Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

mada999 wrote: »
    dont worry about that

Get out to fcuk with that ****e :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

No
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I don't think you were wathcing BT Sports. Moyes was livid at Carrick for not playing it forward, they even zoomed in on his face.

Look at end the day the players are playing a system we settled for that draw long before the final attack.

He can pull all the faces he likes the ****er and his stubborn tactics have us playing the way we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Carrick was given a role tonight of protecting the back four in which he done ok.
    Yes I will give him credit for the defensive work he done tonight but he was poor on the ball and he doesnt show enough for it when we aretrying to play our way out

[/QUOTE]
    Carrick is a far better footballer than people give him credit for. Against Fulham he was told to play further forward and he scored and pinged passes none of our other midfielders could dream of.[/QUOTE]

Fulham were muck. He scored via a deflection. Pinged passes sideways but dont remember him creating anything.

The reason we are looking for more middle of the park players is because Carrick is so poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

No
    They played well when they were off the ball but again poor on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

MOTD will be good later anyway. Can't wait to see Liverpool's 5 goals against Fulham.

not five this time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No
    Anyone who says Cleverley played badly tonight hasn't a clue, he did well contributed a lot breaking up arsenal attacks.
    lordgoat wrote: »
    Cleverly and Carricks positioning tonight was actually very very good. When were the caught out? Worked well without the ball as a duo. Not saying he had a great game, but to say he was poor positionally is incorrect imo.

Thank god for these two, I was wondering what game I had been watching. Thought both Carrick and Cleverley were very decent.

Thought Vidic was dire, absolutely destroyed by Giroud, lucky in a few instances w.r.t the ref and beaten at a lot of set pieces.

Valencia was worse than I think I've actually even seen him before, and probably the worst performance by Rooney I've seen all season as well.

Mata was bad as well, but how you take him off and leave Rooney on can only be down to being afraid to withdraw Rooney due to backlash.

Lastly, can we revisit the "Januzaj is better at 18 than Messi was" thing again now? Oxlade-Chamberlain was better than him at the same age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    Look at end the day the players are playing a system we settled for that draw long before the final attack.

He can pull all the faces he likes the ****er and his stubborn tactics have us playing the way we are.

Rooney Mata and Young all hoofed it up instead of playing ball, its horrible and thats Moyes for ye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Jaysus that's incredible! :pac:

Hes not near Brian Clough at Leeds, but he's up there with Hodgson at Liverpool for managers that have no clue how to deal with the situation they are in. Its a shame as I think he's a good man, its just not the position for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Was funny at the end where the team had clearly made a note to not conceding late, to play some keep ball instead. But when that last opportunity to attack opened and the players stuck to the plan Moyes was on the sideline like 'what are ye at?!, attack!' then ye could see him correcting himself as if to say 'oh yeah, told them not to attack at the end...' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Cleverly and Carricks positioning tonight was actually very very good. When were the caught out? Worked well without the ball as a duo. Not saying he had a great game, but to say he was poor positionally is incorrect imo.

Rooney wasn't great tonight, he seems to have lost some of his drive, but that could be due to being a bit wrecked. Great ball to RVP but he gave it away a fair few times too.

Sorry I'm not talking about positioning defencively.. I even said he made some important tackles tonight. I mean going forward, developing play.. he's playing where the hearbeat of this team should be. He's so static when showing for the ball.. standing there with his arms out while theres an opposition player about a metre away from him clearly anticipating stealing the pass. Saw countless examples of this tonight and his own players choosing not to pass to him in the central positions he was taking. It's the biggest aspect of his play I hate.

• Advertisement

I hate this ****e. We are less than a minute from taking a point off Arsenal away. We've had pretty much one chance in 45 mins of football and all of a sudden we are going to score?? I was delighted we managed to see out a game and not concede. When was the last clean sheet lads? It was more important to not lose that game than anything else. 4 points off Arsenal. Pity we didn't manage that or half that at some of the teams below us.

He was under no pressure and had players in front of him is space. It was cowardly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Thank god for these two, I was wondering what game I had been watching. Thought both Carrick and Cleverley were very decent.

Thought Vidic was dire, absolutely destroyed by Giroud, lucky in a few instances w.r.t the ref and beaten at a lot of set pieces.

Valencia was worse than I think I've actually even seen him before, and probably the worst performance by Rooney I've seen all season as well.

Mata was bad as well, but how you take him off and leave Rooney on can only be down to being afraid to withdraw Rooney due to backlash.

Lastly, can we revisit the "Januzaj is better at 18 than Messi was" thing again now? Oxlade-Chamberlain was better than him at the same age.

Little bit harsh on Vidic but agree with everything else. It was battle after battle with Giroud of which he won a few

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

irishfeen wrote: »

Get innnnnnnn Stevie :)

No
    irishfeen wrote: »

Stop biting and quoting! I just blocked him :)
    Then I had to see it again :mad:

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

They looked like they worked well in the 2nd half as they were never more than 5 yards away from each other,in the first half Cleverley tried to be the link player between Carrick & our front men but failed at that,we ended up with a massive hole in midfield.Hence the lumping the ball forward stuff that happened time & again.

Let's not big up any performance because it was Arsenal,they were poor and a team better set up against them would have taken them to the cleaners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No
    Trilla wrote: »
    Little bit harsh on Vidic but agree with everything else. It was battle after battle with Giroud of which he won a few

Yeah I've noticed a few people saying the opposite to what I thought, sometimes different people get different ideas into their heads about players during games but I thought he was beaten all ends up.

• Nice, put words in my mouth :rolleyes:

I think Moyes told the players that they were not to lose the match, and also that they were not to do anything that would risk giving Arsenal a way back in. For the majority of the second half, Moyes seemed content with our lack of pushing forward. Our main attacking outlet was to hoof the ball up from our box and see if our players got on the end of it.

So after instructing the players to play that way for the previous half hour...he's shocked when they continue to play that way for the final 30 seconds?

Moyes played for the draw. 30 seconds from the end isn't the time to start throwing a strop about settling for the draw. If he wanted that goal so badly, why wasn't he getting that angry far, far earlier in the game, and sorting out our tactics to be more aggressive?

Apologies if my manner is off but realisitcly we were never going to do a 'Liverpool' on Arsenal...unless RVP converted in the first 5 mins from a dire pass from Arteta.

In fairness his tactics this evening had a twist and he tried to see if we could catch Arsenal on the counter..and we nearly did..but both teams looked like they couldn't afford to take the extreme risks of pushing too many forward so it was so hard to find any space. The midfiled was way to packed. I counted about 8 players at once stage in a 3 yard radius.
    And I can understand why with the ****ty results that both teams have had recently.
    Wenger is at just as much fault as Moyes for playing cagey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

City and Liverpool coming up in the next 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

mada999 wrote: »
    not five this time...

No Liverpool managed 3 goals in 90 minutes and only just over a dozen crosses, that's one goal for every 4 crosses, not one goal for every 42 :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    Apologies if my manner is off but realisitcly we were never going to do a 'Liverpool' on Arsenal...unless RVP converted in the first 5 mins from a dire pass from Arteta.

In fairness his tactics this evening had a twist and he tried to see if we could catch Arsenal on the counter..and we nearly did..but both teams looked like they couldn't afford to take the extreme risks of pushing too many forward so it was so hard to find any space. The midfiled was way to packed. I counted about 8 players at once stage in a 3 yard radius.
    And I can understand why with the ****ty results that both teams have had recently.
    Wenger is at just as much fault as Moyes for playing cagey.

Don't get me wrong, my first post-match comment was that if we ignore form, it's a good result for United. And tactically, Moyes got exactly what he set out for; the tactics he chose for tonight worked to a tee.

It's just that...
    1. It's not the tactics that United down in 7th needed to be playing.
    2. There's no point him throwing a strop on the sideline because his team are following the instructions he had them following for the rest of the game.

Both teams were happy with the draw, so Moyes got what he wanted. It's just not the type of performance that the fans wanted. It's not that I wanted to "Do a Liverpool", but just as I've wanted all season, I wanted to see that the team at least wanted to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    I used to act the prick in the Liverpool thread. I got carded and learned my lesson...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

No Liverpool managed 3 goals in 90 minutes and only just over a dozen crosses, that's one goal for every 4 crosses, not one goal for every 42 :D

Who cares?

Im sure there is a place for discussing Liverpool on the site

I used to act the prick in the Liverpool thread. I got carded and learned my lesson...

You will find moderation in some threads an awful lot more heavy handed then others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Didn't realise the City and Pool games are at OT, surely Moyes has to go for it in both games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

No
    3 games into 5 that we had said would define the season.

2 points from the first nine. Just get out David, please.

No
    Didn't realise the City and Pool games are at OT, surely Moyes has to go for it in both games

He'll be quite happy to go for a draw.

Problem is, City and Liverpool will not show us half the respect Arsenal did tonight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    VW 1 wrote: »
    Just get out David, please.

Ha. Just read your sig below straight after this. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    kryogen wrote: »
    You will find moderation in some threads an awful lot more heavy handed then others

Yep, that's kind of my point.

• Advertisement

No

Ha!

We'll get a draw at most and be told on here its a great result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Thought Vidic had a below average night tonight. He gets bullied far too often by big guys which is something that never happened to him. I actually thought Carrick had a good game and despite breaking out in hives while thinking it, Cleverley wasn't as anonymous as usual although his distribution was akin to wanting rid of a hot potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

No
    adox wrote: »
    Ha. Just read your sig below straight after this. :pac:

Haven't logged in on the full site in about 2 years, from last memory it's a Phil Jones one!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No
    Have to say that was the biggest pile of **** I have seen in my life.

Another hopeless ****ing performance full of some hopeless individuals followed by more hopeless tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No
    Quite pathetic from moyes. You have nothing to lose, go for the ****ing win. I rather lose than not actually go for the win

• Don't get me wrong, my first post-match comment was that if we ignore form, it's a good result for United. And tactically, Moyes got exactly what he set out for; the tactics he chose for tonight worked to a tee.

It's just that...
    1. It's not the tactics that United down in 7th needed to be playing.
    2. There's no point him throwing a strop on the sideline because his team are following the instructions he had them following for the rest of the game.

Both teams were happy with the draw, so Moyes got what he wanted. It's just not the type of performance that the fans wanted. It's not that I wanted to "Do a Liverpool", but just as I've wanted all season, I wanted to see that the team at least wanted to win.

I totally agree with point 1;

I don't think it's the tactics he needed given our position but a more offensive minded plan and he would have risked another loss and that
    was his mindset.

I would have only wished he played more offensive through the middle with some quick passing and interplay between Rooney / RVP but this was never going to happen due to the fact I haven't seen it happen since Fergie.
    I'm just judging on Moyes over the season so far.

As for the second point, Carrick is his own man and also had nothing to loose in the dying seconds he could have taken the initiative, pro footballers are not robots.
    And that's why Moyes flipped out regardless of pre-match instruction. He was giving instruction throughout, who are we to guess and say he didn't tell him to do something different mid-game.

• Advertisement

No
    I'm just judging on Moyes over the season so far.

So am I :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    VW 1 wrote: »
    Haven't logged in on the full site in about 2 years, from last memory it's a Phil Jones one!?

#philjonestakover :)

Heat maps here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/matchzone/index.html#s2013-c8-m695151

Look at Rooney & RVP's positioning,no wonder they rarely linked up playing so far apart.

Valencia's is shocking,a winger who spends so much time in the same place he'd burn a hole in the pitch.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    Giruilla wrote: »
    Sorry I'm not talking about positioning defencively.. I even said he made some important tackles tonight. I mean going forward, developing play.. he's playing where the hearbeat of this team should be. He's so static when showing for the ball.. standing there with his arms out while theres an opposition player about a metre away from him clearly anticipating stealing the pass. Saw countless examples of this tonight and his own players choosing not to pass to him in the central positions he was taking. It's the biggest aspect of his play I hate.

Fair enough, but imo he was told to stay close to Carrick and pack that area, a point you emphasis was better in the second half, would it seem likely he was told to tighten up at half time and stop getting forward - edit it was zerksy that said this apologies!. He frustrates the hell out of me but tonight I thought he had a good solid game.
    Robson99 wrote: »
    He was under no pressure and had players in front of him is space. It was cowardly

Ya cowardly, not like the warrior Vidic who tried to pick out a player in the last minute against Fulham instead of playing it safe. :rolleyes: I suppose if Vidic had headed the ball clear and we had won the game you'd be labelling him cowardly too?

No
    I dont think there was a positive from tonight. We kept a clean sheet. That was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

No
    I dont think there was a positive from tonight. We kept a clean sheet. That was it.

Still the fight for fourth is hardly over is it?

Yep, that's kind of my point.

Just drawing further attention to the lack of consistency

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Tonight was the first time i can remember a match against a top team that i found hard to get excited about while watching it. The tactics being employed by Moyes are making these games absolutely unwatchable. Arsenal were there for the taking tonight and we settled for a point. In injury time we had a break where Rooney ran at the Arsenal defence and I think we had a 3v3 situation. Instead of playing the killer ball to RVP he played the less risky ball out to Adnan and it ended up with players afraid to take responsibility and the ball going back to Ferdinand. The fear of losing looked like it had infected the whole team and instead of taking a gamble and trying to win it they seemed more afraid of losing. In tonights game, against Spurs away and Chelsea at home the opposition were there to be beaten but we bottled it and played it safe. Thats a shocking indictment of our current state. I hate to say it but I dont think Moyes has the balls to take a chance in the big games. He is feeling the strain and doesnt want to risk another loss in a big game.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No

I think this is huge!! When's the last clean sheet? Been far too few of them.

End of the day, 4 points from Arsenal over a season is better than decent.

Ya cowardly, not like the warrior Vidic who tried to pick out a player in the last minute against Fulham instead of playing it safe. :rolleyes: I suppose if Vidic had headed the ball clear and we had won the game you'd be labelling him cowardly too?

Vidic is a center half and a very good one. Carrick is supposed to be a midfield player who creates things but he is a very average one

We didn't even win the crossing.

Arsenal 22 - United 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No
    Decent result. Dire, unimaginative performance again.

People can argue for which player did what wrong, the truth is the manager is the problem. His sacking can't come quick enough.

No
    I think this is huge!! When's the last clean sheet? Been far too few of them.

End of the day, 4 points from Arsenal over a season is better than decent.

Shame about the rest of the points we dropped!

No
    Still the fight for fourth is hardly over is it?

The fight for 4th has been over since the Stoke game.

2 points from possible 9.

• Still the fight for fourth is hardly over is it?
    Over by a mile :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement