip attempt. Squares to Chico we are 3-1 up. Finishes it properly we are 3-1 up with two minutes to go.

Agree United should be beating Fulham comfortably, but taking away the fact the squad is low on confidence,

Two defensive blunders,
    Three sitters missed
    Lack of composure and quality in the final third

Play that match ten times we win it 9 times comfortably, once we draw. It was a bizzare and obscure game of football.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Pro. F wrote: »
    Moyes trying to shift the blame onto the players by talking about mental toughness is really boiling my piss. He has done an awful job of managing this team and he is trying to pretend that the issue is with the players.

exactly!

58 league medals between those Man Utd players out there yesterday and he questions the mental toughness.:confused:

the comparisons with Hodgson are remarkable and if it pans out like that did then the end is nigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    Two defensive blunders,
    Three sitters missed
    Lack of composure and quality in the final third

If you go down that road then United should have been 2-0 down after Richardson missed that absolute sitter. And as Neville said, 2-0 down against a side that weren't set up to even try and score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No
    My wife is never wrong, shes not really a United fan or anything but she was horrified last May when they gave him the job. I'll leave this with you..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83361115&postcount=1282

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement