Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

zerks wrote: »
    Our midfield 'link man' passed the ball to the fullback more than any other player in the first half tonight,any more expansive passes were unsuccessful.Cleverley gave the impression of doing well,seems like he's good at doing impressions of a footballer.
    To think he was touted as the next big thing not so long ago,he's slowly but surely turning into another Carrick.The safe option is the default setting for these 2.Ideal for Moyes I suppose.

Safe option is what Moyes is asking them to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

The man has inherited a side in decline. Vidic/Rio leaving then Evra probably playing as bad as he ever has in his career. Midfield of Carrick and Cleverly. Giggsy finished. It is a team in transition. Needs time to rebuild the team in his image, he has not become a bad manager overnight he always had Everton solid. Once he gets his own players in and spends a summer getting them to gel should be back in form.

SAF says he needs time and deserves at least a season. The man who took over for SAF was alwyas gona have an impossible job.

"In his image"?

Holy Moses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Moyes has his faults but we can't lay blame for everything at his door. I doubt he tells players not to play forward passes into centre mid or the number 10 area. Cleverly makes his own choices out there and is a crab, plain and simple. I doubt Moyes tells evra just to trot back when united are being hit on the counter, though he is responsible for making it clear pre-season that he'd replace evra in a heartbeat yet never did. I also doubt he instructs Valencia to approach a full-back and then pause for an eternity before playing the ball backwards.

He is responsible for not playing mata in a position where he can really influence a game. If RVP, Rooney and Mata are to play in the same team 4-4-2 is not an option

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Cleverley has already spoke about being asked to play differently. He didn't play this way before the current season.

Moyes is 100% to blame for the strategy his players are using on the field. It's very restrictive.

That is from someone who thinks Moyes was criticised too much at the start of the season and was fully behind his appointment. As the season has gone on his safe mentality and strategy has actually become more restrictive when I expected the opposite to happen as the season went on.

Agree on Evra, he has played like that for a while now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I would take at Pat Fenlon over Moyes at this stage. At least Fenlon showed fight on sidelines and could give half decent interview and admit when they were ****.

I said it at start that he deserved a season. I changed that in past 6 weeks from getting knocked out to Sunderland and Swansea in both Cups at home to the humiliation of drawing to Fulham.

It would be a dream come through to see Moyes sacked or walk out in the morning. Deep down I know that aint going to happen, but my God I jump for joy to see him **** off now.

My god Moyes has managed to drag down Kew_Tour....

Here's something to consider, if we do not beat Olympiakos in the next round of Europe should the #MoyesOut campaign start the alarm bells ringing out loud??

They sold their best player Mitroglu to Fulham, so should be emminently beatable..but at present its hard to know if its even possible.

I've said i'm in the Moyes out camp if things don't improve by 31st of August..but if we don't manage to get through v Olyympiakos to the QF's of the CL I think i'll be bringing that date forward

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Agree on Evra, he has played like that for a while now

This seems the case alright

What is it that Valencia and he have over Moyes in that they play repeatedly despite being terrible?? Valencia last night beats his man and puts in a cross but hits the first defender:mad: and its not as if its the first time....
    Zaha supposedly does the deed with Moyes daughter and gets banished and sent to Cardiff...maybe Valencia and Evra should try that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No
    "The man who took over for SAF was always gonna have an impossible job."

Do people honestly believe that whats happening this season is/was unavoidable no matter who was in charge. I get that feeling in some discussions with people. 5 years in a row we either won the league or got within a whisker and now this...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    It was always going to be hard, but that's why I think most expected to drop from champions to Top 4 challengers.

I don't think many fans thought it would be a laboured 7th position with such turgid performances which, amazingly, are getting worse as time goes on...

It was always going to be hard, but that's why I think most expected to drop from champions to Top 4 challengers.

I don't think many fans thought it would be a laboured 7th position with such turgid performances which, amazingly, are getting worse as time goes on...

Agreed 100% with this Shadow, exactly what i thought would happen, but reality has been worse

No
    The only attempt at a positive spin I can put forward is that maybe if we regressed this season but got 4th spot comfortably that upcoming squad investment would not be as dramatic as what seems likely to happen now. Maybe in the long run that is a necessary and good thing.

EDIT: Thats in no way excusing the current mess but looking for some good to come from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    Simple fact is that I don't trust Moyes to use the right players in the right way. His use of Mata is extremely worrying. Mata should have been, imo, that start of seeing what Moyes' plan was - I fear it actually is, and 442 with players just put into roles regardless of their suitability or talents.

Really can't see any reason Moyes is giving us to get behind him - he offers no hope, no indication something better is planned. It is like watching Ireland under trap, very seldom I have actually enjoyed a United game this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No
    When moyes was appointed i was wholeheartedly behind him as i said and im sure people would agree dont panic we are best club in world the infrastructure is tgere so moyes can build the club confidently going forward...

How wrong was i?

Moyes has not shown any signs of improvement at all. He cleared out a successful backroom staff and brought his owb staff in which was a terrible idea imo.. his management style is terrible so negative its stupid. No plan b no plan c and to a point doesnt know what his first team is so no plan a..

This season has been heartbreaking to watch. The flair united had disappeared i used to love united chasing down last 15 of a game it was brilliant to watch now the football is a pile of dung..

I cannot say it louder now

MOYES OUT

No
    However much I want Moyes gone, if the board haven't seen fit to sack him at this point, they simply aren't going to for the next while. He hasn't been sacked after the disgraceful performances and results from January (combined with a poor season leading up to it) so he won't be sacked before the end of the season - and at that point I reckon they will give him the summer window and first half of next season at least. Unfortunately, because the guy is clearly struggling and has no clue how to fix the issues.

No
    However much I want Moyes gone, if the board haven't seen fit to sack him at this point, they simply aren't going to for the next while. He hasn't been sacked after the disgraceful performances and results from January (combined with a poor season leading up to it) so he won't be sacked before the end of the season - and at that point I reckon they will give him the summer window and first half of next season at least. Unfortunately, because the guy is clearly struggling and has no clue how to fix the issues.

I'm hoping for performance related get out clauses in Moyes contract so either he goes when top 4 is mathematically not possible or else at the seasons close. Wishful thinking maybe :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    Is he sacked yet :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No

Surely sir alex will have to intervene....

Moyes has taken the heart out of the club...

He is a ****e manager lets be honeat and im talking about his management skills not him as a person btw...

Jose leave chelsea hopefully if they dont win champ league well they tend to sack managers if they do win european cup and if they lose european cup...

Is klopp really the answer? United should have tried to sign pep... what were they doing picking moyes... what sensible man suggested moyes surely sir alex didnt solely pick him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

Surely sir alex will have to intervene....

Moyes has taken the heart out of the club...

He is a ****e manager lets be honeat and im talking about his management skills not him as a person btw...

Jose leave chelsea hopefully if they dont win champ league well they tend to sack managers if they do win european cup and if they lose european cup...

Is klopp really the answer? United should have tried to sign pep... what were they doing picking moyes... what sensible man suggested moyes surely sir alex didnt solely pick him..

This is the first season since Abramovich took over where I think everybody is confident that if the manager wins nothing he will be kept on. From a Mourinho point of view, he has said several times he wants to stay at Chelsea for a long time.

Pep had signed for Bayern by the time Fergie announced he was gone.

As for sacking Moyes now? I see no point, there is nobody out there who can take over for the rest of the season and build something. Even if Klopp came in in the summer, it would take him 2 seasons to get the right players to play the football he wants, it would need a complete overhaul to play that high energy football. I'm all for Moyes getting the summer transfer window to build a team he wants but every week I am becoming more and more alarmed by his archaic tactics.

No
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    I'm hoping for performance related get out clauses in Moyes contract so either he goes when top 4 is mathematically not possible or else at the seasons close. Wishful thinking maybe :(

I'd imagine any such clauses won't kick in till the final whistle is blown on the final day of the season, or before a set date (if he started June 1st, I'd imagine it's May 31st). It's the only reason I can hope for that he's not been booted yet.

Of course, the problem then comes that if we have to wait till then, no new manager can come in before June 1st, and we're back to square one with "Got to examine the team", "Need time to see who is available".

Realistically, I'd have loved to see them announce a new manager soon, so he can spend the next few weeks/last few games examining the team and start doing the work as quickly as possible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Why are they announcing they plan to send in the Summer? Won't that drive up prices?

No
    Why are they announcing they plan to send in the Summer? Won't that drive up prices?

World and its mother knows how desperate we are. Prices are already going to be stupidly high (and people need to prep for that now, cause come summer, any player we do buy IS going to be overpriced). No point acting ignorant and looking stupid in the build up to the summer by pretending we won't be buying though. May as well admit it and try to appease the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    I know football is a funny old game. but if I ever change jobs then I hope I get the David Moyes treatment at my new place. By almost every standard you can imagine the man is doing a terrible job, results, performances, transfers, player morale, everything he is responsible for is currently an unmitigated disaster

But instead of hearing the words "David, this isn't working out", instead he is told "Have more time and money David, it will all come good eventually".

Imagine I started a new job running a shop, 8 months later profits are way down, the place is a mess and the staff hate me. I'd be sacked and rightly so. But not in David Moyes world, there I would be told, "Its ok, it will all work out, here, have some more money to spend".

If I started a new job as a project manager and 8 months later we were behind schedule with everything going to hell and a massive problem with the programmers, then I would expect any competent business to terminate my contract. Not in David Moyes world, there I would be told "We can't see what your plan is, but we know it will come good eventually, here is some money to get more programmers in". I would then spend that money on another events organiser, because feck fixing the obvious problems first.:pac:

Its very strange. There have been no positives all season, it has been negatives right from the word go. In what world but football could somebody get away with doing such a piss poor job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Who do we get to replace Moyes ???

I don't think he should be sacked until he at least has a chance to put his own stamp on the team, he is still working with a team even Sir Alex hadn't got the heart or energy to rebuild lol :D

He was landed in the deep end by Ferguson, given the seal of approval on one hand but handed the worst United team of the last 26 years to rebuild, i don't think there is another manager around that would have done much better than Moyes in the short time he's been there,we'd be a bit closer to 4th place at best.

Where do you think we would be in the league if Ferguson was still in charge? do you think we'd be top 4? you're having a laugh. Ferguson knew what was coming, with the team needing rebuilding and Chelsea and City reinforcing he protected his own ego by standing down (which is what he did for most of his 26 years in charge)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Taok wrote: »
    Then 87-88 finishing 2nd and a classic 3-3 draw at Anfield, 88-89 beating them 3-1 at Anfield. The next year lots of signings and a 4-1 victory over Arsenal on the opening day.

Wasn't that at Old Trafford??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I know football is a funny old game. but if I ever change jobs then I hope I get the David Moyes treatment at my new place. By almost every standard you can imagine the man is doing a terrible job

Football is not the real world. How many people outside of football get paid millions to kick a pig's bladder around a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

No
    Wasn't that at Old Trafford??

Oops yes, typo thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

We shouldn't of hired Moyes but we have and we're probably going to stick with him. He's out of his depth and yesterday he showed that. He needs to start putting a serious run together otherwise he has to go.

No
    tossy wrote: »
    Who do we get to replace Moyes ???

I don't think he should be sacked until he at least has a chance to put his own stamp on the team, he is still working with a team even Sir Alex hadn't got the heart or energy to rebuild lol :D

He was landed in the deep end by Ferguson, given the seal of approval on one hand but handed the worst United team of the last 26 years to rebuild, i don't think there is another manager around that would have done much better than Moyes in the short time he's been there,we'd be a bit closer to 4th place at best.

Where do you think we would be in the league if Ferguson was still in charge? do you think we'd be top 4? you're having a laugh. Ferguson knew what was coming, with the team needing rebuilding and Chelsea and City reinforcing he protected his own ego by standing down (which is what he did for most of his 26 years in charge)

So you think Fergie wouldn't have got a top four position with the team he walked the league with last year (plus additions). I think it is you who is having a laugh.

As for Moyes not putting his stamp on the team - the midfielders have become more limited, and he has signed a world class attacking midfielder and has played him on the wing, and shown no indication of being able to get himself, Rooney and RVP working together. He has put his stamp on the team - it is crap.

This bollox that the squad needed a complete overhaul is rediculous. It needed top players, yes, but fact is moyes isn't getting close to a proper performance from the squad this season - he isn't getting the most from the players he has, that is poor management.

People saying Fergie sold him up the river or gave him a hospital pass... BS. He was given the league champions and has them struggling in 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No
    If Fergie was currently in charge with these results and performance we'd be nearly all calling for him to go, things are that bad.

United have not scored 4 goals in a league game since the opening day of the season, that says it all really.

No
    Taok wrote: »
    The next year lots of signings and a 4-1 victory over Arsenal on the opening day.

The well remembered Michael Knighton "takeover"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well some thought from last night.

Arsenal are league contenders, frequent leaders and have been imperious at home this season. They hadn't conceeded a goal in god knows how long, and had been scoring regularly at home.
    Coming of the back of a 5-1 drubbing, it made sense to fear a backlash.

Both teams definitly didn't want to loose and showed that through tentitive passing, loose passing and a large focus on defending. Neither side REALLY stretched themselves, we had a handful of attempts, Arsenal got on top for periods, but overall neither team carved out excellent chances in abundance.

We looked to be compact and organised defensively, and try break onto Arsenal. They arn't a counter attacking team at all. I mentioned in a post yesterday that Arsenal in recent weeks are being little exposed with their lack of pace, and their slow build up play can be somewhat easy to get organised against, and they rely too heavily now on intricute one twos, like Arsenal of old.
    Unfortunately our only pace in breaking was Valencia, or Rooney when he dropped deep. Anytime we did seem to break, Arsenal had plenty back, neither team really stretched the play.

I mentioned yesterday that I wouldn't be suprised if Cleverly started. Arsenal are not a combative midfield, but Cleverly has some good traits in his stamina and ability to press the ball. Yes I know he has been caught out a few times this season, but I feel overall he does a decent job pressing and harrassing other midfielders. He was alongside a somewhat satic Carrick, against three highly dynamic midfielders in Corzola, Ozil and Wilshire, with Rosicky coming central and Arteta there aswell. It was 2v5 at times. Cleverly make some good tackles, good interceptions and on a number of occasions nipped the ball from Arsenal. He also at times pushed forward to press the the team moved forward aswell, we had a sustained 10-15 minutes in that first half of high pressure, that Cleverly caused. He attempted two of three darts forward, that while didn't pay off, there was some signs that he can do it, but he's under certain instructions. Overall a decent performance and I'm somewhat happy for him after the spotlight he has been getting, he made some good interceptions and broke up play that in reality, Fellaini was bought to do, so he's doing something not natural to him, but did well against what is a highly dynamic midfield.

Ozil as mentioned yesterday, fell flat again. Simply struggling now at the tail end of the season, and it's down to fitness. Something I've always queried about him was his engine, his stamina, and like Real before Arsenal, it's starting to show. He doesn't have the engine to go for 90 minutes and simply just get's nackered. Not sure if he doesn't look after himself, or maybe has some sort of condition, but he just falls flat in games so often. I'd say if you dig out the stats there will be some evidence for this. Maybe needs time to adjust to the premier league, not having a winter break can be tough. But at the same time this is the issue that sidelined him from Madrid, how he just get's nackered after 60 minutes of play.

Vidic was really powerful last night, doing what he does best. He had a great battle with Giroud that swung back and forth. Did alot to dispell some murmurs that he was " at the right time to leave" and made up for a pretty poor display against Fulham.

The game itself was poor, and Arsenal were for the taking, but to a certain extent so we're we. We need to appreciate the situation here. We are a team shot of confidence, struggling to carve consistent chances and were playing against league contenders who are stonkingly strong at home this season. We could see Arsenal for the taking, but we need to appreciate the current mindset and form of our team, and I can see why we couldn't capitalise. We havnt been sucking teams in this year and smashing them on the counter like old. All in all while a win was really required, a draw isn't a bad result. The defense was MUCH better, there was some signs of intricute play, and it was another game with Mata, Rooney and RVP together, which needs time to find each others feet.

I can appreciate some might feel it was a poor result and another shoddy display, but I am relatively happy on reflection. RVP takes one of his two sitters and we have done a snatch and grab at one of the toughest grounds to win at this season. In fact RVP takes his sitters yestrday, and at Fulham, we are six points from two games, and probably talking about a turnaround. I'll give him a pass since he is only back recently, but really was sinful, especially the header. The ONE place the keeper would have a chance, his near post, and RVP puts it there :(

Maybe more misguided optimism from me, but happy with the result, the defence get's a clean sheet under it's belt, and I hope that we can take our chances now going forward, and use this to build on. It's absolutely NO POINT if we go to our next game and mess it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

No
    Nothing annoys me more than people defending Moyes by bashing players who have actually delivered trophies for the club, and our greatest ever manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Liam O wrote: »
    Yep. People make statements without watching the games. I'm convinced of it now.

Thank you! I was thinking whats the point in even responding to a statement like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Unearthly wrote: »
    Nothing annoys me more than people defending Moyes by bashing players who have actually delivered trophies for the club, and our greatest ever manager.

Exactly right. The question should be how can a man take runaway league winners plus adnan, fellaini and mata and be languishing 11 points off 4th place less than a year later. Its baffling. If he had come in from a foreign league he would have been crucified by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well some thought from last night.

Arsenal are league contenders, frequent leaders and have been imperious at home this season. They hadn't conceeded a goal in god knows how long, and had been scoring regularly at home.
    Coming of the back of a 5-1 drubbing, it made sense to fear a backlash.

Both teams definitly didn't want to loose and showed that through tentitive passing, loose passing and a large focus on defending. Neither side REALLY stretched themselves, we had a handful of attempts, Arsenal got on top for periods, but overall neither team carved out excellent chances in abundance.

We looked to be compact and organised defensively, and try break onto Arsenal. They arn't a counter attacking team at all. I mentioned in a post yesterday that Arsenal in recent weeks are being little exposed with their lack of pace, and their slow build up play can be somewhat easy to get organised against, and they rely too heavily now on intricute one twos, like Arsenal of old.
    Unfortunately our only pace in breaking was Valencia, or Rooney when he dropped deep. Anytime we did seem to break, Arsenal had plenty back, neither team really stretched the play.

I mentioned yesterday that I wouldn't be suprised if Cleverly started. Arsenal are not a combative midfield, but Cleverly has some good traits in his stamina and ability to press the ball. Yes I know he has been caught out a few times this season, but I feel overall he does a decent job pressing and harrassing other midfielders. He was alongside a somewhat satic Carrick, against three highly dynamic midfielders in Corzola, Ozil and Wilshire, with Rosicky coming central and Arteta there aswell. It was 2v5 at times. Cleverly make some good tackles, good interceptions and on a number of occasions nipped the ball from Arsenal. He also at times pushed forward to press the the team moved forward aswell, we had a sustained 10-15 minutes in that first half of high pressure, that Cleverly caused. He attempted two of three darts forward, that while didn't pay off, there was some signs that he can do it, but he's under certain instructions. Overall a decent performance and I'm somewhat happy for him after the spotlight he has been getting, he made some good interceptions and broke up play that in reality, Fellaini was bought to do, so he's doing something not natural to him, but did well against what is a highly dynamic midfield.

Ozil as mentioned yesterday, fell flat again. Simply struggling now at the tail end of the season, and it's down to fitness. Something I've always queried about him was his engine, his stamina, and like Real before Arsenal, it's starting to show. He doesn't have the engine to go for 90 minutes and simply just get's nackered. Not sure if he doesn't look after himself, or maybe has some sort of condition, but he just falls flat in games so often. I'd say if you dig out the stats there will be some evidence for this. Maybe needs time to adjust to the premier league, not having a winter break can be tough. But at the same time this is the issue that sidelined him from Madrid, how he just get's nackered after 60 minutes of play.

Vidic was really powerful last night, doing what he does best. He had a great battle with Giroud that swung back and forth. Did alot to dispell some murmurs that he was " at the right time to leave" and made up for a pretty poor display against Fulham.

The game itself was poor, and Arsenal were for the taking, but to a certain extent so we're we. We need to appreciate the situation here. We are a team shot of confidence, struggling to carve consistent chances and were playing against league contenders who are stonkingly strong at home this season. We could see Arsenal for the taking, but we need to appreciate the current mindset and form of our team, and I can see why we couldn't capitalise. We havnt been sucking teams in this year and smashing them on the counter like old. All in all while a win was really required, a draw isn't a bad result. The defense was MUCH better, there was some signs of intricute play, and it was another game with Mata, Rooney and RVP together, which needs time to find each others feet.

I can appreciate some might feel it was a poor result and another shoddy display, but I am relatively happy on reflection. RVP takes one of his two sitters and we have done a snatch and grab at one of the toughest grounds to win at this season. In fact RVP takes his sitters yestrday, and at Fulham, we are six points from two games, and probably talking about a turnaround. I'll give him a pass since he is only back recently, but really was sinful, especially the header. The ONE place the keeper would have a chance, his near post, and RVP puts it there :(

Maybe more misguided optimism from me, but happy with the result, the defence get's a clean sheet under it's belt, and I hope that we can take our chances now going forward, and use this to build on. It's absolutely NO POINT if we go to our next game and mess it up.

Arsenal are not league contenders, they have taken 5 points from playing United x2, Chelsea,Man City,Liverpool,Spurs & Everton.. 5 points from a possible 21 against direct rivals. They will drift away in the coming weeks and finish 4th

It wasnt a good result for United, it was as good as a defeat as we needed to win to maintain any prospect of a top 4 finish.

bullvine wrote: »
    If Fergie was currently in charge with these results and performance we'd be nearly all calling for him to go, things are that bad.

United have not scored 4 goals in a league game since the opening day of the season, that says it all really.

Sorry 4 goals in a game is the standard now is it?

How many teams in the top half have scored 4 or more this season in a game? Is that the new standard? City are setting records, it doesn't mean everyone else should be up there with them when it comes to goal scoring.

Last night was the first time Spurs scored 4 goals in a game since 2012.

People are loosing the run of themselves trying to find stuff to stable to Moyes. I'm all for people giving him ****, I'll give him plenty myself, but at least keep it in some form of context and reality.

EDIT *

Instances of teams scoring 4 goals or more

Liverpool - 8
    Man City - 8
    Chelsea - 2
    Manchester United - 1
    Arsenal - 1
    Spurs - 1

Hardly a nail in the coffin...

• Advertisement

Arsenal are not league contenders, they have taken 5 points from playing United x2, Chelsea,Man City,Liverpool,Spurs & Everton.. 5 points from a possible 21 against direct rivals. They will drift away in the coming weeks and finish 4th

It wasnt a good result for United, it was as good as a defeat as we needed to win to maintain any prospect of a top 4 finish.

Pretty wild statement, they have been there and there about's all season, having plenty of time at the top. While they aren't beating the top sides, they are annihilating the lower sides. That's where leagues are won or lost. They can afford a slip or loss to a big side, but they aren't slipping up against the lower sides like City and Chelsea.

Sorry have to entirely disagree. Plenty of instances where we have lost or dropped points to the top sides yet gone on to win the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

No
    Moyes has proven he is capable of making a good solid Top5 team consistently. The least that should be expected is to be a solid looking Top5 outfit under him as he clearly has a better standard of players and in Rooney/RVP/Mata he has 3 exceptional players touching world class on their day.

His biggest mistake obviously was to completely revamp the backroom staff and bring in his own. No harm being your own man and wanting to change things but a total change away from what was a VERY successful backroom environment was a huge error. What is interesting is that he surrounded himself by Neville and Giggs and you'd imagine that it would have helped to have that with him - it clearly hasn't. So effectively you have Manchester United players playing for last seasons Everton backroom staff and manager. Yet still underachieving from where he left them!

The question is of course, why can he not get the same level of performance from these players that he did from a limited Everton team? One answer is simple, that he is simply over his head and the players know it, they do not respect him and they are not playing for a manager they do not believe in. AVB was a prime example of this at Spurs, they realised he was a bluffer and practically downed tools.
    Another answer is that the players are in an awful state of transition and decline. Rio/Vidic/Giggs are finished and practically already out the door. Fletcher is only back and unfair to expect miracles from him. RVP/Rooney were injured alot and are not firing on all cylinders, strangely enough Rooney seems to play better when he is the only one to rely on! Then you have Evra who lets be honest if the french mutiny is anything to be taken seriously, he is not the guy you need in your team when the going gets tough! He hasn't played well in a number of seasons and can be seen strolling back in every game lately.

That leaves players that have never exactly been classed as great leaders in Carrick/Young/Cleverly/Valencia/Raph ... these would not get into any of the other top 4 sides.

You find alot out about your team when they chips are down. This is the first time most of them will ever have faced anything like this and regardless of Moyes and his tactics, the players are not responding. They are not showing any real pride. United are weak down the spine of the team, centre backs are weaker than in the past 10 years! That is a massive reason why things are not going well ... SAF allowed a situation happen that he never had a successor to Rio/Vidic properly installed. It should have been Evans, but he wasn't happy with him, then it should have been Jones but he messed the kid around in Midfield where he is very uncomfortable and time has passed on Smalling who is there too long and hasn't established himself.

What i am saying is yes Moyes is a massive part of the problem, but more so because he doesn't seem to be able to get a response from a group of players very accustomed to winning than his tactics. It runs deeper than just the manager. Now there is nothing to play for, it will probably only get worse until the season ends.

No
    Jesus wept.

Sorry 4 goals in a game is the standard now is it? Will you come down from the clouds you are on and have a look at what is actually happening in the league.

How many teams in the top half have scored 4 or more this season in a game? Is that the new standard? City are setting records, it doesn't mean everyone else should be up there with them when it comes to goal scoring.

People are loosing the run of themselves trying to find stuff to stable to Moyes. I'm all for people giving him ****, I'll give him plenty myself, but at least keep it in some form of context and reality.

Yea you sound like Moyes now they way your talking. Comparing United to Spurs, is that what we've become.

United who have probably put at least 4 goals past teams around 5-6 times a year now can't score goals with the forwards they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Pretty wild statement, they have been there and there about's all season, having plenty of time at the top. While they aren't beating the top sides, they are annihilating the lower sides. That's where leagues are won or lost. They can afford a slip or loss to a big side, but they aren't slipping up against the lower sides like City and Chelsea.

Sorry have to entirely disagree. Plenty of instances where we have lost or dropped points to the top sides yet gone on to win the title.

They havent annihilated the lower sides at all, the majority of there wins this season have been 2-1 or 3-1. If i extended it to the top 8, they have 6 points from a possible 24 so far. They cant beat any of the big teams and that will cost them because over the next 8 weeks they have Spurs,Chelsea,City & Everton hence the reason why i said they will drift. They have picked up all there points against lower opposition, something that United usually do with ease but have failed to do so this season.

As a matter of interest, as I can't recall specifics.

What backroom staff were removed from the club, to be replaced with Moyes own people?

Are we talking about Everyone in the background, coaches etc. or just was it just what we se on the bench re assistants and goalkeeping coach?

Rene wanted out to take a management position he was offered. OK that's fine.

I'm just interested to know what sort of change went on. I think people are making good points relating to that seismic change that might be havingt a negative impact. Moyes is alot more hands on with the training where as Ferguson was always hands of observing.
    Are the coaches that took the sessions previously still at the club, or are they now gone?

I know Rene worked with individual players, but I wasn't aware him or Phelan took actual full sessions, so I assume there is coaching staff still there, that used to take the sessions when Ferguson would just watch. Or am I totally wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Arsenal are not league contenders.

Absolutely ridiculous statement. The team 1 point off the top aren't title contenders. Righteo so.
    Arsenal are not league contenders, they have taken 5 points from playing United x2, Chelsea,Man City,Liverpool,Spurs & Everton.. 5 points from a possible 21 against direct rivals.

Fortunately for them, there are 20 teams in the league, not 7. They seem quite adept at picking up points where Chelsea & City are struggling.

No
    Sorry 4 goals in a game is the standard now is it?

EDIT *

Instances of teams scoring 4 goals or more

Liverpool - 8
    Man City - 8
    Chelsea - 2
    Manchester United - 1
    Arsenal - 1
    Spurs - 1

Hardly a nail in the coffin...

Last 4 seasons, 4 or more goals in a league game by United

2010 - 9
    2011 - 5
    2012 - 8
    2013 - 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No
    Giruilla wrote: »
    Thank you! I was thinking whats the point in even responding to a statement like that

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss that statement, its up there with statements from last summer like "There is no chance in hell that United finish outside the top four this season".

The performances of Juan Mata have indeed been not too dissimilar to those of Shinji Kagawa (when he actually got a game). Out of position, showing flashes of his skill without really influencing a game, getting bullied a little physically, attempting passes that only highlight the lack of movement around him.

He has got a few assists but they don't tell the whole story, Juan Mata has certainly not come in and changed anything about Uniteds performances or style of play.

Its early doors yet and things could improve for him, but come the end of the season I would not be too surprised to see conversations about Mata like there were about Kagawa, ie: wondering what went wrong with that world class no.10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

So you think Fergie wouldn't have got a top four position with the team he walked the league with last year (plus additions). I think it is you who is having a laugh.

Do you think we walked the league last year because of the brilliance of our squad? that's the first question.

The answer is no, we walked it because there was no credible opposition, it was embarrassing for English football that the worst united team of a generation could walk it, plus you could argue it's the only title United ever really bought - Robin van purse strings basically insured we won it out.

Yea you sound like Moyes now they way your talking. Comparing United to Spurs, is that what we've become.

United who have probably put at least 4 goals past teams around 5-6 times a year now can't score goals with the forwards they have.

That's twisting to suit your point there.

Considering Spurs have got, and had previously got, a really good attacking side, somewhat interesting comparison at least. But it was just something I saw on Opta last night and stuck in my mind, thought it was odd for them to have not scored more then 4 in so long, when you consider what they have had going forward.

The general point is your showing a lack of appreciation of what has gone on in other clubs. Promoted clubs used to splash some case on a striker hoping that maybe getting 15-20 goals from someone would keep them up. This year there was a shift, in newly promoted clubs saying "hold on if we can stop shipping goals we might have a chance". Most of the promoted sides strengthened their defences, so they aren't the whipping boys like you'd expect.

Arsenal have a on paper tremendous attacking side, yet have only scored 4 goals once. Same as us, and have been top of the league plenty. Chelsea with their outrageous attacking options have only scored +4 twice.

I'm just saying I don't agree with that being some yard of measure by which the team or manager should be critisced, shows that sort of lack of respect and information of what's going on in the league, that is probably making it harder for this season to be accepted by most.

Sure we should on paper beat a lot of teams, teams beneath us in the league etc. But this isn't Football Manager, your not guaranteed to slaughter a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If Moyes is to stay he has to grow a pair of balls and get rid of some of his backroom staff. He needs to bring in experienced staff who will challenge him. He needs an assistant manager who is very good on the tactical side of the game.

Look at Querioz the football we played under him when he was meant to be responsible for running the tactics. But look at him as a Manager he is missing other qualities to succeed. To succeed you need a manager and an assistant manager who both bring different skills. I know Querioz would never work under Moyes but it would make a big difference getting in a tactically strong assistant manager to help out.

No
    tossy wrote: »
    Do you think we walked the league last year because of the brilliance of our squad? that's the first question.

The answer is no, we walked it because there was no credible opposition, it was embarrassing for English football that the worst united team of a generation could walk it, plus you could argue it's the only title United ever really bought - Robin van purse strings basically insured we won it out.

The points totals for this season are comparible to last season - United have regressed massively in terms of results, not other teams raising their game to get closer to the points tally.

Our squad isn't brilliant, I have never said it is - I would have said at the start of the season that it was a good bit better than Liverpool, Spurs and Everton though, yet we are behind all 3, and Chelsea, City and Arsenal.

United's position is not down to other teams improving, it is down to us being absolutely crap, and that is down to Moyes, in the main.

No
    United are not other clubs though, this is greatest team in the history of the premiership. They have consistently scored lots of goals and also conceded a fair few. If the team put together a couple of big wins in between the dodgy performances the pressure would be off Moyes but they haven't and its down to him and nothing else.

Last 4 seasons, 4 or more goals in a league game by United

2010 - 9
    2011 - 5
    2012 - 8
    2013 - 7

Thanks for digging those stats up. I'm having a flick look through ESPN stats for previous season gone by. (where I pulled my numbers from)

It's a fair point to be honest though that I didn't realise until looking back at previous seasons. But at the same time I do feel the lower teams were more whipping boys, they are much stronger defensively this year.

It would be interesting to take those four seasons above and get comparisons to the top 4 etc. I would assume that in title winning years we had the most. But I think that can look a bit out of context. Can you easily pull the numbers for Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Liverpool for those seasons aswell?

No
    Thanks for digging those stats up. I'm having a flick look through ESPN stats for previous season gone by. (where I pulled my numbers from)

It's a fair point to be honest though that I didn't realise until looking back at previous seasons. But at the same time I do feel the lower teams were more whipping boys, they are much stronger defensively this year.

It would be interesting to take those four seasons above and get comparisons to the top 4 etc. I would assume that in title winning years we had the most. But I think that can look a bit out of context. Can you easily pull the numbers for Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Liverpool for those seasons aswell?

I counted by eye, here you go!

arse chel pool city
    2013 6 6 6 3
    2012 4 4 1 8
    2011 4 5 1 4
    2010 8 9 4 5

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement