Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

No
    Of course it's a wtf call if he's not allowed to do anything other than the thing which hasn't worked all season.

Which is essentially what's happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

No
    Surely if the players don't like his tactics or orders, they can say "**** this" and play their own game, we all know these players can play a lot better than this and surely that'd show Moyes that what he's doing isn't working if they got results. Or maybe I'm just being naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

No
    Headshot wrote: »
    My choices of managers would be Conte, Simeone and Klopp. Now they are a proper choice for a manager

Each have amazing C.V for their current respective team and a trophy haul to prove it.

They're the 3 I'd be going for too with Conte being the number 1 choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No
    Surely if the players don't like his tactics or orders, they can say "**** this" and play their own game, we all know these players can play a lot better than this and surely that'd show Moyes that what he's doing isn't working if they got results. Or maybe I'm just being naive.

I imagine they'd be subbed immediately. Rightly so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

If the players aren't happy with the style of play surely they would speak their mind,or is moyes the type of man to listen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The players realise the style can't change with the players we have currently (maybe Fellaini and Carrick hitting form can change this)

Exhibit A

fqQXp1U.png

Now ask yourself why the defence hoof it forward, and look at exhibit A again

* I am saying the midfield is the problem, not Cleverley alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

No

Would you actually like players like that at the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: 'Wilfried Zaha can be the next Cristiano Ronaldo'

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/cardiff-city/news/solskjaer-zaha-can-be-the-next-ronaldo_134847.html

No
    Would you actually like players like that at the club?

I may have phrased that wrong.

What I mean is, everything is too static and strict, the players are reluctant to try anything out of Moyes' orders (by the looks of it). Rather than completely ignore all tactics and undermine the manager, which is not what I meant to imply, just play with a bit more "expression" for want of a better word, be more daring and not be afraid to try things that could go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

No
    When's Fellaini expected to be back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Bit of a leap there from Ole :pac:
    At 21, his career and form would have to go into overdrive to get even halfway to Ronaldo's level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think it is a bit naive. 11 players doing their own thing is likely to be even worse than a team singing the same tune, even if it's a bad tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

No
    Bit of a leap there from Ole :pac:
    At 21, his career and form would have to go into overdrive to get even halfway to Ronaldo's level.

It does make you feel angry at Moyes for not giving him a shot and choosing the infinitely limp Valencia over him in almost every game.

Zaha might be a bit naive defensively but there were a lot of games this season where he could have been given a run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

Things are bad when you have to put forward the weather as an excuse for losing to Stoke.Not like United beat them in similar conditions at the start of December

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Any pics of other games from Clev?

Tbf the wind was ****ing mental and played a part in the generally awful passing situations coming out if the last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Its to be very sunny in Manchester for the Fulham game, that might not suit us either

No
    F.J. wrote: »
    Things are bad when you have to put forward the weather as an excuse for losing to Stoke.Not like United beat them in similar conditions at the start of December

Nobody here is putting the blame solely on the weather. However there is absolutely nobody out there that can tell me it didn't have a negative effect on the game as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I particularly disliked the reaction that guy got when he made a post about who to bring in and who to sell on. He must have spent a decent amount of time thinking actively about solutions to the squad, granted his figures were a bit ambitious, but there was a very snobby response that would put people of posting in here.

Are you on about the football manager looking one? Cas to be fair it did look very FM'ish and over the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

No
    Danger781 wrote: »
    Nobody here is putting the blame solely on the weather. However there is absolutely nobody out there that can tell me it didn't have a negative effect on the game as a whole.

Of course it had a negative effect, but it was the same for both teams was it not?

No
    Trilla wrote: »
    Are you on about the football manager looking one? Cas to be fair it did look very FM'ish and over the top

Well it's not like he made up the figures off the top of his head. Took the value off a reputable site. What more can a guy do?

• Advertisement

No
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Of course it had a negative effect, but it was the same for both teams was it not?

Stoke would be more adapted the conditions. Not to say it's like playing in the Antarctic, but they play there weekly. It's like how the Japanese play in horribly humid conditions and don't seem to be affected by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    Well it's not like he made up the figures off the top of his head. Took the value off a reputable site. What more can a guy do?

Sorry genuinely didn't know that, must have missed it...but I have to ask what is this site and what makes this sites valuation of this vast list of players so reputable/accurate?

No
    Trilla wrote: »
    Sorry genuinely didn't know that, must have missed it...but I have to ask what is this site and what makes this sites valuation of this vast list of players so reputable/accurate?

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/

Not saying the values are accurate, just they come from somewhere reputable. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Regardless of reputable or not, it's crazy to think we'll get more than 10m for the likes of Nani, who hasn't played consistently (on multiple levels) for a few years now, and who plays for a team that wants rid of him...

No
    Regardless of reputable or not, it's crazy to think we'll get more than 10m for the likes of Nani, who hasn't played consistently (on multiple levels) for a few years now, and who plays for a team that wants rid of him...

The 5 year contract comes into play..

No
    The 5 year contract comes into play..

That means he won't go for free. But I'd still be shocked if we got anything more than 10m for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Cleverley last league start, 2-1 loss to Spurs on New Year's Day

image_zps07eabb65.jpg

Almost a mirror of the Stoke game

fqQXp1U.png

City midfield in their last league game, 5-1 win at Spurs

Yaya
    image_zps14935116.jpg

Fernandinho
    image_zps3820e305.jpg

Now they're just passing stats.

Their movement and ball carrying is insane. IMO if we had two players like that we would be challenging for the league. I'm not singling out Clevs, Carrick has been shocking, Fellaini injured and Fletcher just back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kroos sat on the bench as an unused substitute last night as Thiago started again.

Pep obviously sees Thiago as his main CM longterm. Never in a million years would contemplate Kroos playing second fiddle to anyone.

Looked plenty annoyed last night as well at times on the bench.

Obviously it would seem we Didnt really do anything on Kroos this window.

If it keeps up...should go balls to the wall for him in the summer. Be telling in the next 3-4 weeks. If Kroos on the bench plenty a sign he's outbound and would be a major signing for us.

And to be honest further lementing my opinion of Pep when it comes to certain aspects of the managerial world ( that I'd be absolutely slaughtered for airing out loud)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    What site are them passing stats from, be interesting to see some of the other stats

• Advertisement

No
    What site are them passing stats from, be interesting to see some of the other stats

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone

No
    Thought this was one was fun.

0wtp.png

5 out of 34 attempted crosses were successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    The crossing at the weekend was brutal. sadly 2 of the successful crosses fell to Danny Welbeck too.

Bayern wouldn't sell Kroos in January even if United (or another team) put in a big bid. While Thiago is preferred they will still need him to win the Champs league. Especially when Thiago is coming off injuries.

He might force something in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    Thought this was one was fun.

0wtp.png

5 out of 34 attempted crosses were successful.

So many red lines.

It's almost....hypnotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Andow says all players want out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No

No, he didn't.

First of all, he said the players who have been there 7 or 8 years may want a change of scenery. It was a sensationalist headline, but I doubt you even read the headline as your post was twice as sensationalist as said headline, so I really don't know what you were at with that post.

No

We're gonna wake up some weekend and find we no longer have any players!!

Just moyes in his gear in goal.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    No, he didn't.

First of all, he said the players who have been there 7 or 8 years may want a change of scenery. It was a sensationalist headline, but I doubt you even read the headline as your post was twice as sensationalist as said headline, so I really don't know what you were at with that post.

Just jumping on the bandwagon :-p

We're gonna wake up some weekend and find we no longer have any players!!

Just moyes in his gear in goal.

I... actually think I'd pay to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

No
    Anderson a bit bitter maybe?

• Advertisement

Anderson a bit bitter maybe?

Maybe, maybe not. But what he actually said doesn't really tell us that.
    Anderson wrote:
    I am sure that lots of players want out, especially people like myself and Nani, who have been in Manchester for seven or eight years.

Manchester United is a huge club, a club that does everything for its players, but sometimes a footballer wants to leave just to experience a different way to play football and to learn something as well.

Playing in Manchester was great, it is a prestigious club with a lot of history.

But I was there for seven or eight years and I want to show Fiorentina my quality and fight for a spot in the starting line-up. I thank all Manchester United fans for their love, but I'm here to stay.

Translation: "Some players like Nani and I have been at the club a long time and aren't getting any games. We're not in Moyes' plans, in the summer there will be a clear out and we won't necessarily be sad about that since we want to play football. I'm at Fiorentina now, so I'm going to make it clear that I want to stay here in the hope that they will make the deal permanent in the summer."

Reading the quotes instead of the sensationalist headlines is worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Any pics of other games from Clev?

Tbf the wind was ****ing mental and played a part in the generally awful passing situations coming out if the last game.

Yes but its time to stop only focusing on Clev as our entire MF is sub par.

Clevs against Stoke again, his most forward passes all fail

fqQXp1U.png

Clevs against Spurs

Cleverley-Passes.png

A lot of them wide, backwards and deep.

Some might think that its a bit harsh that Clev always seems to get so much stick but when you consider that he is partnering a holding player like Carrick, it means attacks through the centre become almost non-existent. Its unforgiveable imo.

Here is Carricks 1st half passing from the Stoke game

fo1hEG2.jpg

This is also poor but Carrick is out of form and he is supposed to the holding player in the midfield double pivot and most of his passes are in his own half where as a lot of Clevs or about 50% are in the opposition half. Carrick is in decline, or has been at least this season, like so many of our players. Whether they have taken the foot off the pedal after so many years under Fergie and are too relaxed under Moyes is anyones guess but its very bad for our MF when Carrick is not playing well, we now have essentially no creativity.

If our MF wasn't bad enough the last thing we need is a poor Carrick to boot.

Here is Rooneys second half

TYhfjwh.jpg

Rooney was the most positive of all three but not by much and he is a forward not a MF. That gives us a clearer and grimmer picture of our MF.

We have no ability to push through the middle and create, none what so ever.

Here is Mata's game

XqB9teH.png

From this we can see he had a somewhat free role rather than that of a typical winger or the pure "wide" style a lot of people think Moyes is only capable of. Mata's most direct forward pass lead to a goal. We essentially need a player with this ability plus a box to box engine and the ability to push from further back.

I am still a little torn to whether this is Moyes style, when I say 'style' I mean in the sense of this being how Moyes wants us to play with the alternative being him feeling this is what he can do with whats at his disposal and him seeing us as so poor in the middle he dare not play there.

The evidence against Moyes is that Carrick had the most forward passes in Europe last season or maybe it was the season before. Is this is Carricks age and injuries catching up on him or Moyes instructing him to play mainly wide? I don't know.

The evidence for Moyes is that he allowed Mata to be free roaming and not be a typical winger to stay wide and pick up the ball, he wanted him to cut inside. Everton under Moyes were never this wide or this rigid. Moyes was giving time to build an Everton squad over years to his liking and got them playing well with a modest budget, he doesn't have 'his' own UTD team yet. He bought one MF who has been injured and I believe he can't get the players he wanted in January and is willing to wait until summer rather than buy stop gaps.

In Clevs defense UTD have always been a wide team so there is a need to recycle possession by simply being an a simple short passing option for a player by showing for it and then giving it wide

Take on board what Fletch has to say about being a UTD MF player at UTD
    “I think we still have creativity in midfield and certainly in the wider areas. Michael Carrick and I, we can create and so can others like Tom Cleverley and Anderson.

“But we have so many other jobs to do in the middle of the park. Because we have so many attacking players in wide areas and forward areas, we have different roles in the middle of the field.

“We have to defend. We have to provide back-up. We have to cover wide. We have to fill in for centre-halves who have been pulled out of position. We have to make sacrifice runs forward to make space. There is more to playing in the centre of midfield for Manchester United than solely creating.

“You couldn’t just play in there and not do the other duties as well. We’d suffer as a team if we didn’t do all those other things.
    So you can recognise the need in any team to recycle the ball and get it wide

Now have a look at other MF players. Here is Busquets, who is the holding MF player at Barca

against Valencia

3MOpHNh.png

against Malaga

gVfomvQ.png

A good balance of wide and forward passing and a lot in the opposition half.

In his last game Thiago set a record for the most touches of the ball (181) in one game.

Bff4WpAIcAEqhEP.jpg:large

These are slightly harsh to compare against not only Clev but our entire MF as it the Guardiola system but you can these player are fearless. Busqutes and Thiago will get so many passes in the opposition half because they will take on players and dribble past them and take risks. We have no players to do this.

Lets take another EPL MF player against us. Namely Ramires of Chelsea

x6q9afC.jpg

About 16 of his 21 passes made it but 14 or so were forward and 7 were in the opposition half, one of which lead to a chance. Again you need to run and beat players, Clev does not. He plays under a cloak of fear and would rather pas it back then risk the run or forward pass.

I have said Carrick is our best MF the past few seasons but given the competition its not big praise. This leads to Carricks entire worth being overated. He is not good enough for the top european or EPL squads.

People have been asking to see this forward set up a lot lately

Carrick/Fletch---Fellaini
    --Januzaj
    Rooney
    Mata

RVP

I'm not sure we will see this until Evra is replaced given his form. You need Young or even Val in there for cover on the other side given our wings backs form. Raf could do with some competition also imo.

Moyes tired in the summer for Coentrao and bid for Shaw this Jan so he recognises this weakness. Madrid got no cover for Coentrao and wouldn't sell so he tried for Shaw but was turned down. Its my belief he wants the width from two hard working wingbacks in both offence and defensive and the wide men of Mata and Januzaj to cut in with Rooney in the hole and two DMF that can play, giving us a solid five players that can interact centrally and supply a lone man of RVP and the width if needed come from the defenders.

Sorry for the long windedness but I couldn't stop once I started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Hate to say it but Chelsea doing us a favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    Right lads we're back in the title hunt lol

No
    Jose will win the title now, just to show us what we could have had :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

No

How?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No
    BflKKVACAAAsDOg.jpg:large

Guess we're officially a laughing stock.

No
    J. Marston wrote: »

That's not cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Erm..... What?

No
    J. Marston wrote: »

Well, thats a bit depressing..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement