Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• TheDoc wrote: »
    Well I think it's pretty self explanatory.

Chico isn't getting his game, isn't good enough imo, and will never get ahead of a fit RVP or Rooney. Can see why he is miffed, but it's from a player who is frustrated with lack of gametime. But doesn't really justify getting any.

Rio is pretty much done. Great servant, great defender, but Moyes doesn't fancy him and I agree. He had his watershed moment this year, and isn't strong enough or fit enough to play CB for us.

Cleverly getting alot of flack and being made a scapegoat. Explaining he is being given specific instructions, totally get his defensive stance at present.

Anderson has a little swipe, after being a complete waste of space, sucking up wages for his injury stricken tenure at the club.

The players who are actually our heavy hitters, the players who have an immediate future a the club, Rooney, RVP, Mata, Jan, Fletcher, Carrick. Have all had positive things to say about the manager at a point this season.

I don't read much into players about to exit having little stroppy sly remarks. Sometimes big long serving players struggle to deal with the powers dwindling, or their exodus ariving.

Couldnt have said it any better myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Passing the ball square because he's directed to do so, as in get it to the by line. And in fairness he's still giving 100% no matter how much it may annoy me looking at him passing it square.
    Compare that to the lacklustre perfomances from Evra for example. He has been at fault for mutiple goals conceeded this season and just looks like he couldn't be arsed anymore.

I have to disagree,his contribution to the team is negligible,his job was to take the ball from Carrick & move the play on.He has the positional sense of a blind man so all too often we see the ball bypassing him & being hit long to the wings.In the Stoke game you could see him standing & calling for the ball while surrounded by Stoke players instead of finding space,Carrick simply ignored him.
    For a young player who sees a future at this club it's a bad way to go about cementing that place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

TheDoc wrote: »

Chico isn't getting his game, isn't good enough imo, and will never get ahead of a fit RVP or Rooney. Can see why he is miffed, but it's from a player who is frustrated with lack of gametime. But doesn't really justify getting any.

Rio is pretty much done. Great servant, great defender, but Moyes doesn't fancy him and I agree. He had his watershed moment this year, and isn't strong enough or fit enough to play CB for us.

Cleverly getting alot of flack and being made a scapegoat. Explaining he is being given specific instructions, totally get his defensive stance at present.

Anderson has a little swipe, after being a complete waste of space, sucking up wages for his injury stricken tenure at the club.

The players who are actually our heavy hitters, the players who have an immediate future a the club, Rooney, RVP, Mata, Jan, Fletcher, Carrick. Have all had positive things to say about the manager at a point this season.

I don't read much into players about to exit having little stroppy sly remarks. Sometimes big long serving players struggle to deal with the powers dwindling, or their exodus ariving.

I agree with this. Players speaking out about the manager shows that he doesn't have complete control of the dressing room, which isn't great but it's not the end of the world. However when the likes of Rooney or Van Persie speak out about him that's when it show's he's lost the dressing room I think. At that point he'll be shown the door.

• zerks wrote: »
    I have to disagree,his contribution to the team is negligible,his job was to take the ball from Carrick & move the play on.He has the positional sense of a blind man so all too often we see the ball bypassing him & being hit long to the wings.In the Stoke game you could see him standing & calling for the ball while surrounded by Stoke players instead of finding space,Carrick simply ignored him.
    For a young player who sees a future at this club it's a bad way to go about cementing that place.
    I never doubted that this guy has his faults and yes Carrick made the correct decision in this case, another fault in his game is his inability to tackle when tracking back. He has been at fault for a couple of suspect free kicks outside our penalty area when losing possession.

But I still think by default he is being instructed to force the ball wide.
    If you can rememeber back when he played his first couple of games for Man Utd prior to that long injury spell he had, his range of passing was excellent, typically he liked the through ball. I haven't seen him attempt to try out anything like this since Moyes took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No

I would say they are more miffed at the mismanagement than the lack of gametime. Some of those players got little gametime under Fergie and you didn't hear any of these stories about them.

Take Hernandez for example. We hear all the time that Rooney and RVP have been missing a lot this season, yet Chico has still only started 3/4 league games. No wonder he is pissed off.

Rio was also mishandled at the start of the season. He had a specific training plan last year and had a fantastic season, then Moyes played him in every single game at the start of the year and he couldn't keep up. If Moyes had handled him correctly he could have had an experienced defender fresh and ready to come in when needed, instead he has a bitter club legend on his hands.

Zaha? If I had to watch that waste of space Valencia all season while I got no gametime at all then I would be pretty annoyed also. And no matter what you think of Anderson he still had to watch Jones Giggs and Cleverley not only play ahead of him, but play ahead of him badly yet still keep their place.

Players do not get bitter at a lack of game time in and of itself, they get bitter when they are handled badly by the manager. And considering the handling of players is the very reason for having a manager in the first place then its clearly a problem when you hear of so many disenfranchised players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No
    zerks wrote: »
    Didn't pay too much heed to the rant inbetween the bits Cleverley said,still it shows the mindset of too many English players who have an inflated sense of their capabilities.They all seem to be brought up in the game thinking "young,English = best in the world",the media has a lot to answer to but some of the stuff Clev says is just fantasy.

Fletcher used to get the stick Cleverley is now getting but he never did interviews proclaiming how good he is,he knuckled down & built on his strengths & progressed as a result.Cleverley shows no sign of doing this.

Grand, I'm not convinced you read any of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Cleverley's given an interview to Oliver Holt,to call it cringeworthy would be generous.

http://thebusbybabe.sbnation.com/2014/2/11/5399412/tom-cleverley-gives-a-shameful-embarrassing-interview-with-oliver-holt

Disgraceful final paragraph from the clown who wrote this. Wishing a long and painful injury on one of our own. Moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    I couldn't give a toss about Liverpool and whether you think they are big or not, so dry your eyes.

After the trouble he went to dissecting your post and pointing out the perceived flaws in it, trying to give you a bit of a lesson and then you reply with that :D
    Gave me a good lol anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

No
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    taking Liverpool from that list....

IF we get CL football then it is just another step along the long road of establishing ourselves as a regular again. which in itself is a huge task, so that is a good 5yrs away if I am honest.

Think its safe to say City & Chelsea will be the bankers for CL for the foreseeable future.
    Arsenal (without Wenger) I would categorise along with LFC and Man Utd as possible Yo-Yo in and out of the competition over the medium term.
    Arsenal (with Wenger) probably a banker as well for qualification.

Spurs (if they get their **** together) will also be amongst of three (Utd,LFC,Spurs) that will be scrapping for 4th.

so taking it all into account the only thing that I think has/will change over the next few years is that Utd will have been dragged out of the category for guaranteed qualification, and now scrapping with the likes of Spurs and Liverpool for that coveted 4th spot.

It really comes down to whoever over the next few years will get their act together, and with Utds resources I wouldn't bet against them rebuilding, and surpassing at the faster rate.

Is there any update on Liverpool's stadium redevelopment/project? You'd assume that will be happening in the next few years and one would expect resources to be really stretched for a while before the awards are reaped.

That's a fairly big issue hanging over Liverpool when discussing the foreseeable future. Ditto Spurs.

United are lucky in so far as they won't have to concern themselves with any of that.

You would think Liverpool would need serious investment in the Summer (if they do get a CL spot) if they want to have a decent chance at sustaining qualification for the competition. They are having their best season in years with no European football to contend with and were knocked out in their first league cup game, yet are only 3 points from 5th.

• I would say they are more miffed at the mismanagement than the lack of gametime. Some of those players got little gametime under Fergie and you didn't hear any of these stories about them.

Take Hernandez for example. We hear all the time that Rooney and RVP have been missing a lot this season, yet Chico has still only started 3/4 league games. No wonder he is pissed off.

Rio was also mishandled at the start of the season. He had a specific training plan last year and had a fantastic season, then Moyes played him in every single game at the start of the year and he couldn't keep up. If Moyes had handled him correctly he could have had an experienced defender fresh and ready to come in when needed, instead he has a bitter club legend on his hands.

Zaha? If I had to watch that waste of space Valencia all season while I got no gametime at all then I would be pretty annoyed also. And no matter what you think of Anderson he still had to watch Jones Giggs and Cleverley not only play ahead of him, but play ahead of him badly yet still keep their place.

Players do not get bitter at a lack of game time in and of itself, they get bitter when they are handled badly by the manager. And considering the handling of players is the very reason for having a manager in the first place then its clearly a problem when you hear of so many disenfranchised players.

Fergie hardly gave Hernandez 0 - 90 minutes starts either. Unless it was in a micky mouse cup like the Capital One.
    Moyes went with who he believed would perform better in a 0 - 90 minute scenario. Welbeck had hit a bit of form this season and to me has better ability at finding space,
    Hernandez is most effective when he observes (as did Ole Gunner Solks) and found pockets to goal poach when he was used as a sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I would say they are more miffed at the mismanagement than the lack of gametime. Some of those players got little gametime under Fergie and you didn't hear any of these stories about them.

I agree with everything except Rio. His days are over, right from the word go he looked off the pace, physically weaker, losing headers and unable to track runners.

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Disgraceful final paragraph from the clown who wrote this. Wishing a long and painful injury on one of our own. Moron.

That was scummy,as much as I don't rate or like some players be they from United or another club,I'd never wish injury on them.

No
    After the trouble he went to dissecting your post and pointing out the perceived flaws in it, trying to give you a bit of a lesson and then you reply with that :D
    Gave me a good lol anyway.

Thank you for sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    Fergie hardly gave Hernandez 0 - 90 minutes starts either. Unless it was in a micky mouse cup like the Capital One.
    Moyes went with who he believed would perform better in a 0 - 90 minute scenario. Welbeck had hit a bit of form this season and to me has better ability at finding space,
    Hernandez is most effective when he observes (as did Ole Gunner Solks) and found pockets to goal poach when he was used as a sub.

9 last season

15 in 11/12

18 in 10/11

keane2097 wrote: »
    Grand, I'm not convinced you read any of it now.

Nah,I just posted a link without reading Clev's interview:rolleyes:

He'd be better served knuckling down and proving himself on the pitch than trying to justify himself in the papers.I laughed at Liverpool for signing Henderson who seemed to just run around like a cocker spaniel chasing a ball,at least he's put his head down and actually improved his game.Clev is similar but doesn't seem to learn and makes the same mistakes every game,it looks like it's never going to click with him what he needs to do to kick on.Blaming tactics is a copout.

• beno619 wrote: »
    9 last season

15 in 11/12

18 in 10/11

9 last season..yep and

He has already started 10 times in 2013/2014 season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No
    9 last season..yep and

He has already started 10 times in 2013/2014 season

9 in the league with RVP and Rooney mostly fit.

4 starts in the league this season, with RVP and Rooney missing for large portions. Also didn't play for a majority of the first 2 months, then is thrown in and expected to hit top form. Come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

He'd be better served knuckling down and proving himself on the pitch than trying to justify himself in the papers.I laughed at Liverpool for signing Henderson who seemed to just run around like a cocker spaniel chasing a ball,at least he's put his head down and actually improved his game.Clev is similar but doesn't seem to learn and makes the same mistakes every game,it looks like it's never going to click with him what he needs to do to kick on.Blaming tactics is a copout.

As disgusting as the article was, I mean wishing injury on a player? wtf.jpg, I have to agree with this.

Clev giving an interview to a journo knowing full well it will get lots of attention is going to achieve what exactly? Just keep your head down and get on with it.

Is Tom saying the flak hurts going to get the sympathy of those giving him the flak? They are now going to reevaluate the abuse they throw at him from the stands or via social media because they know it hurts him? No, they will give it to him worse than ever now that they know its getting to him.

Clevs TC23 website and engagement in social media is something only a well proven player should do ie CR7.

Clev has been poor for UTD, the interview was an idiotic move.

beno619 wrote: »

4 starts in the league this season, with RVP and Rooney missing for large portions. Also didn't play for a majority of the first 2 months, then is thrown in and expected to hit top form. Come off it.

Our style (lol) of play currently doesn't suit his game,even RVP & Rooney are finding it hard work to convert any chances created.The clever play that we expect to see is pretty much non-existent.Get it wide and lash it in isn't what strikers thrive on.We are simply crossing for crossings sake,look back when Becks played for us,he actually aimed for the strikers or the space where they were running into,now it's as if the lads crossing the ball are blindfolded.

• Advertisement

• beno619 wrote: »

Again I have stated my opinion on why Moyes has selected Welbeck over him in previous post.

And his 4 starts he has had in the league he was awful in two of them missing mutiple sitters, may not have had the chance to hit top form but again in my opinion Welbeck was the better choice this season.

He would replace RVP directly not Rooney. Welbeck was chosen instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blatter wrote: »
    Is there any update on Liverpool's stadium redevelopment/project? You'd assume that will be happening in the next few years and one would expect resources to be really stretched for a while before the awards are reaped.

That's a fairly big issue hanging over Liverpool when discussing the foreseeable future. Ditto Spurs.

United are lucky in so far as they won't have to concern themselves with any of that.

You would think Liverpool would need serious investment in the Summer (if they do get a CL spot) if they want to have a decent chance at sustaining qualification for the competition. They are having their best season in years with no European football to contend with and were knocked out in their first league cup game, yet are only 3 points from 5th.

The stadium regeneration work looks like starting within the year.

Knocked out in the league cup>? Oh the shame! Utd were beaten by Swansea in the 3rd round of the FA Cup - sh1t happens! As for the gap, sure its quite small but the game schedule certainly favours Liverpool (Spurs have to play Arsenal, Chelsea away and Liverpool away for example) and its really 4 points with the massive goal difference.

No
    mike65 wrote: »

Knocked out in the league cup>? Oh the shame! Utd were beaten by Swansea in the 3rd round of the FA Cup - sh1t happens! As for the gap, sure its quite small but the game schedule certainly favours Liverpool (Spurs have to play Arsenal, Chelsea away and Liverpool away for example) and its really 4 points with the massive goal difference.
    Think you kind of missed his point about the league cup but whatever... whinge away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I don't think Cleverley has the talent to kick on he is just an average squad player who i don't see excels at any part of his game. He never stood out at Wigan i thought McCarthy looked the better talent. In his and Anderson's run of games i thought Anderson was the stand out player. I do remember years ago he was banging goals in but he offers no offensive threat anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No
    I couldn't give a toss about Liverpool and whether you think they are big or not, so dry your eyes.

Let me make it simpler for you: the entirety of the football world is able to recognise what is and isn't a big club. If it detracts from your current disappointment at Utd's predicament to pretend otherwise that is your prerogative. It should be instructive to how bad this may yet become.

The thoughts that ye won't turn it around next year and quickly return to the top table may seem outlandish now. Believe me I thought it was outlandish in May 2010 too.

You need to:

- get the right manager;
    - make the right additions in midfield;
    - make the right replacements for staples of the squad like Vidic, Evra;
    - keep Rooney;
    - get everything rolling in the right direction again;

Can you sort all of it before August? Probably.

Was listening to Newstalk last night and a journo from Liverpool was talking about the CL/title race and said Rodgers seemed to accidentally come across their current style of play,things just clicked.They have become a counter-attacking team rather than the possession team he wanted and are more effective that way.United used to play like that & destroy teams.One problem he said was if they early blitz style goes wrong and they don't score goals then are knackered from the effort.United should use how Liverpool started against Arsenal as a blueprint for tomorrow night's match,however I fear the one dimensional stuff will continue.

• Advertisement

No
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Let me make it simpler for you: the entirety of the football world is able to recognise what is and isn't a big club.

If I was in the Liverpool thread, and if I gave a toss about what is and isn't a big club, then perhaps I would engage in this tangent.

But we aren't. And I don't.

No
    Blatter wrote: »

These are reasonable points. Spurs proved recently that the demands of CL can put you right back where you were very quickly if you don't aggressively invest upon qualification.

I think that's the big thing going for ye. Despite the hapless season unfolding, the stadium / revenues remain incredibly powerful and the squad is well served in certain areas. Get the right manager and stretch things in the transfer market this summer and you should be back on course.

No
    If I was in the Liverpool thread, and if I gave a toss about what is and isn't a big club, then perhaps I would engage in this tangent.

You started the tangent sir. And you should probably start giving a toss. Real whack of late Hodgson era Liverpool of Utd right now. Your aim should be to not make the many mistakes we did and not spend a half decade righting the ship (or two plus decades for another way of comparing it).

Plus it's fun hanging out in this thread at present. You guys are box office lately! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Its fairly clear that he's using a relevant, and recent, example here. You're deliberately choosing to let it over your head.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Mike I don't think that was the point being made by Blatter.

The conversation was more about forecasting who, and who not, could sustain and be consistent at getting CL qualification, and the aspects/impacts for each club say over the next 5-10yrs - Blatters point(s) where all on the money.

Liverpool are still probably closer to 10yrs behind, rather than closer to 5yr.

The stadium will have an impact over the coming years and hats off to Wenger/Arsenal who was extremely successful over their transitional period.

• Advertisement

No
    You started the tangent sir. And you should probably start giving a toss. Real whack of late Hodgson era Liverpool of Utd right now. Your aim should be to not make the many mistakes we did and not spend a half decade righting the ship (or two plus decades for another way of comparing it).

Plus it's fun hanging out in this thread at present. You guys are box office lately! :)
    So you keep saying... You're like a broken record at this stage.

Bad losers,worse winners;)

No

You'll have to forgive me for taking a keen interest in the most fascinating story in world football right now! :)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Was listening to Newstalk last night and a journo from Liverpool was talking about the CL/title race and said Rodgers seemed to accidentally come across their current style of play,things just clicked.They have become a counter-attacking team rather than the possession team he wanted and are more effective that way.United used to play like that & destroy teams.One problem he said was if they early blitz style goes wrong and they don't score goals then are knackered from the effort.United should use how Liverpool started against Arsenal as a blueprint for tomorrow night's match,however I fear the one dimensional stuff will continue.

Absolute fűcking balderdash and I think you know that aswell.

Rodgers has a philosophy that he wants to impose at the club.
    He aint got the players to fulfil this to its best potential, and been let down to some degree by the powers that be to allow him to by not adding the required quality/players.

So...

he changed tactic and has the team (still very limited in some areas) maxed out and playing very well.

No fűcking fluke about it and shows he has more strings to his bow. Unlike some other coveted young managers that got found out.

We picked the right horse with Rodgers I am very confident in that.

sorry for making the Man U thread sound like the LFC one but I had to reply to that shįte from Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No

I gladly retract my statement and jump on your wagon :D

No
    You'll have to forgive me for taking a keen interest in the most fascinating story in world football right now! :)
    I think everybody has got the message by now about how you personally feel about the whole situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

No
    Well, in reality you can in a lot of cases.

Real Madrid
    Barcelona
    Bayern Munich
    PSG
    Monaco

All very safe bets for CL football.

City and Chelsea would be as well. Arsenal/Liverpool/United (if we get back to some sort of level again) would be decent bets but one of them won't make it per season - under Fergie we were as safe a bet as any to make the CL.
    surely you'd have to put Arsenal in the safe bet category given they haven't failed to qualify for it in about 834 years whilst winning nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Mike I don't think that was the point being made by Blatter.

The conversation was more about forecasting who, and who not, could sustain and be consistent at getting CL qualification, and the aspects/impacts for each club say over the next 5-10yrs - Blatters point(s) where all on the money.

Liverpool are still probably closer to 10yrs behind, rather than closer to 5yr.

The stadium will have an impact over the coming years and hats off to Wenger/Arsenal who was extremely successful over their transitional period.

Well its not going to be too hard for Liverpool - the stadium is not being ripped down, its being adapted in two phases while football continues to be played (with the revenue that raises) - the total projected cost is about 150-170 million. Hardly beyond the finances of LFC and FSG over a projected 10 year payback. Obviously players will need buying but Liverpool have shown willing to splash the cash if the right talent can be picked up. Lets not forget 25 million would have been thrown at Micky Ryan last summer even with Suarez staying - obviously should Luis bolt for Madrid then money will not be an issue - just finding the right new striker will!

No
    I think everybody has got the message by now about how you personally feel about the whole situation.

Indeed. How do you feel by the way? What's it like to be experiencing a season like this for the first time in your Utd supporting lifetime (my apologies if you're older than I assume)? I guess that's an open question to everyone on here - how difficult is the adjustment to not assuming you'll win with regularity, to not expecting the dying comeback?

It is interesting that you'll have a full generation of Utd fans being faced with their first genuinely poor season as a football supporter. I'd imagine there is a great book to be written on the topic, a modern day Fever Pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    So Manchester United..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'm ok with it. It's obviously crap when you're used to such ridiculous success but we had barren years from 03-06 and we came out of that stronger than ever. United are one of the biggest clubs in the world, and the biggest and most important in Britian by an absolute mile. I think logic states that theyre more likely to go back to success in the medium term than not. In 3-4 years if theyre laguishing in mid table ill worry. Otherwise, after the unparalleled success the club has given us in the last 20 years, they deserve a bit of patience and time to get things right once more, which i'm sure they will.

An Everton fan's take on Moye's tactics,looks like things haven't changed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/1xj3yi/everton_fan_gave_his_perspective_on_moyes_and_his/cfc5tgv

The first bit above gives an insight as to how he's gone about his business at Everton,depressingly familiar feel about how they played and now how we are.
    Below is from when he was mentioned as becoming United manager,it's as if the writer had a crystal ball.
    I feel like it is a big mistake for Man Utd.

Moyes is a fantastic frugal manager; he gets players to play a specific way, in a specific position which they grow to know like the back of their hands- making even mediocre players look fantastic. The problem is, this leaves zero space for flexibility.

We do very well against teams who play at us, but when teams sit back and counterattack we struggle hugely, and this is the fault of Moyes's managerial style. Just look at the points we have dropped to the bottom 6... it is astonishing. This is not the end of the world when you are the manager of Everton, we are expected to drop points here and there and if we can't break down a rugged defence then nobody is going to get out the pitchforks.

Imagine if Man Utd stop being able to break down those defences and consider the reaction of the faithful then.

In addition to that, Moyes, even after 10 years in a top flight job seems to fail to understand attacking football. Year after year we have struggled to score, forward after forward have been brought in; but each one disappoints. After a certain amount of time one needs to stop looking at the players and begin to blame the manager. Luckily we have excelled in other areas, which has limited the damage from crappy forwards, but it is another thing that is going to be a major concern for Man Utd fans over the forthcoming years if he does get the job.

The fact is however, that Man Utd is publicly traded- they need to bring in a figurehead that the stock exchange will be able to have faith in. Would an unproven (on a CL level) manager with question marks hanging over him damage the share price more than a loose cannon (Mourinho) or a manager unproven in the PL (that is if they do manage to lure Klopp, which will be tough)?

I honestly don't know.

Can he change a style of play that's ingrained into his dna at this stage? I've been loathe to criticise him & willing to give him time but I simply can't see him changing from what he's done in his managerial career so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Apt time to post this video after the 82 crosses in fulham game.

I'm so frustrated with Kagawa not getting a game... he's one of the only united players with genuine composure on the ball and looks to create something every time he get it. Its footballers like him that make the sport worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

At least when we sell a forward to Real Madrid we have seen that we have enough quality to cope, can't say the same for certain other clubs when the time comes.

This season i kinda expected it to be a transition season after such a great club legend left his post and with the success he has had, again can't say the same for other some other clubs and their legends leaving their managerial position:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    Lads and ladies, Utd are a shambles at the moment and their fall from grace has been as spectacular as it has been fast. To be surprised and annoyed to see Liverpool fans reveling in it is naive at best. They have every right to and I wouldnt expect anything less. If the shoe was on the other foot......

Time to man up and take our medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

No
    Firstly, Rodgers has done very well with Liverpool and it cannot be called an accident that he has done so. It was clear from early days that he wanted to impose a more fluid system on the team.

Now, on to United.

We need to take the game to Arsenal. Give them absolutely zero time on the ball. Up front we need to be fluid and IMO Rooney should not be anywhere near the no. 10 position. Put Mata there, he's better at it. Rooney is a striker. Play him as one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Regarding match tickets, do the official site run a scheme where season ticket holders can opt out of matches and other members can buy them?

I've seen similar schemes at Real Madrid, Barcelona, etc. Normally when I want United tickets, I don't buy them on the official site so I'm not sure what the protocol is.

I noticed that the tickets for Villa, Nowich, Hull, are on general sale for members, but they seem to be very limited to the fairly rubbish seats. I'm planning on going to at least one of those games.

I'm wondering if I hold out until closer to the time, will more become available as season ticket holders opt out, or if they can't opt out, presumably availability will only get worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Our defence is the main problem leaking goals like a drain. Would like to see Evra and Rafael be told not to get beyond the half way line as much which won't happen because of our crossing agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

No
    We can only dream of the years 03-06 at the moment, that's how far we have fallen. Moyes has pretty much dragged us back to the late eighties/ early nintes with the form we are in, any further back and we'll see liverpool lifting the league trophy.

It's one thing to accept it was going to be a difficult year with the transition from Fergie, and another to see the team plummet from champions, to CL qualification to mid table to our current relegation form. There has to be a line as to what is acceptable for a club like United. If the football being played wasn't also getting worse, it could be somewhat bearable, but the cracks that some have said for a while were been covered up by the odd good performance earlier in the season are now clearly visible and threatening to burst.
    I think for a lot of supporters who were prepared to give Moyes time (myself included), the Stoke and Fulham results have seen that line crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

paulbok wrote: »
    We can only dream of the years 03-06 at the moment, that's how far we have fallen. Moyes has pretty much dragged us back to the late eighties/ early nintes with the form we are in, any further back and we'll see liverpool lifting the league trophy.

It's one thing to accept it was going to be a difficult year with the transition from Fergie, and another to see the team plummet from champions, to CL qualification to mid table to our current relegation form. There has to be a line as to what is acceptable for a club like United. If the football being played wasn't also getting worse, it could be somewhat bearable, but the cracks that some have said for a while were been covered up by the odd good performance earlier in the season are now clearly visible and threatening to burst.
    I think for a lot of supporters who were prepared to give Moyes time (myself included), the Stoke and Fulham results have seen that line crossed.

Football fans always get this sort of stuff out of proportion. I heard a lot of Liverpool fans say that Hodgson/Dalglish had set them back years in terms of CL qualification. Yet one full season of Rodgers and they are now challenging for top 4.

The amount of times I heard "Staunton set Ireland back decades" was painful. Yet Trap came in and had us challenging for qualification straight away.

If you genuinely believe Man U have been set back to the 80s, then you weren't alive at that time.

You're a couple of players and a manager away from being a title contender.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement