Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

No
    Is Fellaini back for tomorrow or what, it's getting really annoying at this stage

Yes

MANCHESTER UNITED 6
    T Cleverley Knock no return date
    M Fellaini Groin/Pelvis Injury 12th Feb 14
    P Jones Concussion 12th Feb 14
    J Evans Calf/Shin Injury no return date
    R Ferdinand Knee Injury no return date
    Nani Hamstring Injury no return date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Pity Nani and Park aint around. They loved playing Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    At the end of a terse press conference on Tuesday it was not easy to know what to make of David Moyes' state of mind – other than to say he is growing resentful at the scrutiny that working for a club of Manchester United's size can bring.

The tone was set when the man from Sky offered a standard "good afternoon" and Moyes stared straight back. He then proceeded to say as little as possible before a bizarre sketch at the end when he was asked about the team's mid-season trip to Dubai – they leave on Thursday on Wednesday– while he was making his way to the door. Pretending he had not heard the question, he strode out. It was an expert blanking, missing only a talk-to-the-hand speech bubble. Moyes accepted later that he had heard every word.

Too much can be read into these events sometimes but it certainly offers an insight into Moyes' current mind-set when he is willing to give the television crews only three minutes of his time.

What quickly became evident was that this was not going to be a time for forensic analysis. His players had been "terrific," he said. "The players are doing great. I think I've got a great group of players. I'm very fortunate I took over the champions and I think the players have been terrific."

It was gently pointed out that his team were 21 points worse off than at this stage last season. "Well, I was at Everton so I wasn't 21 points worse off," he replied. "I was at Everton."

OK, but United, how has it gone that way? "The improvement in the teams in the Premier League has been big," he said. "There have been a lot of improvements from sides in the Premier League and obviously we've not done as well." That was about as expansive as it became.

There were little clues, however. Moyes was clearly unhappy at the reaction to the 2-2 draw with Fulham the Premier League's bottom club, and the focus on his team knocking cross after cross into the penalty area. "You need to have a football intelligence, a football brain, to understand first of all," he said of his tactics.

René Meulensteen, Fulham's manager, had said United were predictable and their young defender, Dan Burn, had talked about Conference-style tactics. "Yeah, well, I thought only one team came to win," Moyes said. "But you [media] watched it yourselves, so it was probably a game for you to write how badly Manchester United had done, rather than what the opposition played like."

Was he disappointed, after the signing of Juan Mata, that his players had not reacted better? "Who's not reacted?" Moyes shot back. The team? "Yeah, but we played well against Fulham and should have won the game so, if you take that, I would have to disagree."

Was it time to try something different? "I disagree with that as well." Even though the results are not what they should be? "I can only give you my answer. I disagree." More staring.

A poll by the Red Issue fanzine has shown Moyes has lost some of the crowd's backing recently. In January 7% of supporters wanted him sacked, with 20% saying they would give him until the end of the season. It is now 17% wanting him out now and 32% preferring a summer change. It has also emerged that United have briefed their stewards about the possibility of a new wave of protests against the Glazer family. Stewards have also been warned about a possible pay cut if the club do not qualify for the Champions League.

Another questioner pointed out that at a different club the supporters might have been hounding him out by now. That was maybe the only time Moyes agreed. "That's why the right clubs pick the right managers and the right managers pick the right clubs. You pick clubs where you know it is the right place for you.

"I was given a six-year contract because it was a long-term deal. It was always going to take time. There is rebuilding going on year after year here and we will continue to try to do that."

By the end, however, Moyes could scarcely go through the motions when he was asked whether the team had to reproduce the form they showed when beating Arsenal at Old Trafford earlier in the season. He just nodded and stared. So, to clarify, did he think they could reproduce that level? "Yeah, I think we can." Could he explain? "Because we have done it before." It has been a long time, though. "You asked me a question about Arsenal and I am just answering your question. I think we can."

And then he was off, without a single look back.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/11/manchester-united-david-moyes

Sounds very tense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Well in fairness he's talking to the journalists who have spent the last few days smack tearing him apart in the press. He's hardly going to be all smiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    Well in fairness he's talking to the journalists who have spent the last few days smack tearing him apart in the press. He's hardly going to be all smiles.

I know, I'm not saying its a bad thing. A not so nicey-nice Moyes may be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

No
    I know, I'm not saying its a bad thing. A not so nicey-nice Moyes may be a good thing.

it doesn't sound like he was been cutting, or tough or harsh though, more like he was upset and defensive and crestfallen, at least that's how dan taylor paints the picture, a man who works for a company who makes money by selling stories.
    Oh wait no its the Guardian, a man who works for a company who invest so much in researching and investigating the truth that they run at a loss every year and are funded by a group of billionaires who believe it is the right way to spend their money in the pursuit of truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No

If only.

They've been very lenient with Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

No
    Vidal signed a 4 year extension upping his wages to 200k a week according to the DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

BloodBath wrote: »
    Debateable. Put Rooney up there for the season and he would have a similar tally.

Why can't we accommodate both of them like Liverpool do with the SAS?

Both alternate between striker striker lw/rw depending on which wing sterling plays on lately anyways. Suarez will probably play wider a bit more then sturridge as he offers a selfless amount of workrate and is just as effective there. Anyways, i dont think moyes has that luxary, neither rooney nor rvp can play wide happily i believe? Certainly not rvp anyways...

Moyes has a problem where he has 3 superb players who can play behind a striker and he can only ever play one unless he ditches wingers altogether which i cant see happening. Fwiw i think fellaini is a better player as a more advanced midfielder just to add to the headache.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Vidal signed a 4 year extension upping his wages to 200k a week according to the DM.

But we are signing him in the summer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

No
    Utd are stuck with Moyes and it will be legendary for all the wrong reasons! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Vertigo100 wrote: »

Just having a chat here about Vidal, and if this turns out to be true I'll not be happy!
    Really really good player, that would go a long way to solving a few of our problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    “Just keep doing the job because I know that we’re doing the right job. We’ll do the same things, we’ll make sure things are right - prepare the players well and things will change I have no doubt.”

The questioner came back with, ‘Should you not be doing different things because the same things are not working?’

“I disagree with that as well,” answered the United boss.

Oh good god. Keep on digging yourself deeper Moyes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

This season is a write off, ideally i would like him to resign now but I'm willing to give him my support to see what transfer business he does this summer and then first 5 league games of next season. If its still the same them he has to go and there needs to be Glazer like protests to make it happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Apparently he was only on 87k a week before and being arguably the best midfielder in the world I think he well deserved a contract bump, it doesn't rule out a move away in the summer though IMO

I'm sure a lot of teams will be in for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

The Glazers could possibly win some fans over even if they stepped in right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

A question for ye!
    Is the amount of people on here that would like to see Moyes removed representative of the general public?

The majority of my United supporting mates would be against his sacking and the number of people in here that want him gone seems very high compared to that.
    Is it that the anti-Moyes opinions are the more vocal because of the anger/emotion involved, whereas the posters that want to see him continue are maybe not as vociferous about it?

Liam O wrote: »
    While I agree with a lot of what stankratz is saying, the United playing the same as Everton thing is not true. I actually wish Moyes United were playing the same tactics as his Everton team. He has the players to do it. If Rooney was put out wide in the Mirallas role, Kagawa through the middle and Mata where Pienaar played surely there would be an improvement. Before someone comes up with the Rooney crap out wide argument, he gets a lot of productivity from the right when he plays there, at least in previous seasons. Honestly it's past time to set up in a manner that is based on just beating whoever the team is playing, whether it be Fulham, City or whoever. The players are playing like they have no humility and they are responsible for that. Blame Moyes for motivation ok but a lot of players have really let themselves down this season. I can't believe at this stage I wouldn't be too upset if Javier Hernandez left United. At this stage last season I'd have almost welled up at the suggestion but him and other's performances have gone so far backwards you'd think their own pride would elevate them somewhat. A lot of players have purely embarrassed themselves this season.

Edit: read it again and he wasn't saying that we play like Everton :o so I guess I pretty much agree with everything :p

You made me re-read with a doubt in my mind! :D I don't deny that the players themselves have a fair bit to answer for, a few of them way more than others IMO.
    Trilla wrote: »

3 things

Was ferociously windy vs Stoke
    Carrick was awarded the own goal in the end
    Darren Bentley managed a hattrick vs us few years back

:)

1. Yes, the wind was taking the píss bigtime, but I really don't accept that as an excuse when Stoke beat us, they had an equal amount of time playing with/against it. It's not like Old Trafford sits on the Equator, any player who has been plying his trade in the English Premier League for a few years will not be shocked by extreme weather.

2. You say it was a Carrick OG 'in the end', unfortunately that didn't change the gutwrench I was experiencing during the game when Adam was initially getting the credit.

3. David Bentley? Remember it well, Rio had a mare. What I was saying in my post though was that Charlie Adam was (pre-Carrick O.G. award which came after the match) on a hat-trick, and according to the commentator in the stream I was watching, this would have been the first Stoke hat-trick vs. Manchester United since pre 1903, sure you know those boys and their penchant for facts that nobody asked to hear, but it did kill me a little when I heard him say it at the time.
    Moyes answers questions away from the TV cameras in a seperate conference for newspapers
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-boss-david-moyes-6696917

This is seriously a fúcking fabrication right? Please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

No
    Written a short preview for a new website I've started writing for FootballHack.co.uk, feel free to let me know your thoughts. More of a overall look at the game rather than in depth thought/tactical discussion.

http://footballhack.co.uk/index.php/uk-football/barclays-premier-league/75-arsenal-versus-manchester-united-premier-league-preview

No
    What about something like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

No

I like how u picked the IF versions of both players :pac:

No
    IF versions?

No
    IF versions?

In form the black cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Al Capwned wrote: »
    A question for ye!
    Is the amount of people on here that would like to see Moyes removed representative of the general public?

The majority of my United supporting mates would be against his sacking and the number of people in here that want him gone seems very high compared to that.
    Is it that the anti-Moyes opinions are the more vocal because of the anger/emotion involved, whereas the posters that want to see him continue are maybe not as vociferous about it?
    I think this is the case. Those who are willing and (reasonably) happy to give him until January 2015 are essentially being drowned out by the noise coming from the Moyes Out camp. I know theres a few posting here who are happy to give him more time but I'd imagine there may be more who are "afraid" of speaking up for him on different forums as it undoubtedly ends up in having 10 different people essentially belittling you. I'm one of those who couldn't be bothered as even though I would like him to stay on, I neither have the time, energy nor patience to have to deal with the Anti-Moyes brigade.

I also agree with your "in real life" supporters comment in that most of the people I know who support United are in favour of Moyes staying albeit with differing conditions on what happens if he does stay.

No
    In form the black cards.

Ah I didn't even realise. The stats are unimportant anyway.

Would the formation work is the question.

No

Im sick of seeing Young play instead of Adnan so ya works for me!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    My biggest hate about David Moyes was always his horrible attitude to standard questions from the media. He would snarl back stupid replies to honest run of the mill questions. It looks like he is starting to do the same again.

Those answers are unbelievable. I refuse to watch the Arsenal game tomorrow because my mental health can't handle it at the moment. I haven't felt this frustrated about football in years.

No
    No Young fan, but I dont think he has been too bad since the Norwich game when he has played for us.

Think he has been unlucky not to have few more assists too cause some of his crosses have been good.

No
    The formation would allow for more natural substitutions as well. Kags can come on for Mata.

Welbeck and Chicha can come on for Rooney or Van Persie.

Nani or Young can come on for Valencia or Jan.

Jones can come on for any of the back 3.

They should all get a lot more game time than they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Not with Jan and T-Val as wing backs!

No
    No Young fan, but I dont think he has been too bad since the Norwich game when he has played for us.

Think he has been unlucky not to have few more assists too cause some of his crosses have been good.

Id pick Adnan over Young any day the week. Look at the difference when he came on Sunday even his two crosses created hassle. He makes things happen more then can say about alot the players out there for us at the moment.

Really hope he starts the Arsenal match we could do with someone who actually takes defenders on instead of just lobbing the ball into the box.

No
    Surely it can't be any worse than having Evra and Raf as wide backs? At least there's better central defence in a trio of CB's and the attacking and sub options are much better.

Evans and Smalling can pull out wide if Carrick and Fellaini track back to cover the middle with Vidic.

No

You know what it is about Young, he slows down the play too much for me. Valencia does it too but not to the same extent Young does it. What is the advantage of having a right footed Ashley Young on the left wing? I've yet to see the benefit of it, just like Nani when he was stuck on that wing. Why not just play him on the bloody right????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Couldn't have it at all. You are taking Rafael our only creative force down the right out of the team and putting in Valencia who can't attack or defend.

Also Janjuaz is not disciplined enough for that kind of role.

Opponents would have a field day down the wings.

No
    Couldn't have it at all. You are taking Rafael our only creative force down the right out of the team and putting in Valencia who can't attack or defend.

Also Janjuaz is not disciplined enough for that kind of role.

Opponents would have a field day down the wings.

Replace Valencia with Raf then? Would sooner see Nani there but is he ever going to play for us again. There are no better options down the left. Jan would give us some much needed pace and crossing ability. It would be up to the defence to cover that wing. There's an extra CB to help with that though.

• Advertisement

No
    Replace Valencia with Raf then?

And replace Janjuaz with Januzaj. Ha. :)

No
    GSPfan wrote: »
    You know what it is about Young, he slows down the play too much for me. Valencia does it too but not to the same extent Young does it. What is the advantage of having a right footed Ashley Young on the left wing? I've yet to see the benefit of it, just like Nani when he was stuck on that wing. Why not just play him on the bloody right????????

He does. I have said in past that Young does not use his best weapon enough. His Pace.

I would have him on right too, but for the position he is in I think he has done ok the past couple of months

No
    He does. I have said in past that Young does not use his best weapon enough. His Pace.

I would have him on right too, but for the position he is in I think he has done ok the past couple of months

Yeah in fairness he has. Definitely deserves praise for his effort and goals.

Replace Valencia with Raf then? Would sooner see Nani there but is he ever going to play for us again. There are no better options down the left. Jan would give us some much needed pace and crossing ability. It would be up to the defence to cover that wing. There's an extra CB to help with that though.

If i was playing wing backs i would play Young and Rafael. Actually i would buy back Fabio and play him instead of Young. I don't think Janjuaz would have discipline for a wing back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Tbh if I was Moyes I'd be going with a midfield 3 of Fellaini, Carrick and Kagawa with Rooney and Mata flanking/playing behind RVP, not wingers.

It won't happen though as we won't abandon wingers, but being honest I think we could have a good go at 4th and the champions league with that setup and more importantly an emphasis on passing the ball and movement rather than getting it to the wings and crossing it.

The downfall of that is that it's a bit of a slow setup, the attacking players aren't known for pace but it can't be worse than what we are doing now

• Advertisement

No
    I never said is perfect but surely the positives outweigh the negatives. I'm just an armchair manager the same as anyone else on here.

It would allow our best players to play their best positions and allow for more natural substitutions.

Playing Rooney as a number 10 and Mata on the right wing isn't exactly ideal either.

At least against teams who don't have a good wide game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

No
    I'm here for at least 3 years muttha fookers.

No
    Tbh if I was Moyes I'd be going with a midfield 3 of Fellaini, Carrick and Kagawa with Rooney and Mata flanking/playing behind RVP, not wingers.

It won't happen though as we won't abandon wingers, but being honest I think we could have a good go at 4th and the champions league with that setup and more importantly an emphasis on passing the ball and movement rather than getting it to the wings and crossing it.

If you were Moyes you would do nothing different because you believe you are doing it right.

I would like to see this team tried.

DDG

Rafael Evans Jones Evra

Carrick Kagawa Fellaini

Mata Rooney

RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

No

The downfall of that is that it's a bit of a slow setup, the attacking players aren't known for pace but it can't be worse than what we are doing now

I'd go with something along those lines too. Might sound nuts but would put Rooney and Mata as wide players and allow them freedom to come inside as much as they want. Because at least a) you're getting the most creative players on the ball with our archaic wing tactics and b) you'd have two players wide who aren't afraid to mix it up. They wouldn't be out and out wide players as such.

Then come the summer, try and find a way to get the players up front working together.

No
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    I would like to see this team tried.

DDG

Rafael Evans Jones Evra

Carrick Kagawa Fellaini

Mata Rooney

RVP

I actually don't like that. Think its way too narrow up top. And if Rooney and Mata go wider I think there's too much room in the middle.

Would much rather ...

Fellaini Carrick
    Januzaj Rooney Mata
    RVP

There's no way in hell Januzaj deserves to be dropped for Kagawa. Not if you are picking your strongest 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    Al Capwned wrote: »
    A question for ye!

The pro Moyes opinions are just as emotively expressed. You can see it in the quantity and quality of abuse the players have been getting all season.

No
    Was just looking at the league table. Southampton are right behind us and seem to have got over a little blip. If they go on a run (which is likely), and we continue to lose games (which is likely) we could be looking at a scrap for 7th place. Now surely to god no manager on Earth could retain their job if we finish 7th or 8th. That's an unreal thought.

No

That's not how a back three works. Both wing-backs have to be proper defenders. They also have to have the best stamina. Januzaj doesn't come close to qualifying on either count.

No
    It's funny all the jizz that has been blown in this thread over the purchases of van Persie and Mata and now nobody is able to come up with a sensible formation that fits all the players in to one team. If only this issue could have been seen in advance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement