Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

beno619 wrote: »
    Sorry we drew to Fulham, it didnt work if we won 2-1 complaints would be just as bad imo. We needed to score 5 without reply to justify that kind of football.

Like I said in terms of getting goals against a team parking the bus, it worked, which it did, we scored twice and at the 94th minute mark that was enough. Cue brain farts from Vidic and Evra.

Agreed, even 2-1 would have been poor. Maybe with some quality composed crossing we would have had some more and our defense concentrating harder.

Whats done is done and hopefully we won't see it to that level again as other team won't as be ultra defensive as Fulham and there will be gaps to exploit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

More or better crossing was not the answer.

Keeping the ball on the ground and playing to the strengths of three of the best players in the league, would have been the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

18 out of 82 successful.

Says it all really, the quality of the final ball was horrendous. In most cases the players werent even being hard pressed when making the crosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    Rubbish of the highest order. Fulham were set up defensively very well. To ignore how well they defend and waited for the counter is ignorance. People calling them negative and anti football looked just as foolish.

Fulham defended well and countered excellently. They could have had three goals on the counter.

As it being a joke Moyes can't lead them them to a victory, yes its a terrible result but the crossing until we get through worked, it was shocking individual errors that cost us and in the 5th minute of injury time too.

People slated Chelsea after they defeated Barca in the UCL semi final for high defensive and countering football which they claimed lack any skill and tactical know how. Those people were clowns too.

Fulham were not set up defensively well. They were falling back to their own six yard line when the ball was 30-40 yards out. They were falling back to their own goal line when the ball was 20 yards out!

I didn't call Fulham negative or anti-football so what the fúck does what other people called them have to do with my post? And what the does Chelsea parking the bus vs Barca have to do with this?

Also lol at the idea that scoring two goals against a team defending that badly is considered proof of an attacking plan working for United.

Edit: Also lol at you trying to blame the result on defensive errors yet ignoring the fact that Moyes has not managed to replace Evra after two transfer windows and massive funding from the suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No
    Michael Keane 1-0

Nice wee turn and shot from the edge of the box.

No
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Says it all really, the quality of the final ball was horrendous. In most cases the players werent even being hard pressed when making the crosses.

Play Evra, Young on the left, Mata on the right cutting in and replace Rafael with Valencia and you should expect shít crosses. It's simple stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    Pro. F wrote: »
    Fulham were not set up defensively well. They were falling back to their own six yard line when the ball was 30-40 yards out. They were falling back to their own goal line when the ball was 20 yards out!

I didn't call Fulham negative or anti-football so what the fúck does what other people called them have to do with my post? And what the does Chelsea parking the bus vs Barca have to do with this?

Also lol at the idea that scoring two goals against a team defending that badly is considered proof of an attacking plan working for United.

Defending from the 6 yard line is, ordinarily, not being set up defensively well.

However - if you know the opposition will insist on shifting it wide and crossing it to death, then it's absolutely a good defensive set-up. There's no point holding a high line leaving space in behind. Because when they shift it wide it means you're running back towards your own goal to clear the crosses.

I.e. In short, if you defend that deep at least you are facing the play and can see ball and man in your eyeline. Easy to defend against crosses that way. Not so easy when running backwards from a high line.

So i'd disagree. They set up defensively well because they did their homework and knew Moyes is a one-trick-pony obsessed with crossing.

If, and it's a big IF, Moyes had any tactical nouse he'd have told the players to play through the middle. Draw the defenders out of their deep defensive line. All it takes is the likes of Mata to beat a midfielder with a trick or a feint or a drop of shoulder and the likes of Burn and Heitinga would be drawn out of their line , creating space.

If Moyes wasn't so inept , Fulhams setup would have been asking to be demolished.

As it stood, Rene did really well and had them set up perfectly to defend aerial bombardment from wide.

Fulham fell back deep because they had a good height advantage with their CB's and 8 players to join them. How you mention them doing this continually as bad defending when it was an obvious tactic is strange. It was their plan.

I never said you called them anti football, i said those who said that looked as foolish as those thinking Fulham defended badly.

They set to defend and counter. They scored as many on the counter as they couldn't defend. Their game plan worked.

Chlesea were called bad for being Ultra defensive against a superior Barca side. You said Fulham defended bad when they were set ultra defensive to counter attack, the similarity is obvious. If you can't see it I can't help that.

We scored twice against a team that had a set defensive plan, whether it was a good or bad one it still worked, it wasn't pretty or attractive or nice to watch but it worked. We scored twice, there is the proof it worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No
    2-1

Perreia (sp) just smacked a lovely shot in from the corner of the box into the far top corner.. 68 seconds from 1-1 too 2-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If Young and Valencia start on Wednesday I'll be more angry than any time this season. They were embarrassing against City and Chelsea already this season and should never play in the same team again, though I'd be tempted to say never play for the team again altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

No
    I genuinely think that yesterday could have been the most tactically inept performance i've seen by a big team ever. The only thing that even comes close in my mind is Arsenal playing a high line in the Nou Camp four years ago and getting eviscerated by Messi.

We were playing the worst defence in the league and we now have people drawing comparisons from yesterday to what Chelsea did in 2012. Jesus wept.

Edit: Also lol at you trying to blame the result on defensive errors yet ignoring the fact that Moyes has not managed to replace Evra after two transfer windows and massive funding from the suits.

When did I ignore the fact that Evra was not replaced exactly? Show me that post. Won't be easy, it doesn't exist.

I named three players in regards to defensive errors. If Vidic heads the ball clear in the 94th minute and if Carrick wins the ball in MF it doesn't matter what Evra does. If Sidwell was tracked by Rooney the first goal doesn't go in.

If Evra tries to defend or contest the ball with Bent we don't lose. Just because Moyes picks Evra does not absolve Evra of blame, there is nothing stopping Evra from defending.

Vidic is off this summer and we were linked with CB's. Does Vidic not try? No he tried but made mistakes all the same.

Are you going to level its Moyes fault for picking Vidic too?
    Defending from the 6 yard line is, ordinarily, not being set up defensively well.

However - if you know the opposition will insist on shifting it wide and crossing it to death, then it's absolutely a good defensive set-up.

Exactly, Fulham knew exactly what they were doing and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

It wouldn't. All it would take is an unprecedented and miraculous turnaround on United's part. If United won all remaining fixtures they would finish on 80 points and would definitely be in the top 4.

Obviously this isn't going to happen, but your claim is still incorrect. :P

They way this season has gone they wouldn't be far off winning the feckin title! What would make the run-in very interesting is if the following were to happen:

1. United beat Arsenal (not likely), Liverpool beat Fulham (nailed on)

2. United beat Palace (quite possible), Liverpool beat Swansea (very likely)

3. Southampton (h) beat Liverpool (quite possible), United beat West Brom (quite possible)

4. Liverpool beat Sunderland (likely)

5. United beat Liverpool, which would leave us six behind them with a game in hand.

6. Squeaky bum time! (or else my alarm goes off and I wake up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    spiralism wrote: »
    I genuinely think that yesterday could have been the most tactically inept performance i've seen by a big team ever. The only thing that even comes close in my mind is Arsenal playing a high line in the Nou Camp four years ago and getting eviscerated by Messi.

We were playing the worst defence in the league and we now have people drawing comparisons from yesterday to what Chelsea did in 2012. Jesus wept.

To be fair to Arsenal (and Wenger) that was more to do with over-confidence in their own ability than ineptitude. They thought they could go to the Nou Camp and go toe-to-toe with Barca at their own game.

What Moyes did was pure out and out ineptitude. If anything a lack of confidence in himself and the players. Showed no trust to let them get out and play. Shift it wide , shift it wide. Keep whacking crosses over and pray the big giraffe of a centre back who is 11 foot 9 tall wont head them clear like swatting flies!! it's bordering on hilarious it's so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

No
    For all the folk calling for moyes head,you do realise that the yoda one will still be in charge this time next season.
    Fergie will see to that,as he's choice will be given a lot of timeeeeeeeee in the job.

• Advertisement

They way this season has gone they wouldn't be far off winning the feckin title! What would make the run-in very interesting is if the following were to happen:

3. Southampton (h) beat Liverpool (quite possible), United beat West Brom (quite possible)

5. United beat Liverpool, which would leave us six behind them with a game in hand.

We finish 7th and Liverpool finish 4th

Plot twist, Utd win the UCL

That happening would almost make this worth wile just for the lol's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

No
    Zaha just posted a picture of him and Ole on Instagram just now with the caption "Nothing like someone who believes on you.." Can't imagine any of this social media dissent ever happening when ferguson was in charge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    ician wrote: »
    Zaha just posted a picture of him and Ole on Instagram just now with the caption "Nothing like someone who believes on you.." Can't imagine any of this social media dissent ever happening when ferguson was in charge.

Youch.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Your forgetting we have Man City to play.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

They've concede 15 goals from crosses this season

Moyes got this

5-3 United

• Advertisement

Hernandez done something similar last night...I really dont know where Moyes goes from here, its very difficult to get players back onside. Zaha will want out of United on a permanent basis.

Vidic, Rio, Evra, Hernandez, Zaha & Nani will all go this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No

britney-spears-chaotic-worst-decision.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Hernandez done something similar last night...I really dont know where Moyes goes from here, its very difficult to get players back onside. Zaha will want out of United on a permanent basis.

Vidic, Rio, Evra, Hernandez, Zaha & Nani will all go this summer

Seems to be a new name on that list every week.

Seems to be a new name on that list every week.

Ive supported Moyes, defended him for months but ive now realised he has somehow destroyed United in 6 months. Its clear the players dont trust him and dont want to play for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Fanny Brioscaí

The team selection and tactics will be interesting against Arsenal this week. I am looking forward to Moyes tactics to see if he continues with the 'get it out wide and cross'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Ive supported Moyes, defended him for months but he has destroyed United in 6 months. Its clear the players dont trust him and dont want to play for him

Yup, anyone who's played Football Manager extensively understands that scenario. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Not until March 25th

Not until March 25th

Doesnt matter when the game is, we wont be winning it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    From paddy powers facebook page

atw1eq.jpg

Pretty dumb from Zaha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    Really is sickening to see players like Rio, Hernandez and Zaha come out and pull this **** on social media. Rio cares more about his clothing brand than how he actually plays, Zaha came in from a championship team with a big hotshot attitude and expects to start every week and then theres Hernandez, he's leagues behind RVP and Rooney, he should know that. Theres alot to blame Moyes for this season, I'm not his biggest fan. But jesus christ, these players are disgracing themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

If that's the way he's going to behave let him go ta fuck.

It gets worse, Buttner & Rafael liked Zaha's photo/rant on Instagram...Moyes has a mutiny on his hands

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    It gets worse, Buttner & Rafael liked Zaha's photo/rant on Instagram...Moyes has a mutiny on his hands

Can't say I wouldn't be happy if it sped up the sacking...

No

Just had a look there, he must have deleted the caption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    Ha the criticism of Chicha for his post last night is over the top. He said he won't open his mouth about anything untill he has left the club.

Moyes has mismanaged many a player this year and alienated most of the squad/fringe players.

Personally I would prefer Moyes left than half the squad which won the premier league last year. I honestly don't understand the love affair for someone who has done nothing for the club while turning our backs on the likes of Hernandez.

Rio was also missmanaged at the start of the season, Moyes had him playing in 5 or 6 consecutive games.

Just had a look there, he must have deleted the caption

He deleted the caption and has said on a Twitter that it wasnt a dig at Moyes, Zaha needs to grow up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

No
    Wilfried Zaha ‏@wilfriedzaha 7m
    My last Instagram picture was not intended as a dig or indirect at my manager, I have nothing but respect ..

Wilfried Zaha ‏@wilfriedzaha 4m
    My picture actually meant ole solskjaer has a lot faith for me to do something for cardiff's current position

I have a feeling he means both

I have a feeling he means both

At the same time everything a player says is over scrutinized and meanings that are not intended are sought by the press, especially whens its negative.

Rafael posted a pic with the caption "It takes darkness for the stars to shine" or something like that and you'll hardly hear about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

7k83.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    Let them all off. The team needs a total rebuild. There's only a few senior players worth keeping.

Players that should be or are going in the summer.

Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Evra
    Giggs
    Anderson
    Fabio
    Fletcher
    Young
    Valencia
    Nani
    Hernandez

We already have 4-5 replacements in Fellaini, Kagawa, Mata, Januzaj and possibly Jones. We still need to get at least 1-2 world class center backs in, 2 defensive midfielders, a right back and a left back and at least 1 more attacking midfielder/right winger. It would cost the guts of 160m but they would get around 60-70m for the sale of Young, Valencia, Nani, Anderson, Fabio and Hernandez as well as clearing about a million a week in wages off the books for new players. Bring back a couple of the young prospects like Lingard and Powell to fill the squad.

None of it will matter without a world class manager though. Moyes could have a dream team and still struggle on all fronts.

No
    People are looking into players tweets and Instagram post way too much almost to the point of putting words in players mouths to cause speculation.

No
    People can pan the players all they want but im going to back guys Fergie brought in and who have won us titles (in Hernandez's case) over a manager it's becoming increasingly clear is out of his depth.

Moyes is losing the dressing room, comments like that were unheard of under Sir Alex. Repeatedly blaming the players, bad results and now questioning the mentality, it's only a matter of time before this grumbling becomes outright mutinous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

No
    I'm not likin the way some posters are callin others plastic fans and the anti moyes brigade and stuff because they've decided he isn't the man for the job. I can speak for myself when i say i was willing to give Moyes time to put his own stamp on the team but there hasn't been any sign of improvement or progress but instead it's been getting worse. To be sayin you're not a real fan etc for callin for his head is the greatest load of bollox. I don't support David Moyes. I support Man United.

I wish it had worked out for him, i really do. But it hasn't and i don't think it ever will.

p.s Didn't like Rene's sly dig about the straightforward tactics yesterday. It was borne out of bitterness and he won't be so smart when he gets the sack himself, which he most definitely will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No
    almost a couple of days on from the match and people are going to start becoming positive about the future again...as per the norm on this thread...

• Advertisement

No

However - if you know the opposition will insist on shifting it wide and crossing it to death, then it's absolutely a good defensive set-up. There's no point holding a high line leaving space in behind. Because when they shift it wide it means you're running back towards your own goal to clear the crosses.

I.e. In short, if you defend that deep at least you are facing the play and can see ball and man in your eyeline. Easy to defend against crosses that way. Not so easy when running backwards from a high line.

So i'd disagree. They set up defensively well because they did their homework and knew Moyes is a one-trick-pony obsessed with crossing.

As it stood, Rene did really well and had them set up perfectly to defend aerial bombardment from wide.

Nonsense. One of the basic rules of defending crosses is that you don't fall too deep and so impede your keeper and unnecessarily bring the danger near your own goal. When the opposition are crossing the ball from 20, 30 and 40 yards out, falling back into your own six yard box is a bad idea. Any half decent junior side will coach this. All professional teams operate that way.

Nobody is saying Fulham should have held a high line. Holding a line on or near the edge your your own 18 yard box is is not holding a high line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    The only positive is that the wheels have been set in motion for the sacking of Moyes. It's just a matter of when.

No
    Fulham fell back deep because they had a good height advantage with their CB's and 8 players to join them. How you mention them doing this continually as bad defending when it was an obvious tactic is strange. It was their plan.

Funny that their plan runs contrary to all the defensive plans of all other professional football teams. Rene must be more of a genius than we guessed.
    They set to defend and counter. They scored as many on the counter as they couldn't defend. Their game plan worked.

The fact that they got a result does not prove that they were well organised defensively.
    Chlesea were called bad for being Ultra defensive against a superior Barca side. You said Fulham defended bad when they were set ultra defensive to counter attack, the similarity is obvious. If you can't see it I can't help that.

Whenever you work out how to make this in to a coherent point I'll respond to it.
    We scored twice against a team that had a set defensive plan, whether it was a good or bad one it still worked, it wasn't pretty or attractive or nice to watch but it worked. We scored twice, there is the proof it worked

How does this paragraph lend any weight to your claim that Fulham were well organised defensively?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,658 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    BloodBath wrote: »
    The only positive is that the wheels have been set in motion for the sacking of Moyes. It's just a matter of when.

ill celebrate like its 1999

No
    Headshot wrote: »
    ill celebrate like its 1999

I'm going on the piss the day he gets the sack, fact.

People here are still comparing what Fulham did yesterday to Chelsea in the Nou Camp and Allianz in 2012...really? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement