Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod Warning: Post #7871

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I base my opinions on gifs.

I base my opinions on the aggregate of the opinions of posters in here.
    • I've never watched Kroos play, but I think he's exactly what United need.
    • I'm wavering between thinking SAF should stop going to games and thinking that that is a ridiculous proposition.
    • I thought Fellaini was exactly what United needed about a year ago, now I think he's the worst player ever.
    • I think Moyes and Woodward are fools for not signing Ozil, even though I don't know why.
    • I think Evra is a liability and that Baines is too old to be bothered with, but Coentrao should have been got.
    • I think Nani is terrible. No wait no I don't. No wait I do. No, I don't.
    • United would have won the league if Kagawa played more.
    • Valencia needs to be dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

At least with Dubai being mainly Muslim,the team won't see too many crosses.

Get's coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Hi Everyone, New to this thread but having been reading posts here the last 3 years at least and some of the stuff the I read I just cant believe it. I hope to provide valuable insite into the world of Manchester United, the greatest football club on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

No
    NUTZZ wrote: »
    Lapping it up in the sun in Dubai...guess they just leave the worrying to the fans;

vidic_RVP_instagram-459545.jpg
    Robin Van Persie (right) and Nemanja Vidic (left) enjoy lunch after touching down in Dubai [INSTAGRAM]

Van Persie wrote: "Enjoying good lunch with my bro Vida."

They have the heads of two fella's that were on a mother and father of all bozze's the night before.

• I'm wavering between thinking SAF should stop going to games and thinking that that is a ridiculous proposition.
    • I thought Fellaini was exactly what United needed about a year ago, now I think he's the worst player ever.
    • I think Moyes and Woodward are fools for not signing Ozil, even though I don't know why.
    • I think Evra is a liability and that Baines is too old to be bothered with, but Coentrao should have been got.

How long before we add "next year is our year" to the list:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

zerks wrote: »
    How long before we add "next year is our year" to the list:(

Not long

• Next year is our year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

beno619 wrote: »
    The saddest thing about the Kagawa conversation is if he played for Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool we would be discussing if he's the best 10# in the country. This is a player capable of being the PFA player of the year.

Ah for God's sake. You don't know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its not a stretch to think that if played in a team that utilised his talents properly (as we have seen in glimpses at United) Kagawa would be a star in the league.

Ah for God's sake. You don't know this.

Sadly,we probably would.Perhaps not Chelsea as Jose likes big athletic players.

Look at Liverpool with Coutihno,he's similar in style to Kagawa & is thriving in their system.
    We had Scholes who wasn't the fastest,couldn't tackle but played in a team that used movement as their main weapon,not getting the ball 30 yards from their own goal & kicking it long to the wings constantly.How would Scholes in his prime fare in this current team the way we are playing? He'd look anonymous as the ball flew over his head time & again.
    Cleverley had to spend most of the other night literally standing beside Carrick in order to get a pass,when he pushed on in the first half,he was ignored.

Arsenal have Cazorla,City have Silva,Liverpool got Coutihno & Mata was Chelsea's poty for 2 seasons before he joined us,we now have 2 players of similar style but Moyes is like a monkey with a box of Lego trying to figure out how to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

No mention of TC23??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

ericzeking wrote: »
    No mention of TC23??

That one goes without saying. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

No
    Moyes is like a monkey with a box of Lego trying to figure out how to use them.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

brinty wrote: »
    Tis common knowledge they had nothing to do with that deal..
    Fergie and Gill got that done..and 3rd parties..
    Moyes and woodward had nothing to do with it

Been a few years since I read a post on boards that made me spurt coffee onto my monitor.

Seriously, I've asked about five times now, and spent an hour searching yesterday. There is no confirmed outline of Fergusons role in the club, bar being an honoury executive. Which normally is just a consultant, with no executive functions, powers and most importantly, voting or veto capabilities.

He's there to give his advice and opinion on matters, that I'm sure is considered heavily, but he has no power or authority to essentially do anything, bar represent the club at gala events and conferences.

People need to stop making outrageous assumptions about his role, when there is no confirmation available on his actual purpose or position, bar what you would expect from an honorary executive.

Bill Gates is one of the wealthiest men in the world and built Microsoft from the ground up, and even he doesn't have the final say at Microsoft anymore (despite being majority shareholder afaik).

Behind the football club is a business, a highly evolved, corporate, complex business. And it would be aces if people didn't know how that machine works, they didn't form opinions or make statements they feel is fact, without having a shred of understanding of that process.

I'm actually at the point of wanting to email the United press office, to get some confirmation on Fergusons role. It's genuinely not available and specified, anywhere I have looked.

Is Bobby Charlton a voting executive with the board, or a non-executive that provides consultancy ? I'd assume they have the same role, and afaik Charlton is a non-executive, which essentially means having **** all voting or veto powers, and basically just being an advisor.

people calling for the head of moyes after less than one year in charge don't know much about football. it was always going to be a difficult season when fergie left. one season without champions league football is not the end of the world. Utd will spend big in the summer and hopefully will challenge for league next season and champions league the season after. Vida is leaving and so too will probably Rio and Pat. 3 of the best defenders the premier league has ever seen, going to be really hard to replace them. so really this summer Utd will be spending big on a centre half, a left back, a world class centre midfield player and a world class striker, probably Cavani. More than likely Kagawa will go back to Dortmund as part of the dead to get either reus or gundogan. Hernandez will be leaving at the end of season too sad to say. Nani will go to Juventus as part of the deal to try and sign Vidal. Toni Kroos will not be joining United he will sign a new contract with Bayern after the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No
    bangkok wrote: »
    people calling for the head of moyes after less than one year in charge don't know much about football. it was always going to be a difficult season when fergie left.

Holier than thou boll0x, to be honest.

Yeah, this season was always going to be tough - no chance someone could have taken over from Fergie and been able to put out a side to beat Fulham at home, or West Brom at home, or Newcaslte at home, or Everton at home, or Sunderland over two legs. NONE - we have such a terrible squad we are lucky to be in 7th, YEAH?

As tough as this season should have got is a bit of a battle for 4th spot.

Moyes has us playing terrible football, and getting poor results.

In addition, the transition from Fergie is ONLY fecking Moyes. We have seen feck all transition on the pitch, so it has been an absolutely wasted season as well as an horrific one.

We are stuck with Moyes, but if the board had balls they'd fire him and look for someone with an actual plan and idea how to play football at the top level - getting it wide and hoofing it central is not on. The lack of support runs and movement from United is a disgrace and that is tactical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No
    people calling for the head of moyes after less than one year in charge don't know much about football. it was always going to be a difficult season when fergie left. one season without champions league football is not the end of the world. Utd will spend big in the summer and hopefully will challenge for league next season and champions league the season after. Vida is leaving and so too will probably Rio and Pat. 3 of the best defenders the premier league has ever seen, going to be really hard to replace them. so really this summer Utd will be spending big on a centre half, a left back, a world class centre midfield player and a world class striker, probably Cavani. More than likely Kagawa will go back to Dortmund as part of the dead to get either reus or gundogan. Hernandez will be leaving at the end of season too sad to say. Nani will go to Juventus as part of the deal to try and sign Vidal. Toni Kroos will not be joining United he will sign a new contract with Bayern after the world cup.

We dont know anything about football? Well we seem to know more than Moyes who seems to think crossing is a good tactic and we lose due to luck.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No
    I don't think any other PL manager would have done worse than Moyes this season.

Even Holloway would have made us attack better I feel. Maybe Pulis might have us doing as poorly but even he would have signed a few CM's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No
    I'd agree with the base fact that a year with CL football wouldn't kill us, and that it was always going to be tough after Fergie left.

But to do so would be to completely ignore the manner in which we are failing to qualify for CL football, and how tough Moyes actually seems to be finding it.

8 points from the 21 available in 2014 is not "finding it tough". It's a show that Moyes doesn't have a clue what he's doing. I could have taken 5th or 6th, or even 7th, if it was a close fought battle with signs of transition and a plan.

Instead, we are way, way behind the pack, and with our current form, it could well turn into a fight for 7th. Worth noting that Southampton (12/21 points) are actually creeping up on us, and while some people are focusing on what Liverpool are doing 11 points ahead of us, we should probably be keeping an eye on Southampton 3 points behind us....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

No
    Agree with the sentiment that Moyes has basically been a bad choice. I fully understand the issues he had when he took over from Fergie, a legend in the game and a master at getting the most out of people. Lots of managers would have struggled to some extent. Also the club has been very irresponsible allowing the backbone of the team all entering their last year of their contract at the same time (Rio, Vidic and Evra). These are the problems Moyes has faced, we all know this.

However at no stage have I seen any progression, no learning from mistakes. Stoke was it for me, a club struggling for form and United apparently looking for CL places and we looked at the same level, despite just purchasing one of the best attacking midfielders in the league. The team look as if they are waiting for a new manager tbh. Hopefully the board do the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

No

Instead, we are way, way behind the pack, and with our current form, it could well turn into a fight for 7th. Worth noting that Southampton (12/21 points) are actually creeping up on us, and while some people are focusing on what Liverpool are doing 11 points ahead of us, we should probably be keeping an eye on Southampton 3 points behind us....

And a Newcastle team that has completely died by only picking up 4 points from 8 games are still only 5 points behind us.

Scary stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Januzaj was always either our best player or second best player when he started. Even when he comes on as a sub, it's so obvious how the whole game changes.

Januzaj will start in the champions leauge in place of Mata, I have no doubt about that, I'd much prefer Januzaj than Valencia/Young starting , at least he offers an real attacking threat.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Florentino Pérez up to his old tricks I see and expressing his interest in Vidal via Marca.

No
    Unearthly wrote: »
    And a Newcastle team that has completely died by only picking up 4 points from 8 games are still only 5 points behind us.

Scary stuff

Yeah, but they really are dying a death right now.

I checked out a form table which shows how all teams are doing over their last six games. Around us, in terms of a battle for 4th (CL place) and 5th (EL place), you've got...

Liverpool (14/18)
    Spurs (13/18)
    Everton (8/18)
    Man United (8/18)
    Southampton (12/18)
    Newcastle (4/18)

After that, you're going back to Swansea who are 14 points behind us. I would hope that means we can safely say we'll get at least Top 9 :P Surely we won't drop that many points.

But in terms of "The Battle for 4th", you've got an inform Liverpool who are actually the joint-most inform team at the moment (based, again, on the last 6 games) with Chelsea. Spurs are doing well as well, mainly thanks to how they've got Ade playing his socks off. Everton are the same as us right now, but Southampton are unbeaten in their last six games now (3W & 3D).

No
    If we don't get 4th, and we won't, I really don't care where we finish in the league. As long we are not relegated 15th is as bad a 7th for me. Just don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Valencia crossed the ball once against Arsenal and it was unsuccessful

We play with two right backs

everyone seems to forget that David Gill also left in the summer, a massive piece of the fergie jigsaw also and one of the best CEO's in European football. He was replaced with an inexperienced accountant. It was ed woodward that bid 25m for fabregas. Moyes wanted fabregas, was the no1 target for the summer and woodward made a mess of it. Instead of bidding 37m straight off they bid 25 and then 28m. both refused. Fellaini was a panic buy for 27.5m. Carrick missed 6 weeks, rvp 6 weeks, rio 6 weeks probably 3 of the biggest players for man utd last season all were massive losses for moyes. rooney also out for 4 weeks. kagawa hasn't improved at all on last season. Valencia has been terrible, anyone could see this. Liverpool were always going to be better than utd this season, no European football, so were city and Chelsea and arsenal when they signed ozil gave them a massive lift although he has been poor enough, he lifted the players around him. spurs spent 100m on players in the summer and adebayor came back into the team. Everton signed Barry, Mccarthy, lukaku, barkley came from no where and have the best right back and left back in the league. united had to play welbeck or hernandez up front for a number of games as rvp and rooney were both injured. 1 poor out of 20 for united well I for one can live with it. Cannot wait for the summer when united will be linked with and buy some world class players. No7 shirt and No9 shirt WILL be filled this summer...BELIEVE ME. exciting times ahead

If we don't get 4th, and we won't, I really don't care where we finish in the league. As long we are not relegated 15th is as bad a 7th for me. Just don't care.

40 point swing between us & Liverpool from last season,that's criminal seeing as we have the same squads as last season & we've added £60 million worth of players.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Florentino Pérez up to his old tricks I see and expressing his interest in Vidal via Marca.

Probably as a present for the new manager with rumours persisting that Ancelloti is a gonner in the Summer,wonder how he'd like Manchester?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Fabregas was speaking in an interview for BBC's Football Focus today and said he was flattered to be linked with United and considers Tom Cleverley & Danny Welbeck as great young talents....

• Advertisement

No
    Feeling the love today boys and girls http://www.boards.ie/love.php

I mainly only really post here, so...

Username|Compatibility
    lordgoat|♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
    The_Kew_Tour |♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
    Mars Bar|♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
    v3ttel|♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
    Jimmy Iovine|♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
    Donnielighto|♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
    Whatsisname|♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
    magnumbud|♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
    Pro. F|♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
    tallaghtmick|♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
    GavRedKing|♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Going by usernames I dont think I got one female myself!
    We'll keep going with the 'United is my Valentine' line right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

No
    There was a point on Wednesday night when we had the ball on the wing and instead of crossing it, we attempted to walk the ball into the box. From the wing, and with the players we had moving into the box at the time, this seemed like an odd move and stunk of reactionary movement based on the criticism of all the crosses last week.

I've been made to look like a fool because I laughed at the people who said that Utd would struggle for 4th place this year. What did they know that I didn't? Was it how bad moyes was? How tough it would be to get over fergie? Or did our team actually look that bad?

Moyes worries me, and has done for sometime because he so obviously looks out of his depth and he is behaving like a man who has been uncovered for what he is, inexperienced and untested on the big stage.

The closest he got to a big stage was when Everton got to the champions league. He didn't last too long on that stage though, as they were dumped out in the first round.

Why anyone, no less a heralded figure like Sir Alex Ferguson, would think this was the type of CV that a new man it's manager should have is very worrying to me.

But it's the behaviour...it's the ignorance that he is showing to the press and to the fans in the face of legitimate questions that has convinced me that we have seen as much know how as were going to see from me moyes.

Worrying times indeed as long as sir Alex still has a say in things. Remember, to sack ferguson now would be to admit that Sir Alex Ferguson made a mistake. If that eventually was possible, jaap stamm would still be at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

No
    people calling for the head of moyes after less than one year in charge don't know much about football.

Please enlighten us football neanderthals who are calling for Moye's sacking with more of your expansive knowledge of the game. I'll look forward to reading more of your insightful excerpts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Pretty much. After 4th it's irrelevant.

• Advertisement

No
    bantee wrote: »
    Please enlighten us football neanderthals who are calling for Moye's sacking with more of your expansive knowledge of the game. I'll look forward to reading more of your insightful excerpts.

I won the FA cup and Champions league with Wolves in Football Manager 2014 last night.

Just sayin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

No
    Username
    killwill
    Pro. F
    Paul Tergat
    adox
    The_Kew_Tour
    zerks
    Blatter
    arodabomb
    kryogen
    Ando's Saggy Bottom
    Jimmy Iovine

killwill is my sweetheart for the second year running. Congratulations darling <3

He doesn't thank my posts nearly as much since my username change so I think he really did take a shine to me and is nursing a broken heart thinking I'm long gone. Poor chap.

bantee wrote: »

well for one, this is man utd not Chelsea, we do not sack managers after less than 1 year in charge. I have been in dressing rooms when a new manager came in and straight away some players do not react to the new manager. they are not his players. you have to remember Alex was there for 26 YEARS. players are used to his methods, standing back on the training field observing the training. Moyes is hands on, has his own views, some players are going to take a while to adjust, some players wont like the new regime, some players will want a new challenge. for example vida is leaving, pat will more than likely leave (a massive player in the dressing room) giggs will retire, rio more than likely. Hernandez is def leaving and I have been told so. moyes will spend £100m+ on new talent for the squad. if he is 7th this time next year he will be out of a job and Man utd will be looking for a new manager. The question is who is good enough to manage man utd?? Give me a shortlist of who you thing right now is qualified enough to manage United and who would be available......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No
    Probably as a present for the new manager with rumours persisting that Ancelloti is a gonner in the Summer,wonder how he'd like Manchester?

I've seen that rumour a few times now crazy to think he could get the sack. He wouldn't be a bad call he did win the pl and fa cup so he has a good knowledge of the English league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No
    beno619 wrote: »
    The saddest thing about the Kagawa conversation is if he played for Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool we would be discussing if he's the best 10# in the country. This is a player capable of being the PFA player of the year.

Instead he'll ride off into the sun and tear it up in another country :(

In fairness he's had quite a few chances and has failed to impress. That wouldn't be any different at any other club. He's struggling to adapt to the English game. He deserves more time though if he's willing to stick around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I've never even heard of this Arodabomb guy/girl?

Pro f my third match? I'm pretty sure the system is flawed

• arodabomb
    • Whatsisname
    • Pro. F
    • Bombleswizzum
    • Timmyctc
    • Mars Bar
    • The_Kew_Tour
    • tallaghtmick
    • GavRedKing
    • Donnielighto
    • killwill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No
    BELIEVE ME. exciting times ahead

No I dont believe you. The next exciting event at Manchester Utd will be when Moyes is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

The Kew Tour is my main match!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnt07MyfZNAoxj3AkkFrMny0qPXblk725aRtqJP8MsoAvM-uQc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

No
    if he is 7th this time next year he will be out of a job and Man utd will be looking for a new manager. The question is who is good enough to manage man utd?? Give me a shortlist of who you thing right now is qualified enough to manage United and who would be available......

So you're saying give him another year? If we finish 6th or below this season, he should be sacked the day after the last fixture.
    It's just a pity he hasn't been sacked already as the signs were very apparent early days. TBH, I wanted him gone after the Everton defeat.

As many have mentioned already, you don't take a PL winning team that far down the league the next season.
    Whovever comes in, should be there as early as possible to try get some business done before the WC.
    If we persist with Moyes and his tactics, we will struggle in the exact same position or even lower next season.

Plenty of managers have been listed in here lately who are both currently in jobs, could be enticed by us, or are out of work; Laudrup, Ancellotti, Simeone, Hiddink, Klopp to name a few.

No
    Corvo wrote: »
    The Kew Tour is my main match!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnt07MyfZNAoxj3AkkFrMny0qPXblk725aRtqJP8MsoAvM-uQc
    Lordgoat is mine, by a freaking mile!

No
    well for one, this is man utd not Chelsea,

Sadly, your right. While they may sack managers too quickly, you can bet your house they wouldn't have let a manager under-preform to the level Moyes has. In fact, I struggle to think of many of the bigger teams in Europe who'd be happy to let him keep taking us down the path he is right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

gwzz.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

No
    I hope pro. F and your airbag get matched :D

My top one was kew was my top match as well so he's been a bit of a slut it seems :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Fourth year in a row that Mars Bar tops my list...when are you going to make a decent man of me? :p

screenshot_01.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement