Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No
    Also I never wanted him so im even more angry.

Didn't really want him either but could see reasons why SAF went for him and was willing too give him the chance to prove himself but he threw it away with that Fulham game.

Klopp 1st but knew it'd be hard to persuade him to leave Dortmund then it would of been Mourinho even though I don't like the attitude he has he knows what managing a big club is all about plus he doesn't hang around for long so would of lead hopefully to Klopp being ready too leave Dortmund. (Ah wishful thinking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    TheDoc wrote: »
    All the talk after the Fulham game let a little something slip through the radar.

Ravel Morrison being touted as possibly moving to QPR on loan. Has been out with injury lately, but Allardyce has publicly questioned the lads enthusiasm to complete for places.

Outlined the physios have said there is nothing that should inhibt Ravel from playing, and that he himself keeps saying he has a niggle here and there.

Questioned the players desire and professionalism to play at the highest level, and feels now that he's not a first team starter, he doesn't posses the attitude to work his way back in.

Was a very scathing and public(although calm and well articulated) summary of the fellas time at West Ham.

Felt SAF was 100% correct when he turfed him out and even more vindicated now.

Agree with ye there, Fergie was doing him a favour selling him, there was talk of a move to Fulham maybe hes taking the piss because he didnt get the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    user2011 wrote: »
    Didn't really want him either but could see reasons why SAF went for him and was willing too give him the chance to prove himself but he threw it away with that Fulham game.

Klopp 1st but knew it'd be hard to persuade him to leave Dortmund then it would of been Mourinho even though I don't like the attitude he has he knows what managing a big club is all about plus he doesn't hang around for long so would of lead hopefully to Klopp being ready too leave Dortmund. (Ah wishful thinking)

Klopp or even De Boer, lacks experience but has 3 league titles in 3 years could do a Mourinho with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No
    CSF wrote: »
    "A lot of people are looking at the Fulham game and saying we crossed it too much. If we hadn't crossed it they would be saying we should have crossed it more.
    "Anybody who watched the game the other day and didn't think we deserved to win by a hundred miles knows nothing about it."

This man is severely lacking in intelligence. His interviews are starting to like Staunton's.

For a minute there I thought these were your thoughts and I was gonna call you a fool but then realised it was Moyes. Ha. Even worse.

The fact he brushed off the 21 point difference from last season saying "I was at Everton" is the worst answer to any question ever. He just highlighted exactly why there's a points difference. It's Him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

CSF wrote: »
    "A lot of people are looking at the Fulham game and saying we crossed it too much. If we hadn't crossed it they would be saying we should have crossed it more.
    "Anybody who watched the game the other day and didn't think we deserved to win by a hundred miles knows nothing about it."

This man is severely lacking in intelligence. His interviews are starting to like Staunton's.

I keep expecting to see "potential banana skin" in one of his interviews at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I agree with everything he says. I was spitting venom at the end of that game and then all my in-laws arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

GSPfan wrote: »
    Can anyone remember the conversations from the Summer?

Here are a few topics that the majority of people got into arguements over....

(1) Evra is better than Baines!
    (2) United won the league easily, they will at least finish 3rd even if we have a nightmare! We could accept that for Moyes first season.
    (3) Minority - Moyes will be a disaster. Majority - No he won't, you're a disgrace to this forum. 2 years minimum.

Did many argue saying Evra was better than Baines? I thought it was more people not wanting to spend 15 to 20 million on a 29 year old left back.

No
    Thought Moyes was the wrong appointment, and was very vocal re. the mistakes I felt were being made. Stand by it now - he was the wrong appointment. I did think things would be better than they are, his first season in charge has been a far bigger disaster than I thought it would be, and his management of the team is worse than I thought it would be.

In fairness to you and a few others, you's haven't changed your stance one bit in this regard and there's been no real "I Told You so" moments from you either.
    I think you and Headshot have been pretty vocal on what you thought may happen and to the most part it has happened. And worse.

No
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    Did many argue saying Evra was better than Baines? I thought it was more people not wanting to spend 15 to 20 million on a 29 year old left back.

There was loads of stats put up with assists and all sorts. People were arguing Evra was every bit as good if not better. You are right though there was a huge debate about the price tag but mainly cause people couldn't see why you'd replace Evra with a player who wasn't as good and was two years younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

No
    once again woodward is talking about success not necessary to sell shirts.

someone on here was defending woodward before because they said they love the club.

this man and his principles are nothing to do with manchester united and it's pathetic imo, to support this man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Looking at your dream formations, I see no one has considered three at the back. Does anyone think that might work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

No
    Klopp or even De Boer, lacks experience but has 3 league titles in 3 years could do a Mourinho with him.

Simeone I would not say no to as well. Think it will all depend on what state A.Madrid are going to be in next year with sales of players in the summer if Madrid keep most of their stars I would be thinking he'll hang around for another year.

No
    You know who has a lot to answer for? ...... Fred the Red.

Walks around Old Trafford without a care in the world. I seen him smiling after the Fulham game. Does he even care. He has his kit on every week and I've yet to see him even come on as a sub. We need rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No
    I was in for all 3 really.

Didn't think Evra would be as bad - didn't think it was needed to spend 20million on a left back. I was wrong.

Thought United should be in 3rd or 4th, as an expectation. I think I said 3rd and decent cup runs would be a good season for us. Stand by that.

Thought Moyes was the wrong appointment, and was very vocal re. the mistakes I felt were being made. Stand by it now - he was the wrong appointment. I did think things would be better than they are, his first season in charge has been a far bigger disaster than I thought it would be, and his management of the team is worse than I thought it would be.

I feel exactly the same. I actually thought they'd start well after the hard games were out of the way and put up a good challenge, finishing third this year with lots of positivity going into next season.

I just can't believe how bad they have been.

There was loads of stats put up with assists and all sorts. People were arguing Evra was every bit as good if not better. You are right though there was a huge debate about the price tag but mainly cause people couldn't see why you'd replace Evra with a player who wasn't as good and was two years younger.

Stevie Wonder could see Baines is a level above Evra surprised people thought Evra was on par with him.

Their was no doubt Baines is and in the summer was a far better player than Evra. The fee was too high i would have rather signed Alex Sandro for similar money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Tonight I've decided to go to the pub to watch the match. At least I can drown any sorrows in style.

Watching it with a Chelsea fan though in a London pub that's popular with Arsenal supporters so it will either be a very good night or a very bad night.

Leftist wrote: »

someone on here was defending woodward before because they said they love the club.

this man and his principles are nothing to do with manchester united and it's pathetic imo, to support this man.

I don't care what his principles are. His job is to get United big money sponsorship deals and that is even more important with the loss of revenue without Champions League football next season. He is getting massive deals and doing a fantastic job on the financial side of the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Delboy5

From todays finance meeting, nothing new really i suppose....

jamie jackson‏@JamieJackson
    Top lines out of Woodward is #mufc can withstand no Champs League and will be more players in and out than normal this summer. #mufc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

Hidalgo wrote: »
    But its not in Utds hands. Even if they beat Liverpool at Old Trafford (I'm picking Liverpool as they're currently 4th), Utd still have to hope that Liverpool still f*ck up more games.

Very possible, but for Utd to get 4th, they need an amazing run themselves whilst simultaneously hoping other clubs lose and drop pts, and not just in the head to heads V Utd.

It's quite possible Liverpool will flounder, still plenty of games remaining, but if they do I can't see it being Utd that will benefit

If Liverpool, Arsenal, City and Chelsea win the rest of their games (with the exception of drawing with each other and for arguments sake drawing with us), then yes, of course we would not get fourth and thus are relying on Liverpool (or somebody) to drop points.

Looking over previous years, in and around 73 points usually gets fourth. That is assuming that the other teams drop the usual number of points. That is what I mean by we are not relying on Liverpool to implode.

I also want to point out, I never actually said I think we will go on this unbelieveable run, or get to 73 points. I am merely pointing out that fourth place is still possible, mathematically and statistically but would require title winning form. I think we have the quality to do this but I obviously don't think we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    Mata won a player of the month under AVB playing out wide. Mata has played out wide for us twice and has three assists in three games. Fitting him in is not a problem. RVP won us the league last season. We do need them.

Winning player of the month proves nothing.

Mata getting three assists does not change the fact that he is a compromise playing out wide.

RvP is no better a centre-forward than Rooney. We would win no fewer leagues with Rooney up top in the long run.

• Advertisement

• Tonight I've decided to go to the pub to watch the match. At least I can drown any sorrows in style.

Watching it with a Chelsea fan though in a London pub that's popular with Arsenal supporters so it will either be a very good night or a very bad night.
    Me 2, I can't take another midweek buzzkill on the couch. 4 - 6 pints of the black stuff and at least I will sleep easier :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No
    Spurs and Everton are not relevant to the discussion. If United's form were to improve enough to be in contention for top 4, Spurs and Everton would be out of the running by default. They don't need to bottle it, just carry on as they are.

I don't see how United going on a great run affects Spurs, or even Everton, the only games Uniteds form will matter to them is when they play them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    Mata's positioning isn't the problem - if you look at his average position it is infield. He is nominally a wide player in the formation but seems to be given freedom from that.

The problem is there is little link up play between RVP, Rooney and Mata. Not enough passing between the three.

The gameplan should be built around getting those three the ball in dangerous positions - rather than using those three to get the ball out wide to the full back or winger.

The lack of interplay between the three is very worrying, especially between Rooney and RVP. I assume they aren't deliberately ignoring each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Delboy5 wrote: »
    From todays finance meeting, nothing new really i suppose....

jamie jackson‏@JamieJackson
    Top lines out of Woodward is #mufc can withstand no Champs League and will be more players in and out than normal this summer. #mufc
    Albeit it isn't exactly anything new, it's encouraging to hear a United official come out and officially say these things.

No
    Like i asked how is it funny United fans jizzing over signing world class players. We don't make decisions on who we sign or how the team sets up. We want players bought for weaker positions but i don't see how it's funny that United fans get excited over signing two world class players. What i would find weird is United fans not being excited over signing world class players.

It's funny because those fans were so short sighted and now they're having to deal with the problems they were happy to have created at the club. We don't get to make the decisions on who the club buys, but we do get to argue for or against each signing. A lot of the fans on this thread have argued for the signings of both Mata and RvP (and other similar players like Falcao and Ozil) and now a lot of fans are coming up with unworkable formations trying to cram all the players into one team.

The transfer spending has been a mess over recent years and the fans who supported it are now stuck dealing with that mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

No
    I don't care what his principles are. His job is to get United big money sponsorship deals and that is even more important with the loss of revenue without Champions League football next season. He is getting massive deals and doing a fantastic job on the financial side of the club.

christ on a bike.

you think that the chairman's priority should be making money instead of allowing the club to slip that far in his first season?

he's an accountant, that sees united as a cash cow.

regardless of success, the priority for him is to sell merchandise.

and you think that's good for manchester united football club?

no wonder the club has lost it's soul. you're just a customer.

No
    K-9 wrote: »
    I don't see how United going on a great run affects Spurs, or even Everton, the only games Uniteds form will matter to them is when they play them.

Because the poster obviously feels if United do enough to catch Liverpool, Spurs and Everton won't have continued their greater pace. Considering the results United have had since the start of the year, the positions of Everton and Spurs are poor, and don't indicate their form is too good for us to catch; especially with regards to Everton - only 4 points ahead and we have to play them, so if we get our act together (I have no reason to believe we will) Everton should be easily catchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

No
    Ahead of United's big encounter with Arsenal on Wednesday night, Moyes was asked if he could explain why United were 21 points worse off than last season, with basically the same group of players.

He said: "Well, I was at Everton so I wasn't 21 points worse off. I was at Everton.

"The improvement in the teams in the Premier League has been big. There have been a lot of improvements from sides in the Premier League and obviously we've not done as well as we did last year.

Missed this yesterday but such a small time statement to come out with. Can someone please remind our manager he's manager of Manchester United, last years league champions.

• Mata's positioning isn't the problem - if you look at his average position it is infield. He is nominally a wide player in the formation but seems to be given freedom from that.

The problem is there is little link up play between RVP, Rooney and Mata. Not enough passing between the three.

The gameplan should be built around getting those three the ball in dangerous positions - rather than using those three to get the ball out wide to the full back or winger.

The lack of interplay between the three is very worrying, especially between Rooney and RVP. I assume they aren't deliberately ignoring each other.
    Sorry if I keep repeating myself but if Moyes woke up and prevented the wing backs from bombing forward constantly then tactically the above is feasible. It forces Carrick to play to feet, alowing Mata / Kagawa to find pockets of space that RVP can run into and then get a 1 - 2 going with Rooney. Even if he insists on the by-line tactic the above gives him a plan B if only he would mix it up a bit.

• Advertisement

• Missed this yesterday but such a small time statement to come out with. Can someone please remind our manager he's manager of Manchester United, last years league champions.
    I wonder does Moyes have 1 - 1's with Fergie? Surely he has got to give him some advice on his current tactics.
    That statement is a poor mans excuse.

No
    Mata's positioning isn't the problem - if you look at his average position it is infield. He is nominally a wide player in the formation but seems to be given freedom from that.

All that stuff will be easily fixed when we get a better manager imo.

The more serious problem with Mata's positioning, for me, comes with his relative lack of athleticism. He can cut inside all he wants when we're in possession, but that doesn't change the job required of a wide player defensively. He still needs to get back to help his full-back when the team are defending. He doesn't have the athleticism to get up and down the pitch like that.

If United ever become a proper possession team then we could carry Mata playing from wide and still benefit from his excellent skill on the ball. It wouldn't worry me too much, but I think it will always be a little bit of a compromise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    Can anyone remember the conversations from the Summer?

Here are a few topics that the majority of people got into arguements over....

(1) Evra is better than Baines!
    (2) United won the league easily, they will at least finish 3rd even if we have a nightmare! We could accept that for Moyes first season.

As has already been said, number one there is not quite accurate. It was never a matter of choosing between Evra and Baines, it was simply the fact that spending the reported sums of £20-25million on a 29 year old left back would have been a horrible decision. For all Evra has been abject this season, it still does not mean we should have spent that sort of money on Baines.

As to point two, my expectation for this season was a 3rd or 4th place finish. I don't think we would have seriously challenged for the title even if Fergie was still boss, so I expected a downturn in fortunes and was happy for that to happen.

But 7th, with the complete lack of anything resembling a long term plan? Hell no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

No Champions League football for Utd. Who'd have thought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's funny because those fans were so short sighted and now they're having to deal with the problems they were happy to have created at the club. We don't get to make the decisions on who the club buys, but we do get to argue for or against each signing. A lot of the fans on this thread have argued for the signings of both Mata and RvP (and other similar players like Falcao and Ozil) and now a lot of fans are coming up with unworkable formations trying to cram all the players into one team.

The transfer spending has been a mess over recent years and the fans who supported it are now stuck dealing with that mess.
    How in the blue hell is a fan wanting good players creating a mess at the club? The mess has and will continue to be there no matter who was bought if nobody is bought to address that mess.

You're really trying to pin the blame for not buying a midfielder on fans being delighted at buying RVP and Mata? Seriously?
    I'm glad that you're not stuck dealing with the mess though since you argued against buying world class players. How are United getting on in your parallel universe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I don't think I have "defended" him bar maybe asking for him to get some breathing room to operate. He is a shrewd man when it comes to business.

Sealing a transfer deal obviously is an entire realm to signing a business deal, but I think there is good evidence there to show he's doing some good work.

Champions league football for alot of clubs is mostly based around the financial implications. Not just the money from getting in it, but you get money as you progress through the tournament. Woodward has done some shrewd deals this year to negate the financial burden in the event we do miss out.

I appreciate not everyone knows or gives a flying **** about who is our latest pencil sponsor, but there is good evidence to support the logic in his appointment, and he is increasing revenues streams which is really important for us. As has been well documented now (albeit by observers more interested in the clubs finances then formations) the PIK and risk the Glazers took ultimately paid off, and revenue streams will be able to flow directly into the transfer fund for the club.

Many observers who are well versed in finance, indicated earlier this year the club would be able to punch with the big boys now in the transfer market, and in some cases blow them out of the water. I think the Mata deal was signal to that. 40+ million, for a pretty much out of the blue transfer.

We can all laugh and joke about Woodward and look I do appreciate it. But football has changed. Big clubs don't rely on fans revenue streams anymore (merits of that are a different debate) it's the corporate sponsorships that give a big club the finances to go complete for the biggest transfers. Woodward doing some good stuff in that regard, and it would be nice if he wwas appreciated for it.

I like how he has gone about his business relatively behind the scenes, isn't attracing spotlight ( like some Chief Execs) and the only time your hearing about this stuff is during official briefs via financial meetings or announcements, which is a great way to operate.

I notice we didn't see Woodwards face once around the Mata deal, not at the presser( maybe he was there, but pics didnt show him) not during Mata's arrival. He did the grunt work of that deal low key, off radar, out of the limelight.

a lot of people in his role would be out on the press conference desk, big smiles, with a "look what I did" sort of look about them ( Peter Kenyon ALWAYS did this and looked so ****).

I think he is learning his role faster then Moyes, and will be critical in the summer. All the stuff hes doing through the season is giving him confidence, and I hope the Mata deal( which to be fair was tough, a big profile player between tow big clubs) gives him the world of confidence to go deal with the Bayerns, Dortmunds and other high profile clubs of the world.

• Advertisement

No
    Because the poster obviously feels if United do enough to catch Liverpool, Spurs and Everton won't have continued their greater pace. Considering the results United have had since the start of the year, the positions of Everton and Spurs are poor, and don't indicate their form is too good for us to catch; especially with regards to Everton - only 4 points ahead and we have to play them, so if we get our act together (I have no reason to believe we will) Everton should be easily catchable.

Well I'd be surprised if ye don't finish higher than Everton. Spurs though are sticking the pace and not playing that particularly well, Liverpool can't shake them. I suppose Arsenal pipped them by a point last season, but that took title winning form, if not better in the New Year, so you are looking at doing an Arsenal, Spurs didn't really fall away.

That would back up the poster saying United going on a title winning run might just do it, even if the other teams keep roughly the same form they have now.

The only thing is teams from 3rd to 7th including United have more points than at the same stage last season. That points to probably higher than 73 points needed. Anyway, whatever about permutations tonight is a must win for ye to have a hope. The Fulham draw leaves very little wriggle room.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

christ on a bike.

you think that the chairman's priority should be making money instead of allowing the club to slip that far in his first season?

he's an accountant, that sees united as a cash cow.

regardless of success, the priority for him is to sell merchandise.

and you think that's good for manchester united football club?

no wonder the club has lost it's soul. you're just a customer.

Eh

The club lost its soul a long time before Woodward came to the club

The priority for any club is to make money, fans = customer base

He is a very astute negotiator of commercial deals, he has grown the commercial side unbelievably since he came in.

As a transfer negotiator he hasnt impressed, but thats another matter

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Albeit it isn't exactly anything new, it's encouraging to hear a United official come out and officially say these things.

Read more of his quotes here:
    More ins and outs than normal this summer...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/12/manchester-united-finance-champions-league-ed-woodward?CMP=twt_gu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'll put a gentlemans bet with you now that at least 1 of them will finish above us.

Our form will not improve enough to climb past 3 teams who are in good form. If they carry on as they are they all will finish above United.

Sure if we're just playing make believe then why not say we can win the Champions League if our form improves. Possible but improbable.

I think you misunderstand me. I am not under any illusions that United will finish above either of them, I simply disagree with the notion that the only way to get above them is if they 'bottle it'. United would easily get past them with 13 games to go if they continued to play as they are and United played to their ability.

If United's form improved, neither Spurs nor Everton would be a barrier to top 4, only the current top 4 would. Unfortunately, United's form doesn't look like improving.

No
    Well I'd be surprised if ye don't finish higher than Everton. Spurs though are sticking the pace and not playing that particularly well, Liverpool can't shake them. I suppose Arsenal pipped them by a point last season, but that took title winning form, if not better in the New Year, so you are looking at doing an Arsenal, Spurs didn't really fall away.

That would back up the poster saying United going on a title winning run might just do it, even if the other teams keep roughly the same form they have now.

The only thing is teams from 3rd to 7th including United have more points than at the same stage last season. That points to probably higher than 73 points needed. Anyway, whatever about permutations tonight is a must win for ye to have a hope. The Fulham draw leaves very little wriggle room.
    Don't get me wrong - I don't think United will get 4th, I predict 5th or 6th, depending on Spurs.

I think liverpool will drop points too, but not enough for United to catch them, as United will continue to drop points. I reckon, at this point, Liverpool will finish in clear 4th, many points ahead of 5th (or Arsenal will) - main point being 5th place won't be close to 4th points wise. I reckon 6 points or so will seperate.

I think United could finish behind Spurs (and Everton) but not down to the form of Spurs or Everton, imo, it will be down to United continuing to play poorly and drop points in games they shouldn't.

If United went on a decent run, including loses to City, Liverpool and Arsenal (to stay somewhat realistic with current performances), but beating the 'lesser sides' and sides around us, we'll take 5th. I just don't think we will go on that run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Tom Cleverly closed his twitter account today from abuse after admitting he's hurt from fan's comments and insults. Poor lad!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Tom Cleverly closed his twitter account today from abuse after admitting he's hurt from fan's comments and insults. Poor lad!!!

A pity, he was somewhat active and you'd get good behind the scenes pics.

Massive sympathy for a lad being destroyed by the clubs fans, club hes been with for years.

No
    How in the blue hell is a fan wanting good players creating a mess at the club? The mess has and will continue to be there no matter who was bought if nobody is bought to address that mess.

You're really trying to pin the blame for not buying a midfielder on fans being delighted at buying RVP and Mata? Seriously?
    I'm glad that you're not stuck dealing with the mess though since you argued against buying world class players. How are United getting on in your parallel universe?

It's very simple, good players come in all positions. Signing too many 9s and 10s has left the club in a mess where they don't all fit comfortably into one team and the transfer and wage funds have been wasted without addressing the proper needs. Arguing that signing those players is good for the club shows that you would make the same mistakes if you were in charge.

In the alternate reality where the RvP and Mata money was spent on central midfielders and left-backs United are doing much better I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

TheDoc wrote: »
    A pity, he was somewhat active and you'd get good behind the scenes pics.

Massive sympathy for a lad being destroyed by the clubs fans, club hes been with for years.

Treating one of your own club's players like that, no matter what their ability level, is a disgrace.

Doing it to anyone is a disgrace for that matter.

No

While that's not a nice thing to happen, Twitter is just an excuse for people to anonymously slaughter celebrities. Twitter brings out a disgusting side to people. He is better off without it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Thats not right getting personel stick of United fans and non fans alike.

Some of the comments I seen were shameful.

Lot of England fans had pop at him too. Actually they looked the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Treating one of your own club's players like that, no matter what their ability level, is a disgrace.

Doing it to anyone is a disgrace for that matter.

I remember when United Beat City 3-2 last season, it was a cracking game all round.

Tom was playing well that day, whatever way it was that we played. 4-5-1 type system. Packed midfield, lots of short passes...This suits him I Think.

No
    Don't get me wrong - I don't think United will get 4th, I predict 5th or 6th, depending on Spurs.

I think liverpool will drop points too, but not enough for United to catch them, as United will continue to drop points. I reckon, at this point, Liverpool will finish in clear 4th, many points ahead of 5th (or Arsenal will) - main point being 5th place won't be close to 4th points wise. I reckon 6 points or so will seperate.

I think United could finish behind Spurs (and Everton) but not down to the form of Spurs or Everton, imo, it will be down to United continuing to play poorly and drop points in games they shouldn't.

If United went on a decent run, including loses to City, Liverpool and Arsenal (to stay somewhat realistic with current performances), but beating the 'lesser sides' and sides around us, we'll take 5th. I just don't think we will go on that run.

You'd have to beat Liverpool and a draw in the Liverpool Spurs game would be the ideal to have a chance, both teams dropping points would be needed. That's assuming both teams keep on roughly their current level of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    You'd have to beat Liverpool and a draw in the Liverpool Spurs game would be the ideal to have a chance, both teams dropping points would be needed. That's assuming both teams keep on roughly their current level of form.

Ye should be more worried about Spurs and Everton then us now.

Im actually surprised to see how many Liverpool fans still wanting a draw tonight. United win and Liverpool have better chance of PL and Top 3 awaits in coming weeks with Arsenals tough run.

United are finished this season. If fans are still scared of us now they always will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

"It's fair to say we are focused on strengthening the squad. We are looking at some players in the squad as well that perhaps we will sell this summer. We wouldn't necessarily be looking to churn a huge number of players as that can have a destabilising effect, but we aren't afraid of moving in the market in a way that perhaps we haven't seen in recent years.

"If you look at historic numbers [of new players recruited in previous summers] that gives you one guide; if you look at historic churning of players by numbers that gives you another guide. Historically we've had roughly three purchases and three sales each year and it's possible that we would do more than that. But it is a dynamic situation and the market itself can throw up opportunities or the opposite of that as we go through the window."

Job.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement